PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Working on a Druid Gestalt...

Quantumphear
2014-09-02, 10:15 AM
Alright, another gestalt character is in the works, and this time I'll be working with a druid.

This is a level 15 gestalt character, with 15 straight level of druid, non-negotiable. But instead of focusing on wild shape, or managing an animal companion I'll be taking the druid alternate class feature Shapeshift from PHBII.
"Level: 1st. Replaces: If you select this class feature, you do not gain
an animal companion at 1st level, nor do you gain the wild
shape class feature at 5th level (or any variation of that class
feature at later levels, such as the ability to wild shape into
an elemental at 16th level)."
"Wait Quantum, so you're deliberately giving up two of the three features that make you unstoppably powerful for some measly stat bonuses? Are you crazy?"

Well, I think D&d is fun when other players get to look good once in a while. And its a bit hard to see that happen when you crash every party as a twelve-headed cryohydra. Also I've been looking at the alternate class feature for a while, and generally wondering how to make it work well.

My current idea is to be a changeling and qualify for warshaper, then go into soul eater (bwahaha, evil PC's rule.) But the general plan is to be a secondary caster, but have most of my strength in being a front-line fighter with excellent stats, a good amount of reach, and generally wreck faces. I've also had a look at the Thayan Gladiator PrC, but I can't decide how I'll fit it in.
Fluffwise, this is gonna be a savage druid. Less fluffy bunnies, more darwin and kill or be killed.
So, with that out of the way, what are your thoughts?

sleepyphoenixx
2014-09-02, 10:40 AM
2 levels of Witch Slayer are almost always worth it in gestalt. You get Mettle and the class doesn't need any feats to qualify. Swordsage 2 or 4 and/or a dip into the other martial classes to get access to key maneuvers can also be nice.

Swordsage 2 gives a few nice maneuvers and Wis to AC in light armor. The Diamond Mind save replacers are a favorite, Burning Blade can add a lot of damage if you have several natural weapons, Cloak of Deception and Shadow Stride/Jaunt/Blink provide useful utility.
Swordsage 4 gives you Wis to damage, which works well with either Tiger Claw maneuvers like Wolf Fang Strike or the Diamond Mind strikes since you'll max concentration anyway.
Iron Heart Surge & White Raven Tactics can be picked up with a single warblade level at 9th or higher.

Another option for a melee focus is enough levels in Fighter to get Dungeoncrasher, Shocktrooper and Knockback or a Brutal Surge weapon. Every attack potentially does damage twice and the visual of throwing your enemies all over the battlefield is hilarious.

Another class that's seriously nice in gestalt is Heir of Syberis (2 levels are enough). A big SLA like True Creation or Mind Blank and you qualify for Mark of the Dauntless and Mark of Stars which both offer immunities that are somewhat rare otherwise.

defiantdan
2014-09-02, 12:41 PM
I'd just like to point out that you don't have to hydra all the encounters. there are perfectly non broken ways you use wildshape and animal companions. You could opt to take the form of a baboon, ride your brown bear into battle. Take something like zen archery and shoot arrows and spells from the comfort of your mount. Or take the shape of high dex fliers and sling spells and battlefield control from the skies.

As for gestalt anything from incarnum is great as they are passive instead of active classes. Binders are great for it as well.

It's better to have flexibility and just use the gentlemen's agreement then to actively try to hamstring your character.

Lastly, how does your dm rule the level draining ability of the soul eater? Being able to to dish out 1 (or maybe 2) unsaveable negatives levels per natural/unarmed attack is objectively more op than wildshape.

Fouredged Sword
2014-09-02, 12:49 PM
Monk 2 is hard to beat on a druid. Fighter 2 has some good points. Rogue or Scout can also be really nice.

Barbarian 2 / Rogue 11 / witch slayer 2 has a lot going for it. Pounce, evasion, sneak attack, and mettle make you really hard to stop in melee.