PDA

View Full Version : A Flash of Nostalgia [Spells]

Triaxx
2007-03-08, 07:41 PM
I was nostalgic for the Lightning of the 2E games, so I wrote these. Enjoy.

Lightning Javelin
Evocation [Electric]
Level: Sorc/Wiz 4
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: 30ft/per two caster levels, max 120ft.
Target: One Creature
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: Yes

Pulling back his arm, a bolt of lightning forms in the wizards hand. With a throwing motion, the bolt is launched towards it's target. The bolt deals 6d6 damage.

Upon reaching a solid target inside it's range, the bolt's direction of motion is changed by rolling a d4.
1=reflected at caster, 2=reflected along it's previous path, 3=reflected away at equal angle, 4=reflected at caster.

The bolt reflects a number of times equal to one half the caster level. The bolt's range is refreshed each time it reflects.

Rule Variance: At the DM's discretion, if the bolt is considered to hit the corner of an object, it may shatter, producing two seperate bolts along any applicable trajectory. Shattered bolts are half as powerful as the original bolt.

Ball Lightning Javelin
Evocation [Electric]
Level: Sorc/Wiz 6
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 full action
Range: 120ft
Target: Special
Duration: Special
Saving Throw: Reflex
Spell Resistance: Yes

The wizard draws back his hand, and a ball of lightning appears, which is then thrown forwards into it's intended target. The target can make a [DC10+spell level] reflex save to dodge the ball. If successful, the ball lands one square beyond the target.

The wizard may attempt to move the ball of lightning again whether or not it successfully hits, on his next round, using a standard action. The ball may move a number of times equal to one quarter the wizards level, existing for one round from casting for each. Failing to move the ball of lightning does not extend it's life, but merely wastes the opportunity.

The ball does 1d8 damage per three caster levels, max 5d8.

Earthstar_Fungus
2007-03-08, 07:51 PM
Mmm... those spells don't seem especially powerful, and they cap at abysmally low damage. I can understand them for flavor reasons though, and it's not like direct damage wins D&D. :smalltongue:

I_Got_This_Name
2007-03-08, 08:12 PM
Lightning Javelin doesn't need to scale, since its minimum CL is 7th. If it scales up to 5 dice at CL 5, but you have to be CL 7, it should just say five dice.

Also, it should note that damage is applied twice if it hits someone twice, and a rule for deciding whether it bounces back the way it came, toward the caster (not always the same), or at an equal angle, should be included, whether it's a die roll or caster's choice.

Triaxx
2007-03-09, 07:50 PM
Earthstar: True, but if it bounces against a wall past the character, and hits two or three times, the damage adds up.

IGTN: I guess I wasn't paying attention. I'll fix those both. I'll also up the damage to 6d6, to make it easier on the DM's if they decide to shatter a bolt.