PDA

View Full Version : Evocation Spell Ideas (3.5 and PF)

Duboris
2014-09-02, 12:44 PM
Alright, so, primarily speaking this is just me planning out new spells that a future boss in my campaign will be using every round as a bit of a gimmick spell. One of which has a cooldown of 3 rounds, and the others which are used interchangably, and I was just wondering how they would fair as Wizard spells? Maybe even figure out which level they would be on the wizard spell list.

"Trial"

Our first spell is the main concern of the fight. Every single round, as a swift action, the boss, who happens to be a stationary magical pillar with sentience known as "The Lawful Stone" casts this spell. The spell is called Trial because it tests what the enemies are best at, but can never be halved, and also tests the party's resolution to stick together in the thick of combat.

This spell deals 5d20 split between all enemies in a 30 foot burst with a burst radius of 50 feet. The range of the spell varies, however, and can't be extended in any way.

When the spell is cast it focuses it's burst on the nearest enemy, and bursts out from them. Fate doesn't hit summons, but it does hit Eidolons.

Fate Splits it's damage, so, if you roll and do 80 damage, but there are only 4 people present, it deals 20 to every single one individually.

The save against fate uses that characters highest save, as it tests their ability. Against strength characters, the force of the spell bursts from inside them from beneath the ground. Against reflex characters the spell bursts near them, and against those of a strong will, it assaults their minds with damage. All of this damage is force based, and can't be reduced below half by a single save by any feat.

Should there be only 1 enemy present, it deals the full 5d20 to them, as well, and is not split.

I'm placing this spell at level 8
Casting Fate is a standard Action
Fate cannot be cast more than once per round.
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Meteor

Simple point and click destruction, this spell calls down a magically crafted chunk of brimstone and destruction from the sky, landing and doing significant damage to any and all that are present. The rock is large, and falls incredibly fast with a fiery explosion as a result. It is subject to elemental change and widening, and can even be maximized as well.

Meteor deals 10d6 Fire and 10d6 bludgeoning damage to all those caught within a 20* burst, and deals 8d6 fire and 8d6 sonic damage to all those beyond the initial 20 radius, but stops at the 60 mark. The Reflex save of the spell is 2 higher for those it is centered on. The save is reflex

It is a full-round action to cast this spell, and no spell can be cast after, or before it is used. A character must wait 3 turns to cast this spell again, and must roll a 20 fortitude save himself after casting it to resist fatigue for the next 4 rounds. A character cannot cast Meteor if they are fatigued.

I place this as a definite 9th level Evocation (Fire) spell
[b]Casting Meteor is a Full-Round action
Meteor cannot be cast while Fatigued from Meteor's effects.

Gavel

The simplest, and less murderous of the spells on this list, is Gavel, which does 2d6 random elemental damage to all those within 10 feet of the caster. The save is reflex based. Sonic and Force are included in the possibility. The force damage receives no save.

I'm placing this at Level 2-3 Evocation
Gavel is a swift action.
Gavel cannot be cast the same round as Fate

Evoke

Also one of the most simple spells. Evoke merely deals 5d6 random damage to a single target. The save is reflex based. This spell cannot deal force damage. If a 6 is rolled to determine the element, a 6 requires you roll again.

I'm placing this as 4th
Evoke is a single action.

Do you guys agree with these level placements? Would you use these spells? I would love to know.