PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Enough NPC level to be a "legend".

Yael
2014-09-02, 04:26 AM
So, this recurring character I have, a Swordsage Snow Elf that went into Eternal Blade (not optimized, just the flavor), but I don't know which level would be enough, I also made him a Saint (BoED).

His level is around 14th, but I am not entirely sure if he would be worldwide known, or at least at a continental degree (like a huge continent).

Is 14th appropiate? There's also a CR16 Drow Sorcadin after him, so yeah... Appropiate CR or level? I'm kinda blocked here.

EDIT: He has the Wedded to History feat, forgot to add.

With a box
2014-09-02, 04:32 AM
In srd, legend lore spell
As a rule of thumb, characters who are 11th level and higher are “legendary,”

Thurbane
2014-09-02, 04:33 AM
Hmm, probably the best measure of how well known he is would be to use the Reputation (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/campaigns/reputation.htm) rule variant from UA, but even that is a little hazy and very much at DM discretion.

The Insanity
2014-09-02, 05:11 AM
Depends on you, the DM.
In my games it's not really dependent on level, but the character's actions. A character can be 20th level and be just an unknown mercenary who's simply extremely well trained and experienced, but doesn't like attention and fame. Of course, the higher level the easier it is to become a legend, because you're capable of truly legendary actions.

Yael
2014-09-02, 05:27 AM
I am asking because he is living practically since forever, even more than being an elf.

His story is from around the first spawn from elves, in my campaign, of course, which dates out from 50,000 years ago.

Reputation is a good option IMO, will try it.

Kol Korran
2014-09-02, 08:23 AM
I think this highly depends on the world and setting. In FR he may be known in his region and maybe a bit around. In Eberron he is one of the most powerful beings on the main continent, a force to be reckoned with.

However, I'd suggest to base his "celeb status" on what he actually did in his life. I assume people can get to very high levels with almost no one knowing of them if they seek to remain unknown, while 3-4th level characters, if they do something in the right place, the right time, and with enough of an audience, can get pretty well known, pretty fast. Look at our worlds' celebs: There are quite few highly well known people with little actual "talent/ skill/ experience/ productivity" in their fields, while on the contrary there are a lot of highly professional and experienced people in a wide array of roles which are anonymous to the wide population.

That's my thought at least.

Sir Garanok
2014-09-02, 08:49 AM
Depends on the world,how many high level beings exist.

Their acts,how they attained the xp.(doing "business" in underworld or other planes wouldn't help much)

How much he has traveled,so reputation might depend on the region or members of a particular party(the saint might be ultra famous to worshippers of same deity).

To sum up it tottaly depends on you,14-15 seems pretty high to me.

Chronos
2014-09-02, 09:00 AM
He's past the Legend Lore rule of thumb with three levels to spare, and his age will only increase his reputation. Unless he's been going to very great lengths to stay anonymous, yeah, he's legendary. On the other hand, his age might also mitigate this: There will probably be a lot of people who know of him and have heard his stories, but who believe that he's been dead for ages.

ngilop
2014-09-02, 09:22 AM
I am asking because he is living practically since forever, even more than being an elf.

His story is from around the first spawn from elves, in my campaign, of course, which dates out from 50,000 years ago.

Reputation is a good option IMO, will try it.

Level has nothing to do with a PC or even a PCs 'legendaryness" I mean dang dude this is a guy from the first elves ever.. how is HE NOT A LEGEND already. he could be a 1st level commoner and be a legend

But more to an accurate point. Level has jack to do with somebody's renown. While in D&D it is undoubtedly easier for a higher level person to become a legend, performing some great action is what makes one a legend.

A Last stand so that all the rest would get you known in all the books and tales of the world, (kinda like the Spartans at Thermopylae) being a saint kinda makes you a legend as well, just look at those abilities and the fluff that comes with it.

and 14th level. dude has been doing crazy 'I though that was impossbile' things for levels now

but really it goes back to 'hey im an original elf, yo' that alon makes this guy a legend, everything else is just super icing on the cake.

ericgrau
2014-09-02, 09:54 AM
Being powerful does have something to do with being legendary. But I at least agree that it is only a rule of thumb and you should use plenty of back story to explain his legendariness.

Palanan
2014-09-02, 10:02 AM
Originally Posted by Kol Korran
Look at our worlds' celebs: There are quite few highly well known people with little actual "talent/ skill/ experience/ productivity" in their fields, while on the contrary there are a lot of highly professional and experienced people in a wide array of roles which are anonymous to the wide population.

Outstandingly true. Many "celebrities" are talentless idiots with no real skill at anything but self-promotion. And that, sadly, is all it takes to gain notoriety and name recognition.

For the OP's character, his stature and deeds will probably be mitigated by what we can call the Chronos Effect: most people will assume he's a figure from distant legend, and recent "sightings" may even be attributed, by the especially cynical, as more recent copycats or wannabes.

Originally Posted by With a box
As a rule of thumb, characters who are 11th level and higher are “legendary[.]”

Any particular rationale for this statement?

jjcrpntr
2014-09-02, 10:07 AM
I agree with those who said it depends on the setting.

In the game I'm running now the players have encountered 3 NPC's that I would say are "legends" as in just about everyone knows them.

1 is a pirate, 1 is a merchant trader (high level monk), the other is the curator of a library of magical items/artifacts and spell books. She isn't super high level but she is known world wide for her cunning and intellect. I get that at certain levels players get the power to do legendary things, but in my campaigns it's more about what you do than what level you are.

Azoth
2014-09-02, 10:14 AM
Gotta say it depends on deeds and how much his reputation has spread. To go into literature, take a look a Domingo Montoya from A Princess Bride. Best swordsmith in the world, no one except his son and his best friend know it.

ericgrau
2014-09-02, 10:18 AM
Any particular rationale for this statement?
The legend lore spell as already given in another post. It should also be noted that per the DMG level 11+ characters are pretty rare. In some settings with different rarity it may actually be higher or lower level. And as many said fluff is a big overriding factor here and you shouldn't stick tightly to the rule of thumb at all.

Trasilor
2014-09-02, 12:23 PM
Personally I have a hard time wrapping my head around the age of this NPC. While it sounds interesting that he is 50,000 years old, that amount of time is very difficult to comprehend.

Regardless, I will endeveor to answer your question.

His status as "legendary" will most likely depend on "what have you done lately". People, tend to forget rather quickly. The only reason we know of legendary characters is we keep talking about them (like Saint Nicholas aka Santa Clause). Otherwise, they fall into obscurity and eventually people will forget about them. The fact that this guy is so very old, may actually hamper this.

Otherwise, unless his actions fundamentally changed the continent either geographically (destroying a mountain top) or politically (founding a city) he may have fallen into obscurity. However, if he did fundamentally change the world as people know it, he may have transcended Legendary to Mythical.