PDA

View Full Version : Question Pertaining to Wizards

Pinkcrusade
2014-09-01, 11:44 PM
Greetings, everybody.

So, I was browsing through some threads (and this idea is everywhere) concerning Wizards (wanted to find a way to boost DCs to effectively use sleep or confusion spells), and people keep mentioning that a Wizard should never, ever be in the eye of danger, and that there were many ways of preventing any enemy from even nearing you. I was looking through some PHB spells (a lot of the spells that people say Wizards utilize to be god-like and unstoppable might be in SC?), and of course there were a few movement debilitating spells (such as grease, black tentacles, etc..), but I feel as if I am missing out on some major Wizard spells to make you untouchable (Divine Power and Righteous Might for Melee Clerics, for instance).

So, I suppose these are two separate questions with only slight correlation: what ways can you obtain massive DCs for spells (Lost Tradition: Constitution or Strength is always easy, but I would prefer it to be scaled off of Intelligence), and what are the key wizard spells everybody keeps referencing to?

Thanks

Pinkcrusade
2014-09-01, 11:58 PM
Should've mentioned this: the character idea/ways to boost DC is for ECL 10

eggynack
2014-09-02, 12:25 AM
Well, a few classics in your level range include (greater) mirror image, which basically just stops anything that's targeted, friendly fire from exemplars of evil, which stops just about anything that runs off of a ranged (touch) attack roll, and often redirects it, and either contingency in a level or craft contingent spell, either way for something awesome. There's also always basic stuff like flight, whether overland, alter self based, or basic, invisibility in any form, and high AC or saves by various means.

Things obviously get even better at higher levels, until you hit things like astral projection from a genesis constructed demi-plane, with hide life protecting you from damage, a contingent raise dead effect protecting you from death, and some way of becoming an aleax of yourself protecting you from everything no matter what. Also, don't forget abrupt jaunt. That stuff saves lives. That's just the start too. I could probably just keep listing stuff for awhile without running out of solid wizard defenses, like mind blank, foresight, heart of water/freedom of movement, energy protections, and so on. Just name a form of defense, and wizards probably do it awesome style.

ILM
2014-09-02, 02:51 AM
So without semi-cheesy wand crafting, how many slots per day (and of which levels) is a Wizard blowing on his basic defenses?
- Mind Blank, level 8
- Moment of Prescience, level 8
- Elemental Body (air), level 7
- Greater Anticipate Teleportation, level 6
- Energy Immunity, level 6 - recast for multiple elements
- Contingency: whatever, level 6
- Primal Instinct (?), level 3 (I guess you can skip all that with Celerity)
- Detect Scrying (?), level 4
- Misdirection (?), level 3

That's basically the 24-hour protections that he'll cast when waking up in the morning, and I'm sure I'm forgetting a few, but how many spells is he left with for the rest of the day then?

eggynack
2014-09-02, 02:59 AM
So without semi-cheesy wand crafting, how many slots per day (and of which levels) is a Wizard blowing on his basic defenses?
- Mind Blank, level 8
- Moment of Prescience, level 8
- Elemental Body (air), level 7
- Greater Anticipate Teleportation, level 6
- Energy Immunity, level 6 - recast for multiple elements
- Contingency: whatever, level 6
- Primal Instinct (?), level 3 (I guess you can skip all that with Celerity)
- Detect Scrying (?), level 4
- Misdirection (?), level 3

That's basically the 24-hour protections that he'll cast when waking up in the morning, and I'm sure I'm forgetting a few, but how many spells is he left with for the rest of the day then?
Well, you can probably halve the slots for some of the 24 hour spells with some metamagic rods of extend spell, and contingency might as well eat no slots at all. I would also add some stuff like celerity and friendly fire to the list, along with maybe a couple of others. I've always been a fan of heart of water, for example. At the same time though, a lot of these spells are pretty high level, so by the time you actually have the ability to lose this many slots, you have enough spells that you're probably not eating into active casting that much. I mean, really, how many spells does a high level wizard need to make victory in a given encounter inevitable? Probably not many, especially with this many defenses up. You likely have plenty of spells to work with as a result.

sleepyphoenixx
2014-09-02, 05:28 AM
A god wizard only casts 1-2 spells per encounter. Then he can stand around, start looting or plink away with his crossbow while his other partymembers mop up the immobile, blind, dazed, stunned, etc. enemies, which they should have little trouble with because they're buffed while their enemies can barely move.
So you can easily reserve half your spell slots for buffs and still have enough to last you through the day at mid-high levels.

For your other question, the easiest way to increase DCs by a lot is Circle Magic. You can heighten a spell up to level 20 without needing a higher slot, so you get +11-18 to DC depending on the spells original level. You also get free Empower and Maximize.
Another option is to combine Snowcasting (FB) with any of: the Draconic Aura (DM) that increases DC of spells with the [Cold] descriptor, Draconic Power (CArc), Cold Focus and Greater Cold Focus (FB), Icemail Armor (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fw/20030323a) and Spell Focus/Greater Spell Focus.
You can also increase your intelligence by using Polymorph any Object to transform yourself into a high Int form, in addition to other ways to increase your Intelligence (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=176).