PDA

View Full Version : ways to boost Knowledge:Devotion

bjoern
2014-09-02, 04:26 PM
Already have collector of stories (competence), and educated.What are the other good ways to help out KD to make the 35 skill check consistently?

Mostly looking for items, feats, etc. Race and class are already stuck.

Thanks

Xerlith
2014-09-02, 04:31 PM
Masterwork custom item of Knowledge (X) +20. You don't need anything else.

What class/level are you?

Rebel7284
2014-09-02, 04:50 PM
Item Familiar.

SciChronic
2014-09-02, 05:01 PM
Scrolls of Uncertain Provenance (MIC) is gives +5 to all knowledge checks

Zaq
2014-09-02, 05:16 PM
A one-level dip in Dragonfire Adept will give you the Draconic Knowledge invocation, which gives you a +6 typeless bonus on all Knowledge checks (and Spellcraft checks, while you're at it). If you're looking for a second shot of that sort of thing, a dip in Warlock gets you the inferior-but-still-useful Otherworldly Whispers, which is a +6 typeless bonus to K:Arcana, K:Religion, and K:Planes.

If you're willing to invest in Truespeak, Universal Aptitude gives you a +5 typeless bonus on all skill checks, and Hidden Truth gives you a +10 typeless bonus on a single Knowledge check. However, these are probably less attractive options than a dip in DFA, because they require actions in combat (not to mention investment in Truespeak).

The Crystal Mask of Knowledge (MIC) gives a +5 competence bonus to a single (specific) Knowledge check. Also from the MIC, the Lore Gem gives you a +2 competence bonus on all Knowledge checks (though it takes a full-round action). The Tome of Worldly Memory (again from the MIC) gives a +5 competence to a single Knowledge check, and it works 3 times per day (though you have to spend actions on it). The Tome of Ancient Lore gives a +5 competence bonus on K:Arcana, but it doesn't take an action in combat (rather, it takes an hour at the start of the day).

You can get a pretty nice bonus from your race if you're a killoren, an illumian, or a gnome. A killoren manifesting the Aspect of the Ancient gets to add their level as a racial bonus to K:Nature checks. An illumian with the Naen sigil gets a +2 typeless bonus to all INT-based checks, and Knowledge is no exception. A gnome doesn't get a specific numerical bonus, but the feat Trivial Knowledge lets you roll twice and take the better result on all your Knowledge checks.

A dip in Marshal gets you your CHA as a circumstance bonus to all your INT-based skill checks.

The feat Master of Knowledge (Heroes of Horror) gives you a +1 typeless bonus on all Knowledge checks. (If you're willing to spend a feat on a +1, you're better off being an illumian and taking Enhanced Power Sigils, which will give you an effective +1 to ALL INT-based checks, as well as to all checks governed by your other sigil).

If you have a familiar, remember that your familiar shares your skill ranks, so they can almost certainly Aid Another for a nice +2, assuming that you've got at least a handful of ranks in the Knowledge in question.

A dip in Ardent can get you access to the Knowledge mantle, the granted power of which is the ability to expend your psionic focus (no action listed) to get a +5 typeless bonus on a single Knowledge check.

Curmudgeon
2014-09-02, 05:29 PM
Masterwork custom item of Knowledge (X) +20.
That's two different things.
Tool, Masterwork

This well-made item is the perfect tool for the job. It grants a +2 circumstance bonus on a related skill check (if any). Bonuses provided by multiple masterwork items used toward the same skill check do not stack.
From the Magic Item Gold Piece Values table (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/creatingMagicItems.htm#magicItemGoldPieceValues):
Skill bonus (competence)
You can get a masterwork tool and it'll provide a circumstance bonus, but not more than +2. You can get a custom magic item made and it'll provide a competence bonus instead.
You don't need anything else. You don't get the maximum Knowledge Devotion benefit unless your check is at least +36, so any +20 bonus is clearly not enough. If you get into combat before you can see all the creatures you're facing, you don't get to "take 10".

RolandDeschain
2014-09-02, 05:47 PM
Item Familiar.

this

seriously, read it, then have your DM read it, then discuss it, then come to some kind of agreement

QuickLyRaiNbow
2014-09-02, 05:48 PM
Ask your DM if you can have the Absent-Minded trait? If you're a Gnome, Trivial Knowledge lets you roll twice. If you can get into Exemplar, you'll be able to take 10. Another one to ask your DM about is membership in the Paragnostic Assembly from Complete Champion.

Zanos
2014-09-02, 05:50 PM
From the Magic Item Gold Piece Values table (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/creatingMagicItems.htm#magicItemGoldPieceValues):
You can get a masterwork tool and it'll provide a circumstance bonus, but not more than +2. You can get a custom magic item made and it'll provide a competence bonus instead. You don't get the maximum Knowledge Devotion benefit unless your check is at least +36, so any +20 bonus is clearly not enough. If you get into combat before you can see all the creatures you're facing, you don't get to "take 10".
+35, actually. You'll always roll at least a 1.

Xerlith
2014-09-02, 05:58 PM
You can get a masterwork tool and it'll provide a circumstance bonus, but not more than +2. You can get a custom magic item made and it'll provide a competence bonus instead.

Ah, that's what I get for posting this late. Need more sleep...

You don't get the maximum Knowledge Devotion benefit unless your check is at least +36, so any +20 bonus is clearly not enough. If you get into combat before you can see all the creatures you're facing, you don't get to "take 10".

Assuming 5th level, Collector of Stories gives +5. Skill ranks give +8. That's 13 already. It's probably an Int-based character, so a +2 is a minimum. We have a +15. With the +20 competence item we hit 36 at the roll of 1.
Adding the Education feat means a 3rd level character with maxed ranks in the relevant Knowledge can hit the 36 threshold at a roll of 1.

EDIT: Nevermind the Collector of stories, doesn't stack with the competence item. Still, at 5th level the character hits 36 when rolling 3 or more. That's good enough I think.

bjoern
2014-09-02, 06:23 PM
Thanks for the replies.

A custom item grants a competence bonus which I already have with Collector of stories. Also, a custom item would only apply to one knowledge skill so I would need a +20 item for each knowledge.

Class is Lorechaser level 7
http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Lorechaser_(3.5e_Class)

Yes, I know its junk. I've posted a few times trying to help this guy out. He's dead set o. The RP and fluff of the class but he wants to contribute in combat also (asking for a lot isn't he?)

Item familiar is good and I've advocated for it before. Unfortunately, item familiar helps out knowledge skills the least of any skill since there are multiple skills to put the bonus into.

Scrolls of uncertain provenance look way out of price range

Crystal mask, lore gem, tomes of worldly memory and ancient lore. Competence bonuses all, already have collector of stories.

Dragonfire adept dip is possible . If he's willing to dip (doubtful)

A dip into Marshall is a good option and I've pitched it to him before since his class runs on charisma its a good fit. Is it a circumstance bonus or untyped? Where I've looked it doesn't give a type.

OK so here's what I've got so far:

Ranks: 10
Collector of stories: 5
Intelligence mod :+2

That's 17. Need 17 more (counting minimum 1 for die roll)

Other options

A dip in Marshall gives him +3

Book of all knowledge gives +10 insight but its kind of clunky and only 1/day

Item familiar is still viable since hell get 10 points per level. That's three +1s per level that will have to be distributed among 7 knowledge skills.

Thanks again for the input.

Xerlith
2014-09-02, 06:25 PM
This guy needs a dip into Sandshaper. Scratch this, he doesn't gain bonus spells.
uhh... This class is on the Truenamer's level almost.

QuickLyRaiNbow
2014-09-02, 06:29 PM
Regular masterwork item is +2 circumstance, so it stacks with all your other bonuses. And a high ranking in the Paragnostic Assembly has a lot of benefits here.

bjoern
2014-09-02, 06:35 PM
Yeah this class is pretty bad .

I don't think circumstance bonuses stack do they? Edit--just noticed that I left out tools on my list.

Also, you'd have to get 7 different masterwork tools to cover all the different knowledge skills. Only 350gp but still.....

Dusk Eclipse
2014-09-02, 06:36 PM
I think Circumstances bonus stack as long as they don't come from the same source.

bjoern
2014-09-02, 06:38 PM
I think Circumstances bonus stack as long as they don't come from the same source.

Now that you say that , I do recall reading that. You just can't have a bunch of MW tools.

bjoern
2014-09-02, 06:50 PM
Ah, that's what I get for posting this late. Need more sleep...

Assuming 5th level, Collector of Stories gives +5. Skill ranks give +8. That's 13 already. It's probably an Int-based character, so a +2 is a minimum. We have a +15. With the +20 competence item we hit 36 at the roll of 1.
Adding the Education feat means a 3rd level character with maxed ranks in the relevant Knowledge can hit the 36 threshold at a roll of 1.

EDIT: Nevermind the Collector of stories, doesn't stack with the competence item. Still, at 5th level the character hits 36 when rolling 3 or more. That's good enough I think.

A +20 competence item costs 40k. And that's just for one knowledge skill. You need 7 of those to cover all the knowledges for monsters. That's 280k way beyond WBL for level 5.

Thurbane
2014-09-03, 06:59 AM
Does your build allow for casting the Guidance of the Avatar (https://www.wizards.com/dnd/article.asp?x=dnd/sb/sb20010504a) spell? +20 competence bonus to any one skill check made within the next minute after casting.

Divine Insight (Spell compendium, p. 70) gives 5 + CL (max +15) insight bonus to any one skill check made within 1 hr/level of casting.

bjoern
2014-09-03, 08:15 AM
Does your build allow for casting the Guidance of the Avatar (https://www.wizards.com/dnd/article.asp?x=dnd/sb/sb20010504a) spell? +20 competence bonus to any one skill check made within the next minute after casting.

Divine Insight (Spell compendium, p. 70) gives 5 + CL (max +15) insight bonus to any one skill check made within 1 hr/level of casting.

Right now no. If there is an easy way to gain 1 cleric spell or something it would work though. I'd probably use divine insight because of the long duration. Guidance would have to be cast in combat.

A wand of divine insight costs 4500 and is only CL 3. somehow learning it would be better.

Curmudgeon
2014-09-03, 10:50 AM
The timing doesn't work at all well for that one. You make your Knowledge check when the DM tells you to, generally immediately upon seeing some creature. Knowledge checks take no action, so they mostly happen when it's not your turn. Casting Guidance of the Avatar is only good for those circumstances where you don't see any new creatures now but will within the next minute.

Ivanhoe
2014-09-03, 11:09 AM
The bard spell improvisation (SpC), a first level spell, provides luck bonuses to skill checks. You could get it in an eternal wand or regular wand.
(luck bonuses are also quite rare, so they stack well with your already existing bonuses).

2014-09-03, 11:40 AM
Masterwork tools give a +2 circumstance bonus.

Magic items give up to a +30 competence bonus.

Collector of Stories gives +5 competence bonus, meaning it won't stack with any magic items giving the same.

Education gives a +2 untyped bonus to two Knowledge skills of your choice.

Beyond any feat or item you could have...Aid Another. A few years ago, I played a RL massive war game where each of 3 guys have 500 Human Fighter 1 with 32 pb and 2 flaws: I made my group an army of longbow wielders whose feats were Point Blank Shot, Far Shot Rapid Shot, Precise Shot, and Knowledge Devotion; each had 1 rank of Knowledge (Local) and the aid of all of their buddies. Total offensive bonuses per soldier were +8/+8 and 1d8+5 (x3). The enemy soldiers died like flies.

Curmudgeon
2014-09-03, 12:13 PM
Education gives a +2 untyped bonus to two Knowledge skills of your choice.
Not the [General] Education feat (Eberron Campaign Setting, page 52). The one you're referring to (Player's Guide to Faerūn, page 38) is [Regional] and further restricted to just 4 races.

bjoern
2014-09-03, 12:17 PM
Not the [General] Education feat (Eberron Campaign Setting, page 52). The one you're referring to (Player's Guide to Faerūn, page 38) is [Regional] and further restricted to just 4 races.

Race is human and already have the feat.

A custom magic item of +x is kind of out of the price range since its only good for one knowledge skill. To get a +10 to each skill would cost 70,000gp.
I think collector of stories is the most practical for a competence bonus.

Maybe some way to painlessly boost charisma to make a Marshall dip more relevant. Plus a charisma boost would synergize with the base class schtick.

Curmudgeon
2014-09-03, 02:43 PM
A custom magic item of +x is kind of out of the price range since its only good for one knowledge skill. To get a +10 to each skill would cost 70,000gp.
That should be 60,000 gp. There are only six Knowledge skills related to D&D creature types.

bjoern
2014-09-03, 02:53 PM
That should be 60,000 gp. There are only six Knowledge skills related to D&D creature types.

From SRD

Arcana (ancient mysteries, magic traditions, arcane symbols, cryptic phrases, constructs, dragons, magical beasts)

Architecture and engineering (buildings, aqueducts, bridges, fortifications)

Dungeoneering (aberrations, caverns, oozes, spelunking)

Geography (lands, terrain, climate, people)
History (royalty, wars, colonies, migrations, founding of cities)

Local (legends, personalities, inhabitants, laws, customs, traditions, humanoids)

Nature (animals, fey, giants, monstrous humanoids, plants, seasons and cycles, weather, vermin)

Nobility and royalty (lineages, heraldry, family trees, mottoes, personalities)

Psionics (ancient mysteries, psionic traditions, psychic symbols, cryptic phrases, astral constructs, psionic races, and psionic monsters)

Religion (gods and goddesses, mythic history, ecclesiastic tradition, holy symbols, undead)

The planes (the Inner Planes, the Outer Planes, the Astral Plane, the Ethereal Plane, outsiders, elementals, magic related to the planes)

Seven

Dusk Eclipse
2014-09-03, 03:03 PM
Considering Psionics is a subtype, you should be able to recognize the monster/race with it's normal type, so you should be able to use Dungeoneering to recognize an Elan, Arcana for a Brain Mole, Psion Killer , Religion for a Caller in Darkness, The planes for a Crysmal, local for a Xeph, nature for a Dromite, etc.

bjoern
2014-09-03, 03:05 PM
Considering Psionics is a subtype, you should be able to recognize the monster/race with it's normal type, so you should be able to use Dungeoneering to recognize an Elan, Arcana for a Brain Mole, Psion Killer , Religion for a Caller in Darkness, The planes for a Crysmal, local for a Xeph, nature for a Dromite, etc.

Ah, good call. 6 it is then.