PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other The Vow of the Nights Watch

Teapot Salty
2014-09-03, 12:23 PM
Hey guys. So, for anyone who reads/watches Game of Thrones (or I suppose A Song Of Ice and Fire) I have come up with a "oath" feet for the nights watch, based on their vow:

Vow of Protection (For lack of a better word)
Benefit: You gain +1d6 sneak attack damage, A competence bonus to spot checks and initiative checks equal to your level, you and all abjecant allies heal 1 hp/every third level you posses whenever you strike anyone you deem an enemy, you and all allies within 30ft stabilize on a d10 roll of 6 or greater, you and all allies within 30 ft may roll a d20 when flat footed or surprised to end the effect on a roll of 15 or greater, and all allies abjecant to you reduce the damage they take from any source they take by 1d6/three levels you posses.

However, those with this feat must follow a strict code of conduct, lest they lose the benefit of this feat permanently and irrevocably. However if two of the codes conflict with one another, those with the feat may break whichever oath(s) they consider are lesser.

Anyone who has the oath of protection may never willingly be in a romantic relationship.
Anyone who has the oath of protection may never presume to own anything other than what is immediately on their person.I.E weapons, clothes etc.
Anyone who has the oath of protection may never show cowardice, and may not flee a fight.
Anyone who has the oath of protection may never presume to have power or authority over anyone who does not have the vow of protection.
Anyone who has the oath of protection may never endevour to raise themselves above others, or consider themselves above others.

What do you guys think? It is not set in stone. I am aware that most of the drawbacks are roleplaying based instead of actual mechanics, so I would advice against using this feat in a no roleplay hack n' slash game.
Thanks, and as always, go nuts.

1.0 Original Version
1.1 Added Changelog
2.0 Nerfed healing to whenever you hit, and 1/three levels, changed "watcher on the walls" to competence bonus, nerfed "shield affect" to 1d6/three levels.

Glimbur
2014-09-03, 04:13 PM
A feat for +1d6 sneak attack would be pretty good. Adding in a "skill" bonus (that's not a normal type, try competence) for spot and initiative equal to your level is also good. Healing you and all adjacent allies one hit point per level each turn is.... better than most passive in combat healing. Consider the Dragon Shaman's vigor aura, which scales much more slowly and only heals to half. It's even better than persisted mass lesser vigor, which is pretty good for starting each fight at max hp. 50% chance to stabilize is ok. 1/4 chance to avoid flat footing is kind of nice too. And, as a kicker, half damage from all sources. That's too strong.

This doesn't make the most sense as a feat. I know there is the precedent of the Sacred Vow series, but honestly it should be a straight-up trade off with no feat required. If you took out the constant healing and the half damage from all effects then it would be an interesting decision to make. As it is, it's crazy strong and doesn't quite have all the requirements from the series: they aren't bound to a chain of command and don't actually have to protect anything.

Teapot Salty
2014-09-03, 10:53 PM
A feat for +1d6 sneak attack would be pretty good. Adding in a "skill" bonus (that's not a normal type, try competence) for spot and initiative equal to your level is also good. Healing you and all adjacent allies one hit point per level each turn is.... better than most passive in combat healing. Consider the Dragon Shaman's vigor aura, which scales much more slowly and only heals to half. It's even better than persisted mass lesser vigor, which is pretty good for starting each fight at max hp. 50% chance to stabilize is ok. 1/4 chance to avoid flat footing is kind of nice too. And, as a kicker, half damage from all sources. That's too strong.

This doesn't make the most sense as a feat. I know there is the precedent of the Sacred Vow series, but honestly it should be a straight-up trade off with no feat required. If you took out the constant healing and the half damage from all effects then it would be an interesting decision to make. As it is, it's crazy strong and doesn't quite have all the requirements from the series: they aren't bound to a chain of command and don't actually have to protect anything.

Thank you for the advice. NERFING COMMENCE!

I'm basing the feat on the words of the nights watch more than anything else. As opposed to what they actually do.

nonsi
2014-09-04, 12:02 AM
For the sake of gameflow, drop the healing part.