PDA

View Full Version : Detect Evil

melchizedek
2007-03-08, 06:50 PM
Would it be unbalancing to change the Paladin's ability to detect magic to a constant ability? What implications would this have?

Quellian-dyrae
2007-03-08, 06:53 PM
Hmm...if you specify that the paladin only receives information for the first round of concentration, but must concentrate normally to receive additional information, it should be fine. The paladin would thus know that evil is present nearby, but would not know who is evil, where the evil is, etc. Without that specification it's basically like giving the paladin blindsense against any evil creature without nondetection or, eh, lead.

Black Mage
2007-03-08, 06:54 PM
One bad thing that could happen....

Imagine if Miko had detect evil always on.

It's really not unbalancing at all, you're just running the risk of having a paladin spaz out each time someone who registers as evil walks by. Unless you have someone who knows how to play a decent paladin.

ishi
2007-03-08, 07:26 PM
Unbalancing? Probably not, especially since ways to conceal alignment start at fairly low levels if the DM feels secrecy is crucial to the campaign.

However, as has been mentioned, this would be hell to DM with a smite-happy paladin.

EvilElitest
2007-03-08, 07:30 PM
I think it would be. A way for non magical minions to hide is that the paladin does not know where to detect. I mean they could detect evil everytime they see somebody but they would get tiried after a while. And if a paladin is not paying attention. It would also be a pain to describe everytime. As a use ability the paladin need to say when she is using the ability making evil have a chance to hid normally.
from,
EE

Matthew
2007-03-08, 09:08 PM
I don't think it would be unbalancing. Personally, I think the Paladin should have some sort of 'Sense Evil' always 'on', with scaling degrees of usefulness.

Miles Invictus
2007-03-09, 12:44 AM
You could save a bit of headache if the always-on effect only picked up supernatural evil (e.g. clerics, blackguards, creatures with the Evil subtype). If they want to check for mundane evilness, make 'em explicitly say it.

alchemy.freak
2007-03-09, 10:27 AM
i think the ability to detect evil on constantly would not be too bad. but make sure that they can still focus if they want to. if you focus for a few rounds you actually know the location of the auras, effectively letting you see locations through walls. unless they happen to have a thin sheet of lead on them, lol

Jarelk
2007-03-09, 10:47 AM
I don't think it would be unbalancing, but as mentioned before twice, it could bring trouble into properly playing a Paladin.

Especially if you think Humans are average neutral. Walk in a human city, and bam, you already discover loads of people who are evil. Smite away! It could also bring the trouble for the DM to have to describe the evil presence every time. And a few other problems I am too lazy to mention, or that I don't have quite thought out yet.

Glittersamas
2007-03-09, 08:44 PM
Wow. A paladin would fall IMC if he started smiting people just because they register as evil.
EDIT: Sorry. That was off topic. I would use both of these if you want to do this:

Hmm...if you specify that the paladin only receives information for the first round of concentration, but must concentrate normally to receive additional information

You could save a bit of headache if the always-on effect only picked up supernatural evil (e.g. clerics, blackguards, creatures with the Evil subtype). If they want to check for mundane evilness, make 'em explicitly say it.

ASCIISkull
2007-03-11, 12:32 AM

I wouldn't like that- it would give them a terribly simple way of sorting supernatural from run of the mill evil, which is never good.

paddyfool
2007-03-11, 03:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles Invictus http://www.giantitp.com/forums/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2163293#post2163293)

I wouldn't like that- it would give them a terribly simple way of sorting supernatural from run of the mill evil, which is never good.

But there already is a difference, because evil clerics, blackguards and several evil outsiders do have a big aura of evil, just as good clerics and paladins have an aura of good, and I would think it perfectly reasonable for such a thing to register automatically to a paladin in close proximity.

Glittersamas
2007-03-11, 12:08 PM
Personally, I prefer a bonus to sense motive (equal to class level) with no detect evil. At all. For anybody. Ever. :smallwink: