PDA

View Full Version : Old Ways IC IV

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

Roland St. Jude
2014-09-01, 09:48 PM
The blistering hot days of Felmont gave way to milder days of Fyrmont as the party traveled over the mountains to the small town of Verge and then on to the west toward a dark temple marked on the map of Ederick the Necromancer. According to the Temple of Threshold's historical scrolls, a secret temple venerating the Night Spider or her offspring was present in ancient Traladara. The Night Spider, a half-spider, half-woman Immortal, was known for enslaving entire villages, commanding the walking dead, and birthing evil children of humanoid, spider, and hybrid form. She was also known for her greed and the theft and hoarding of wealth and magic. Driven from Mystara by great adventurers in ancient times, the Night Spider, or more likely one of her offspring, reappeared just prior to the Karameikian arrival. Legends say that village elders cast a great spell to bury the evil and her temple under the earth.

After considerable trials and at great cost, the party seems to have arrived at the entryway to that now subterranean temple. A grand entry chamber looms over them and surely evil beyond.

IC for Old Ways Ch. 1 (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=169679)
IC for Old Ways Ch. 2 (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=257445)
IC for Old Ways Ch. 3 (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=284117)

Frivolous
2014-09-02, 02:25 PM
Brandon Bor

Bran collects all the valuable loot. He offers the ruby and the diamond to the thieves Mycah and Aditi, guessing they are the best suited to hold them, and the sack of gold to Ashala to put in the Bag of Holding.

"Do you think we should hack the bodies apart to keep Ederick from animating them, or is it too much work?"

He suspiciously examines the potion bottle, the gold-buckled sash and the bundle of arrows.

"I suspect the arrows are magical. Aditi, do you want them?"

He says nothing yet about the potion or the sash, but he keeps frowning slightly.

Archdruid
2014-09-03, 07:46 AM
Penny of Threshold

The mousy-haired cleric piddles along in her suit of hand-me-down armor, ill-fitted for her slight frame in only the most minuscule of ways, giving her more room than a fighter would deign their armor give them, and straps her shield to back with a leather brace before she looks to the injured, taking inventory of those with and without wounds, beginning with Aditi before moving on to Nathros and the others.

"Do you feel pain? You sure did bravely back there."

On the subject of hacking apart bodies, Penny furrows her brow. She would much rather give the dead a burial or proper burning, but in lieu of time and the presence of a necromancer, the young cleric would allow her personal preferences to give way to the group as a whole, looking back to Bran and smiling, trying to brighten the mood of the battlefield.

"I think the dead should be allowed to rest in peace, regardless of their walks of life. If this Ederick raises them, I'm certain I can Turn them without worry. But if you feel it necessary to do so, by all means, make the dead smaller. I will not stop you, nor will I assist in such an endeavor."

Kish
2014-09-03, 07:54 AM
"I suspect the arrows are magical. Aditi, do you want them?"

"Certainly. Thank you." Aditi takes the arrows and examines them.

Penny of Threshold

The mousy-haired cleric piddles along in her suit of hand-me-down armor, ill-fitted for her slight frame in only the most minuscule of ways, giving her more room than a fighter would deign their armor give them, and straps her shield to back with a leather brace before she looks to the injured, taking inventory of those with and without wounds, beginning with Aditi before moving on to Nathros and the others.

"Do you feel pain? You sure did bravely back there."
Aditi, startled by Penny's question, grimaces, then smiles at her. "Ow, yes, I do. Thank you, though I'm not sure I did anything terribly brave here. You should probably heal Ash and Nathros first if you can."

Aditi doesn't volunteer an opinion on the matter of dismembering the dead.

Koren n'Rhys
2014-09-03, 09:51 AM
Mycah
"Bran is right," Mycah's voice offers from the cloak of his invisibility. "Ederick has shown he's more than willing to re-animate creatures we've already defeated once. We can't risk him raising these gnolls again. We're already low enough on resources and don't know what else we have yet to face."

"Is there any reason for me to remain invisible much longer? It's... frustrating not to be able to help in these fights. I feel pretty useless right now. It worked well outside, but in here I don't see as much of a point to it."

As the others mull over that question and see to the healing, Mycah will gather up Aditi and go to examine the doors, checking them to see if they are locked or seem trapped in any way. He carefully inspects the doors themselves, the threshold and frame for anything suspicious.

Find Traps (30%): [roll0]

Kish
2014-09-03, 10:11 AM
Aditi will also check the doors for traps.
[roll0]

Roland St. Jude
2014-09-03, 02:24 PM
The large double doors seem substantial and eerily beautiful spiderweb carvings cover both doors. The doors seem to open inward on great hinges and have two sets of brackets in which bars could be laid to bar the door. Currently the doors are unbarred and, as near as either Mycah or Aditi can tell, untrapped in any way.

Frivolous
2014-09-03, 02:40 PM
Brandon Bor

Bran says, "Don't worry, Mycah. Your being able to spy on our enemies without fear of easy detection is gonna be real important."

"By the way, if you pick a sorcerer's pouch, does what you pick up disappear, too? Try picking a coin out of mine, if you haven't tried it before."

Bran goes to study the big double doors. He shakes his head. "I don't think the gnolls came in this way. The doors are too big. I think they're probably mostly ceremonial."

"There must be smaller doors somewhere for regular use."

Since he deems himself an artist, Bran goes to inspect the murals to the east. He asks Murray to accompany him with a lit torch for light.

Nevaera
2014-09-03, 03:27 PM
ASH

Aditi's modesty calls Ash's attention while dealing with the dead, "Everyone who fought in this room was brave with their every action, you not excluded. You were quick on your feet, risked yourself to attack by securing the threat of the sleepers rising, and you fought on whenever feasible." She'll finish her words with a firm, but gentle squeeze on Aditi's shoulder as she tips her head and locks her deep green eyes on the scout for a short moment.

Ash agrees that it'll be extremely useful if Mycah can spy onward without the threat of visual detection.
"It'll be invaluable to know what they've prepared against us before we pursue them further. Best watch out for pit traps, poison traps, crushing traps, and so on. No doubt that an evil temple like this might have been constructed with some tricks in mind, or have had some added since.
"And it might not feel like much when your blade doesn't make contact, but good tactical decisions make a greater difference toward victory than simply wounding an enemy."
I think I finally understand what my instructor was trying to teach me back then...

If healing is offered to Ash, she shakes her head, but offers a small, kind bow of her head in thanks, "I've no fresh wounds this battle to be treated."

She'll make a point of acknowledging Penelope for stepping up, as Murray has (she accompanies this praise with a nod of recognition to Murray). "It's often hard for me to step back to let others risk themselves, but I've found that the danger of poisons and spells are plenty enough to negate the strengths of someone such as myself. If you're comfortable taking rear guard with Murray and finding other ways to make further use of yourself without taking great risk, you're welcome to do so.
"Though the potential wealth that might come from this journey is not our focus or goal, you both should have your fair share of it as would any of us - though I'd hope that to be obvious.
"Also, if you would, tell me what you mean of 'turning' the risen dead. Can you redeem them or change them? Or do they flee or take command from you instead perhaps?"

Koren n'Rhys
2014-09-03, 03:36 PM
Mycah
"I don't think the spell works that way, Bran. Just like you could see the light form the torch I picked up. Let's see though."
He walks back to Brandon's position and takes up one of the gnolls spears from where it lies abandoned on the ground, watching Bran to see if it is still visible to him or not.

"Don't know about picking pockets either. Don't I cancel out the magic if I do anything directly aggressive? Is that the same as attacking someone?"

Frivolous
2014-09-03, 03:41 PM
Brandon Bor

Bran says, "I don't know, but the magic-users should."

Gwendol
2014-09-04, 08:50 AM
Athos the frail

Athos helps Penny with treating the battle wounds as best he can, which for the most part is just cleaning and dressing. I'm sorry I can't do more, but these puncture wounds will heal by themselves given time.

Once done, and if he still has time, Athos will inspect the murals and the altar, being curious of their significance.

Nevaera
2014-09-04, 08:03 PM
ASH

Ash takes a torch from the ground (makes sure it is lit or to light it), lights a few staggered braziers, and hoist them up by pulling on their respective chains. She'll do this for about four of them for light for the room so that the lantern fuel and torches can be spared to last longer in other rooms later on.

Roland St. Jude
2014-09-04, 10:11 PM
Aditi examines the dozen arrows as Brandon hands them over. They're well-made and sharp with an unknown maker's mark carved into the shaft. Whether they are magic or not is beyond her ken, but they certainly seem better than what she's using.

---

Neela observes the experiment. "As I explained when I cast the spell," she says with a hint of exasperation, "whatever you had on you when I cast the spell will remain invisible as long as it remains on you. If you drop it, it becomes visible. If you pick up something new, it stays visible."

She furrows her brow, "the exact details of what you can do and remain invisible is somewhat fuzzier. I suspect that picking someone's pocket will end the spell as will touching them or their belongings in any hostile or unwelcome way. I was surprised your joking push earlier did not end it, which suggests that the spell may account somehow for intention. Anyway, that's an odd result that shall go in my notes.

---

Brandon observes the murals along the east wall and Athos follows behind him looking at each a few moments later. Farthest from the dais and altar is a strange spider-like being feasting on a seemingly live pig. Careful observation reveals the spider-thing has ten legs and is depicted as roughly the size of a horse.

The next is an eerie depiction of a billowy human-shaped shadow with cruel shaped eyes and edges that seem to blend into the surrounding stone wall.

The next is an odd figure at once attractive and horrifying. The lower half of a black spider, with sharp barbed edges and the suggestion of nimbleness, is topped by the torso of a beautiful human woman with long dark hair swept artfully across her front providing some modicum of modesty. In her left hand is a vicious-looking waved blade and in her right hand a reddish orb.

The final mural is very similar to the last, except that the painting is larger and the woman is less thin and more strong in musculature. Upon her head is a silvery crown and her arms are crossed in front of her, her eyes seem focused directly on the observer with incredible intensity.

Each of the murals is enclosed within a gold-traced arch. Each seems to have a definite presence that holds the viewer's rapt attention for a moment whether through skillful artistic qualities or some magic. None of the images contain any noticeable writing or apparent physical or magical devices.

---
Ash begins to light and hoist some braziers. They do a remarkable job and provide a broader globe of light than the individual torches at ground level, but it is clear that one would have to light them all to even mostly illuminate this immense space.

---
Athos continues up the steps onto the dais to investigate the altar.

Gwendol
2014-09-05, 01:17 AM
Athos

...and stops. Being ever so cautious he looks over his shoulder at his companions, while attempting to stifle a dry cough.
Would you say it's safe to venture further? I don't want to trip a trap, and no matter how I try I don't think I would be able to avoid one.

Koren n'Rhys
2014-09-05, 08:00 AM
Mycah
Mycah colors a bit at Neela's tone, though no one can see it. He simply replies, "Ah, thank you. I must have forgotten that bit. There we go then."

He moves to follow Brandon and Athos to examine the murals - studying them for clues to any weaknesses a potential opponent might have. Though he as gotten more used to the feeling, the twisted and unnatural ambiance of this place still weights on him and he is no less firm in his resolve to cleanse it.

"I wouldn't touch it just yet, Athos," he offers when the mage questions his own actions. "I wonder if we can do anything? Bless or purify it somehow? Holy water maybe?"

Gwendol
2014-09-05, 08:36 AM
Athos

In that case I better back down. Maybe the altar will not like getting blessed... The spiderwoman on the murals: anyone recognize her? Athos replies.

Nevaera
2014-09-05, 09:56 AM
ASH

While finishing up with the illumination, Ash suggests, "Perhaps Penny might have found a depiction of one of them when she was researching this place." Ash says this to be helpful, but there is a weight on her heart as she thinks about what kind of memories this will spur in Penny - researching along side her friends, Alanna and Miranda.

Frivolous
2014-09-05, 11:23 AM
Brandon Bor

Bran sounds very distracted as he murmurs, "No one vandalize the temple yet, okay? At least not until it's deemed necessary."

"What beautiful murals. Whatever else the Spider is, she certainly has good taste in art."

Sounding a little more focused, he asks, "Does anyone recognize the monsters? I bet they represent some of the temple guardians."

Bran calls upon his knowledge of art to figure out what he can about the murals decorating the eastern wall.

Level 4 Fighter
Hit Points: 12/16
AC: -1 (3 without shield)

Artistic Ability: [roll0]

Kish
2014-09-05, 12:41 PM
"Even if we hadn't fought through all those gnolls to get here, I wouldn't mistake this for a temple to a benevolent Immortal," Aditi remarks, looking at the mural of the ten-legged monster eating the live pig.

She ascends the stairs onto the dais and examines it carefully; it would be ironic to be so concerned about magic that we got killed by a mundane trap.
Find Traps 25%: [roll0]

Matthew
2014-09-05, 12:55 PM
Nathros hacks off the heads of the gnolls and piles them up near the entrance.

Nevaera
2014-09-05, 02:42 PM
ASH

Though it's not a job anyone would be glad to have to do, Ash aids Nathros in his endeavor, glad that he also deemed it necessary to eliminate the threat of the dead being used against their companions.
"It'll be a relief once we know Ederick is not part of the picture anymore.
"- If we've tricks to 'turn' the undead away from attacking us, I'd rather not need to rely on it until confronted by he himself."
She keeps an eye on the party's doings in the room, vigilant of that which might trigger added danger to her companions.

Alertness DC13: [roll0]
Matthew and Kish, maybe decide between yourselves OOC who should get the +2 HP. I don't remember how hurt your characters both are and you're both players, so I figure it's up to you anyways. ^_^

Kish
2014-09-05, 02:44 PM
"I don't see any traps," Aditi reports. "I could have missed something though."

Aditi is at 10/16 health currently.

Archdruid
2014-09-06, 01:25 PM
Penny

Turning to Ash and looking worried as the warrior declines her healing, the cleric's expression turns dour as she considers the philosophical possibilities of changing an undead's outlook.

"It pains me to admit that turning is a form of purification. When infused with the light of the Immortals, a creature so infused with evil does not tend to do well. I've never seen one react in any way but destruction, but...I so do hold out hope that just once, maybe, a turned undead will be able to redeem themselves."

Penny turns to the murals after inspecting and applying bandages to Nathros' wounds, trying to keep herself useful. Perhaps she recognizes some of the symbols of spiders enough to identify their meaning and purpose.

HP: 20/20, AC: 1 (0 vs first attack)

Healing (DC 9) to dress Nathros' wounds: [roll0]
Mysticism (DC 14) to identify the actions in the murals: [roll1]

Roland St. Jude
2014-09-06, 03:16 PM
Mycah examines the murals. The spider seems hardy and tough, but it is only attacking a pig, after all, so perhaps it is not a fierce fighter. The shadow actually seems insubstantial and causes one to wonder how to hit a ghost. The other two images are intimidating to say the least. Both are presented in a manner that suggests invincibility and overwhelming power. The thinner of the two figures seems to be wielding both a weapon and arcane power, while the last, the crowned one, seems threatening and dauntless despite wielding nothing but an intense stare.

---
To Bran's eye, the work is impeccable. A combination of flat and shiny pigments, apparently painted on with exquisite precision. This kind of painstaking work, on this large of scale, would take a long time. To be so precise, and with its strangely engaging quality, Brandon suspects magic was involved somehow. It's just too realistic and apparently lacking in brushstrokes or aging. Such a work would be costly to produce and very valuable, if it were portable.

---
Aditi finds no traps or unusual catches or other features on the dais or altar. The altar is coated in fresh blood.

---
The scrolls and pages in Threshold bore only simple symbols and mostly words, but she recognized these images as startling detailed representations of the Night Spider and one of her childer.

Archdruid
2014-09-07, 08:57 AM
Penny of Threshold

The young cleric shifts in her steps as she places her hands on the murals, feeling the dust of the carvings beneath her hands. To think the ancient Karameikians could create such splendors, no matter how horrid.

"Interesting...So the texts were right, and the Night Spider and her daughter did control undead. And shadows, to boot. Could this be record of some sacrificial rite? I wonder..."

Stepping away from the murals, Penny turns her attention to Nathros, hoping he isn't terribly upset with her work, the jitter and tremble of her post-battle hands possibly doing more harm than help. Eventually, Penny manages to calm herself, furiously smoothing out her long braid and wandering toward the bloodstained altar with a grimace.

"Certainly, I hope we don't run into any shades of the undead. They are known to sap a man's strength, after all."

Frivolous
2014-09-07, 11:45 AM
Brandon Bor

Bran looks both troubled and utterly fascinated by the skill and quality of the murals.

"We'll depend on you to turn any undead, Penny. And if that doesn't work,, I guess Ashala and me can go full defense and draw their attention while the rest of you attack with magic weapons from the side."

"I'm gonna go look at the west wall murals now."

Bran courteously and carefully waits for the others to accompany him, so that no one is left alone accidentally and thus vulnerable to ambush or sudden attack, before he goes to inspect the murals on the west wall.

Archdruid
2014-09-07, 01:49 PM
Penny

The cleric offers Brandon a swift nod of her head, gulping in her throat and trying to choke back a nervous laugh. Yup, she was totally and completely prepared to turn on demand. She silently follows the warrior, her nose wrinkled at the murals' depictions, like an art critic sauntering about a gallery of tasteless art.

Gwendol
2014-09-08, 02:26 AM
With the altar deemed safe enough, Athos ventures up and takes a look at the blood stains. Sniffing at it he tries to determine its origin, while looking for other clues as to its purpose.

He then joins Bran examining the opposite murals.

Koren n'Rhys
2014-09-08, 09:36 AM
Mycah
Mycah smiles grimly he examines the murals. "I'd rather face the undead than those spider creatures. We'd better pray we are merely facing Ederick and his minions and not this Night Spider."

"If that blood is fairly fresh, then we know we're at least facing some living worshipers. Someone is organizing these gnolls, orcs and others. We just need to find them."
Knowing his chances are probably slim given the mass of the doors, Mycah will listen for any signs of activity beyond them while the others continue to examine the rest of the wall murals.

Hear Noise (50%): [roll0]

Roland St. Jude
2014-09-08, 09:23 PM
Brandon crosses the room at the front edge of the dais and examines the west wall murals. They are in every way that he can discern identical to those along the west wall. Directly across from the image of the Queen is an identical image, and similarly down the line to the other three murals. From an artistic point of view, painting such a precise duplicate of a powerful and detailed image seems a staggering feat.

---
Mycah listens at the large double doors, putting an ear next to crease between the two doors, but hears nothing and feels no breeze. Large ring handles could be used to pull the doors, which apparently open inward.

---
Athos stands before the altar and carefully examines its blood-covered surface. He leans in to sniff at the blood, which reveals only blood consistent with humans, but also a wide variety of humanoids including the gnolls lying at their feet. He does notice, however, slight depressions in the blood pool, and in the upper corner not touched by blood there appears to be the start of a phrase in Traladaran carved into the stone:

Sacrifice is

The rest is obscured by blood.

Frivolous
2014-09-09, 12:22 AM
Brandon Bor

Bran looks at the murals and his lips purse both in disappointment that the pictures aren't different and amazement that they're exactly the same.

"Hell the devil did they manage that?"

Then, his artist's soul grants him insight, and Bran looks up and around and then announces, "This structure was designed by a woman! Or...at least a female. Not sure anything mortal designed this."

Then his eyes shift sideways, and Bran purses his lips again and suddenly stops talking.

Matthew
2014-09-09, 06:56 AM
Nathros finishes piling up the heads and girds himself for the next step.

Nevaera
2014-09-09, 10:46 AM
ASH

Ash takes note of the discussion and observations of the group as they explore and she finishes up the task she and Nathros set to do.

"I don't think it's specifically a woman thing, Bran, though it's entirely possible that that is correct - fifty percent, if I had to wager a guess," Ash replies with less edge in her voice than one might expect. She is somewhat used to being underestimated due to her gender (apart from her team and those who know her). "I have no particular love of symmetry... and I'd prefer my art flawed to some extent as it tends to better express the character of the artist who'd made it. Clearly the murals here reflect reverence from the worshipers - powerful or wealthy worshipers at that, considering the magic required for them to be created identical. I suppose they could have been made by the (uh) Night Spider herself, perhaps."

Ash considers the thought only briefly before turning her attentions to more pressing matters. She wipes blood from her gauntlet covered hands on the drab garments of one of the headless gnolls piled before her. Then she collects the torches not currently being utilized to snuff and stow for a later use (some could certainly remain with some of the others should they wish to have one on hand).

She'll take quick inventory of everyone's status and supplies before formulating an organized team to proceed once more.
"Those who are significantly injured, you'd best find a position near the back of the party as rear guard - mind you, it's as dangerous a place as the front so keep your guard up. Neela, you're out of spells but for the wand and surprising skill with the dagger? The middle near Athos as usual still. Penny, perhaps we should keep you close behind me since you've more knowledge than any of us of the evils that lurk here. Mycah, wherever you are, you might scout a tiny bit ahead of us once we're ready - if anything happens, we should hear and be able to come to your aid if need be. Murray, rear guard as well? We front line warriors can always fan out if we need to fight in a bigger room, so long as the less armored are a safe distance away with some cover.
"Hm... anyone have any thoughts or concerns that might offer insight into our next strategy? I wouldn't like to overlook anything."

Frivolous
2014-09-09, 11:31 AM
Brandon Bor

Bran sounds excited. "No, no, don't you see? Tunnel in the earth moving straight down into a round, dome-like space?"

"This entire temple is modeled after a womb. I figure only a female would do that."

Kish
2014-09-09, 11:33 AM
Aditi smirks privately as Ash'a exchange with Bran, then goes back to studying the altar. "Sacrifice..." she muses. "I think we should destroy this altar, if we can. Whether it actually gives the cult power or not, and it might, it's evil--" She cuts herself off with a choking cough as Bran expands on his theory.

Koren n'Rhys
2014-09-09, 11:40 AM
Mycah
At Ash's comments to him, Mycah calls out it response.
"Of course, Ash, if that's where you need me. Whatever our next step, we'll need to proceed with caution. I don't hear anything beyond those doors, and don't feel any sign of air movement either, so no clues as to what's beyond, m'lady Captain."

He (wisely) chooses not comment on Bran's theories...

Frivolous
2014-09-09, 01:44 PM
Brandon Bor

Preening over how clever he is (or at least, how clever he thinks he is), Bran goes to join Athos in looking at the altar.

"Sacrifice is. Hmm..."

Since he doesn't want to dirty anything of his, he takes up a scrap of cloth from one of the dead gnolls and uses it to wipe away the blood that covers the rest of the inscription.

"You know, I have the terrible feeling that Ederick and his crew sacrificed something on this altar to get to where they are now. Because obviously they aren't here."

Nevaera
2014-09-09, 11:26 PM
ASH

Ash shares Aditi's astonishment. She opens her mouth a little, not to say anything particular, but just to gape for a moment as she cycles through an array of pointless responses before settling on nothing. Instead she just rolls her eyes to herself and continues on. If anyone is within earshot of a whisper (that's not Brandon), she'll toss out a lighthearted jest, "I think he's a bit homesick," with a wink.

She takes in the reports and responds to each respectively, "If there's a chance this altar grants unholy blessings to our foes, then we must do something to purify or desecrate it."

"Best way to find out what is beyond is to take a look then, but we'll have to get better organized first. Everyone make sure you have a backup method of aiding the group if your first and preferred way is unavailable to you. For example, a ranged option to attack when you're injured or out of magic, or a torch for light, or oil flasks at the ready - that sort of thing.
"Aditi and Nathros, you should each have one holy water flask should the need to use it arise. If you feel better about someone else using them, you can switch, but they may come in handy if the call is made."

If everyone's gathering about around the alter, Ash will head that way too and see if she can make heads or tails of it.

I'm pretty sure those holy waters were handed out, but my apologies if I've gotten ahead of myself. If she hadn't before, she'd do it now.

Gwendol
2014-09-10, 02:36 AM
Athos

Looking at the inscription Athos curiously reads what follows.

There are a few slight depressions here, likely to lead the blood away. To where or whom is the question? Athos says, pointing at the uneven surface of the reasonably fresh blood. Humans have been sacrified here, as well as a variety of humanoids such as gnolls and orcs. Perhaps we could use holy water to clean the altar, but I defer final judgement on the matter to Penny.

Roland St. Jude
2014-09-10, 10:08 AM
Brandon wipes away much of the pooled blood from the top of the altar to reveal the rest of the message. In full, it reads:

Sacrifice is required of all. Blood for the Queen, and magic her childe, wealth for the shadow, strength for the wild.

Kish
2014-09-10, 10:11 AM
"Sacrificing blood is obvious. Theoretically I can see how to sacrifice wealth or magic, the puzzling one is strength," Aditi comments. "Is that how you spell 'child'? It looks off."

Frivolous
2014-09-10, 10:16 AM
Brandon Bor

Bran frowns in thought. Then he slowly says, "Does...anyone object to my putting a gnoll carcass on the altar?"

Nevaera
2014-09-10, 07:04 PM
ASH

"I object. We're not here to make sacrifices and aid the awakening of these dark immortals - we're here to stop any further offerings from being made, if that's what they need to rise again. That requires an effort to avoid becoming a sacrifice of some kind ourselves, while we're at it.
"Blood has been left for 'the queen', Ederick has magic and could use it for the 'childe'. I'm sure they must have brought more wealth that what was used to pay off the serpent worshipers... That leaves strength - probably something they don't suffer lack for either, what with the large beings we've seen about so far."

"On the business of holy water, we've not got enough to purge a whole alter after the blood offering was made, I'd wager. Let's save it for a more opportune occasion."

If there's anyone who appears appalled or disgusted by the goings on at the moment, Ash frowns a moment before adding, "If anyone's highly revolted by any of our seeming blatant lack of respect for living beings, remember that we have to be who we are to effectively pursue the completion of the task we've set forth here to do. I don't think any of us relish slaying the living, no matter how foul the foe. We take our solace in the knowledge that we've achieved victory over evil."
Remember that last part is only for if some (Penny/Aditi/Murray/Neela/Athos?) were bothered by all the blood/bodies and such. :smallsmile:

Gwendol
2014-09-11, 02:02 AM
Athos

Well, now we know. What about the altar then, how much water did we bring? And if that's not an option shall we simply try and ruin it in some other way? Penny, what say you?
Athos seems not the least revolted by the killing of the gnolls, nor of the beheading of the corpses. Right now he appears mostly annyed of the lack of destructive magics at his current disposal.

Koren n'Rhys
2014-09-11, 12:44 PM
Mycah
At Brandon's question, Mycah all but shouts. "NO!!" His voice quivering with suppressed anger he adds "We are NOT here to feed this abomination but to put an end to it, Brandon. I intend to find a way to destroy the altar, the paintings... all of it, so that this can't happen yet again in the future. But first we need to find Ederick and put him down like the dog he is."

Frivolous
2014-09-11, 12:46 PM
Brandon Bor

Bran frowns and looks uncomfortable. "But we're not here to fight the Spider, are we? We're here to fight Ederick and keep the Fangs from allying themselves with the Spider."

"My mother and father taught me to bring gifts whenever I visit someone. It seems only polite to give a gift the Immortal asks for. It's like she's our enemy, not yet anyway. She didn't have anything to do with the gnolls."

He pauses, hesitating, then the decision within him firms and he announces, "I want to give an offering to the Spider, the blood that she asks for."

"I don't expect any of you to agree to do the same, but I believe it's the right thing to do."

Bran frowns in puzzlement at Mycah's shout. He slowly asks, "Um, this is probably a dumb question, but how and why is the Spider an abomination?"

Koren n'Rhys
2014-09-11, 12:57 PM
Mycah
For a moment there is no response. Mycah struggles to put words to his disbelief.
"Why!? Bran how can you even ask that? Look at these pictures! Can you even question that that... thing is anything but evil? It's not a spider - it's some sort of demon! Look at the land we traveled through - twisted and unnatural. The right thing to DO!? Are you mad!? How can the idea of a blood sacrifice ever seem the right thing to do!? Penny, Ash... SOMEONE... Am I the only one who sees how wrong this is?"

Well now, this could get interesting to RP out...

Frivolous
2014-09-11, 01:03 PM
Brandon Bor

Bran waves his hand at Mycah's argument. "But that's just internal decoration! And it's really good internal decoration, too. Excellent quality, albeit a bit morbid for my tastes.

"As far as I can see, the Spider isn't bothering anyone, is she? I don't count the gnolls and the orcs. I think they're more like squatters or something."

"As for asking for blood, well, she's a spider. Spiders like blood. And we have all these juicy gnoll corpses lying around."

"As far as I can tell, the Spider hasn't done one evil thing yet, to us or to anyone we know. How does that make it right not to be polite to her in her own house?"

Kish
2014-09-11, 01:22 PM
"I--" Aditi starts, then hesitates. Then she looks at the text again. "It seems more likely to me that one of her worshipers wrote that than that it's a random orc's scribblings. Either we judge her by our moral standards, and if she encourages anyone to sacrifice intelligent creatures to her, that makes her evil, like I'd be evil if I let it be widely known that I'd pay people to kill for me--or we treat her as something utterly alien, and her nature is clearly opposed to ours. That's if it turns out this Ederick doesn't worship her, which doesn't sound, I mean, I haven't met him, but I thought he was a priest."

Koren n'Rhys
2014-09-11, 01:22 PM
Mycah
Mycah's voice lowers, anger clear in his tone now. "You are not thinking clearly now Brandon and this idea threatens every one of us. It's almost as if you're under some sort of spell." Without taking his eyes off the fighter, Mycah asks, "Penny, Athos - can you tell if he was affected by the murals somehow? Could he be charmed or something?"

"Bran, THINK about this. What about everything we learned from the histories in the Temple back in Threshold. Do you think the Church is lying to us? The Night Spider enslaved villages and created hordes of undead and monstrous creatures to enforce her will. She was defeated and banished ages ago and this place buried to prevent that all happening again."

Frivolous
2014-09-11, 01:29 PM
Brandon Bor

Bran pouts. "I don't remember that about the Spider. But I wasn't really paying attention. I'm not a cleric, after all."

"And I'm not enspelled, I think..."

Kish
2014-09-11, 01:35 PM
"Sacrifice is required of all..." Aditi muses. "I'm against offering any form of sacrifice to anyone who demands sacrifice."

Nevaera
2014-09-11, 02:41 PM
ASH

With her deep, smooth sounding voice and a calm, rational demeanor, Ash tries to further discourage Brandon, "This place is the center of the taint, the cause of it. The immortal spider was written to have enslaved villages and killed many innocent, as I recall. There is no doubt whether she is evil nor not. She is. You don't have to understand completely, but you do have to believe - trust us on this. An immortal won't change their stripes on a whim of a mortal's plea either, I suspect.
"Bran, if you won't come to reason, then we'll have to assume you are in fact under a spell and we'll have to remove you from the group until we can find a way to help you, or once it's time to return home.
"If you insist on a blood sacrifice needing to be made to this being - which I suspect is required in part to reviving or awakening it - then we've shed enough blood by far already.
"I'm sure you can see how painfully uncomfortable your suggestion has affected everyone, can't you?"

Responding to Athos, "Ederick had once cast a spell of web and brought the dead to life to fight us. I'm sorry I don't remember much more from that time - I had much less knowledge of magic than I do now. We called him a necromancer, but I have no idea where his spells manifested or were learned from, so I don't know if he was a wizard or a dark priest. Perhaps between you, Neela and Penny, we can finally know for sure."

In spite of the discussion unfolding before her, Ash keeps alert for dangers and enemies that might crop up.

Frivolous
2014-09-11, 03:21 PM
Brandon Bor

Bran says, "Yeah, yeah. Don't worry, I'm not interested in offering anymore."

Bran seems to be inspecting the altar and especially the base of it. He takes his dagger and knocks the altar with the hilt, listening for signs the altar is hollow.

"I wonder if there are any secret compartments in this thing. Maybe with hidden treasure inside. Anyone wanna help?"

"Other than this altar, the only thing left to do is open the big doors decorated with webs. And there will probably be something horrible on the other side that tries to eat us, so I'm trying to procrastinate."

Kish
2014-09-11, 08:35 PM
"I'm with you as far as judging by actions rather than assuming that if it's the wrong race it's our enemy, Bran," Aditi says, touching Bran's shoulder consolingly. "I just think asking for blood sacrifices is the kind of action that qualifies."

Gwendol
2014-09-12, 04:04 AM
Athos

The magic users coughs a little, then speaks again having found his breath.
The murals are likely infused with magic, but I noted no influence on the viewer other than what such a vivied painting might convey. As for what to do next, we know we need to face the enemy spell slinger and the orc captain. And likely this Edrick fellow. All other is speculation. Let's move on, the altar is likely hollow to enable leading the blood away, but how to open it if that's even possible is beyond me.

Koren n'Rhys
2014-09-12, 08:11 AM
Mycah
"Yes, we've wasted enough time on this foolishness."
Mycah's words are curt but with Brandon's acquiescence, he let's it go for now. He continues to keep any eye on the young fighter though, still not entirely sure he's acting quite himself.

Frivolous
2014-09-12, 11:14 AM
Brandon Bor

Still searching the altar, Bran says, sounding distracted, "It wasn't foolishness, not exactly. I mean, we did a deal with the Serpent Lord for his aid, and he'd actually cursed us, with real black magic."

"I just forgot or didn't listen to the Night Spider myths."

"Speaking of spiders... I have 3 doses each of herbs purported to treat poison, treat disease, and bring calm. I propose that before we open the door, Ashala takes the herbal preparation for treating poison. It should give her some protection if a spider stings her."

Level 4 Fighter

If an ability check is called for: Ability check: [roll0]

Roland St. Jude
2014-09-12, 11:20 AM
Brandon taps away at the altar, finding it solid throughout.

---
No new threat presents itself and the party has basically mapped out the room. Two hundred feet long and a hundred and twenty feet wide, with two rows of pillars running the length that have built in raisable sconces to provide light. The northern twenty feet or so are a raised dais upon which is a bloody altar. At the southern end is a pair of double doors decorated with webs. Eight murals, four matched pairs line the walls, each a being inside thin gold arch. In the center of the room, a wooden disk twenty feet wide sits below a pair of ropes hanging from the opening to the world above. The gnoll heads have been piled here.

The room has basically been walked, the doors and altar searched for traps, and murals looked at by several people. You have all the information that provides.

Feel free to continue to chat or act or what-have-you. Hopefully your cleric will pipe up soon.

Matthew
2014-09-12, 12:26 PM
Nathros examines the stonework.

Nevaera
2014-09-12, 09:35 PM
ASH

At Brandon's poison protection suggestion, Ash blinks once in slight surprise, "Th- Thank you, Brandon. I appreciate the thought. How long would such a thing last?" Though she once claimed she may have been resistant to the venom of the wyverns or snakes, she doesn't doubt the potence (causing paralysis or perhaps lethal results) that a very large spider being's venom might possess.

This causes her to bother taking a closer look at the spider-half of the mural depictions. She looks for any similarities to a spider she may have ever encountered in the past. She's seen the effects of some spider bites before, such as an itchy bump like a mosquito bite. She'd seen a small patch on a man's leg which seemed to have died separately though he lived on otherwise unaffected. Others she'd heard suffered from a short-lived fever before being back in action only a couple days later.
There was little chance she could guess what kind of venom to expect from a spider immortal - a more likely threat might be magics. Though, perhaps there weren't any mandibles to poison with.
Would it be a blessing or a curse? To expect the poison - or to know there was no poison while some other means of lethal defense would be utilized in it's stead.

Frivolous
2014-09-13, 01:58 PM
Brandon Bor

The art dealer tells Brandon the artist is Mary LeLorre, the wife of the colonel in command of Castellan Keep, a remote outpost in northern Karameikos. Mary denied every having seen a dragon, let alone such a stunning scene, in person, but it came to her in a vision.

The alchemist can offer Brandon three doses of each at 10 gp per dose. He gives full instructions on how to make poultice to apply directly to a poisoned bite or sting, how to slowly burn the calming herbs and inhale the smoke, and how to make a strong tea to fend off illness.

Bran prepares the anti-poison herbs exactly as he was instructed by the merchant he bought them from, making a poultice.

"This poultice probably won't last forever; maybe a few hours before it dries out and becomes useless. But I think we'll be very lucky if we avoid a case of poisoning that long."

Once it is complete, he gives it to Ashala.

Roland St. Jude
2014-09-14, 07:16 PM
Nathros examines the stonework, finding it odd for a cavern. The floors and walls both appear to be made of blocks, like an above ground structure would be, rather than carved out like a cavern. The parts of the ceiling that can be seen, thanks to Ash's raising the sconce, is far too smooth and even to be natural or carved out. This room was built above ground or made to look like it.

Kish
2014-09-14, 11:07 PM
Aditi is still focused on the altar. "We were going to bless this, right? Or destroy it, if we can't do that?"

Frivolous
2014-09-15, 01:11 AM
Brandon Bor

Bran says, "I dunno about consecrating an altar, but it would take hours of work to physically demolish the altar, Aditi. And we don't have the the right tools."

"I say we just open the doors, find Ederick, and cut his black heart out."

If no one objects, Bran goes to open the doors, once everyone is arranged as desired near or away from the web-decorated portals.

Gwendol
2014-09-15, 02:19 AM
Athos helps with preparing the anti-venom remedy, having acquired some skill in the craft previously.

As the doors are being opened he mentally prepares himself for spellcasting.

Roland St. Jude
2014-09-16, 10:21 AM
Penny opens her mouth to advise against offering anything on the altar but seeing Bran was quickly talked out of it by those who knew him better, she falls silent.

On the renewed interest in the altar she speaks up, "an altar is like a beacon to an immortal and maybe a portal. We could try to bless it and re-consecrate it to another immortal, but it could summon the Night Spider or some of her minions to defend it.

I have seen a simple slab of rock consecrated but never have I seen an altar converted or destroyed. It would be better if this were gone, but I'm not sure we are - I am - the person to do it."

----
Brandon pulls open the doors and reveals nothing but a wall of earth. Mycah felt no breeze because there was no air beyond, just a solid wall.

Frivolous
2014-09-16, 11:26 AM
Brandon Bor

Bran stares, dumbfounded, at the wall of earth. "Ah, ha."

He keeps on staring. "Uh, wow. By golly."

He tries bumping at the wall of earth with his shield, just to see how solid it is. He also tries to pinch himself, just in case he's dreaming all this.

Level 4 Fighter

Bump the wall with his shield. Then pinch himself and try to disbelieve.

Roll if necessary: [roll0]

Kish
2014-09-16, 11:31 AM
"I hate to think we got to it and we have to leave it there." Aditi frowns at the altar. "But if it's impossible..." She turns to look at the double doors when Brandon speaks. "Some kind of decoy?"

Then she turns her attention to the murals.

Koren n'Rhys
2014-09-16, 12:59 PM
Mycah
Seeing the doors swing open to nothing, Mycah burst out "Dammit!", frustration plain in his voice. "We know that the orc leaders are down here, if no one else. Their champion and caster. We're missing something."

He steps up by Brandon and begins testing the seemingly blank wall, checking at the edges for concealed seams and so on.

Nevaera
2014-09-16, 03:48 PM
ASH

Considering the dilemma, Ash will aid the search for some kind of secret passageway. She relights a used torch and begins to thoroughly analyze the floor. She looks for signs of anything that might lead to the whereabouts of the the caster or where the gnolls enter and exit from.
"Perhaps there's a trigger for an opening. Maybe by the alter, the wooden landing, the pillars, behind a mural... we may as well have a look about. Perhaps touch all the walls in the case of a magical illusion.
"All else fails, I suppose we can at least summon those we seek - though it'd be less ideal than potentially getting the drop on them."

Gwendol
2014-09-16, 07:06 PM
Athos

That's unexpected. Luckily they don't seem to be trapped, but we still need to find a way forward. The altar is solid, but perhaps a pillar is not. Illusions can also be used to hide exits, of course.

Athos begins to examine the pillars, then the landing and finally the walls.

[roll0]

Nevaera
2014-09-16, 07:29 PM
ASH

Ash stops suddenly in her search as a thought dawns on her, "Neela, Athos, Penny... Have you ever heard of a spell for making or moving the earth? Perhaps that was the right way, but the caster made an earth wall rather than a web for some reason." She shrugs, unsure of the possibilities.

Kish
2014-09-16, 07:57 PM
Aditi shakes her head. "If there is any puzzle in the murals it's beyond me. I can think of two other possibilities for ways to get something to open, and I don't like either of them. The first is to light all the braziers, not just enough to see by. The second...is to pour fresh blood on the altar." She contemplates the text before adding, "Or put money on it, or cast a spell at it, if that would constitute an offering of magic; money or a spell would be less repulsive than actually offering blood to this thing, but if we come down to trying these ideas, I'd rather start with the braziers."

Roland St. Jude
2014-09-16, 10:51 PM
"Better light would help," Murray offers after Aditi mentions it, picking up a torch, "and I suppose that's the kind of thing you brought me along for." He moves to light a torch and begin lighting braziers and hoisting them.

Penny examines the altar and its message.

Matthew
2014-09-17, 09:30 AM
Nathros examines the room for evidence of secret doors.

Roland St. Jude
2014-09-17, 03:33 PM
To Brandon's shield arm and Mycah's careful inspection, the doors seem to be what they appear to be - double doors that open to a wall of earth. It holds fast against Brandon's shield bash, breaking loose some dirt and dust. No creases are visible to suggest the earth itself is a passage, it seems to be flush against the far side of the door opening.

Murray lights the various braziers and hoists them, and when he's done, the entire room is lit quite well. One can see from end to end.

Athos inspects the pillars, and they, too seem solid. Each contains a hooked spike driven into it, presumably for tying off the chandeliers. Otherwise, they seem normal enough.

Aditi looks at the murals, seeing what others have seen, very detailed images, each under a thin golden line forming an archway over it.

Neela nods in agreement at Ash's suggestion of magic. "That does seem like something a powerful wizard could do."

Nathros begins the long process of searching for secret doors, starting where he stands near the center of the room.

So far the basic exploration has been good.

I'd recommend combining where you are looking with what you are looking for. For example, Aditi's looking at murals is somewhat specific about where but really general in terms of what she's looking for. In contrast, Nathros' looking for secret doors is specific in terms of what he's looking for but really general in terms of where he's looking.

I'll roll for secret things like secret doors, but but if you have some skill or ability to bring to bear, go ahead and roll that.

Nevaera
2014-09-17, 06:57 PM
ASH

If Ash finds nothing on the floors (signs of something hidden or a switch/lever), then she'll take a look at the murals next. She looks and feels behind them, tugs on them slightly, contemplates trying to burn them, scratches at them with her gauntlet, contemplates removing them all from their hangings somehow...
If nothing works, she'll look closer and try more things that come to mind.

If still nothing works, she shrugs, "I don't know. Any other ideas?"

Then she'd probably check the dirt wall next and say, "Might just have to waste time and dig our way through. We could rest here, but there's a good chance our foe will have also regrouped and knows exactly which spells to prepare then. Course, our healing spells would also all be renewed, as would the mages be given a chance to prepare something more specific as well."

Kish
2014-09-17, 07:39 PM
"Unless everyone who ever passes through here is a magic-user or accompanies one, I'd think there would have to be some more mundane way of getting further." Aditi frowns up at the braziers.
She's studying the murals primarily with an eye to figuring out a riddle; she's currently overlooking the more prosaic forms of secret door.

Frivolous
2014-09-18, 12:11 AM
Brandon Bor

Bran shrugs and says, "Maybe the doors only go somewhere if someone sacrifices to the Spider."

Bran looks for a secret door in the wooden disc. He kneels and presses one ear to the disc as he knocks on it in various locations with the hilt of his sword, wondering if it will sound hollow or not.

Koren n'Rhys
2014-09-18, 12:33 PM
Mycah
Satisfied for the time being that the doors are merely for show, Mycah moves back to the murals.
"See how each one is outlined in gold? Maybe one or more are some sort of secret door. Could the images mean anything if we think of them that way?" He begins to examine them again testing the edges of the image (at the "frame") and at any potential door-like spot in the images themselves, beginning at the larger mural of the spider "queen". (closest to the door end I think)

Roland St. Jude
2014-09-19, 08:46 PM
Ash walks the floor looking for any hidden levers as Mycah begins to physically check the murals along the east wall, starting with the Spider Queen.

The images themselves feel glossy and smooth, not in relief like some carvings or even crude paintings. Feeling around at the frames, the thin gold arch, the scout gets the feeling these are slightly carved into the stone and then painted, no more than the width of coin, but the arch is definitely a notch carved around the mural. The golden paint hides it from view, but it's obvious to the trained hand. The other murals and arches prove much the same. The last, however, the beastly spider, while it looks similar feels rougher all along the edge. No tool or pry marks are obvious, though, it just seems worn away pretty evenly.

Near the center of the room, Brandon kneels on the wooden disk, testing its soundness with his sword. Near the center, it does sound different - not hollow exactly, but different. As Brandon is crawling along the disk tapping and listening, two other things are apparent to him. First, it's covered in a fair amount of dirt, soot, and blood, but second, the wood seems entirely undamaged by all the lamp oil fire that recently covered it.

Nathros continues to search the stonework for signs of a secret door.

The party's efforts yielded some results this "round" but I leave the thinking things out to you the players. Certainly some leads to follow but don't give up on your characters' lines of thoughts.

One feature of older editions like this are that challenges like this fall more on the player figuring it out than the character figuring it out. We can always resort to an Int or Wis check, if it comes down to it, but preferably the players try to piece it together or just try things until something works (or kills you all, mu-hahaha!)

Frivolous
2014-09-20, 03:38 AM
Brandon Bor

Bran announces, "This is weird; the wood isn't burned even a bit."

He uses a scrap of cloth from the dead gnolls to clean and clear away a small space of the wooden disc, then he draws his dagger and tries to scratch the wood of the disc, to see if it's really wood or some much harder substance.

Koren n'Rhys
2014-09-20, 10:22 AM
Mycah
With a fair amount of certainty that there is something different about this last mural, Mycah calls Nathros over. "Can you look at this, Nathros? Perhaps your knowledge of stonework will give you some insight I'm missing. See how the edges are different here? More worn than any of the other murals. Maybe the whole thing pivots somehow."
Mycah will examine the entire frame notch, applying pressure to the sides of the image to see if he can open it, or find some other spot in the image itself that could conceal a trigger or latch.

Are both of the feeding spider-thing murals like this or just one of them?

Matthew
2014-09-20, 11:38 AM
"Certainly. Let me see."

Kish
2014-09-20, 12:44 PM
When Mycah calls, Aditi will stop trying to figure out a riddle and start examining the mural he indicated for signs that it opens. She stands out of Nathros' way.

Nevaera
2014-09-22, 11:27 PM
ASH

Ash ceases her search to puzzle through the clues with the group, "Excellent. Seems to me that the wooden disc is the locked door and the mural is the key.
"Since effort was put forth to keep it hidden, I'd guess that there's some kind of switch-button, perhaps with a sequence, and some kind of mechanism that connects through walls or floors to move the disc."
As she speaks, she stands back behind Nathros to see what he might discover. She'll leave this part of the puzzling to the more applicable skills of her allies.
She glances at Brandon to give a nod acknowledging his very helpful discovery. "I think it must be enhanced wood perhaps, through magic or craftsmanship and material, I cannot say. Any chance we might just break through it somehow if need be?"
Just then, she starts to wonder if perhaps she should have packed a shovel and an axe in the magical bag with enhanced capacity.

Gwendol
2014-09-23, 06:07 AM
Athos

The magic-user returns to the murals, trying to understand the difference between those with an outline and the one with the roughened edge. He looks at the floor as well, trying to discern any marks along the floor that might shed further light on the mystery. Any insights you want to share, Nathros? he asks as he carefully goes from one mural to the next.
Once satisfied he has learned all that he might Athos will move to the wooden platform for further investigation.

Perception [roll0]
Alternate magics DC 14 [roll1]

Roland St. Jude
2014-09-23, 02:33 PM
Nathros' inspection confirms Mycah's, wear, but no tool marks, and no apparent mechanism. Still, the dwarf's sense is that that this panel moves, and given the evenness of the wear, it seems like it moves straight back.

Mycah crosses the room to the other side as Nathros and Aditi take over looking at the east wall. This one is the same right down to the wear. It's not precisely the same wear, identical in every tiny bump, in the way that the images themselves seem identical, but it's the same kind of thing.

Athos find no significant difference between the various mural that would account for the wear. Also the wear around the mural's edge does not seem to extend to the floor. The floor within the room seems the same in front of the mural and beside it.

Brandon cleans a small spot and scratches it hard with his dagger. It certainly looks and feels like wood, but it resists his attempt to carve into it.

"Magically protected? " Neela offers, watching over Brandon's shoulder.

Nevaera
2014-09-23, 04:36 PM
ASH

"Why don't we try simultaneously applying pressure, pushing, on the murals in the worn away spots?"

Kish
2014-09-23, 04:38 PM
As Ash speaks, Aditi pulls out a gold coin and tries pressing it against the wood in the mural of the shadow.

If nothing happens as a result of that, she says, "Okay, I'll do this one," as she puts the coin away.

Gwendol
2014-09-24, 03:01 AM
Athos

Having concluded his inspection, Athos checks his observation with the dwarf, knowing their knack for all things stone. Looks like this could be a door, and judging from the lack of wear on the floor or any other markings in front of it, as well as no visible gap between the panel and the floor, I'm guessing this slides inward. Maybe the wooden platform is like a door knob: to open the door the platform is turned in some way. Are there markings on it to suggest it can open one door at a time, or to make sure it slides into an unlocked position?
Athos leaves the mural to investigate the platform.

Perception [roll0]

Koren n'Rhys
2014-09-24, 08:06 AM
Mycah
"I think you might be on to something, Athos. Let's see if we can move the platform. There's are fewer of us than there were gnolls but maybe it spins easily once you try."
It seems to Mycah that the mural panels will push in, and he presses against the one he is studying with all his strength to see if it moves before going back to the Platform to join Athos and Brandon there.

Matthew
2014-09-24, 08:41 AM
Nathros inspects the surrounding area for any sign of a mechanism or clue.

Nevaera
2014-09-24, 09:54 AM
ASH

Though everyone seems to be pushing on the worn away mural spots at random times, Ash will follow up and do the same on the remaining ones. Unless the wooden disc is made to budge - then she'd go help them slide it sideways.

Frivolous
2014-09-24, 11:22 AM
Brandon Bor

Bran nods to Neela. "Yes, which means this disc is important. I bet it's hundreds or even thousands of years old."

Bran says to Murray, "Murray, I want you to help start cleaning the wooden disc. It doesn't have to be perfectly clean, but I want to be able to read anything inscribed on the disc, or see any decorations."

To the rest of the adventuring party, Bran says, "Let's check the braziers and the stairs to see if anything is written on them, or if they have any decorations."

Bran goes first to close the huge web-decorated double doors. Then he joins Murray in cleaning the disc.

Roland St. Jude
2014-09-24, 10:15 PM
Brandon and Murray clean the disk, removing the gnoll heads, wiping off the oil soot, dirt, and blood, and wiping it with a spare bit of cloth. Underneath all of that, the disk has two thin strips of wood running parallel, like the straps of shield. Between the straps is a message:

"Sealed by the grace of The Warden of Traladara. May bravery, defense, and virtue defend her."

---
The shadow and other murals lack the same indentation and wear as the spider murals. None of the murals gives way despite individual party members pushing at them. Nathros further examines the mural Mycah first pointed out for a clue or mechanism. He finds none. This stone either pushes directly back by some unseen or mundane means or moves by magic.

---
Athos returns to the platform to stand beside Neela who continues to examine it with a furrowed brow.

Nevaera
2014-09-24, 10:52 PM
ASH

"It seems to be just the spider murals that have the worn away bits."

If Brandon mentions the inscription, Ash's voice changes slightly reflecting the alarm within, "That's not the seal which keeps the spider immortals at bay, is it? What if solving this riddle only leads to releasing them?
"There's plenty of blood, strength, magic, and wealth in this room already, as the alter 'required'. In pursuing, we might end up unleashing the very beings we've come here to stave off."

She shudders a little at the thought of being responsible for such a catastrophic tragedy.

Kish
2014-09-24, 11:16 PM
"Wait, there are malevolent immortals imprisoned here? I thought whatever we were looking for was, at least as far as we knew, free to roam and doing so."

Aditi comes over and peers at the worn wooden indentation. "There has to be some way onward that doesn't cause immediate large-scale destruction. The residents pass through this area somehow--unless you think we're already as far in as any mortal has ever gotten, and this magic-user we were looking for went somewhere else."

Frivolous
2014-09-25, 12:43 AM
Brandon Bor

Bran looks down in awe and some confusion at the words and symbols on the wooden disc. He points and says, "The wooden shield is the symbol of the Immortal Petra. Her title is Warden of Traladara."

Nevaera
2014-09-25, 02:07 PM
ASH

"I believe the spider immortals were said to have been thwarted before, but at great cost of life. They were imprisoned. That's why we had to stop Ederick before he unleashed them.
"It's a shame there aren't a great many tales of their heroism, but I suppose the ancient evil would have tempted countless 'Edericks' of the times.
"Keeping such knowledge hidden in the temple was wise. The information was kept available to those seeking it for the purposes of good while it was mostly hidden from those more likely to abuse it."

"That's a good point, Aditi. My thoughts were originally the same, barring the use of magic to prevent our passage. In theory, it makes sense that a worn away spot on each spider mural is a sign of regular use, rather than serving purpose to unleash the great evils. I'm now thinking the seal is unlikely to be connected to the murals and something we'd best keep closed. It was situated here like this in Petra's name, after all. Best let sleeping dogs lie, as they say."

"Mycah, Aditi, Penny... would you mind entertaining a theory of mine please? Would you press the spots on the other spider murals at the same time as I? On 'one'. Let me know when you're ready."
When the others are prepared to assist (no matter who accommodates her request), Ash attempts to synchronize their efforts, "Three... two... one!"

Frivolous
2014-09-25, 03:09 PM
Brandon Bor

Bran joins the rest in in examining the wooden disc: pulling up, pushing left, pushing right, pushing down: all to see if the disc can be moved at all.

Looking for more inscriptions and symbols, he also looks at the undersides of the braziers. He then examines the stairs of the altar.

Lastly, if there is time, he opens the great web-decorated spider doors and looks to see if there is any writing or decorations on the other side of the doors.

Roland St. Jude
2014-09-25, 11:49 PM
Murray joins Ash, dropping a shoulder into the mural and pushing hard. It moves slightly back, but only the slightest amount.

Brandon continues to push and pull on the disk, eventually grabbing at one of the wooden straps. It pulls up in his hand like a literal shield strap, albeit made of wood.

Koren n'Rhys
2014-09-26, 09:24 AM
Mycah
Seeing the minor success that Ash and Murray had, realizes that maybe he just wasn't strong enough to accomplish the job.
"Maybe brute force really is all this takes," he opines with a bit of disappointment in his voice. "C'mon Nathros. You too Penny, Aditi. If we all push..."

Roland St. Jude
2014-09-26, 11:08 AM
People begin to gather at Mycah's direction. It becomes cleat that there is only room to line up four abreast to push on the mural.

Frivolous
2014-09-26, 11:52 AM
Brandon Bor

Bran staggers to his knees. "Oh.... Oh....."

He looks up at the others, and his eyes are open but unseeing. "The shield. We landed on Petra's shied."

Nevaera
2014-09-26, 01:41 PM
ASH

By the Immortals...
Though a staggering discovery Brandon's made, Ash stays focused on their task at hand.

Frivolous
2014-09-26, 02:55 PM
Brandon Bor

Bran wills the great wooden disc to shrink so it can be used by a human.

He remains kneeling as he waits for the disc to shrink and says, "This is a really powerful magic item. It belongs to the Immortal Petra. It has many powers. Like, it can sense danger, cure grave wounds, even stop time.

"The problem is, using any of them costs the user. A lot."

His lips twitch in fear as he contemplates what the shield might do. He takes a deep breath and continues to speak, his voice tinged with awe. "The Immortal Petra told me this. I saw these Traladarans long long ago beg for her aid against the Spider temple."

"So she threw down her shield. That's what caused the crater. It wasn't the Spider's doing at all."

He tilts his head a bit, then shakes his head. "She isn't talking any more. But it's our mission to take this shield to rightful and good authorities who can use it properly. Powerful things want it, some of them evil."

He pauses, then adds, "One more thing. The Spider Temple is awake now. Coming here and taking up the Shield did it."

He sounds really unhappy about that, and he sighs.

Kish
2014-09-26, 07:31 PM
"The temple is awake?" Aditi repeats. "Literally, or is it the temple's guards that are awake? I think you should keep the shield, Bran." She sounds awed as she speaks of the shield.

Gwendol
2014-09-27, 07:29 AM
Athos feels a liitle dizzy as he contemplates what has been said. "Are the enemy coming for the shield? Then we must prepare our defence!"

Frivolous
2014-09-27, 01:12 PM
Brandon Bor

Bran shakes his head and shrugs. "I don't know, Athos. I figure some our enemies must have passed this way already, but they didn't notice the Shield. It was too dirty."

"I do know that the Immortal told me the bearer of the Shield's mission is to prevent the Night Spider's daughter from terrorizing the area."

He sighs. "I guess we have to defeat the daughter and Ederick's group and before we go back home with the Shield."

He does not speak of himself bearing the shield, though. He looks inquiringly at the other potential shield-using party members (Ashala, Nathros, Penny, even Murray), silently asking if they want to carry the holy, immensely valuable and potentially dangerous relic.

Kish
2014-09-27, 01:24 PM
"Too dirty, or dangerous to them, or hidden from them?"

Frivolous
2014-09-27, 01:31 PM
Brandon Bor

Bran shakes his head. "I don't know."

Roland St. Jude
2014-09-28, 09:33 PM
Penny nods and replies to Aditi's comment. "If it's Petra's shield, a necromancer like Ederick or foul beasts like these," she waves a hand at the gnoll corpses, "probably couldn't touch it or didn't want to. If Neela is right, they cut it out of that hole above, and when it fell here, notice how they circled it instead coming on to it to attack us?"

----
Murray pauses to observer Brandon's discovery, waiting or a silence to speak up. "I think this mural moved - a little. Does anyone want to try to push this with me and see if we can push it open?"

Koren n'Rhys
2014-09-29, 08:48 AM
Mycah
"If we need to defeat Ederick and his minions before you can deliver that shield..." Mycah shakes his head in disbelief. An artifact of the Immortals?
"We still need to get out of this chamber and deeper into the temple to find him. Someone help Murray and Ash and see if that mural will move more, while we try this side." He lines up with Nathros, Aditi and Penny and together, they push with all their combined strength.

Frivolous
2014-09-29, 11:43 AM
Brandon Bor

If and only if no one besides him wants to bear the Shield of Petra, Bran offers his own shield, the lion shield he borrowed from his mother, to Penny.

"We need you hale and hearty, Penny, so you carry this until we return to Threshold and deliver the Shield to the temple of Petra."

"It's a really good magic shield my mother lent me, and it'll help keep you safe and fearless."

Nevaera
2014-09-29, 03:49 PM
ASH

Ash was helping Murray and the others with the mural, trying to make it budge. However, upon processing this revelation revealed by Brandon, she approaches Brandon to say, "I promised your mother I'd do my best to bring you home safely." She frowns and dips her head a little, "I will carry this burden, as it is a heavy one to bear. Your mother's shield belongs to you - better that you be the one to carry it home." She looks up to meet Brandon's eyes, the weight of a leader's burdens seen in hers though none such that it appears she's not fully prepared to take on the task. "Though, should I fall - I'll trust you, or perhaps Penny, to return it in my stead."
If Penny or anyone is in need of an ordinary shield still, Ash's will now be available. Otherwise it will be stowed in the bag of holding.

"Anyone have any insight on the cost of the use of Petra's shield? Does it cost strength, health, or their life perhaps?"

If Frivolous secretly hoped to wield the shield or if anyone has any objections - I just want to be clear... Ash is taking this on as a responsibility, doing this as a leader and for her team. I'm not trying to magic-item hog or anything. If the magic is tapped into to save the party from imminent doom, I'm under the impression that it's possible to save everyone at the cost of Ash's life perhaps... which would suck. So it's not something Ash is taking lightly. :smalleek:

Frivolous
2014-09-29, 11:59 PM
Brandon Bor

Bran willingly hands the Shield of Petra to Ashala.

"You should help move the mural. I don't know, but the Immortal said the Shield was used to seal the Spider here. It might be part of what opens doors here. Like a key."

Bran shakes his head. "I don't know what the costs are. But they're high. I wouldn't use even the least of them unless it were life or death."

Bran helps push the mural at Mycah's direction.

Gwendol
2014-09-30, 04:12 AM
Athos

Athos, not being naturally gifted for anything physical, does not participate in the pushing, nor has anything instructive to say about shield-holding, having no relevant experience on the matter.
Instead, he hangs back, but in a position to throw a spell through the opening should the mural slide back.

Nevaera
2014-09-30, 11:41 AM
ASH

Ash now carries the shield of Petra, wielded at a comfortable size, and helps push on the mural with the others.

Strength check? DC 11: [roll0]

Frivolous
2014-09-30, 11:55 AM
Brandon Bor

As soon as Ash walks away with the Shield of Petra, Bran lets his face fall and he sighs, kicking the wall and muttering resentfully about interfering and overprotective mothers. He'd really wanted to bear the Shield.

His mood changes, however, when it strikes him that he'll be able to paint the images bestowed upon him by the Immortal Petra. He brightens and whispers, "I'll be famous! My art will live forever!"

Kish
2014-10-01, 07:17 AM
"If the temple's not going to attack us here..." Aditi aids in pushing on the mural.

Roland St. Jude
2014-10-02, 09:04 AM
Lined up four abreast, the labor of pushing back the stone mural begins in earnest. The rock gives way slowly and through a sustained effort, it can be shoved back into the wall. Once it has retreated a few feet, it pivots to the left, opening a passageway ahead. It is exhausting work and one pulls away from the panel, the exhaustion remains. A dark passageway leads away from the temple chamber and already begins to slope downward.

-3 points of Str; no save

Anyone who makes an Int check will realize: This was the last mentioned sacrifice: strength for the wild

Nevaera
2014-10-02, 09:42 AM
ASH

When finally done with the pushing effort, Ash lets her arms fall to her sides as she leans against the wall next to the mural entrance. She pants more than usual and notes the others acting in a similar fashion. She frowns as she acknowledges the new weight of her armor and weapons.
"I - think we just offered a sacrifice. We shouldn't be this drained after - 'strength for the wild'."
She sighs with exasperation. "I really hate this place.
"Sorry, everyone. I hadn't meant to cost you all so much. I'd wish a better way had lent itself apparent."

Kish
2014-10-02, 10:30 AM
"I guess we couldn't get through there without sacrificing one of them, anyway. Maybe we should have offered the gnoll..." Aditi shakes her head. "But most likely sacrificing blood would have been just as draining in some way, and also maybe a really bad idea."

Roland St. Jude
2014-10-02, 12:36 PM
"Really bad," Penny echoes. Her voice falters a bit as she adds, "I don't think I would have let anyone do a live sacrifice, and I don't think a dead one would matter."

"We should go now before it closes or something," Neela suggests. "Magic portals tend to do that."

Frivolous
2014-10-02, 12:38 PM
Brandon Bor

Brandon agrees with Neela. He steps through the portal, along with all his gear.

"Maybe we should rest or something, see if we get better, heal up, regain spells. We can be sure our enemies didn't lose strength passing through here. They sacrificed."

Koren n'Rhys
2014-10-02, 01:45 PM
Mycah
"Close? What a thought - I hope we don't get trapped." He steps through as well.

Did just one open, Roland, or the doors on both sides?

Nevaera
2014-10-02, 02:49 PM
ASH

Ash makes sure Murray and Nathros take up the rear guard, then heads through with the rest of the group.

Gwendol
2014-10-02, 03:36 PM
Athos, mindful of his innate weakness, feels sympathy with the afflicted.
"I'll try and find a cure, if we need one. Maybe a good rest will let you get your strength back. "

Nevaera
2014-10-03, 11:14 AM
ASH

As everyone regroups beyond the mural wall, Ash ponders while trying to recall if she'd ever heard of a way to heal magically drained strength before.

Heal Knowledge roll DC 10: [roll0]

Frivolous
2014-10-03, 02:02 PM
Brandon Bor

Bran longs to sit down, pulled down by the weight of his armor. But that would be too dangerous in a sudden battle, so he settles for leaning his back against the wall.

He whispers, "Mycah, if you're there, scout ahead, please."

Koren n'Rhys
2014-10-03, 03:52 PM
Mycah
With a groan as he pulls himself back erect, away from the wall he'd been leaning on, Mycah does his best to comply.
"Right, sorry, I'm here." If it's dark, he'll need to take up a torch, negating any benefit from his invisibility, but he begins to examine their immediate area in preparation for further exploration.
No darkvision, so might be limited here. Also at STR 6 for who knows how long.

Matthew
2014-10-04, 08:16 AM
Nathros looks down the passage. "Dying with this new artifact seems like a bad ending for us. Has this area been sealed all this time, or did our enemies pass without offering a sacrifice of strength?"

Frivolous
2014-10-04, 08:54 AM
Brandon Bor

Bran says, "Good question. They might not have paid in strength if they paid in blood on the altar."

"As for whether they went this way.... Let's look for tracks, shall we?"

Bran looks for new tracks. Hopefully the corridor is very dusty.

Level 5 Fighter
Hit Points: 19/23

Ability check: [roll0]

Roland St. Jude
2014-10-04, 10:22 PM
Mycah looks across the room to see that the opposing panel remained closed. He moves through the open one and lights a torch. It fills the hall around him, laid stones like the temple itself for the first twenty feet or so before becoming hewn rock. The hall is the same dimension as the mural tall and plenty wide for a normal hallway. It slopes down steeply as it heads directly away from the temple ending fifty feet or so away in a landing or dead-end. If the temple room was once at ground level, this passageway would have lead to the next level below it. No other exits or side passages can be seen, only the passage ahead and back through the yet-open mural.

Murray agrees with Brandon regarding a break, "It's well-past nightfall above and we've been fighting and pushing all day. Perhaps there is a safe resting place ahead?"

Roland St. Jude
2014-10-05, 10:46 PM
The corridor floor is relatively clean, not covered in ages of dust or anything. There are no apparent tracks.

Frivolous
2014-10-06, 01:38 AM
Brandon Bor

Bran murmurs, "Strange. Just an empty room? Let us look for secret doors."

He begins looking, starting in the part of the room with worked stone. As he looks, he asks, "Do we want to rest here? I don't want to be trapped in here if the mural portal closes...."

Level 5 Fighter
Hit Points: 19/23

Look for secret doors: [roll0]

Koren n'Rhys
2014-10-06, 08:04 AM
Mycah
"No, there has to be another door here somewhere." He moves down to the far end of the hallway and begins to search the landing area for unusual seams or some sort of trigger mechanism for a hidden door.
"I'd rather rest in here than out in the open. It will be much more defensible that that huge space."

Kish
2014-10-06, 08:23 AM
Aditi joins in searching for secret doors, anywhere in this hallway that the others aren't looking. "I want to find any hidden doors before we rest, lest we be ambushed through them."

Roland St. Jude
2014-10-06, 02:28 PM
At the end of the steeply sloped hall, the passageway reaches a landing and turns almost 180 degrees to head back in the direction it came. It veers off only slightly to the north and continues to slope down into the darkness. From the landing, the torchlight reveals only corridor, at least another forty feet of it, with no side passages and no visible end.

Koren n'Rhys
2014-10-06, 02:36 PM
Mycah
"Damn," mutters Mycah under his breath, when he seeing the bare passageway continue on into the darkness. I think we need to know where that ends up before we even think of settling in to try and rest, he thinks to himself.

"It just keeps going," he calls back in a low voice to the closest person behind him. "I'm going to go a bit further and see what else is down there." Before anyone can stop him, he moves down the sloping corridor, taking the light with him, torch in one hand and his sword out in the other.

Nevaera
2014-10-06, 03:07 PM
ASH

Ash nods, but she produces a ten foot pole and some rope from her pack, "But first wrap this around your armor above your legs and poke about with the pole in case of pitfalls and traps." She shrugs, "Better safe than sorry."
She gives the other end of the rope to Nathros, a sturdy warrior still at full strength, and takes a firm hold on the rope in between, giving slack while being braced for any sudden pull against it.

Gwendol
2014-10-07, 07:35 AM
Athos carefully follows along, minding his step and keeping to the others. We really should be careful and look out for any hidden defences.

Frivolous
2014-10-07, 11:58 AM
Brandon Bor

Bran suddenly remarks, "Anyone think we can jam the door open? Do we have iron spikes or something?"

Nevaera
2014-10-07, 01:11 PM
ASH

"I suppose we have our cooking pot and some tent supplies... Though, I'm not entirely sure they'd hold up to the strength and magic of this place."

Roland St. Jude
2014-10-07, 09:09 PM
Mycah searches ahead, the torchlight revealing an archway fifty feet from the landing. He stops as soon as the torchlight reaches the arch and spies the thick, dark foliage beyond.

Back in the first leg of this hallway, the others consider trying to hold the mural open.

Just so we're clear, the "behind the mural hallway" takes you fifty feet away from the temple room, turns almost 180 degrees, and heads back toward the temple room. It steadily descends a total of about twenty feet over that distance. The open archway at the bottom is almost directly under the mural opening they came through, just a little to the north and twenty-some feet below. That means that the room beyond the arch lies under the temple room above.

Whether your character can recognize and visualize these last couple sentences is completely up to you.

Nevaera
2014-10-08, 09:54 AM
If Mycah had agreed to Ash's precautions, then she's still focused on the rope and how Mycah's search goes. If the others wish something from the pack on her back, they need only think of what they are looking for while searching inside and they will have what they seek.
Ash listens carefully and notes whether the pull against the rope is steady, halting, or stopped altogether.

She's paying attention to whatever her senses tell her - if it's a change in the air, a pull on the rope, an undetermined sound, etc...

Koren n'Rhys
2014-10-08, 01:48 PM
Mycah
Upon seeing the archway and (unexpectedly) some sort of natural growth beyond, Mycah approaches cautiously without moving through the archway. He examines the threshold and arch itself, then the foliage to get a better sense of what it might be. (Natural, unnatural, fungal, etc) He'll also look for signs that anyone or thing has passed through the area - broken or crushed greenery, that sort of thing. Armed with what info he could glean, he'll return up the ramp to report what he's found to the others.

As stated, Mycah had moved on before Ash suggested the rope. Young and impulsive, that one. Sorry! Ash can yell at him when he gets back.

Nevaera
2014-10-08, 04:25 PM
ASH

In this case, Ash is just watchful and shrugs off her own suggestion as likely overcautious.

Kish
2014-10-08, 06:20 PM
"I don't think we should put anything blocking the door that we aren't willing to lose," Aditi contributes. She keeps methodically scanning and knocking on the walls while she waits for Mycah to get back.

Gwendol
2014-10-09, 01:53 AM
Athos the frail

The magic user tags along the scouting team, ready to offer magical support should something spring at them from the darkness. As they venture further below he comments,

I'm not a dwarf, so I may be wrong, but it feels like we're doubling back under the hall we left above. If so it means the room ahead is right below the temple. I'm just saying this because when examining the altar it looked like there were holes to let the blood seep through. Maybe there is something here that needs that blood.

Frivolous
2014-10-09, 10:29 AM
Brandon Bor

Bran looks surprised. "That makes a lot of sense, Athos. Did we see holes? But they may have been real small..."

Kish
2014-10-09, 10:32 AM
"Giant malformed evil spiders," Aditi puts in. Still focused on searching the walls, she doesn't pay any attention to anyone's reaction to her words.

Roland St. Jude
2014-10-09, 11:27 AM
Mycah continues down the hall and the glow of his torch reveals fairly thick foliage beyond. Tall, reedy grasses and thick dark shrubs cover the ground and taller plants tower over them forming a dense, wild tangle dark greenery. The angles of things seems sharp and menacing. Small spider webs hang across various branches.

Directly ahead beyond the arch is a small area of open stone ground, the start of a vegetation-free trail that leads off to the right (south) in the room above.

As Mycah approaches the arch, he can spy into the room a bit better. The ceiling of the room is perhaps twenty feet high and tall foliage blocks the view across the room to determine its width or length.

Koren n'Rhys
2014-10-09, 12:06 PM
Mycah
Mycah backtracks to rejoin the main party, and reports what he found.
" I never would have expected to find such a..." he pauses, searching for the right word. "Lush? Environment underground like this. It's strange and unnatural." Describing the cleared path he saw, he adds "There could certainly be plenty of coming and going through there, I'd say, while safely avoiding the vegetation, spiders and who knows what else."

Frivolous
2014-10-09, 12:10 PM
Brandon Bor

Bran asks, "Is there light? Can't grow plants without light. Unless you count mushrooms."

Koren n'Rhys
2014-10-09, 01:15 PM
Mycah
"No, I saw it all by torchlight. Like I said, it's not right."

Frivolous
2014-10-09, 01:20 PM
Brandon Bor

By the expression on Bran's face, it looks like he agrees it's not right. The farmboy doesn't look very happy.

Then he blinks and smiles. "Hey. What do you think would happen if we set the creepy underground garden on fire?"

"If the vegetation isn't too wet, we could clear the area and get rid of all the spiders, too. We wouldn't have to worry so much about them creeping down and biting us."

Kish
2014-10-09, 01:24 PM
"I think there might be a problem with a plan that involves setting a place we're in on fire," murmurs Aditi, still knocking on walls. "Unless we have some way of making sure it doesn't come back up here."

Frivolous
2014-10-09, 01:32 PM
Brandon Bor

Bran beams. "It's a jungle or garden or forest. We're in a stone or earth hall. The fire has nothing to burn here."

"Sure, it'll draw a lot of attention, but we were probably going to meet enemies regardless. This way we put them in a forest fire first."

"If it is not too wet, anyway. But the beauty of it is, we don't care about destroying a forest. Like Mycah said, it's unnatural. And it's not our forest, anyway."

Gwendol
2014-10-10, 03:47 AM
Athos

Athos looks to Brandon: Well, we are here to destroy the temple and attempt to reverse the perversion of the land. We've already burned the camp above ground, why not try and burn this strange forest? At least we'll get rid of the spider webs. We should make sure to get back up to the temple room in order to get fresh air, I know my lungs don't support the smoke very well.

Koren n'Rhys
2014-10-10, 08:43 AM
Mycah
The young scout seems perplexed at the suggestion. "Uh, I suppose we could try something like that - I do agree it might help cleanse this place. But green wood and lush vegetation isn't going to burn very well and will just fill everything with smoke. We might be better off waiting until we're leaving anyway? There is a path cleared already, so we should be safe from spiders if we stick to that and just get through there for now."
After some consideration, he adds, "Even if we go back into the big room out there it will just act like a chimney and the smoke will go right out the top and attract everything still out there for miles around."

Kish
2014-10-10, 08:49 AM
"Go back out there? And what happens if the door closes? It took strength from four of us to get down here the first time." Aditi opens her mouth as if to say more, then closes it and goes back to searching the wall.

Nevaera
2014-10-10, 05:11 PM
ASH

"Mycah's right. We'll be smoking ourselves out and likely alert the mislead scouting team, thus luring them back to our location, if they're not heading back to us already.
"Maybe we can just light a bunch of torches and burn the webbing as we come across it.
"Perhaps there's something magical to the greenery here... The barbed or pointy bits - maybe they can poison or maybe they're just made to be sharp and uncomfortable. I don't know if there's any chance that some parts of it would come alive and attack us, but we aught to be prepared for such a thing just in case.
"Filthy chemical water of some sort or copious volumes of fire are a couple of good ways to destroy well hydrated greenery, but I doubt we have a sufficient quantity of either in this case. That leaves us with the obvious slice-and-dice approach, should it come to that.
"If not, then all we have to do is make sure we don't entangle ourselves in any oversized webbing - or rather, not inform the bigger spider beings of our presence by touching the webbing." Ash explains, "When a fly is caught, they seem to come right away to deal with it. They can probably tell when something tampers with their webs.
"Also, since it was dark in there, and there are webs, I'll bet the spiders have little to no trouble finding their way around in the dark, unlike us. Perhaps firelight will give us some kind of advantage - or perhaps the heat will attract them further, though I hope that's not the case.
"Those are my only concerns on this that come to mind at the moment."

Frivolous
2014-10-11, 12:12 AM
Brandon Bor

Bran shrugs. He is sure he'll get to burn something soon regardless.

"Let's rest. Here will do."

Bran is currently standing just within the hall beyond the mural door.

Roland St. Jude
2014-10-11, 04:54 PM
The party gathers, mostly around the turn in the tunnel, as Mycah returns with his report.

Kish
2014-10-11, 08:47 PM
"If there are any secret doors here, I can't find them," Aditi reports.

Matthew
2014-10-12, 03:44 AM
Nathros adds his agreement to Mycah's caution with regard to trying to burn the underground forest.

Nevaera
2014-10-12, 02:50 PM
ASH

Ash seems bothered about something and says, "We originally pressed onward to try to keep pressure on the caster - who may or may not have been Ederick - but now we've extended ourselves further and we might not survive an encounter with them very well. However, taking time to rest and prepare will give them about as much an advantage as it gives us since they probably have more powerful and diverse spells to throw at us than we do at them. I'd like to say we have strength in numbers, but they have the tricks and beings of the temple to use against us.
"So, does everyone feel it best we try to rest before pressing onward? And, does anyone know if there are there any stipulations as to when and how a necromancer might prepare or pray for their spells?"

Ash hasn't put the shield down or on her back during this time. She thinks to mention, "This place was originally sealed by dozens of tribal elders surrounding it and praying to Petra. That's when she came and crushed the temple into the earth. Also, Petra's shield is in some way cognitive and linked to Petra herself. I recommend we all consider prayer ourselves... "

Frivolous
2014-10-13, 10:46 AM
Brandon Bor

Bran says, "I think we should rest. It may take us a while, a few days even, before we even find Ederick."

"Besides, I want to see if the underground garden Mycah found has a day cycle. If it does, I'd rather travel through it when there is light."

Koren n'Rhys
2014-10-13, 12:23 PM
Mycah
"I think we should take a rest, too," opines Mycah. "The enemy spellcasters will get a rest, that's true, but we'll need every spell we can muster, I expect. Bran has a good point about the light. Maybe there is some sort of magical sunlight part of the time."

Roland St. Jude
2014-10-14, 09:45 PM
Murray agrees with a rest. Penny offers, "I will be more effective after I have a chance to rest and pray."

Gwendol
2014-10-15, 02:25 AM
Athos

If there is any chance of you recovering your strength, we should rest. It would have been good to keep chasing after the spellcaster and the orc chief, but we've been badly weakened and would likely lose the confrontation. This way we may still have a chance. Athos recommends.

Nevaera
2014-10-15, 09:51 PM
ASH

Ash nods in acknowledgement, "Then we rest here, I suppose. With any luck, perhaps our strength will return, but I find it unlikely. The blood sacrifice was a permanent one after all."

Nathros may take first watch with Aditi - between them, they should possess great awareness if anything should approach from the darkness. Ash will take the second watch shift with Mycah, a potentially more dangerous time of the night where magic armor, alertness, and invisibility may give them the upper hand. Murray can take third watch with Brandon - if there's light, they'll feel it by then and see better by it while both being in armor and ready for what battles lay ahead. The shifts are divided into four hours resulting in a twelve hour rest period.
It'll be difficult to be at ease in the landing and descending hallway and little to no room for bedrolls, but perhaps something can be made to work. There's the small benefit of this position giving only two entrance points and not a lot of room to get through, though it comes with the danger of being trapped if flanked or fired upon, perhaps literally, while having nowhere much to go. However, there's also the possible risk of the mural wall/door closing again, thus this side seems the most reliable location for the time being... plus the other room is full of blood and beheaded corpses.
The blood on Ash's armor seems to dry, rub, or drip into nothingness, as would the blood on her blade, though it's recently been wiped and stowed in her sheath.

Ash removes her helmet, revealing her short, tousled and damp, golden bronze bobcut and her deep green eyes. She speaks to the Companions as a burdened, but caring, leader. "For us who live, let us live for our fallen comrades and for those who still need us. And if that were not enough, some might know us as heroes, respect us as great warriors, and grant us thanks in the way of aid when we are in need. When we return, we shall carry the burden and honor of being victors over the evil here. For now, stay alert, but dream well."
Ash doesn't ready for sleep immediately, her armor is plenty comfortable. She watches over her allies, her friends, as they prepare for the night. She'll return her helmet to her head once set down.
She sits, at the corner of the landing on the side with the best view of the upper passageway, with her shield arm at rest over her left leg (Petra's shield covering her slightly) and her sword arm draped over her retracted right knee. She'll sleep either like that or at least in that place while taking up the horizontal position to recover better, her throat still throbbing with pain (still swollen and bruised), though temporarily soothed to some extent.
She untucks the carved wooden flower from her chest armor, appearing to both study it and peer through it. Her thoughts reach beyond and her heart lay in prayer to Petra for the strength to stop the villainous plot here, and for the wisdom and guidance to keep her friends alive through the endeavor. She also prays to any good (lawful) immortal or diety who might watch over the souls of the fallen.

---

If night watch is uneventful, Ash may perhaps chance a nearly inaudible conversation with Mycah.
It's been like a lifetime since that day she visited his enchanting home - when time felt still as the sunset fell upon them in the tower.

Gwendol
2014-10-16, 03:39 AM
Athos

As the group decides to rest, Athos approaches Neela. Pardon me, but as you've noticed I'm still a novice magic user, and by the look of things it will take a while for me to see my teacher again, if ever. Would it be possible for me to copy a spell or two from you? Naturally I extend to you the same courtesy, although chances are you already have my spells written down!
He pauses, waiting for her answer.

Frivolous
2014-10-16, 11:02 AM
Brandon Bor

Bran sleeps hopefully until the 3rd watch, when he is awakened to keep guard over the rest of the party.

Kish
2014-10-16, 11:08 AM
Aditi acquiesces readily to taking the first watch.

Koren n'Rhys
2014-10-16, 03:35 PM
Mycah
Finding an open spot along one wall, Mycah makes sure the others know where he is and settles in for what rest he can get before being awoken for his turn at watch. As he does so, he notices her studying his gift and a welcome smile crosses his features, unseen. He too, is aware of just how long ago it seems that he gave it to her. When his watch arrives, he'll move to join Ash. He mostly sits silently, listening for any sounds coming along the passage, talking occasionally in a low voice of more pleasant times.

At some point, he'll confide in her that he hopes he won't have to remain cloaked in the magical invisibility too much longer. "It has it's advantages for skulking about, I know, but to be honest, it's starting to wear on me. It's an odd sensation to look down at yourself and see nothing, when you know your body is right there. I'll be glad to be back to normal soon."

Roland St. Jude
2014-10-17, 01:25 AM
Neela smiles at Athos amiably as she slumps against the nearby a wall with a view of the open mural. "Guild law forbids it and my own master would likely disown me if it were discovered. Still, we are far from home and in dangerous circumstances. I would trade you if we had time. But it would take a week's work for us to master even one of each other's simplest spells. I suspect our eager allies will have us back on the march in a few hours."

The party rests for what seems like a night's worth at the bend in the hallway. In the "morning" Penny spends time in prayer as Neela studies her book. No trouble comes to the party during the rest and no sign of light appears in the room ahead.

Athos is welcome to continue the discussion with Neela. What she says is entirely accurate. Spell-swapping is culturally and legally frowned on, but some magic-users will do it in private. But it does take 1 week/spell level to learn and scribe a new spell into one's book.

Frivolous
2014-10-17, 10:50 AM
Brandon Bor

Bran swings his sword experimentally to see if he has gotten his strength back.

Roland St. Jude
2014-10-17, 07:13 PM
The blade is as heavy on Bran's hand as it was before he slept. The weakness may be permanent, or may just be not quite so temporary.

Nevaera
2014-10-17, 07:30 PM
ASH

Ash smiles softly and replies to Mycah, "I'd imagine it would be strange. It is a sound tactical advantage though, plus another could yet gain such invisibility tomorrow if we plan that way - maybe Aditi or maybe a plan 'B' option." She frowns and thinks aloud, but dismisses her planning for the time being.

"I know you're brave and you're fantastic at taking advantage of the situation with cunning and your blade - but please try to be careful today, okay? I - we need you more than you know."

---

Before the casters prepare their spells, Ash will coordinate with them (including Penny).

Frivolous
2014-10-18, 01:23 AM
Brandon Bor

Bran sighs. "Still weak."

Kish
2014-10-18, 07:52 AM
"I would have been quite surprised had the price been as low as being weak for the rest of one night," Aditi comments as she stretches.

Gwendol
2014-10-18, 07:57 AM
Athos shrugs as he is reminded of the time it would take to make the exchange.

In the morning he studies his spellbook, preparing the same spells as the previous day.

Frivolous
2014-10-19, 12:44 PM
Brandon Bor

Since Bran had the last watch, he is already wearing armor. He patiently waits for everyone to get ready for the further exploration of the dungeon.

"Athos, since you don't use a shield, would you kindly carry a torch?"

He prepares to go first or at least second in the march towards the underground garden.

Nevaera
2014-10-19, 07:49 PM
ASH

Ash coordinates a marching order with the group before the adventurers set out once more.
She might ask Penny to carry the magic bag in case of any disastrous sort of incident up in the front - for now at least. It'd make the crafty tools and supplies available to more of the group if the resources within were required too, considering her location in relation to the rest of the group.

While in the front, Ash intends to move slowly and carefully through the path in the next room and take in all she sees. She'll occasionally poke the ground before resting her whole weight on the next part whenever the elevation seems to suggest a potential trap trigger or smooth uneven surface like a floor plate. She will also try to notice if there's any sudden changes in the air (wind gust / smell / flow etc...). She makes sure to look up in case something is set to come down upon them as well. In short, vigilant and slow for now.

Gwendol
2014-10-20, 01:24 AM
Athos

Of course! Are we all set?

Athos grabs a lit torch and looks for a well-shielded position in the marching order. The smoke from the torch makes him cough a little worse than usual, but he steels himself.

Koren n'Rhys
2014-10-20, 08:15 AM
Mycah
Hearing Ash's response, Mycah sighs, knowing she's right, but still looking forward to putting this behind him and getting back to normal again. He catches her slip-up and reaches out to take her hand, giving it a gentle squeeze in acknowledgement. "We'll both get out of here, Ash, we will. All of us will." After their watch ends, Mycah remains near her, curling up by the wall and getting what rest he can.

As the group prepares to move on, Mycah works the stiffness out and readies himself for the challenges ahead. He trusts Ash's tactical planning and will take the rear guard once the party is ready to move on. He will let the group move ahead, trailing them as silently as he can and remaining just at the edge of their light so that he can see enough to watch his own footing as he goes. His plan is to stop periodically and listen for signs of furtive pursuit, then move to catch up again if all seems well.

Matthew
2014-10-21, 09:57 AM
Nathros readies his gear, refreshed after the rest.

Roland St. Jude
2014-10-21, 10:57 AM
The party arranges itself and heads through the open archway into the strange subterranean forest. Thick underbrush and shrubs line the path and the occasional small tree extends to the ceiling twenty feet above. As the party passes through the threshold, a noticeable breeze blows in from the hallway behind them and the air seems fresh for an underground room. Rustling in the underbrush and canopy can be heard over the crackling of Athos' torch, which provides a dome of flickering light. Still no external source of light is apparent. Underfoot it is a layer of dirt and sometimes moss, but dragging a foot, or a blade, reveals a stone floor underneath.

The path heads straight out into the room and veers slightly south as it crosses the room, passing within sight of the south wall. Murray mutters, perhaps to Neela or perhaps to himself, "so the large double doors were here on the south wall, and the other spider-beast mural was there across from the one we came through." The path eventually turns a corner and runs north along the east wall. It's too early to say for sure, but it seems as though this room is the same dimensions as the one above, save for the much lower ceiling.

Pausing here for any specific searching beyond generally being alert that people want to do. Also, any interaction people want to do with the surroundings.

Frivolous
2014-10-21, 11:12 AM
Brandon Bor

Bran stares as if in a trance at the stone, then says to Murray, "Murray, help me clean away the stone. I suspect there will be an inscription or drawing here."

He mutters in frustration about buying a whisk broom next time the party goes into town. Bran breaks off tree branches and uses them to help clean away the stone.

Gwendol
2014-10-21, 01:25 PM
Athos provides some light.

Nevaera
2014-10-21, 07:06 PM
ASH

Ash seems concerned about stopping to poke around. She whispers, "Knowledge is a valuable thing to gain, but if we stay in one place too long, we might leave ourselves more open to ambush."

Ash stays vigilant, but it's difficult to see much in the low lighting. She faces outward in defense of those that are near the wall and investigating the stone-works.

Roland St. Jude
2014-10-23, 07:16 PM
Bran, with Murray's aid, clears away a patch of dirt in the southeast corner of the large room. It seems to be unremarkable stone floor, covered over with thin layer of dirt and moss, perhaps, to facilitate this oddly-placed plant life.

Aditi senses that some danger is afoot.

Aditi danger sense skill roll succeeds.

Kish
2014-10-23, 08:05 PM
Aditi holds up a hand and stops, scanning the area around us warily. "Look out," she says, raising her voice the minimum necessary to be sure at least Ash can hear her. "There's something wrong."

Frivolous
2014-10-24, 12:05 AM
Brandon Bor

Bran frowns down at the stone, as if blaming it for not holding the secrets he expected. He looks up when Aditi speaks.

Bran whispers, "Mycah. Look around and try to find the danger."

Gwendol
2014-10-24, 03:32 AM
Athos

The magic user feels like a painted target holding the torch. Looking about he tries to figure out the direction of the threat, not forgetting to look up for any dangling spiders!

Koren n'Rhys
2014-10-24, 08:40 AM
Mycah
At Aditi's warning, Mycah freezes in place and begins to scan the area for any sign of movement or other danger. Cloaked as he is by the spell of invisibility, he will then undertake a careful circuit of the party's position, scouting for anything that seems to put the group at risk - either creatures or traps set in the area.

Move Silently (40%): [roll0]
Find Traps (30%): [roll1]
Nature Lore-Forest (10): [roll2] for "signs of unnatural danger" in this environment?

Nevaera
2014-10-24, 10:28 AM
ASH

Ash whispers hoarsely, "Take defensive positions, armored fellows with backs to the casters and Aditi."
Ash scans the area and listens for signs of movement. She glances up, looks left and right, and she studies the ground for signs of movement - even potentially caused by the likely invisible caster from the other day. She's half expecting an enchanted vine, a spider being, or maybe a snake.

Roland St. Jude
2014-10-26, 11:39 PM
As Mycah reaches the front of the party's formation, he notices movement along the path ahead, but the darkness prevents him from gathering any further details.

Assuming Mycah conveys his new knowledge.
No surprise round as both sides are aware of each other.
Tied for initiative.

Frivolous
2014-10-27, 12:31 AM
Brandon Bor

To avoid getting too far from the light, Bran waits for the foe to approach within range of his sword before he attacks.

He frowns as his weaker arm does not wield his sword as well as it has.

Strength is only 11, not 14, so no bonuses to attack or damage.

Level 5 Fighter
Hit Points: 21/23

Attack: [roll0]
Thac0: 17
Damage: [roll1]

Koren n'Rhys
2014-10-27, 07:53 AM
Mycah
Falling back along the path, Mycah gives the party a quiet warning of what lies ahead, then moves back towards the unknown foe and steps off the path to give whatever it is plenty of room to get by him. Once he has a more advantageous position behind his target he can decided what to do next.

Nevaera
2014-10-27, 04:53 PM
ASH

Ash stays defensive until the threat emerges. She'll engage in combat with the hostile.
If they seem to be the invisible caster, she'll also try to reveal their location by using her shield to scrape some dust at them - hopefully before they get a chance to cast something.

AC: -2 (-4 when parrying first attack)
HP: 21/26
Att.(sword): [roll0]
Dmg.(sword): [roll1] (-1?)

Kish
2014-10-27, 05:02 PM
Aditi stands well back from whoever's coming in. She holds her bow ready, but doesn't immediately shoot at anyone she can see.

Matthew
2014-10-28, 08:28 AM
Nathros tenses for combat.

Roland St. Jude
2014-10-28, 07:38 PM
A small squad of animated skeletons charge into the party's torchlight, swords drawn and shields strapped on their off-arms. Grinning skulls and hollow eye sockets nevertheless seem to express evil glee. Two abreast on the path, the first two crash forward, one being struck down by Ash. The other of the first pair makes a very competent sword-strike against Ash but it deflects off her armor. The sounds of melee echo through the large cavern room.

Mycah, just off the path, watches the third pair pass by as the first reaches the party's front time. He counts eight skeletons in total.

The path permits only two abreast, but nothing physically prevents someone from moving off the path. Of course, doing so might lead one into unknown danger, particularly during combat.

PCs win initiative. PCs' turn!

Kish
2014-10-28, 08:13 PM
"Gah!" Aditi fires an arrow (a nonmagical one, not one of the new arrows) over her companions' heads into the second or subsequent ranks of the skeletons.

Attack Roll: [roll0]
THAC0: 19
Remaining arrows: 35+12

Nevaera
2014-10-28, 09:31 PM
ASH

The initial burst of adrenaline surged through Ash as soon as the first two skeletons came into view and she hacked it down without hesitation - it's horrible and violated presence were plenty enough inspiration. "Grah!" She struck the first with a downward diagonal slash which shattered the bones across the flora.

Though fairly confident in her ability to manage whatever these undead have to throw at her specifically, Ash considers the damage that a well aimed skeletal attack could do on some other members of her group.
"So long as there are no new surprises - Bran, Nathros and I have got this, but we can only cover the path on our side.
"Penny - feel free to try your thing if there's no limitation to it's frequency of use."

Ash attacks the next Skeleton in line, her armor back-lit by the torch fire.
Brandon and Nathros likely remain just behind her poised to cover any skeleton that might push past or if something flanks from the foliage on either side. With Ash locked in close combat at the front on one side of the path, she allows a skeleton to push past for the other warriors to fight and she focuses her attention on the skeleton behind the one she slew.

Dmg.(sword): [roll1] (-1? [Str mod = -1])

Frivolous
2014-10-29, 12:32 AM
Brandon Bor

Bran relaxes a bit. He had been worried that the attacking creatures were poisonous spiders, or worse.

He attacks with his sword, saying in a mild voice, "These foes are not worth too much anxiety, but keep watch. The sounds of combat may draw other enemies, with extra legs."

Level 5 Fighter

Gwendol
2014-10-30, 03:47 PM
Athos draws his sling and fires a bullet at an approaching skeleton.

OOC: THAC0 20 [roll0]
Damage [roll1]

Roland St. Jude
2014-10-31, 05:00 PM
Athos and Aditi fire at the skeletons, Aditi seeming to strike true somewhere in the skeleton's back lines.

Brandon swings his sword but without his usual strength and he misses. Ash likewise comes up short in her attack. Nathros hurls his axe, striking the skeleton facing off with Brandon.

The party's rear lines continue watch the battle and the path behind them for signs of further trouble. Penny begins moving toward the front, her hand raised in a warding gesture as she tries to get a better view of what the party faces.

The skeletons attack, bones clattering and jaws bobbing up and down in a mockery of laughter. Brandon deflects a blow with his shield and Ash watches the skeleton swing wildly at her. The skeletons continue to press forward, mixing their front lines with the parties and putting the party's second line in melee.

Those some terrible rolls for Brandon! Yikes. DM action for Nathros. NPC hirelings mostly hold their ground and observe.

PCs win initiative again. PCs' turn.

PCs formation:
- Mycah ahead and off the path to one side
- Ash and Brandon
- Nathros and Aditi
- Athos and Penny
- Murray and Neela

Frivolous
2014-10-31, 10:00 PM
Brandon Bor

As Bran attacks the nearest skeleton again, he says in a calm voice, "Beets lettuce celery!"

Level 5 Fighter

Gwendol
2014-11-01, 02:35 AM
Athos sends another bullet towards the skeletons, once more aiming for one in the back.

THAC0 20 [roll0]
Damage [roll1]

Kish
2014-11-01, 09:17 AM
Aditi fires another arrow into the skeletons' back ranks.
Remaining arrows: 34+12

Koren n'Rhys
2014-11-01, 10:06 AM
Mycah
Silently holding his position as the skeleton s charge past him, Mycah watches the path behind, looking for anyone controlling the clattering horde.

Nevaera
2014-11-03, 05:33 AM
ASH

Ash attacks the skeleton in front of her again.

Matthew
2014-11-03, 07:39 AM
Nathros joins the fray ...

Nathros, Level Four Dwarf: M 90(30); AC 3(2); HP 14(10); THAC0 17.

Damage Roll: [roll1]

Roland St. Jude
2014-11-04, 11:55 AM
Brandon and Ash strike blows against the skeletons, cutting at their bones to some effect. Nathros swings his pole-axe smashing a skeleton from shoulder to groin and it collapses into a pile of bones.

Missiles fly errant around the skeletons' back lines. And Mycah cannot see in the dark ahead, but he hears some movement ahead and to the left (toward the center of the room). The sounds of armor clanking, like a person on the run toward the battle. The sound stops ahead and just to the left about fifteen feet away.

Penny reaches the front line and staring into the battle raises her hand a little higher. With a quiet word, barely audible through the clanging sounds of combat, she undoes the four nearest skeletons, which drop like puppets whose strings have been cut. Gone is the look of malice or the power of animation and the skeletons seem like mere bones.

The two remaining skeletons press forward, undeterred by the fate of their fellows, and hack at Ash and Brandon to no avail.

PCs win initiative again. PCs' turn.

Current Physical Order:
- Mycah ahead and off the path to one side
- Ash and Brandon
- Penny
- Nathros and Aditi
- Athos
- Murray and Neela

Frivolous
2014-11-04, 12:13 PM
Brandon Bor

Bran breezily says, "So much more convenient than hacking and slashing with a sword. But swords still work anyway."

He attacks the skeleton still fighting him.

Level 5 Fighter

Kish
2014-11-04, 12:20 PM
Still holding up her bow but not firing into melee, Aditi scans the darkness behind the two remaining skeletons, as well she can with her weak and dark-blind human eyes.

Koren n'Rhys
2014-11-04, 04:42 PM
Mycah
At the sound of an unseen assailant ahead, Mycah slowly draws his sword, hoping the sounds of the combat drown out any small noise he might make. Moving with care, he steps back onto the cleared path and moves to circle behind this new opponent.

Let's see if we can roll better this time...

Move Silently (40%): [roll0]

Gwendol
2014-11-05, 03:04 AM
Athos

With only two skeletons remaining, Athos decides to leave them to those more apt at dealing with the threat and instead extends his senses to what might lie beyond.

Athos attempts to spot/listen for any more approaching dangers.

Nevaera
2014-11-05, 03:14 AM
ASH

Ash gives Penny a nod of appreciation. She's concerned that all the noise will have attracted the attention of other unwanted presences, so she maneuvers around the skeletons and re-positions herself to flank with Brandon and Nathros while guarding the group from further up the path.
She attacks the skeleton closest if no other threats present themselves.

Matthew
2014-11-05, 07:45 AM
Nathros presses his attack ...

Roland St. Jude
2014-11-08, 12:37 AM
Brandon nicks on of the skeletons as Ash smashes in the skull of the other. Mycah steps onto the path and moves to flank the unseen foes. Aditi spies the movement of the underbrush as Mycah steps out, though she can't see what causes it. She and Athos, scanning ahead as best they can in the low light, see nothing else in the edge of the torchlight ahead, though.

The last skeleton presses ahead mindlessly but fails to hit anyone.

A sudden feeling of being held in place comes over Ash, Brandon, Penny, and Nathros.

Ash, Brandon, Penny, and Nathros all need to make a saving throw vs. spells or be held.

Current Physical Order:
- Mycah ahead and on the path
- Ash and Brandon
- Penny
- Nathros and Aditi
- Athos
- Murray and Neela

Frivolous
2014-11-08, 05:54 AM
Bran pauses....

Level 5 Fighter

Save vs spell: [roll0]

Possibly add +1 to the roll above since it is mind-affecting?

Matthew
2014-11-08, 11:15 AM
Nathros grits his teeth.

Save versus Spells: [roll0]

Gwendol
2014-11-09, 06:11 AM
Athos pulls out his wand and desperately tries to find the hidden caster.
"There has to be a caster hidden close-by. Likely a priest!" He says.

OOC: roll for perception [roll0] DC10

Nevaera
2014-11-10, 07:07 PM
ASH

After conquering her target, Ash whirls around - in theory, to face whoever sent the skeletons. That's it, a creator of undead - Ederick must be here.
"It's got to be Eder-," Ash begins as the power of the spell befalls her.
No-no-no- not now! NO!

---

If the spell fails, Ash will tumble off into the bushes and call out, "Spread out in groups of two that supplement each other. One group needs to stay with any that are paralyzed. The caster that killed Alanna is probably still invisible unless they're the one that tried to spell us just now."

AC: -2

?Paralysis Save DC = 12
?Spell Save DC = 14
Save roll: [roll0]

Kish
2014-11-10, 07:11 PM
Aditi opens her mouth, closes it, and fires an arrow wildly at the uncaused movement she saw.
Attack: [roll0], in the unlikely event that she's fast enough to have any chance of hitting the invisible enemy.

Roland St. Jude
2014-11-11, 09:43 PM
Aditi's arrow goes wide as Brandon freezes in place, able to see but unable to move. Athos readies is wand and scans for the hidden caster. Nathros and Ash feel the spell fail to take hold of them. Penny shakes off the effect of the spell and lifts her mace and steps in front of her paralyzed allies. The skeletons attack Penny, one of them cutting her with a sword strike. Murray inches ahead but stays on rear guard.

A pair of figures dart out of the darkness ahead and to the left of the party and into the light of Athos' torch. The dark-clad figures in wear tabards bearing well-crafted spider symbols. The painted on symbols worn by the gnolls above were crude in comparison. These two clap Brandon and Ash on the shoulders and each feels a penetrating pain.

Brandon -2 hp
Ash -2 hp
Brandon, Ash, Nathros paralyzed

Foes:
2 skeletons
2 dark priests

Current Physical Order:
- Mycah ahead and on the path
- Penny
- Ash and Brandon
- Nathros and Aditi
- Athos
- Murray and Neela

Technically, the foes won initiative for next round, but I'll allow Mycah and Athos to act in the above round. Let's hear from them before I post the foes' next round actions.

Gwendol
2014-11-12, 03:08 AM
Athos

Finally the enemies revealed themselves, giving Athos the opportunity he was waiting for!

Moving just enough to have a clear line of fire he waves his wand and releases a cone of magical energy, threatening to paralyze the enemy.

OOC: Move right just far enough to cover the priest attacking Bran. With Brandon already paralyzed Athos doesn't mind him getting in the way of the blast. If it is possible to catch a skeleton or two in the cone I will try to do so (but avoid Penny).

Frivolous
2014-11-12, 11:21 AM
Brandon Bor

Bran wants very badly to tell the 2 numbskull clerics exactly what he thinks of their little pinprick spells, but he can't. He is stuck raging in his own body.

Nevaera
2014-11-13, 06:57 PM
ASH

A growl rumbles from Ash's throat as she targets the dark priest closest to her, "I hope you are looking forward to your afterlife - I don't think you'll be waiting long."

These are intended as Ash's actions which take place during the same round that the dark priest damaged her for -2 hp. She Tumbled on the round the Hold Person spell was cast (unless a Spell Save takes a whole round to do?).
So as I understand it, she should be able to attack and move still. I'll roll an attack here. If this is incorrect, the attack roll may as well be forwarded to the next round.

HP: 19/26

Roland St. Jude
2014-11-14, 10:22 PM
Athos' wand emits a cone of force, like a momentary mist, that catches the nearest spider priest. He freezes in place.

Ash swings at her attacker but finds her blade turned away by his armor. Mycah moves into position behind him and readies his attack. The trio now well-within the torchlight given Athos' advance to the front of the main party.

-----
The priest grins cruelly at Ash and bashes her with his mace.

Mycah and Ash stand facing each other with the priest between them. The rest of the party, paralyzed Brandon included, spy a giant black spider picking its way through the foliage, just entering the torchlight.

Ash -5 hp

PCs' turn.

- Mycah ahead and off to the right of the path.
- Penny
- Brandon (paralyzed) and Penny
- Athos, just behind Brandon & Nathros, just behind Penny who jumped in front of him
- Murray and Neela

Frivolous
2014-11-15, 02:46 AM
Brandon Bor

Bran continues to try to move, but he cannot even turn his neck to see what is going on around him.

Kish
2014-11-15, 07:34 AM
Aditi returns her bow to her back and draws her dagger. She'll attempt to sneak up behind the cleric facing Ash.

Whether she can both sneak up behind him and stab him in one round or not, sneaking up behind him and stabbing him is what she's now trying to do.
Move Silently 35%: [roll0]
Hide in Shadows 24%: [roll1]
[roll2](minus four if it's not a backstab)
[roll3](doubled if it's a backstab)

Gwendol
2014-11-15, 10:46 AM
Athos tries to get a clear path to the spider, with the intent of using the wand once more.
"The priest is paralyzed for a minute or so, better kill him while we have the chance!"

OOC: will try and move just enough to get a clear shot at the spider.

Nevaera
2014-11-17, 04:50 PM
ASH

Ash growls as she uses her anger to fight the pain, "If I could resist the power of their spell... someone make sure that one never moves again."

"Spell Still the spider if anyone can. It's likely poisonous."

Ash will attack the dark priest near her once more, then she'll move to intercept the spider after a spell has been cast at it. That is unless it's getting too close to the party too fast - then she'd have to move in front to protect everyone.

HP: 14/26

Matthew
2014-11-18, 08:44 AM
If he cannot get into close combat, Nathros hurls his hand axe ...

Roland St. Jude
2014-11-18, 11:33 PM
Aditi rushes forward and plants her dagger in the back of the priest. He twists under the unexpected force of the blow but stays on his feet. Mycah had the same idea, but he misses, suddenly blinking into sight. Penny steps forward and attacks the priest with mace, but rushes and misses.

Ash steps between her scouts and the oncoming spider and fends it off with her sword. The solid blow causes it to rear back for an instant. Nathros' axe flies past and falls to the dirt trail. Athos moves forward and off the trail a bit to one side to try to get a shot at the spider. The spider shakes off the effect of the wand.

Murray and Neela press forward toward the rest of the party, and Murray plants his blade in the paralyzed priest, who bleeds motionlessly but seems to survive.

---
The spider lunches forward and bites at Ash but is denied by her armor.

The priest wheels on Aditi and finding himself in a crowd, he dashes north into the darkness beyond the spider.

DM Action for Mycah

Foes won Initiative and actions above.
PCs' turn!

Foes
Giant spider
Unseen fleeing priest
Paralyzed priest

Present Order
- Ash in melee with Giant Black Spider
- Athos, behind Ash and off to her left
- Mycah, Aditi, and Penny just behind Ash
- Brandon (paralyzed) and Nathros
- Murray and Neela

Kish
2014-11-19, 12:04 AM
"I'll deal with this one; my contribution to a straight-up battle with a giant spider will be least missed," Aditi says. She attempts to kill the paralyzed priest.
I know I automatically hit him as long as he's paralyzed; I don't know whether stabbing him in the back increases the resulting damage or not. [roll0], doubled if it's a backstab.

Frivolous
2014-11-19, 12:32 AM
Brandon Bor

Bran continues to struggle against the nightmarish paralysis.

Gwendol
2014-11-20, 09:54 AM
Athos

Cursing under his breath, Athos stores the wand for now and loads his sling. Taking careful aim he launches a bullet at the spider, hoping to stun it.

OOC: THAC0 20: [roll0], damage [roll1]

Koren n'Rhys
2014-11-20, 01:40 PM
Mycah
With a curse at his failure to take advantage of his invisibility after all that time, he dashes after the fleeing priest - apparently oblivious or uncaring of the risk to himself. With the others locked in combat with the spider, and Aditi dealing with the paralyzed priest, the duty falls to him.

Mycah, Thief, Lvl 5
AC: 5 HP: 7/7

Not sure if I'll be able to catch him for a melee attack, but here goes:

Attack (Sword): [roll0] Thac0 17

Nevaera
2014-11-20, 02:24 PM
ASH

Ash continues her fight in the stand off against the giant spider. "I'll try to keep it at bay. Be vigilant of the one who fled... and any possible 'friends' planning to join the 'party'."
As the spider threatens to harm her comrades, Ash focuses her physical energy solely on intervening against any such attempts it makes toward them. "You will not get past me." At that pivotal moment, she lunges with her sword and attacks the spider's nearest appendage.

HP: 14/26

Matthew
2014-11-23, 09:05 AM
Nathros gets stuck in, if he can ...