PDA

View Full Version : Rise of the Crypt Lords (E6, solo) - Thread Four

Kaptin Keen
2014-09-01, 06:31 PM
30 years ago, the Crypt Lords arose.

Their existance had long been rumored and prophesied, but no one really believed the old tales. If such a terrible evil had once existed, how was it ever defeated? And once defeated, how could it rise again?

There may never be an answer to those questions, but the facts are inarguable: The Seven rose, and with them rose armies of the dead, an insurmountable tide of walking corpses. The nations of the world banded together, stalwart knights and masters of the arcane, faithful priests and brave footmen. All to no avail.

It's not easy to fight an enemy that can run, day and night, for weeks on end, without ever tiring. It's hard to face an enemy that never breaks, never routs, never fears. And enemy for whom any and every sacrifice of troops is acceptable.

An enemy whose numbers increase, every time one of your own falls.

The township of Helgen (meaning saint in Danish) is far from any of the battlefronts. Of the Seven Cryptlords, the armies of Űlhamac and Chor are engaged a thousand miles to the north, while Esprecht and Phystos are pushing in from the west and east, respectively. Ur-Chraile has been spotted far to the south, but has thus far avoided combat, while the last two, Odo and Skyth remain unaccounted for.

Until this two weeks ago.

The Town of Helgen:

Helgen is a walled town of 2000 souls - though at present, only around 600 remain: The old, the weak, the infirm. Also a few of dubious morals: Deserters, looters, thieves. Finally, there are some who simply wasn't around when the Kings conscriptors came around, hunters and farmers and so on.

All is not well in Helgen. Crops go untended, stores are running low, and a few old men try to fill the role of constables. The skies are heavy with black clouds, the rains are constant, and the town is in open decay without a populace to maintain it.

Even far from the front, the price of war is heavy.

Then one morning, the citizens that remain woke to a chilling sight. A ring of thralls and soulless surround the town, shoulder to shoulder, thousands of them against the towns scant hundreds. Above their encampment the the red, fanged banner of Skyth the Relentless can be seen.

Since, it has turned out that anyone who now dies will rise again as a thrall or a soulless. This is the necromantic power of Skyth at work. Presumably.

There is no rescue, and no real option for defence - there are simply too few armed men in town to effectively man the walls. And the fact that the enemy is just standing there, motionsless, patient, only prolongs and deepens the sense of doom and despair.

Last night, you had a dream.

Vahhn
2014-09-01, 06:55 PM
Darius - Servant of the God (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=1003001)

Darius awakes in shock. It has been around an year that his communing with god had become stronger. And now that dream. He was not prepared, but he had to live. To live so he could get stronger and strike down Skyth. He could no longer remain in the city for long trying to help as many as he could. If the undead decided to strike he would most likely perish, and the hope his god had put in him would be in vain.

Brother Cassius had been his spiritual guide. He would have to talk with him about this revelation.

(Assuming the game starts at morning)
Darius says his prayers on the morning, dons his armor, catch a fast breakfast in his small home in town and leaves for the church in a hurry.

(In case its later he will be more careful - the city is not safe)

Spot check 1d20+2

Vahhn
2014-09-01, 07:03 PM
Messed up a bit there:

1d20+2

Vahhn
2014-09-01, 07:08 PM
Seems it been a while since i don't do this :smallredface:

[roll0]
Hopefully there is a way to merge these posts...

Kaptin Keen
2014-09-01, 07:35 PM
As a cleric:

You know Brother Cassius. Throughout your life, he has been a spiritual guide to you - but more than that, he has been a friend. He has taught you religion, and with him you have studied the sacred texts. Because of your friendship with him, you are well prepared to combat the undead. You have 3 vials of holy water, you have a scroll of aid, and you have a Eagle's Splendor.

You also know Orth Frummen. Where Cassius instructed you in the gentle aspects of faith, of healing, of decidation to the community - Orth taught you how to fight. Because unlike Cassius, who is frail and pacifistic, you are strong, tough and well able to wield a sword in defense of those in need. Orth is a dwarf, ancient now, but with experience from a dozen campaigns.

As things would have it, you don't live near the temple. Instead, you live on the hill near the mill - and here, there is also a small additional shrine. It is not specifically dedicated to any specific god, but serves all faiths. It takes the shape of a small pavillon, where anyone can light candles, spend a moment in prayer or similar. Sometimes there is a monk here, a young man dressed in orange. He acts as a care taker, you think. His name is something along the lines of Shing or Shang or something.

You rent the house in which you live from the temple. It is small and simple, but remarkably well built and sturdy. It is also equipped with most of what you need out of life. You do not have any food, however - simply because you take most meals at the temple.

It is morning. Fogs line the streets, and sullen clouds chase each other across the sky. There are occasional bursts of sunligt, but it is a day full of the promise of rain.

Where do you want to go?

You already said: The temple.

You make your way through soggy streets, towards the temple - halfway across town. The route takes you through the increasingly empty merchants row. Shops are here, but the wares have long since been bought or looted. This is likely the least safe part of town: With the shop keepers mostly gone, ruffians, deserters and bandits have moved in.

However, you're in full armor. Maybe they'll think twice about going for you.

On the other hand, going around wont cost you much time.

Vahhn
2014-09-01, 08:51 PM
Darius thinks to himself: I don't have much time to lose, but there is no point in risking a fight for few minutes...

I take the way around to reach the temple.

Kaptin Keen
2014-09-02, 06:00 AM
You walk through one of the nicer parts of town, along the western edge of Merchants Row. You actually see a few children playing in the street - you're fairly close to the temple now, and there are guards around. They'll be safe enough.

Then you spot something odd. Around one house is a hedge, and all but invisible inside the vegetation you spot ... something. It looks like a spear or shaft driven into the ground, adorned with the bones and skulls of animals - a totem of some sort.

It's propably nothing - right?

Your mail box is full, so I can't write you stuff. However, I wanted to say that getting allies is HARD. I made Erica jump through a whole string of loops, before she got a poorly statted commoner to hang out with.

Vahhn
2014-09-02, 07:44 AM
Darius is curious - perhaps more then he should be. What purpose could this "totem" serve? Just child's play? Is it for supposed protection? Or something else...

I strap on my shield and approach slowly trying to hear if there is something else on the other side of the hedge.
listen: [roll0]
When about 15 feet distance I try to remember if this could serve any purpose with what I know
K. Religion: [roll1]

I realize getting allies is hard. I thought it could be a little easier to me since I don't have a companion, but I'm aware I might not be able to get any ally soon. I'm still going to try anyway - having a fight partner or a more roguish ally could be invaluable

Kaptin Keen
2014-09-02, 09:10 AM
((you should propably spend a little time getting re-aquainted with the dice roller =))

As you approach the totem, you have a brief moment of dread and foreboding. Hairs stand up on the back of your neck, and panic quickens your blood. However, nothing happens - except you have a distinct sense of being watched. (you may roll spot, if so inclined)

Vahhn
2014-09-02, 10:47 AM
These undead might be more resourceful then I thought!

Darius gets his sword and looks around cautiously.

If he spots anything out of the ordinary I will decide my next action based on that. If not I will detect magic on the totem and if it is magical I will hack it with my sword.

Lets go with your manual rolls for listen and religion. I also like the idea on how you use the Knowledge skills - rolling only when it matters.

Spot: [roll0]

If i don't spot anything I will use detect magic and look at the totem and the hedge nearby.

If it is magic (and there is nothing else magic around) I will approach it and hack it with my sword.

Kaptin Keen
2014-09-03, 05:08 AM
Looking over the totem, you spot nothing particularly unusual about it. A slight shimmer, perhaps? Nah, you might have just imagined that.

Dextrous hands put this together. It is quite cleverly done, the wings and rib cages and skulls of birds and rats forming intricate patterns. You can think of no one in town who'd make something like this - but then admittedly, you don't know everyone. Less so now than before, since there are new arrivals of less than upright moral fibre.

You cast a magical orizon, to detect magic. The totem glows an unhealthy looking red. Without further ado, you cut it apart, and the glow fades.

Do you move along to the temple? Or do you have other plans?

Vahhn
2014-09-03, 09:59 AM
I try to remember who lives in the house. Maybe Cassius will know....

I use the rest of the detect magic minute to inspect the area nearby the entrance of the house, and if I don't know who lives there or have not found any other magic aura I move along to the temple.

Kaptin Keen
2014-09-03, 11:05 AM
It is the house of some merchant or other, you forget which one - it's abandoned now tho. Presumably the owner was one of those who fled before Skyth turned up on the doorstep.

You proceed to the temple. These last several days, Cassius hasn't been doing well. You're a little unclear on why, but it clearly has to do with the army of Skyth surrounding the town.

As you approach, you spot some commotion in front of the Temple. A number of men are clearly upset about something, shouting and waving their arms at Emily - a young healer attached to the Temple, and an apprentice of Cassius as far as you know.

Vahhn
2014-09-03, 11:51 AM
Darius puts away his sword and shield to look less threatening and approaches the temple saying:

Now what is happening here? Please calm down everyone! - *Ahem* - Now life haven't been easy for anyone these days and I'm sure Emily and Brother Cassius are trying their best to help, as they always have been. Now please go back to your homes and let the girl attend to her chores.

After saying his piece he will try to pass through the crowd and stand beside Emily.

Diplomacy: [roll0]

Vahhn
2014-09-04, 08:21 AM
(Just in case its not clear - If the crowd disperses Darius will go in the temple with Emily and ask her whats happening). If they do not I will stand there and try to understand whats happening.

Kaptin Keen
2014-09-04, 08:32 AM
(Just in case its not clear - If the crowd disperses Darius will go in the temple with Emily and ask her whats happening). If they do not I will stand there and try to understand whats happening.

There are about half a dozen of them - you see both anger an anxiety in their faces. The burlies of their number, a large man you vaguely remember is a butcher or something along those lines, shouts at Emily:

"Brother Cassius may have been our leader since the mayor was murdered - but all he has done these last many days is dodder about, mumble about signs and omens, and look in old books for answers to questions that demand we focus on right here, and right now! And if Cassius isn't going to provide leadership, someone bloody well has to. And I'm telling you, we need access to the church coffers, to the armory, and we need to put someone capable in command of the watch!"

It's clear he considers himself to be that someone.

You know Emily to be a kind, friendly creature. She has done nothing to deserve this mans anger, and she doesn't really have the tools to deal with it either.

On the other hand, he has a point: Cassius hasn't exactly been acting as the leader the town needs.

Vahhn
2014-09-04, 12:42 PM
We all have our busy days - don't worry, take your time if needed. I have been a little free of time because my university is on strike and all I'm doing is a side project I have with an ex-boss of mine. I wasn't impatient or hurrying you - but I can see how that post could seem that way - sorry.

If my memory serves me well you are a butcher right? What was your name again? I am Darius in case you don't know me - a servant of the god and a warrior myself. You raise a good point, we do need more organization. You seem like a capable man and you certainly realize that continuing to shout at Emily won't help anything. I'll talk with Cassius about what you said. Give me an hour.

After a brief pause Darius adds: Thanks - the town certainly needs people like you right now.

Darius will hear his name and head inside (If they let me). Maybe I should talk with Orth about this.... I'm looking for Cassius.

Kaptin Keen
2014-09-05, 07:05 AM
The big man is visibly taken aback for a moment. He blink, then replies:

"Yea. Right. Yea, I'm Gunnar, the sausage maker." For now, it seems the fight has gone out of him. He's likely trying to puzzle out whether he just won - or lost.

You head inside. The temple is simply a large room with an altar at the far end. Behind the altar there are stairs leading down into the crypt, and on the left is a door that leads to Cassius' study. You head that way.

When you open the door, a startling sight greets you. Cassius generally keeps the room tidy and neat - but now scrolls and parchments are scattered everywhere. Cassius himself is dishevelled, looking like it's been a couple of days since he's slept. Or bathed. He sits cross legged on the floor, deep in concentration - meditation, prayer, something.

Vahhn
2014-09-05, 06:48 PM
Darius looks around concerned. Cassius hasn't been himself these days, and now with all the complaints about the lack of a leader... He can't shake the sinking feeling that the priest won't be able to handle it, but then again with the mayor dead who could? He must be very tired... He walks around trying to discern what is he researching about hoping that the priest will notice his presence and talk with him.

If he does not, after giving a look on what he is reading Darius will say:

Cassius? Sorry to bother your meditation. There were some matters I wanted to discuss with you. If he doesn't come out of his meditation I will try to gently wake him up.

Kaptin Keen
2014-09-06, 04:05 AM
What Cassius is doing ties into the history of the town of Helgen, and the history of the Crypt Lords.

The Crypt Lords invaded before, centuries ago. When they were defeated, various lesser threats remained - among them the Shade of Ulhamac, a lesser incarnation of the Crypt Lord Ulhamac. The Shade was defeated here, where the town of Helgen would eventually be built, by St. Anton. It is even named for that fact - in the old tongue, Helgen means Saint.

When St. Anton defeated the Shade, he wore a holy symbol. Scattered around Cassius' study are illustrations and illuminations showing that holy symbol, surrounded by a powerful golden glow, scattering the undead minions of the Shade and burning them with holy fire. And since St. Anton, and his holy symbol, was interred here, in Helgen, in the crypt below the temple. And so, understandably, Cassius invested his hopes in retrieving that powerful magic item to use against Skyth.

However, St. Anton's holy symbol rests on the floor - a simple wooden thing, entirely unenchanted.

You can hardly imagine what's going through Cassius' mind right now - but it's clear his high hopes have been brutally dashed.

When you speak, he looks up. He looks very, very tired.

Vahhn
2014-09-06, 04:35 PM
"I had a dream today. God came to me and tasked me with fighting Skyth. He said I was unprepared, but no one else could do it. I understand what you were searching for. Had it been there - it would truly be a blessing. But it was not meant to be like that." Darius crouches and gets the holy symbol from the floor. "This also mean though that the power St. Anton used to defeat the shade was his own devotion... and if he could do it, maybe we can too."

Darius stop speaking for a while. He was hoping Cassius' hope were not so utterly destroyed that the words he just said would mean nothing to him. After a time he continues: "With the mayor dead the city needs a leader. You were this man, and while I think your search for the symbol was justified, it is time to move on. The people are scared, and it is our duty to continue fighting until we draw our last breath."

Darius had a number of things to ask him, and hear his opinion on, but at this time the city needed him too much. "Brother, we need you back. I will do what I can to help, and will try to work out some solution for the most immediate problems - and while I do that you will rest."

Kaptin Keen
2014-09-08, 01:42 PM
Brother Cassius looks completely blank for a moment, then ... ever so slowly ... raises his eyes to meet yours.

"... his own devotion?!"

Despite looking straight at you, he gets a far away look in his eyes, like he's forgotten all about you. He remains like that for a minute, then visibly, slowly reels his consciousness back in.

"Yes. I will rest. Emily will keep the church running for a few hours more, and the guards will help her. Tell her if she needs someone to reinforce her words, ask for Thannen to back her up. And maybe we could get Orth to come to the church too? He's too old to fight, surely, but he's well respected."

Vahhn
2014-09-08, 02:29 PM
Do I know Thannen?

Darius looks relieved after hearing Cassius' words. "I was also thinking of paying a visit to Master Orth. I will talk to Emily pass your words. Rest well, we can talk about what is happening later"

Unless Cassius has something else to say Darius turns to leave, and then remembers he has the holy symbol in his hands and asks: "Can I keep it? Even though its not magical, it is reassuring for me to have a symbol which has helped defeat them before"

No matter his answer Darius leaves afterwards looking for Emily. "Cassius has agreed to rest for a while. He asked you to keep the church running with the guards for a few more hours. We should ask for Thannen to back you up in case you need someone to reinforce your words."

Depending on who Thannen is Darius will either go look for him or let Emily do it herself (will also let her do it if she suggests she can).

If the crowd (and Gunnar) are still outside the church he will say to them: "Brother Cassius has agreed to rest for a while and will attend to the town's needs when he is done. As you were saying we need a capable man to command the watch, and while I think we younger ones could do it, we better seek council of someone who has proven to be capable in these times. I will speak with Master Orth, to see if he will come to the church and aid us."

Darius will either search for Thannen or he will go to Orth's House - Depending who is Thannen

Kaptin Keen
2014-09-09, 09:00 AM
Is the acting commander of the watch. He's not exactly competent, but since the commander went off to war, he's all that's left. His main strength is loyalty and the ability to take orders, but he's a big, strong man, and carries the authority that brings. If he follows Emily, she will have the back-up she needs.

You know of him, and have met him on occasion of course, but you're distant acquaintances at best.

Cassius makes a dismissive gesture towards the holy symbol. "Take it, it's your's," he says, "but bring it back, though. It's still a relic of the church."

With a few words to Emily and Gunnar, you make your way towards Orth's house. As is traditional, Orth has more basement than ground floor, which is a problem for him these days, since the steps are harder for him to manage now than 20 years ago. However, the place is all stone, and a veritable fortress. For this reason, you are more than a little surprised to find the door open - obviously forcibly so - when you get there.

A little worried too.

Reactions?

Vahhn
2014-09-09, 09:06 PM
Darius will try to listen if there is any sound coming from the room. If not, he will ready his sword and shield and pass through the door and look around, readying an action to attack if something is trying to ambush him as he enters.

listen: [roll0]
spot: [roll1]

Would you like to do this room by room or would you prefer me to describe how he will move around? He is probably going to make way to the stairs that lead underground.

And another thing, how do you rule casting spells and using shields? I've played with 3 DMs and each ruled differently - forgot to ask before.

Kaptin Keen
2014-09-10, 05:30 AM
When I said that Orths house is a veribtable fortess, that wasn't an exaggeration. You've been here before, on many occasions, yet you never discovered the clever trap on the front door.

When the intruders broke in, they did. The first of them lies just inside, his skull caved in by a hammer, swung by a long pendulum right at head hight, when the door was rushed.

There are no other signs of combat here, but the trapdoor down into the basement has also been forcibly opened.

Other then that, the room is sort of as you remember it - except for the fact that it has been ransacked. This is where Orth would receive visitors - it has tables and chairs, some odds and ends, stone carvings on the walls and a mosaic floor. There is a tiny pantry in the back.

You yourself have never been in the basement. You basically assume it's just where he sleeps.

Vahhn
2014-09-15, 02:47 AM
Darius move to the basement trapdoor. Is it dark in there? If yes he lights up a torch and illuminates it. He shouts: "Orth are you in there? Are you alright?", in hopes the old dwarf can hear him.

If nothing happens he will go down, trying to check if there is any trap in the basement entrance.

[roll0] - Assuming i need to roll search for that. If spot works add 2.
I am holding the torch in my shield hand.
edit: that's some roll.

Sorry for the days without posting - had a little to much on my hands with the end of the strike and the game I am trying to run. Should be back to posting at least once per day. Thanks for the game! I'm enjoying it!

Kaptin Keen
2014-09-15, 04:06 AM
As you approach the trapdoor, you hear muttered words and curses from down there - then Orth's voice rings out clearly:

"Had enough yet, ye craven dogs? Surface crawlers, sky gazers and sand-for-bones beardless children. I've traps an bolts to last me fer a week, so ye just keep right on comin'!"

As you look down the stairwell for traps, it's obvious that yes, there is one, and it was triggered. There is a trail of blood down the stairs - in places spattered on the walls, and even the ceiling. In your minds eye you see the front intruder stepping down the stairs, taking a hit from a concealed crossbow, and rolling down the stairs spraying blood everywhere.

There is partial light at the foot of the stairs. Do you still shout?

Vahhn
2014-09-15, 01:04 PM
Darius shouts: "Orth! It's me Darius! If any of you bastards is still alive down there give up now! You are surrounded, and soon you will also be facing the dead corpses of those who died to the traps!".

Darius sheathes his sword and goes down the stairs with a javelin in hands, hoping that the dwarf's darkvision will help him discern between him and the robbers. Readying an action to throw a javelin if something moves and its not Orth - or someone clearly surrendering.

Intimidate:[roll0]
spot:[roll1]

Kaptin Keen
2014-09-15, 06:37 PM
.. an honest-to-god social skill. Though not too many ranks. Still, I'm somewhat impressed =)

Orth's voice answers from the darkness below:

"Oi, lad - good thing it's you, these lose piles of gravel wont ever know what hit'em!'

... is a +2 to assist on Intimidation, provided he succeeds a roll vs. 10.
Intimidate: [roll0]
He has one rank, but negative cha modifier.

However, a raspy voice answers:

"I told you once, and I'll tell you again. Don't worry about the traps. Don't worry about the dwarf. Don't even worry about this new bugger. Worry about me! Ready your weapons - we've got some killing to do."

I shall roll that offline - so you don't feel tempted to peek :p

Vahhn
2014-09-16, 10:30 AM
So I don't know what to do here. Darius intends to help Orth fight the guys in the basement, and even started going down the stairs but I have too little information. Should I wait for another post of yours or was I supposed to do something now? I had the impression you were going to do another post after the one you did yesterday, but maybe I am wrong.

And I am surprised by the success of the social skills too. though I do have many ranks in diplomacy. I like playing chars with many skills, and it pains me to have only 3 skill points / level.. but oh well I really wanted to make a cleric.

Kaptin Keen
2014-09-16, 06:46 PM
This is about as much info as you get. There are two enemies down there - but three feels more likely to you. One of them is clearly the leader, and the leader is clearly trying to intimidate the other(s). He doesn't sound very pleasant, you don't know anything about the others.

It's semi-dark at the foot of the stairs, but no so dark that you cannot see. Depending on the size of the room, there might be a miss chance (concealment) for someone hiding outside the light, but unless it's surprisingly large, no one should be in total darkness.

Decide on how to proceed. There are no right or wrong decisions. Or well, there are - like deciding to 'give peace a chance', put down your weapons and go down and try and reason with them would most likely be bad.

Don't worry =)

Kaptin Keen
2014-09-27, 02:30 AM
... no actions? Just go down and kick their asses. Or you know ... die. One or the other. What's the worst that could happen? =)