PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Building an Eldritch Knight using ACG options. Looking for suggestions/opinions

Beowulf DW
2014-09-02, 12:13 AM
In my RL group, the DM recently agreed to let us redo our characters in light of the Advanced Class Guide. I and another player have already taken him up on this offer.

We were already at level 2, so I decided to simply take two levels in one class for simplicity, even though I know that this will likely push entry into EK back to level 9. Here's the plan for the build so far:

Str 18, Dex 10, Con 14, Int 16, Wis 10, Cha 9

Fighter (Mutation Warrior/Unbreakable) 2
Arcanist (Blade Adept) 6
Eldritch Knight X

For feats, I have Iron Will (Human), Endurance and Diehard (1st), Power Attack (2). I have Magical Knack as a trait, so I'll be able to pick up Arcane Armor Training as my 3rd level feat since that feat has caster level as a requirement rather than spell level.

Now, I picked Unbreakable mostly to get rid of Bravery in favor of Unflinching, and I picked up Mutagen Warrior because I won't be taking enough Fighter levels for Armor Training to matter. The strength mutagen will eventually begin to interfere with casting eventually, but I should be able to get some mileage out of it for quite a while considering the rate at which we're leveling (i.e. slowly). Even when it does start interfering, I can simply mix up dexterity mutagens instead to supplement my AC and reflex saves or continue to use the strength mutagen as an sort of "Oh, crap," button.

What do you think, fellow Playgrounders?

Beowulf DW
2014-09-03, 12:16 AM
Huh. Either my build is above reproach, or you all had better things to do.

One option would stroke my ego and the other would tame it...How perplexing.

grarrrg
2014-09-03, 12:31 AM
First off, Mutation Warrior does not combine with Unbreakable, as they both trade away Armor Training 3 & 4.

Probably better to stick with Mutation Warrior, unless you really need Die Hard and Endurance for something else.

How far is this campaign going?
If going to level 20, you'd miss out on 9th level spells this way, and dropping to just 1 level of Fighter would be advisable.

Lastly, kind of surprised no one has chimed in with "Go Aasimar for a 3rd level spell-like and get into EK at level 3" yet.

Huh. Either my build is above reproach, or you all had better things to do.

I was busy writing a new thread, that contained a build that was a thinly veiled reference to Dodgeball (the movie).

avr
2014-09-03, 02:09 AM
Lets compare your Arcanist Blade Adept going into EK with a Bladebound Magus.

The Arcanist gets a wider spell list & from character level 17 on it gets 7th level spells which the Magus will never get, and an Arcane Reservoir is easier to recharge than an Arcane Pool. 6th level spells come one character level earlier for the Arcanist. Spell Critical from EK is good.

OTOH it lacks spell combat, has to pay a feat for Spell Strike and a trait for Magical Knack (the free exploit presumably goes into Eldritch Blade) and misses out on free Magus Arcana and the other Magus class abilities. You'll get 2nd level spells at character level 6 (2 levels later than the Magus) and 3rd-4th 1 level later, 5th at the same time.

To me it looks like your Arcanist sacrifices early power for power much later on. For a slowly levelling game it sounds like a bad idea.

Beowulf DW
2014-09-03, 10:49 AM
First off, Mutation Warrior does not combine with Unbreakable, as they both trade away Armor Training 3 & 4.

Dammit. I hate keeping track of this stuff. That one thread that specializes in figuring this out hadn't updated when I did this.

How far is this campaign going?
If going to level 20, you'd miss out on 9th level spells this way, and dropping to just 1 level of Fighter would be advisable.

No idea how far this campaign's going. Probably not to 20th, though. It's an "open world" style with the slow experience progression. While the GM hasn't said anything along the lines of "We're stopping at X level," we're likely to retire the campaign before we get to 20.

Lastly, kind of surprised no one has chimed in with "Go Aasimar for a 3rd level spell-like and get into EK at level 3" yet.

Also, it was a rebuild of an existing character, so while I was permitted to switch class levels, feats and traits, switching race would have been a bit much.

I was busy writing a new thread, that contained a build that was a thinly veiled reference to Dodgeball (the movie).

You are doing God's work, sir.

Lets compare your Arcanist Blade Adept going into EK with a Bladebound Magus.

The Arcanist gets a wider spell list & from character level 17 on it gets 7th level spells which the Magus will never get, and an Arcane Reservoir is easier to recharge than an Arcane Pool. 6th level spells come one character level earlier for the Arcanist. Spell Critical from EK is good.

OTOH it lacks spell combat, has to pay a feat for Spell Strike and a trait for Magical Knack (the free exploit presumably goes into Eldritch Blade) and misses out on free Magus Arcana and the other Magus class abilities. You'll get 2nd level spells at character level 6 (2 levels later than the Magus) and 3rd-4th 1 level later, 5th at the same time.

To me it looks like your Arcanist sacrifices early power for power much later on. For a slowly levelling game it sounds like a bad idea.

Yeah. Nothing's set in stone yet so I am tempted to simply go pure Fighter and just hit things. However, due to the obscene amounts of bad luck I've been having in this game (I've gotten critted three times in as many sessions) I'm inclined to find some way to give myself an edge.

grarrrg
2014-09-03, 08:11 PM
You are doing God's work, sir.

Been slow the last couple days...no one's really 'gotten it (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?369857-Ultimate-Arena-Champion-PF)' yet. :smallfrown: