PDA

View Full Version : Index Monks of the Underdark?

Jon_Dahl
2014-09-02, 06:29 AM
Where can one find monks in the Underdark and what sort monks are they?
I guess Underdark is pretty much the same in every setting. If you absolutely wish to know the setting, let's sey Forgotten Realms and Greyhawk, both.

Gwendol
2014-09-02, 06:38 AM
Monks are lawful, which in a way restricts the communities in which one might expect to find them. I would assume there are Duergar monks? One could argue for the existence of Drow monks as well, but to be fair they don't make very good ones. Quite a few monster races could also be monks, I guess: Troglodytes for example (assuming you can imagine a lawful trog).

Thurbane
2014-09-02, 06:49 AM
Indeed - Duergar and Deep Dwarves would seem likely. Underfolk too, I would imagine.

The thought of an Illithid Monk is kind of interesting...if it's a non-associated class, a Mind Flayer Monk 8 would be CR12.

Psyren
2014-09-02, 07:11 AM
Shar is pretty active in the Underdark for obvious reasons, so I would expect a few of her Dark Moon monasteries down there. And since her followers have little in common besides being crazy, there's probably a lot of diversity down there too.

malonkey1
2014-09-02, 07:49 AM
Indeed - Duergar and Deep Dwarves would seem likely. Underfolk too, I would imagine.

The thought of an Illithid Monk is kind of interesting...if it's a non-associated class, a Mind Flayer Monk 8 would be CR12.

If you allow Eberron stuff, then an Illithid Monk/PsyWar with Tashalatora.

Seppo87
2014-09-02, 07:50 AM
Hit-n-run fighter goes pretty well with Monks.

Thurbane
2014-09-02, 07:56 AM
Kuo-Toa (the sample Kuo Toa "Monitor" is a 4th level Monk: MM5, p.97). They even have a little sidebar with two feats especially for Kuo Toan Monks.

The Insanity
2014-09-02, 08:10 AM
There are drow monks in the drow city with portals between city parts, its name escapes me though. They serve as assassins, because you aren't allowed to take weapons or other equipment when going through a portal.

Andry
2014-09-02, 08:27 AM
Undrek'thoz is the name of that city The Insanity mentioned. It is under Thay.

malonkey1
2014-09-02, 08:28 AM
Undrek'thoz is the name of that city The Insanity mentioned. It is under Thay.

So jerks and psychopaths the whole way down?