PDA

View Full Version : WoW Taunt ability

Max Caysey
2014-09-03, 09:34 AM
Hi guys... I was wondering if there was an ability in the game, which resempled the abillity. ?

Hyena
2014-09-03, 09:40 AM
Well, yes. Kenders have taunt as their racial ability - and no, I'm not joking about how annoying they are. They actually have taunt as their racial ability, because even authors partially recognize that they are thieving annoying little ****s.

snailgosh
2014-09-03, 09:44 AM
Aside from that, the Crusader and Devoted Defender classes have abilities that can make attacking different targets unappealing.

ben-zayb
2014-09-03, 09:46 AM
Knight's Challenge

Psyren
2014-09-03, 09:50 AM
Antagonize feat (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/antagonize) lets anyone do it. It's looked down upon for being mind-affecting and a standard action with a fairly high DC, but it's there.

Deadline
2014-09-03, 09:51 AM
There's the Goad feat from Complete Adventurer as well.

ngilop
2014-09-03, 09:54 AM
I have Taunt: As a standard action a Fighter can force all within 30 feet to focus their attacks, abilities, and spells on him. An Will save at DC 10 + 1/2 Fighter Levels + Charisma Modifier overcomes. Mindless creatures are immune to this discipline. For every 7th rank of intimidate the Fighter has the DC is increased by 1. Those successfully taunted do their best to rush and engage the fighter in combat to the best of their abilities. Melee will close in regardless of what dangers they put themselves in and ranged will focus the Fighter regardless of their other circumstances. Spellcasters must have the Fighter as a viable target for a spell if not they close in for melee.

ability for my own fighter fix

JusticeZero
2014-09-03, 12:42 PM
Is the taunt in wow different from the taunt in almost every multi-player game ever made? I think even MUDs have taunt.

Psyren
2014-09-03, 01:00 PM
Well the difficulty is that tabletop games have no AI and thus no concept of aggro. The DM is encouraged to play the monsters a certain way but ultimately, who they go after and why is up to them.

There's also the thorny issue of monster intelligence. In WoW, even the smartest opponents can be tricked into focusing on the one guy who can weather their assault long enough for healing magic to work. This is easy to explain when dealing with a simple-minded foe like Patchwerk, or even possibly an insane one like Deathwing, but not so much when you're facing off against otherwise cunning schemers like Arthas or Kel'thuzad. Facing such opponents in D&D would, for immersion's sake, mandate more sophisticated tactics.

Divide by Zero
2014-09-04, 12:35 AM
Note that even in 4E, despite the MMO-like criticisms, marking is only a taunt in the sense that it discourages enemies from not attacking you. For the most part, your only options are mind-affecting abilities, penalties for not attacking you, or directly blocking their path to the squishies. Or by being a relevant offensive threat yourself, which honestly makes more sense for the term "tank" anyway.

Vaynor
2014-09-04, 12:38 AM
I made a PrC called the Protector (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?136489-PrC-XVI-Live-and-Die-by-the-Sword&p=7640476&posted=1#post7640476) which has a mind-affecting taunt ability, along with a few other handy protection abilities.