PDA

View Full Version : Working on an "Ethereal" Boss for the next leg of a campaign and could use some ideas

FishBonePendant
2014-09-02, 02:08 PM
Like I said in the title I need some spell ideas (Using the variant classes section of DMG 3.5, pg174) for a spellcaster that travels through the Ether. (Think Planeswalker or Eldrazi)

I'm digging through like every friggin book I own trying to find spells that feel like they come from nowhere or move behind reality for the boss's spell list, Like Dimension hop or False Gravity, but I'm having trouble filling in a variety for levels (I might keep this as a class for later campaigns or players)

Do you guys have any favorite spells or ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Segev
2014-09-02, 02:29 PM
Transdimensional Spell (the metamagic feat from C. Arcane) will be useful. Use it on TK or even the lowly Mage Hand, and he can reach out from the Ethereal to affect the material. Magic Mouth and Ghost Sound can help there, too.

Transdimensional Project Image would be rather awesome, actually. The poor man's version would be Transdimensional Minor Image or Silent Image+Ghost Sound.

Transdimensional Disguise Self would let him be visible on the Material from the Ethereal...as whatever his Disguise made him look like, anyway. Transdimensional Summon Monster...really, any transdimensional spell cast from the Ethereal will baffle players for a while.

Obscuring Mist is also pretty good for atmosphere; the Ethereal is a pretty misty-looking place.

FishBonePendant
2014-09-02, 03:06 PM
Thanks for the ideas! these'll make the bad guy's evocation spells have some more flare.

Segev
2014-09-02, 03:10 PM
Ah, you're not talking about a caster who travels on the ethereal plane?

Is "the Ether" a defined thing in a rules sense, in a setting sense, or just in a conceptual sense (in that you are conceiving it as being something)?

Because the Ethereal and Astral planes fill some of that role of "connecting everything" in D&D. On the other hand, I could be misreading you. What is it you're envisioning?

FishBonePendant
2014-09-02, 03:19 PM
Ah, you're not talking about a caster who travels on the ethereal plane?

Is "the Ether" a defined thing in a rules sense, in a setting sense, or just in a conceptual sense (in that you are conceiving it as being something)?

Because the Ethereal and Astral planes fill some of that role of "connecting everything" in D&D. On the other hand, I could be misreading you. What is it you're envisioning?

I guess I mean Ether in a rules, conceptual, and setting sense. People who actually believe there is and ether think of it the same way. The ether is manipulated by arcane spellcasters to use their magic, and channeled by psionic manifesters to carry their thoughts into the physical world.

I think the Wandering Eye from Gunnerkrig court explains it best: http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=1120 (Keep clicking next)

That's the essential definition of Ethreal I use for my games to explain planar travel and spellcasting.

Segev
2014-09-02, 03:38 PM
Sounds a lot like the Astral Plane as described in D&D, then. Do you intend this guy to be on another plane when he's "traveling," or what is "traveling the ether" supposed to represent to you?

How is this different from just teleporting a lot? I ask because I'm still not sure what it is you're looking for, but you indicated that it being a "place" or "plane" on which one could exist doesn't work.

FishBonePendant
2014-09-02, 03:50 PM
He doesn't really live inside the Ether, his home is a pocket dimension that holds his "temple". He's just gotten so in tune with the ether that he can slide through it and see it without it being collected in one place. I'm planning on having a monologue of him describing how the universe is "shaped", claiming he'd swam through the ether far enough to look back and see all the planes collected together.

Hazrond
2014-09-02, 08:49 PM
He doesn't really live inside the Ether, his home is a pocket dimension that holds his "temple". He's just gotten so in tune with the ether that he can slide through it and see it without it being collected in one place. I'm planning on having a monologue of him describing how the universe is "shaped", claiming he'd swam through the ether far enough to look back and see all the planes collected together.

Sounds like a demiplane on the astral plane to me :smallwink:

Phelix-Mu
2014-09-02, 09:24 PM
I had some ghost-like plant creatures in a cursed forest. They would materialisu into the Prime and tear apart intruders.:smallwink:

I really like the idea of tacking warlock levels onto Ethereal Ravagers. They are a pretty strong chassis, and if their EB powers stack, they can really dish out some damage. They also might fit with the Astral-ish flavor of the Ether, since they have a bunch of magic-like powers (easily refluffed as bursts of spellfire).

PraxisVetli
2014-09-03, 01:50 AM
I don't know a lot about Spells, but switching Ethereal Marauders' feats out for Dodge and Mobility, then advance them enough to grab Spring Attack, they're pretty great.

Larkas
2014-09-03, 05:49 AM
Not a spell, but an item that might be useful: a ghost touch gauntlet lets an ethereal creature manipulate, and of course hit, stuff in the Material.