PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Treats and Bonuses for players who keep a campaign journal in character?

Rainman3769
2014-09-02, 09:26 PM
Hello all!

So I've been encouraging my players to keep a journal of sorts for our 5th edition campaign. Basically one player will volunteer to write down what happened that session in the journal, but from the POV of their in game character, so it will be more like a communal diary I guess you could say. Wither they hand write it or type it, this is basically RPG "homework" and I want to reward my players that get on board with this. It could be the same person over and over, or maybe they will all take turns, nothing has been set in stone yet.

My question is what do you all think would be a fair little treat or reward I could grant the player or their character for performing this service? I want to stay away from XP bonuses though, I feel like that could potentially just lead to bad things. Thanks in advance for any input!

DigoDragon
2014-09-02, 09:37 PM
When my players used to do that, I'd rule that any info they put in the journal means they don't need an INT check to recall. That very much encouraged them to write down important NPCs, puzzles they're trying to solve, historical notes they find on places they've been too, etc.

Red Fel
2014-09-02, 09:52 PM
When my players used to do that, I'd rule that any info they put in the journal means they don't need an INT check to recall. That very much encouraged them to write down important NPCs, puzzles they're trying to solve, historical notes they find on places they've been too, etc.

This is an awesome bonus.

Another, less obvious bonus, is the fact that the more the players write, the more you (the DM) know about their characters. And the more you know about their characters, the more you can tie them into the plot. One of the most rewarding experiences in a tabletop game is when you don't just feel like your character is part of the adventure, but when you feel like he's the star.

If I know your character is a mighty and honorable swordsman, I'll give him ample chances to shine in combat. If I know he still looks at the moonlight at night and remembers the woman he loved and their song, I might have him walk into a tavern and hear it playing, or hear her laugh on the wind on a dark and moonless night. If I know your character is a gentle but strong paladin, I'll give her a chance to protect the weak and punish the wicked. But if I know she still writes letters home to her family on the farm, even if they never get delivered, I know how to motivate her to action.

Feeling like your character's background has become part of the tapestry of history is a rush, and it's a just reward for providing that background in an engaging way.

TeChameleon
2014-09-03, 12:48 AM
Another simple way to do it (depending, of course) is to have their diary published in-universe and have them gain fame and riches from it, or maybe even a noble title (or mockery and rotten vegetables, depending on how they go about things :smalltongue:). It doesn't even have to be big, maybe just preferential seating at a fancy restaurant in the capital, or a discount at a merchant or two in exchange for an autograph.

Granted, you could have all kinds of fun with this- fame is a double-edged sword, after all. And young guns looking for a rep would be par for the course as well.

Oh, and if you go this route and any of the characters have a divine source for their powers, then things could get very interesting; if the book is popular enough, imagine a sudden mass conversion to whatever deity the PC follows.

... hah. Can you imagine a bestseller inadvertently triggering a godwar?