PDA

View Full Version : [PF/Eberron] How much do I *know* about the faiths of Eberron?

SpectralTime
2014-09-02, 12:57 PM
My group is running an Eberron campaign in the Pathfinder system, using a loose set of conversions gleaned from hither and thither on the Internet. After some idea jamming, I'm playing a changling paladin of the Silver Flameimpersonating his dead mentor, who was a semi-famous guy poisoned by the halfling mob.

My character has the Mournland Refugee trait, representing the fact that he hasn't had a formal education and grew up mostly on his own, but since we're doing the "Eyes of the Lich Queen" adventure he's level five and has five ranks in Knowledge (Religion), as well as official membership in the Templars.

I've done as much homework as I can to make sure that my character knows the ins and outs of his own religion. Here's the problem: I'm not sure how much of what *I* know, *he* knows. For instance, there's the whole can of worms regarding Bel Shalor. Sometimes, it seems as though the worshippers of the Flame are aware of his existance, and part of the "adding the best part of yourself to the Flame" afterlife is building it up until it can be strong enough to exorcise the demon once and for all. Other times, the fact that there's a Shadow in the Flame that sometimes tempts good men to do evil things while believing themselves justified seems to be something that just doesn't occur to the people involved, and I seem to remember reading that his existence is only known to a select few.

For that matter, I the player know that the Blood of Vol is basically Eberronian Scientology, with a bunch of mostly-decent and normal people getting swept up at a vulnerable time in their lives into a cult run by a bunch of evil hucksters that lie to them while taking their stuff. (Blood, in this case, rather than money, though I'm sure they don't turn down either.) But does my character?

This is mostly a role-playing advice request. I've got his build pretty down pat, and he's not disappointed me yet.

I should note that I'm trying to play him as a good-natured and tolerant sort rather than a smites-and-shouting whenever he sees something he doesn't like kind of guy. Intelligence is one of his lowest stats, and part of his character is that he knows his teammates are largely smarter than him and so defers to their judgement most of the time, so long as they aren't being dangerous and irresponsible.

Xerlith
2014-09-02, 01:39 PM
Most of the info you want, along with corresponding Know(religion) DCs is in Faiths of Eberron handbook.
If I were you, though, I'd just plainly ask the DM for those kinds of things - especially those that are most probable to come up. Remember, he could change some stuff and whatnot.

Generally, I'd say - you know what the Flame is, how it originated, but as of now you know only it is a prison - not necessarily that there is a second Voice in the Flame. Remember, this is a knowledge that very, very few have - and most of those are corrupted by the voice, either serving the imprisoned demon or taking it for the voice of the real Flame itself.

And, as a sidenote, playing a good-natured not-smite happy Flame paladin may prove difficult to justify. :smallamused:

SpectralTime
2014-09-02, 01:42 PM
I'll see what I can do. Thanks for the recommendation. I've been borrowing his Eberron books for the most part, so I'll ask him for that one in particular.

Also, is there a particular reason why not being smite-happy would be difficult to justify? I thought the Silver Flame was making a concerted effort to move in a "hate the sin, love the sinner" direction after the Purge debacle.

...Ya know, I'm sure that information is *also* in Faiths of Eberron. Sorry. Thanks again for the tip.

Kol Korran
2014-09-02, 03:15 PM
This IS a epilepsy decision, and you need to decide what your character THINKS he knows.

For you see, one of the major points in Eberron, and certainly concerning religion, is that nothing is certain, but a matter of belief, interpretation, and DM decision. Most of the info in "Faiths of Eberron " is presented as theories, and Orbison just that theories...

No one really KNOWS what the silver flame or the voices people here are. And though it is agreed that the blood of Vol was intended as a face for Vol's machinations, mostly her high ups know this, and a Real religion, belief, way of life and worship have developed. I'd imagine that many Karrnathi wouldn't mind knowing Vol was behind this. They'll consider her a martyred saint who has shown them the way. Also-we don't know much of what Vol believes in...

My point is this- there is no certain "truth" (though most believers will accept what they believe in as true) so you can decide what is Your personal belief- what sort of ideals, spirituality and form of divinity do you feel your character would find...true for him?

Eberron's religions are rich, complex, flavorful, with a lot of room for ambiguity, interpretation and discussion. As is most of Eberron's lore in general... feel free to explore what it means to be a believer in thisworld. Eberron is the place for it.

Oh, end I think your concept for the paLatin is quite fine, and seems very interesting to play. Go for it!