PDA

View Full Version : Fate core extras for Eberron?

Kol Korran
2014-09-02, 02:36 PM
Hey all. I am thinking of running a Fate core campaign in the D&D setting of Eberron. I was wondering if anyone knows of any extras used specifically for the setting or a high magic fantasy in general.

I am especially interested in extras dealing with races, magic in it's varied forms, dragon marks and the various equipment in fantasy. (From weapons, armor, horses, magic items and up to flying ships and lightning rails).

Thanks in advance,
Kol.

Yora
2014-09-02, 05:05 PM
You mean special powers and unique items that to some degree define a character? (Always had trouble figuring out what exactly extras are meant to be.)

Dragonmarks would of course be one. The big one. They would be both a magic power and a set of previleges.
Warrior-Priests of the Silver Flame would have to have something unique, though I am not actually familiar with them to say what. Don't they have special Turn Lycanthropes powers?
Would Shifter shifting and Changeling changing count as extras? Or would those be regular abilities?
Halfing and Elf riders would have their mounts, which would be quite integral to the characters identity.

Eisenheim
2014-09-02, 05:46 PM
I have made a few attempts at running D&D style settings in fate. One idea that has worked well for me is to give people an extra aspect slot to use for their race. I generally advocate handling as much of things like magic and dragonmarks, and anything else that might be an 'extra' with stunts and aspects customized to what you and your players want to do in the game.

I understand the urge to have a fully built magic system coming in from something like D&D, but doing so loses some the freedom that is the most wonderful feature of fate.

Zombimode
2014-09-02, 05:57 PM
I understand the urge to have a fully built magic system coming in from something like D&D, but doing so loses some the freedom that is the most wonderful feature of fate.

Yeah, now that I have actual experience with Fate, I came to see some of it's strong points. Running D&D settings with it is not one of them. Especially not Eberron, which is like D&D-incarnate.

Kol Korran
2014-09-03, 12:13 AM
I do not intend to run a Fate core game as a D&D game just with fate rules. I do not seek a fully fledged magic system, with a list of spells or such. Nor do I seek a stunt for any special power D&D suggests. I like the streamlined, simplified, narratively based platform of Fate, and I am looking for simplified systems to give a "feeling/ sense" of magic and the like, without the full on complexity of D&D.

I was wondering if anyone have made anything of the sort.