PDA

View Full Version : Star Trek - Shattered Stars

Grimtina
2014-09-02, 08:16 PM
Captain's Log, Stardate 66963.5

U.S.S. Sakarya has arrived without incident at Keroda Station, Arinas Delta star system for diplomatic mission. The Genara are celebrating the three-hundredth anniversary of the formation of their alliance, with a massive celebration and trade conference on Arinas Delta IV.

In addition to Special Assistant Kinsey, there are to be representatives from the Ferengi, the Cardassian Union, and more than a dozen Federation and non-Federation worlds, as well as trade and technical representatives from all over the Alpha Quadrant.

Mr. Kinsey is Special Assistant to the Federation Undersecretary for Humanitarian Relief, and reports directly to Federation Undersecretary Tollis. Kinsey is specifically responsible for coordinating Federation relief efforts in the Otorin Sector, and has had dealings with Retributor and Ticonderoga
Because of the sheer number of vessels on hand, Sakarya has been “anchored” in the Keroda Roadstead, well within transporter range- but our hosts have mandated that all travel to and from the surface be conducted by shuttlecraft or orbital lighter.

Sakarya is exciting a lot of attention from the locals, as she's larger and more advanced than anything they've yet built, and we've had to gently turn away several of the more....enthusiastic...admirers wanting to come aboard.

Mister Kinsey and his party are been eager to disembark, and quite frankly- have been demanding company. After three weeks underway, the crew is also eager for a change of scenery and a little R&R. The general mood at Keroda Station seems to be one of general celebration and a Carnivál atmosphere.

My senior officers and I are now departing for the diplomatic dinner and have been invited to enjoy shore leave at the Station once that is completed.”

Everyone is wearing dress uniforms, feeling more or less comfortable in them. The shuttle bay doors open, and the delegation is on its way down to the planet. Space is quite busy all around, with shuttles and larger transports coming and going to a variety of ships. It's not hard to navigate as long as the given dorections are followed, but some Ferengi shuttle seems not to have done so and has collided with a native vessel. They are just beginning to tractor it back to their ship.

Keroda Colony is a sprawling sea-front colony heavily reminiscent of Venice and the Mediterranean on Earth. Narrow canals and waterways are almost as common as stone roads, bridges, and walk-ways, and the architecture has a distinctly neo-classical flavor to it: a mix of Venice and Istanbul, exotic, yet somehow familiar.

Viewed from the air, the harbor front and most waterways are jammed with boats, skiffs, water-taxi's, and small pleasure craft- while the bridges and walkways are crowded with people. Fireworks punctuate the beauty of the
night sky and light up various parts of the city.

The shuttle is directed to a small landing pad- actually, a large barge- anchored in the harbor. Leaving the
shuttle, its motion is slight, but still noticeable. Waiting at the far end of the barge is a sharply dressed young man appearing to be slightly bored.

firebrandtoluc
2014-09-02, 09:42 PM
On the way down Ashley repeatedly gazes out the viewport, appears lost in thought for a moment, and then looks back at a small notepad. After several such unsuccessful attempts to concentrate on the notes he speaks up. So, what sort of local food do the Genarans prepare for this type of event?

whoiam
2014-09-03, 02:47 PM
T'Loran, as would be expected of a Vulcan, was the picture of serenity on the way down. Admittedly, the picture was rather deceptive in this case - behind her carefully cultivated stoic image, the thought kept on repeating:

Oh, Surak, it's going to be humid, isn't it? All these years in Starfleet and they repay me by sending me to a water planet...

Of course, she was exaggerating a little. But then, to a native of a desert world, even the average federation starship was a little too humid for true comfort... let alone somewhere with actual canals in it!

It was Ashley's interruption that finally broke her out of the cycle of worry. "I do not know, " she admitted, before slipping a hand inside her dress uniform. Honestly, she doubted that she had been the intended recipient of the query. Statistically, it was most likely to have been directed at Special Assistant Kinsey. However she did not notice Ashley directing the query to him, specifically, so she judged it to be... what was the phrase again? 'Fair Game'?

When her hand emerged again, it bore a standard issue PADD. This one had been pre-loaded with every diplomatic briefing on the Genara that she could find the evening before. She'd only read the first couple before running across a mention of the canal system - at that point, her 'enthusiasm', such as it had been, had vanished. Still, the information was likely on the PADD somewhere, and searching for Genaran Culinary Information would be a welcome distraction...

One of these days I will have to find a way to conceal my Tricorder and Phaser under my dress uniform. Diplomatic occasions or no, it feels wrong to leave those behind...

Grimtina
2014-09-09, 01:53 AM
"I do not know," Kinsey replies just then, but he definitely sounds cheerful about it. "A whole new experience, as everytime visiting a new world, isn't it?" His expression says "it's why I got into Starfleet."

whoiam
2014-09-09, 12:39 PM
There was no overt emotion in the glance T'Loran directed at Kinsey, but she held it just a fraction too long for comfort before finally speaking. In terms of Vulcan body language, it was one method of suggesting another Vulcan had insufficiently considered what they were saying. Or, in any other species' cultural terms, it was her way of calling Kinsey a bit of an idiot.

Without risking a disciplinary hearing, anyway.

"I fail to see how being aware which of the foods on offer could react badly with my physiology - despite being entirely appropriate for, say, humans - would reduce the value of the 'experience' we are about to encounter. Unless trips to Sickbay are considered a pleasurable thing by your people?"

She should have checked this information last night. She *knew* she should have checked this information last night. But she got distracted by the canals, and now she was facing having to play another round of 'hide your appetite' until she could get back to the ship. Surak taught the suppression of emotion for some very good reasons, after all. Her emotions were on the verge of making her very hungry... not the greatest ill a Vulcan had ever suffered for letting their control slip, but still a decent reminder that she needed to be more vigilant about such things.

firebrandtoluc
2014-09-09, 06:02 PM
Sickbay is quite interesting to visit, but only professionally. I am just hoping none of the food sings this time. I swore a solemn oath never to eat singing food again. Ashley holds his hand up and gazes into the distance, whispering Never again.

He slides his notepad into a compartment. Looking out the viewport, I'm glad I'm not in charge of security here. This sort of event must give them nightmares. He frowns slightly as he settles into his chair.

Grimtina
2014-09-09, 06:58 PM
"Well," Kinsey replies with even more eagerness in his voice, "I did, of course, check the general compatibility of the food, just not the details, you see. But from what I heard, they are pretty big on vegetables and fruits." Then his head turns to Ashley. "Singing food? Now that would be an experience I could do without, unless it is in a Klingon opera."

Once the shuttle has landed and everyone is out among a bunch of other vessels coming and going, Kinsey is polite enough to wait until the captain has left the shuttle, despite his bounciness about the assignment. Waiting at the far end of the barge is a sharply dressed young man, wearing the newest style of Federation business class suit, complate with the long wide sleeves covering almost the whole hand. "That's Mr. Evan," Kinsey sighs. "He's been the one I've been communicating with. A bit of a dull fellow, but quite effective."

If Mr. Evan has heard the last remark, he gives no sign. "Consul Grav has already gone on ahead to the reception, and I have been assigned to get you pointed in the right direction and answer any questions you might have. Captain, Mr. Kinsey... this wy please." He quickly hustles you into a small skiff for the ride to shore.

"Also an impatient fellow," Kinsey whispers. The man just can't seem to stop smiling.

Even at a half-mile from shore, the noise of the crowds and blaring music is impressive. As you get close enough to make out details, they discern that the locals are dressed in a bewildering variety of clothing ranging from normal civilian dress to velvet and silk gowns and elaborate cloth-and-papier-màché costumes and masks.

firebrandtoluc
2014-09-10, 03:38 AM
Ashley inhales deeply and lets out a prolonged sigh. Ah, fresh air. Can't get that smell aboard a starship. Filters take out all the best parts. He takes a seat near the edge and looks into the water. Any interesting tales regarding sea monsters on this world, Mr. Evan?

Grimtina
2014-09-12, 04:24 PM
Evan looks confused for a slight moment. "Ah, yes, of course. There is a tale very like the one on Veridelma II about swarms of tiny, but evil beings pretending to be fish and sneaking up on the unbweary swimming unbidden in their waters. Also something about a flying whale of sorts, but I don't remember the details, the teller of the tale had a slight issue with an intoxicating substance. Generally, the native popolation doesn't tend to endulge in fairy tales, though."