PDA

View Full Version : Fly vs. Gaseous Form - The Mathematics of cushy magical overland travel

Chaosvii7
2014-09-01, 11:51 PM
I'm making a Great Old One Bladelock eventually and I'm pre-picking his invocations and spell selection. I'm trying to crunch as many spells as far across the list as I can, but I'm having serious trouble deciding between choosing either Fly or Gaseous form as my spell of choice for traveling great distances. I've thus checked the mechanical benefits of both spells and written down some cliffnotes on them, as well as some basic math on the matter.

Flying > Walking
Fly speed of 60 feet per round
Can affect multiple targets with higher level spell slots
lasts for up to 10 minutes

Flying still > Walking
Fly speed of 10 feet per round
Resistance to nonmagical damage
Advantage on all physical(STR, DEX, CON) saves
Can fit in small nooks and crannies
Cannot affect multiple targets with one casting
Cannot interact with the environment or speak for the duration
lasts for up to 1 hour

FLY: (60 ft. per movement x 2 movements(Move + Dash)) x 10 minutes(100 rounds) = (120) x (100) = 12,000 feet per casting
GASEOUS FORM: (10 ft. per movement x 2 movements) x 1 hour(600 rounds) = (20) x (600) = 1,200 feet per casting

I'm siding with Fly right now, because I'm not looking at this spell's overall combat applications and focusing moreso on getting the best bang of travel for my magical buck. Granted, 1,200 feet plus all of the benefits of Gaseous Form is definitely worth it, but I can't cover nearly as much ground as I could with Fly.

I figure that even if I can't make up my mind, this can be useful to some of you. That said, which do you think is better: Flying or Gaseous Form? Which spell should I keep and which should I ditch? My opinion on the matter is nestled in the spoilers, but I wanted to get a general opinion from everybody else.

khachaturian
2014-09-02, 12:40 AM
fly- no contest. out of combat travel is probably the least useful application of flight. when you're fighting a dragon who is perfectly content to fly and strafe, the ability to get your big strong fighter and stab-happy rogue in the air is very useful.

pikeamus
2014-09-02, 06:05 AM
You've missed a zero on the distance covered by gaseous form. It's one sixth the speed but lasts six times as long, so covers the same distance (just very slowly - your allies plodding along on foot will leave you in the dust unless the terrain is bad).