PDA

View Full Version : Dragonborn Melee Cleric Advice/Optimization

StoneCipher
2014-09-02, 01:59 AM
Hello,

I just built this cleric for my friend's new campaign and I wanted to run it by the playground to see if I missed any opportunities. Unfortunately, I didn't see any way to fit DMM:Persist in until level 9. We are starting at level 6 and going to be fighting evil dragons in this campaign. He isn't allowing flaws or traits.

Dragonborn Lesser Aasimar
Cleric 3 (Bahamut)
Fighter 1
Ordained Champion 2

Stats: (Used Dice Rolls instead of point buy)
Str 18
Dex 11
Con 17
Int 10
Wis 15
Cha 12

HP 54

Feats:
Weapon Focus (Heavy Pick)
Extend Spell
Extra Turning
Divine Metamagic
Power Attack
Cleave

Domains:
Protection
Luck
War

Weapon:
Large Greatsword (Have Strongarm Bracers)

Armor:
Full Plate
Animated Heavy Steel Shield

Poke holes in this, gents!

Xerlith
2014-09-02, 02:41 AM
Cleric4/Ordained Champion 2 starts with third level spells.

Drop Cleave.

How do you plan to build from now on?

If you're more martially inclined, Fist of Raziel might be up your alley.

And you know, I like how you have Weapon focus (heavy pick) and then use a Greatsword.

StoneCipher
2014-09-02, 05:56 AM
The weapon focus is to meet the prereqs for ordained champion since it has to be your deity's favored weapon. Cleave was taken as a bonus through giving up a domain's special ability and had to be a fighter bonus feat, so I went with the simple solution.

Xerlith
2014-09-02, 06:09 AM
Then drop Power Attack and Cleave and use the feat swap from OC to gain Power Attack. A level of spells is a lot more valuable than the fighter level.

Gwendol
2014-09-02, 06:14 AM
Why do you have the fighter level? Is it for the martial proficiency only? In that case I guess there are better classes, like crusader. Also, Practiced spellcaster may come in to play here in order to offset the loss of CL.
Also, being the ordained champion of Bahamut and not wielding the god's favored weapon is a bit... well, non-comitted.

Xerlith
2014-09-02, 07:15 AM
Why do you have the fighter level? Is it for the martial proficiency only?

War domain gives both the Weapon Focus and the proficiency in the Deity's weapon.
It should be the Cleric's starting domain- saves a feat or two.

Also, as far as I'm concerned, Bahamut's favored weapon is claw attack. Nevermind, found it. Heavy pick indeed.

Gwendol
2014-09-02, 07:35 AM
As far as I know Bahamut does not grant the War domain, so I fail to see how that can be applied here. Also, OC is a restricted class, even though I personally think all deities should be able to elevate members of their clergy to ordained champions.

StoneCipher
2014-09-02, 09:24 AM
Oh I missed that part about it requiring hextor or heironeous. But, I'm sure I can get the DM to waive it for Bahamut, especially since Bahamut is very core to the storyline.

But like I said the level in fighter was for the bonus feat it carried which I used for weapon focus. That and gaining martial proficiency. I know the drop in spell level can be a bit burdensome, but given that this DM isn't going to be able to press us too hard, I think I will be fine. Unless someone knows a way I can get the heavy pick weapon focus without having to take fighter.

Oh and it doesn't require the war domain, as it will give it to you if you don't have it.