PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Gaining constructs

MCJennings
2014-09-02, 12:40 AM
So I'm currently in a game of 3.5 as a level 4 shaper psion warforged. So far I'm loving the construct theme with myself, my astral construct, and my psi-crystal.

I'm seeing so many ways to create homunculi and golems as well as various other constructs, but none seem to be possible for me anytime soon (correct me if I'm wrong). *I'd really like to keep from multiclassing*

So my question is this: Is there any way to purchase a useful construct or to convince/find one and have it willingly join us? For example, if a golem were controlled by an enemy and we were to kill that enemy without harming the golem, could I then convince it to join me?
If ANY are purchasable, what prices would they be? What book would I find this in?

sleepyphoenixx
2014-09-02, 01:37 AM
You can't convince a construct of anything, much the same way you can't convince a computer. They're mindless automatons that follow instructions.

There are a few psionic constructs (Psion-Killer in XPH, for example), but they still need Craft Psionic Construct. And Craft Psionic Construct needs Craft Universal Item and Craft Psionic Arms and Armor, so you'll be out 3 feats unless you're a Psionic Artificer.

As for purchasing, i don't see why you couldn't. All constructs you can create have their price listed in their creature entry, you'd just have to find someone to craft it for you and pay them. Useful constructs tend to be expensive though.

Mithril Leaf
2014-09-02, 01:09 PM
At much higher levels a staff of Greater Humanoid Essence would let you dominate them. Amusingly, the spell also allows SR so it doesn't work on Golems.

unseenmage
2014-09-02, 07:05 PM
Constructs are Magic Items. They can be bought and sold just like any other Magic Item.

However, they are Magic items who can also have if-then statement style commands programmed into them so beware the scheming mage who sells his Constructs to unwitting buyers after programming them with commands to ignore the commands of any master besides himself the first time the new master is asleep.

In the 3.0 Arms & Equipment Guide there's the Rod of Construct Control. It does exactly what it says on the tin. Again, beware because it works on you too.

The Warforged Domain from Eberron allows a Cleric to command Constructs, even Warforged, like they would Undead. There's an item in Magic Item Compendium called the Domain Draught that can grant someone a Domain for a brief time. Either take Leadership to get a Cleric Cohort who will then get you Constructs weaker than he is, or just hire a Cleric to do the same.

There's a feat in one of the Dragon Magazines that lets you fake out enemy Constructs for a short time and convince them you're their master too.

There are several spells that make Constructs too. Two of which are Instantaneous duration, which means the Construct created is a real thing that persists in Antimagic Fields. Edit: Awaken Sand and Create Crawling Claw are the ones that make real creatures. The other two can be dispelled and Antimagic Field-ed away.
Animate Objects is the classic of course. There's a 3.0 variant of it in Savage Species that makes a free-willed, but automatically friendly, intelligent animated object; that spell is called Minor Servitor.

Another 3.0 spell is Create Crawling Claw from Monstrous Compendium: Monsters of Faerun. It turns a pile of severed left hands into severed left hand Constructs. The spell as written doesn't care if those hands came from statues or golems or people, but that's splitting hairs. There is errata for that book that makes the spell instead make a Swarm. The stats for said Swarm are also in Lost Empires of Faerun, though the spell did not get reprinted there.

The last spell is my favorite, Awaken Sand from Sandstorm. It makes an ooze-like Construct that is intelligent, free-willed, and automatically friendly. The fun thing about this spell is that it animates either sand, or dust, or any nonmagical sand. See my signature for a link to the thread that gets into this idea more thoroughly. Intelligent free-willed Constructs made of Shapesand or Black Sand are quite scary. (Note: Shapesand is useless in combat as it takes tens of minutes to form.)

I'm also a big fan of the 3.0 Runic Guardian from Monster Manual 2 (there is errata for it), and the Spellsong Nightingale from the Clockwork Wonders (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/cw/20070115a) web supplement. Both let you put spells in them and putting in spells that make more Constructs is always fun. Not sure though whether an Awakened Sand/Minor Servitor would be friendly towards the Golem or the Golem's master. Guess it depends which your DM decides is the "creator".

Slithery D
2014-09-02, 07:20 PM
There are a few psionic constructs (Psion-Killer in XPH, for example), but they still need Craft Psionic Construct. And Craft Psionic Construct needs Craft Universal Item and Craft Psionic Arms and Armor, so you'll be out 3 feats unless you're a Psionic Artificer.

With Psionic Reformation you're never actually out feats when it comes to item creation.

MCJennings
2014-09-02, 09:46 PM
Thanks for the well thought out and interesting replies!

I'm finding a lot of interesting creatures and templates but it seems to be implication to make it work. Can animated objects, ice beasts, or awakened sands be used done so permanently?
And I assume items such as homunculi, clockwork mender, and iron defender which read under item creation that you cannot buy means that there's no other means whatsoever to obtain one than to create it?
Specifically in terms of Golems, I'm looking into getting a glass, chalk, soap, and/or salt golem. For my level they seem quite capable and somewhat amusing flavor fully.
The half Golem template, they don't gain many of the benefits if they don't turn evil right? I believe book of exalted deeds had some way to bless items and spells to be good, even ways to take usually evil creatures and make them good. So if I got a cohort through the leadership feat, and then made it a half golem- would our partys paladin have a way of keeping it good while keeping bonus'? It's a stretch, I know.

You can't convince a construct of anything, much the same way you can't convince a computer. They're mindless automatons that follow instructions.
Sorry to be hung up on this concept, it just seems the most straight forward and easy so I want to be sure I understand. So if the previous owner of a mindless construct is deceased, what then does it do? Now without orders to fulfill (assuming there's no will left to it of an "If I die, go and..." and it's mindless on its own, would it be possible to take it similarly to any other loot?

At much higher levels a staff of Greater Humanoid Essence would let you dominate them. Amusingly, the spell also allows SR so it doesn't work on Golems.
Rod of construct control and staff of humanoid essence look legit. But would this be permanent or temporary?

However, they are Magic items who can also have if-then statement style commands programmed into them so beware the scheming mage who sells his Constructs to unwitting buyers after programming them with commands to ignore the commands of any master besides himself the first time the new master is asleep.
I'd considered this as well. I thought I'd try and (while under simple commands to have it obey me) give instructions telepathically asking it a few yes or no questions discretely.

The last spell is my favorite, Awaken Sand from Sandstorm. It makes an ooze-like Construct that is intelligent, free-willed, and automatically friendly. The fun thing about this spell is that it animates either sand, or dust, or any nonmagical sand. See my signature for a link to the thread that gets into this idea more thoroughly. Intelligent free-willed Constructs made of Shapesand or Black Sand are quite scary. (Note: Shapesand is useless in combat as it takes tens of minutes to form.)
I LOVE how that sounds. And just to be sure, is it permanent? Is there a sheet somewhere of what the stats are or is there just the spell descriptor in sandstorm? I just feel like a lot of questions will come up with my DM and there wasn't much material on it that I could see.

With Psionic Reformation you're never actually out feats when it comes to item creation.
That's an excellent point! I hadn't given that power much thought before, definitely going to take it now. Gonna make me some SWEET constructs with that trick. Thanks!

Dusk Eclipse
2014-09-02, 09:54 PM
If you go the Psionic Reformation route, be sure to pick up linked power so you can do it on the fly... well technically in two round, but that is miles better than 10 minutes.

Another option is going into Thrallherd and ask your DM nicely if your Thralls can be constructs (warforged shouldn't be problematic), have one be an hordeficer and the other a cleric with the construct domain.

unseenmage
2014-09-02, 10:10 PM

I LOVE how that sounds. And just to be sure, is it permanent? Is there a sheet somewhere of what the stats are or is there just the spell descriptor in sandstorm? I just feel like a lot of questions will come up with my DM and there wasn't much material on it that I could see.

The duration of the spell is Instantaneous, that's all you need. Just like a Wall of Stone.

But, as a favor to my DM I did work up the stats for the Shapesand version. Spoiled below if you're interested.

AWAKENED SAND

Awakened Sands come in all sizes, shapes, and colors. They owe their existence as creatures to spells such as Awaken Sand or similar supernatural abilities.

A spellcaster awakens a region of sand, or similar material, to humanlike sentience.
To succeed, the spellcaster must make a DC 18 Will save. The awakened sand is friendly toward the spellcaster. The spellcaster has no special empathy or connection with sand they awaken, although it serves them in specific tasks or endeavors if they communicate their desire to it.
The sand creature the spellcaster awakens has the same statistics as a Huge animated object with a base land speed of 40 feet and a burrow speed of 20 feet. Unlike normal animated objects, awakened sand beings have the earth subtype, and their Intelligence, Wisdom, and Charisma scores are each 3d6. A sand being has immunity to polymorphing.
The awakened sand can speak one language the spellcaster knows (usually Common), plus one additional language that they know per point of Intelligence bonus (if any) it has.
Sand creatures are amorphous and can do anything sand would be expected to do—hide perfectly atop other sand, form into dunes and drifts, and pour through small openings (although passing through an opening two size categories smaller than the creature takes a full-round action).

COMBAT
Awakened Sands fight often as directed by the animator. Since they do not need to breathe and never tire, they can be extremely capable allies.

Engulf (Ex): A sand creature can engulf Large or smaller creatures as a standard action. It cannot make a slam attack during a round in which it engulfs.
The sand creature merely has to move over the opponents, affecting as many as it can cover. Opponents can make attacks of opportunity against the creature, but if they do so they are not entitled to a saving throw.
Those who do not attempt attacks of opportunity must succeed on a DC 19 Reflex save or be engulfed; on a success, they are pushed back or aside (opponent’s choice) as the creature moves forward. Engulfed opponents are considered grappled and are trapped within the sand creature’s body. The sand creature deals 1d6+3 points of damage to trapped opponents each round after the one in which it engulfed them.
Opponents that need to breathe risk suffocation (see page 304 of the Dungeon Master’s Guide). The save DC is Strength-based. 

Awakened Sand, Huge Construct (Earth)
Hit Dice: 8d10+40 (84 hp)
Initiative: –1
Speed: 40 ft. (4 squares); Burrow 20 ft.
30 ft. legs, 40 ft. multiple legs, 60 ft. wheels
Armor Class: 13 (–2 size, –1 Dex, +6 natural), touch 7, flat-footed 13
Base Attack/Grapple: +6/+19
Attack: Slam +9 melee (3d6+7)
Full Attack: Slam +9 melee (3d6+7)
Space/Reach: 15 ft./10 ft. (long)
15 ft./15 ft. (tall)
Special Attacks: Engulf (Ex); also see text
Special Qualities: Construct traits, darkvision 60 ft., low-light vision, immunity to polymorphing; also see text
Saves: Fort +2, Ref +1, Will +2
Abilities: Str 20, Dex 8, Con —,
Int 10, Wis 10, Cha 10
Skills: Spot +5, Listen +5, Search +2
Feats: Cleave, Power Attack, Run
Environment: Any
Organization: Solitary
Challenge Rating: 5
Treasure: None
Alignment: Always neutral
Advancement: —
Level Adjustment: —

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

AWAKENED SAND, SHAPESAND

Awakened Shapesands come in all sizes, shapes, and colors. They owe their existence as creatures to spells such as Awaken Sand or similar supernatural abilities.

A spellcaster awakens a volume of shapesand, to humanlike sentience.
To succeed, the spellcaster must make a DC 18 Will save. The awakened shapesand is friendly toward the spellcaster. The spellcaster has no special empathy or connection with shapesand they awaken, although it serves them in specific tasks or endeavors if they communicate their desire to it.
The shapesand creature the spellcaster awakens has the same statistics as a Huge animated object with a base land speed of 40 feet and a burrow speed of 20 feet. Unlike normal animated objects, awakened sand beings have the earth subtype, and their Intelligence, Wisdom, and Charisma scores are each 3d6. A sand being has immunity to polymorphing.
The awakened shapesand can speak one language the spellcaster knows (usually Common), plus one additional language that they know per point of Intelligence bonus (if any) it has.
Sand creatures are amorphous and can do anything sand would be expected to do—hide perfectly atop other sand, form into dunes and drifts, and pour through small openings (although passing through an opening two size categories smaller than the creature takes a full-round action).

SHAPESAND
Shapesand shares many properties with the stuff of uncontrolled Limbo—raw energy that can be molded into any form desired, according to the will of the shaper. The new shape is still composed of sand, but it has the qualities of the object it mimics.
Certain individuals attain a level of mastery over shapesand that allows them to exceed the substance’s normal limitations (see the sand shaper prestige class, Sandstorm, page 76). Even someone without that mastery can attempt to manipulate shapesand or take control of a shapesand item that was created by someone else (see the description of shapesand as a special material, Sandstorm, page 102).

Item Size DC
1 cu. ft. or less –5
1.1–2.0 cu. ft. 0
2.1–4.0 cu. ft. 5
4.1–8.0 cu. ft. 10
8.1–12.0 cu. ft. 15
12.1–16.0 cu. ft. 20
16.1–24.0 cu. ft. 25
24.1–30.0 cu. ft. 30

Item Complexity Modifier
Fine details +2
Functioning tool +2
Functioning armor/weapon +5
Multiple parts +5
Masterwork version +10
Moving parts +10

Item Cost DC Weight
Shapesand (jug) 100 gp 25 12 lb.

Shapesand is a special kind of wasteland soil that is psychoreactive; it can be sculpted into any form according to your will. The new object is made of sand, but serves as a normal item of the same sort.
A shapesand hammer functions just like an ordinary hammer, and a shapesand waterskin is just as watertight as an ordinary skin.
Controlling shapesand is an exercise in willpower. A DC 16 Wisdom check establishes control of a volume of sand based on the shaper’s Wisdom score:

Wisdom Score Controllable Volume
1–3 None
4–7 1-ft. cube
8–11 2-1/2-ft. cube
12–15 5-ft. cube
16–19 7-1/2-ft. cube
20–23 10-ft. cube
24+ +2-1/2 ft per 4 points of Wisdom

If your Wisdom check succeeds, you can reshape the volume of sand as you desire. Once control is established, the shape lasts as long as you remain within 100 feet of it.
Thus, those with sufficient patience and strong enough will can construct small fortresses out of shapesand, even if they must do so a few cubic feet at a time.
Another character can wrest control of a shapesand item away from you by succeeding on an opposed Wisdom check, though the winner’s Wisdom score must be high enough to shape an item the size of the one contested. For example, if two characters are attempting to control a 5-foot cube of shapesand, the challenger must not only beat his opponent’s roll, but must also have a Wisdom score of at least 12.
If you are a sand shaper (new prestige class, see Sandstorm, page 76) or a cleric with the Sand domain (see Sandstorm, page 107) using shapesand in conjunction with your sand shaping abilities, you do not count shapesand items against the total number of items you can maintain at one time. In addition, if you are a sand shaper, you can give control of shapesand objects to other individuals, and those items persist even if the new owner takes them outside the normal 100-foot control area. The new owner need not make a Wisdom check to establish control of the item, so long as his Wisdom score meets the minimum requirement for the object’s volume.
COMBAT
Awakened Shapesand fight often as directed by the animator. Since they do not need to breathe and never tire, they can be extremely capable allies. An Awakened Shapesand, like an animated object, can have one or more of the following special abilities, depending on its form.

Engulf (Ex): A sand creature can engulf Large or smaller creatures as a standard action. It cannot make a slam attack during a round in which it engulfs.
The sand creature merely has to move over the opponents, affecting as many as it can cover. Opponents can make attacks of opportunity against the creature, but if they do so they are not entitled to a saving throw.
Those who do not attempt attacks of opportunity must succeed on a DC 19 Reflex save or be engulfed; on a success, they are pushed back or aside (opponent’s choice) as the creature moves forward. Engulfed opponents are considered grappled and are trapped within the sand creature’s body. The sand creature deals 1d6+3 points of damage to trapped opponents each round after the one in which it engulfed them.
Opponents that need to breathe risk suffocation (see page 304 of the Dungeon Master’s Guide). The save DC is Strength-based.

Blind (Ex): A sheetlike Awakened Shapesand such as a carpet or tapestry can grapple an opponent up to three sizes larger than itself. The Awakened Shapesand makes a normal grapple check. If it wins, it wraps itself around the opponent’s head, causing that creature to be blinded until removed.
Constrict (Ex): A flexible Awakened Shapesand such as a rope, vine, or rug deals damage equal to its slam damage value plus 1- 1/2 times its Strength bonus with a successful grapple check against a creature up to one size larger than itself.
An Awakened Shapesand of at least Large size can make constriction attacks against multiple creatures at once, if they all are at least two sizes smaller than the Awakened Shapesand and can fit under it.
Hardness (Ex): A Awakened Shapesand has the same hardness as the substance it is emulating (see Table 9–9 and Table 9–11, page 166 of the Player’s Handbook, for the hardness of some common substances and objects).
Improved Speed (Ex): The base land speed given in the statistics block assume that a Awakened Shapesand lurches, rocks, or slithers along. Awakened Shapesand with two legs (statues, ladders) or a similar shape that allows faster movement have a +10 foot bonus to speed. Awakened Shapesand with multiple legs (tables, chairs) have a +20 foot bonus to speed. Wheeled Awakened Shapesand have a +40 foot bonus to speed.
Awakened Shapesand might have additional modes of movement. A wooden Awakened Shapesand can float and has a swim speed equal to half its land speed. A rope or similar sinuous Awakened Shapesand has a climb speed equal to half its land speed. A sheetlike Awakened Shapesand can fly (clumsy maneuverability) at half its normal speed.
Trample (Ex): An Awakened Shapesand of at least Large size and with a hardness of at least 10 can trample creatures two or more sizes smaller than itself, dealing damage equal to the Awakened Shapesand’s slam damage + 1-1/2 times its Strength bonus. Opponents who do not make attacks of opportunity against the Awakened Shapesand can attempt Reflex saves (DC 10 + 1/2 Minor Servitor’s HD + object’s Str modifier) to halve the damage.

Awakened Shapesand,
Huge Construct (Earth)
Hit Dice: 8d10+40 (84 hp)
Initiative: –1
Speed: 40 ft. (4 squares); Burrow 20 ft.
Armor Class: 13 (–2 size, –1 Dex, +6 natural), touch 7, flat-footed 13
Base Attack/Grapple: +6/+19
Attack: Slam +9 melee (3d6+7)
Full Attack: Slam +9 melee (3d6+7)
Space/Reach: 15 ft./10 ft. (long)
15 ft./15 ft. (tall)
Special Attacks: Engulf (Ex); also see text
Special Qualities: Construct traits, darkvision 60 ft., low-light vision, immunity to polymorphing; also see text, Shapesand (Ex)
Saves: Fort +2, Ref +1, Will +2
Abilities: Str 20, Dex 8, Con —,
Int 10, Wis 10, Cha 10
Skills: Spot +5, Listen +5, Search +2
Feats: Cleave, Power Attack, Run
Environment: Any
Organization: Solitary
Challenge Rating: 5
Treasure: None
Alignment: Always neutral
Advancement: —
Level Adjustment: —

Daishain
2014-09-03, 09:29 AM
The half Golem template, they don't gain many of the benefits if they don't turn evil right? I believe book of exalted deeds had some way to bless items and spells to be good, even ways to take usually evil creatures and make them good. So if I got a cohort through the leadership feat, and then made it a half golem- would our partys paladin have a way of keeping it good while keeping bonus'? It's a stretch, I know. Not that I know of, but if you're already using the leadership feat, wouldn't it just be easier to attract a warforged cohort of some description?

Sorry to be hung up on this concept, it just seems the most straight forward and easy so I want to be sure I understand. So if the previous owner of a mindless construct is deceased, what then does it do? Now without orders to fulfill (assuming there's no will left to it of an "If I die, go and..." and it's mindless on its own, would it be possible to take it similarly to any other loot?
Certainly possible if you have the means to take it with you. The catch would be getting it to accept your commands. I am not aware of an (mechanically, fluff wise it must exist) established means of transferring the ownership of a construct to another, but I would imagine that it would at least take a skill check for Craft construct and/or knowledge arcana, and probably some time in a workshop tinkering with the runes.

If you can haul it back to a major city, you should be able to find someone that can do it for you, but they might be... curious about just how you got the thing in the first place.

And then of course, there's the risk of activating dormant contingency commands, such as "kill anyone that tries to move you"

unseenmage
2014-09-03, 09:47 AM

Certainly possible if you have the means to take it with you. The catch would be getting it to accept your commands. I am not aware of an (mechanically, fluff wise it must exist) established means of transferring the ownership of a construct to another, but I would imagine that it would at least take a skill check for Craft construct and/or knowledge arcana, and probably some time in a workshop tinkering with the runes.

If you can haul it back to a major city, you should be able to find someone that can do it for you, but they might be... curious about just how you got the thing in the first place.

This is one of those cases where the mechanics and the fluff are the same though.
Constructs obey their masters.
Masters can command Constructs to obey new masters.
Constructs still obey their masters.

The process is even easier with Intelligent Constructs as they can infer intent and/or ask for the intent of commands.
There are a couple of Constructs with built in creator centric functions though. The Runic Guardian IIRC has a line of text that details what happens if it is ever commanded by someone other than it's creator. And Homunculus familiars damage their creator when they die regardless of who is empowered to give them orders. But to my knowledge these are mostly niche cases.

The only danger is if the Construct cannot be made to cease obeying a master and the few cases where the word Creator and Master are used interchangeably.

Also, the Rod of Construct control I mentioned previously is a guaranteed mechanical means of transferring command of a Construct.

MCJennings
2014-09-03, 12:57 PM
Not that I know of, but if you're already using the leadership feat, wouldn't it just be easier to attract a warforged cohort of some description?
HMMMM...... So simple... Might just work!

This is one of those cases where the mechanics and the fluff are the same though.
Constructs obey their masters.
Masters can command Constructs to obey new masters.
Constructs still obey their masters.
I'm sorry, would you mind rewording that? In that last line, when you say "master" do you mean their original one (probably creator) or do you mean the new master (me)?

... Also, the Rod of Construct control I mentioned previously is a guaranteed mechanical means of transferring command of a Construct.
The rod is unfortunately, while ideal and exactly what I asked for, a bit out of my budget til much later levels.

Dimers
2014-09-03, 05:06 PM
Complete Arcane has a template that can be applied to quite a few creatures to make them into constructs called "effigy creatures". The down side is that they lose most of what makes them special, so this is only good for big brutes. The up side? There's a market price listed right there, last paragraph of the section, page 153.

Applying templates can really help out an effigy creature, since they don't usually increase HD (and therefore cost). Ask your DM if templated effigy creatures are right for you.

unseenmage
2014-09-03, 10:08 PM

I'm sorry, would you mind rewording that? In that last line, when you say "master" do you mean their original one (probably creator) or do you mean the new master (me)?

I meant both. The Construct only knows obedience. Which master does't bother it so long as it has been commanded to obey. Without commands to the contrary it might even try to obey both.