PDA

View Full Version : Dex Based Cleric help

keeper2161
2014-09-02, 07:40 PM
So a friend has asked me to post this (he doesn't have internet right now). He wants to basically have a ranger with the spell list of the cleric. Also specialized in conjuration. He was thinking of taking of a 2 level dip into ranger for the free rapid shot. He was thinking Catfolk, elf, or half-elf. I don't know much about divine classes (I'm arcane guy myself) so I ask the playground for it's advice. Thank you to any one who posts.

heavyfuel
2014-09-02, 07:47 PM
Cleric with the Animal Domain and go for a 2 lv dip into Prestige Ranger (easier done with 2 Fighter levels). This gives his Cleric full access to the Ranger spell list, and if he progresses further into the PrC, which isn't recommended since it's only 7/15 casting, he'll pretty much be a Ranger with access to cleric spells.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2014-09-02, 07:50 PM
You can't switch your spellcasting to Dex, but you can switch almost everything Dex-related to Wisdom. Zen Archery makes ranged attacks Wis-based, a Monk's Belt adds your Wis bonus to your AC, etc.

Dipping Ranger is a terrible idea. Just get the Elf domain to get Point-Blank Shot for free, and spend a feat on Rapid Shot. Use an elf race for proficiency in bows, or get the War domain for proficiency plus Weapon Focus.

Obligatory Archery Handbook (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=642.0) link. It's incomplete, but for a Cleric Archer there's only a few things to remember: Divine Metamagic: Persistent Spell plus items to increase daily turn/rebuke uses is what makes you good at archery. Never lose any levels of spellcasting. Nope, not even for that; it's not worth it. No class feature is worth delaying your next level of spells, because your buffs are better than any class features.

Darrin
2014-09-02, 07:51 PM
Sounds like a job for Prestige Ranger (http://dndsrd.net/unearthedPrestige.html). Fighter 1/Cleric 4/Prestige Ranger 15. Make sure you take the animal domain.

keeper2161
2014-09-02, 08:07 PM
I just talked with him on the phone and he loves the idea of Zen Archery. We always considered Zen Archery to be kind of useless so he is pretty excited to use it. Once he gets his internet back I will tell him to check out Prestige Ranger.

Zaq
2014-09-02, 11:15 PM
You can't switch your spellcasting to Dex, but you can switch almost everything Dex-related to Wisdom. Zen Archery makes ranged attacks Wis-based, a Monk's Belt adds your Wis bonus to your AC, etc.

Uurkrau illumians would beg to differ. Sure, you're still using WIS for DCs, but you're a Cleric. Most of your best spells are buffs that don't give a damn about save DCs.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2014-09-02, 11:52 PM
Uurkrau illumians would beg to differ. Sure, you're still using WIS for DCs, but you're a Cleric. Most of your best spells are buffs that don't give a damn about save DCs.

Minimum Wis score of 10 + spell level still, and an Illumian can't get Otherworldly to Greater Anyspell: Persistent Draconic Polymorph into an Arrow Demon.

Venger
2014-09-15, 10:24 PM
Minimum Wis score of 10 + spell level still, and an Illumian can't get Otherworldly to Greater Anyspell: Persistent Draconic Polymorph into an Arrow Demon.

He could just revere a deity that grants the spell domain and cast it through his domain slot

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2014-09-15, 10:44 PM
He could just revere a deity that grants the spell domain and cast it through his domain slot

Anyone can get the Spell domain to use Greater Anyspell to cast Draconic Polymorph, but only character with the Outsider creature type can use it to take the form of an Arrow Demon. An Elf can get the feat Otherworldly in PGtF to get the Outsider creature type, but an Illumian cannot.

Venger
2014-09-16, 02:15 AM
Anyone can get the Spell domain to use Greater Anyspell to cast Draconic Polymorph, but only character with the Outsider creature type can use it to take the form of an Arrow Demon. An Elf can get the feat Otherworldly in PGtF to get the Outsider creature type, but an Illumian cannot.

oh, I see. thanks for explaining. blanked for a minute.

bekeleven
2014-09-16, 03:34 AM
Cleric with the Animal Domain and go for a 2 lv dip into Prestige Ranger (easier done with 2 Fighter levels). This gives his Cleric full access to the Ranger spell list, and if he progresses further into the PrC, which isn't recommended since it's only 7/15 casting, he'll pretty much be a Ranger with access to cleric spells.

Sounds like a job for Prestige Ranger (http://dndsrd.net/unearthedPrestige.html). Fighter 1/Cleric 4/Prestige Ranger 15. Make sure you take the animal domain.

I like the second one better. Feels more rangery and less "I'm a tier 1, so I'm allowed to play dress-up."