PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Items from Songs

Nepsta
2014-09-03, 12:57 PM
Hey guys. I'm just looking for some ideas. I plan on running a Pathfinder game at a local convention where the premade characters are all from pop culture songs.
I'm thinking the roster will be Major Tom as a cleric or paladin (with white armor of cold immunity); Rocky Raccoon as gunslinger, Tommy as a (Pinball) Wizard. Maybe Mister Crowley as an oracle. Stuff like that.
They would have items such as Gideon's Bible (from Rockey's song), or a laser pistol from the Knights of Cydonia video.

Does anyone have any ideas for other items, or even characters?

Kid Jake
2014-09-03, 01:16 PM
I basically used A Boy Named Sue in a game once. He was a tavern-hopping Barbarian/Bard on a quest for personal vengeance.

Alabenson
2014-09-03, 01:17 PM
If you're going to do this, I think you're almost obligated to include a villain named Maxwell who wields a silvered hammer of some kind.

braveheart
2014-09-03, 01:30 PM
songs from doctor horrible's sing along blog could do nicely

Kid Jake
2014-09-03, 01:49 PM
If you're going to do this, I think you're almost obligated to include a villain named Maxwell who wields a silvered hammer of some kind.

This +1. Or at least throw the hammer in somewhere as some kind of cursed minor artifact that encourages you to squish things.

Slipperychicken
2014-09-03, 10:15 PM

I think I actually built a 3.5. character for that, many years ago.

Red Fel
2014-09-03, 10:30 PM
Adventurer! The Knights in White Satin need your help! They were Counting Crows when, Ironic though seems, they were attacked by a Rock Lobster! Now, to save them, you must find the Horse With No Name. It will lead you to the Chain of Fools. There, you must Walk Like An Egyptian to appease the tyrannous Sergeant Pepper. He will give you a Warm Gun (called Happiness), which you can activate with a Rebel Yell! Hurry, adventurer!

... And I need to stop playing Kingdom of Loathing. Or start playing Kingdom of Loathing again. I forget which.

Slipperychicken
2014-09-03, 11:19 PM
The Terrible Swift Sword, which casts lightning bolts and was, according to legend, used by a deity. From the Battle Hymn of the Republic.

Someone could have logs or items made of a special material called Norwegian Wood.

daremetoidareyo
2014-09-03, 11:31 PM
Eye of the tiger: glasses or bindi that give you unarmed combat feats or pounce.

Incense of teen spirit- +15 on performance checks for 1 hour

Shakur's chain: +4 against a favored enemy type like a ranger, that enemy gets you as a favored enemy . +4 insight bonus to sense motives and oratory checks.

Bangles of bangles: +4 aberrant bonus to tumbling, as you walk like an Egyptian.

Mellincamps cougar skin cloak, +3 deflection bonus if you come from a small town.

Megadeths diadem, grants control of a seven headed beast.

Billy's fingerless gloves, once per day grants smites law based on a tenth level paladins smite evil when you activate the rebel yell

Slipperychicken
2014-09-04, 06:54 AM
A Bullet of Lies, which bestows a -10 to Sense Motive checks upon any creature whose head it strikes. This effect is permanent if the bullet is left inside the target's head.

A Guerrilla Radio, which allows 1/day one-way communication with any number of attuned creatures.

Storm_Of_Snow
2014-09-04, 07:34 AM
How obscure do you want to go? And in which musical genres? And are you after really bad puns too? :smallwink:

The Queen's Hammer - a magically animated warhammer that flies above the target before striking (Queen - Hammer To Fall)

A pair of pistols once owned by a man known only as Brixton. (The Clash - Guns of Brixton)

A spanner with the image of an ape engraved on it (Foo Fighters - Monkey Wrench)

The prophet's crystal ball, that has a chance of driving the user insane (Iron Maiden - Can I Play With Madness)

And one that's more of a location than an object, but you could have a large wall that is missing a single brick (Pink Floyd - Another Brick In The Wall) - or just the brick itself.

Edit:

And a couple more:

A human finger made from gold, that once a week can be touched against a non-organic object weighing up to half a pound, turning it instantly into solid gold (Goldfinger)

A black treasure chest, that functions like a deck of many things the first time a person opens it on their own (Nightwish - Dark Chest of Wonders)

Lvl45DM!
2014-09-04, 10:25 PM
As an alternative to the Horse With No Name, they could ride Mustang Sally against the chaotic War Pigs, lead by Iron Man.
Obviously both the Stairway to Heaven and the Highway to Hell, the latter of which can be found by ringing Hell's Bells
Stop the Levee from Breaking, which would flood the Houses of the Holy.
A cursed burning Ring of Fire, which does fire damage to the wielder, but also grants Fire Shield and Wall of Fire.

Oh and of course the Ship of Fools (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHh0V7UjVXI). How else do you think the Joker and the Thief got to the Watchtower?

Leviting
2014-09-06, 05:12 PM
The Warrior's Eyes (Disturbed-"The Warrior"): bonus to strength and to-hit. Requires you replace your eyes with them.
The White Knuckles(Five Finger Death Punch-"White Knuckles"): These gloves grant immunity to disease and exhaustion, and gain a +1 morale bonus to everything after being poisoned (though you still suffer the effects of said poison). Along with+1 damage against items.
The Battery(Metallica-"Battery"): This item, once embedded into the body, grants the user a barbarian rage once per day and a free swift action, at the cost of the user taking a -20 on attack and damage rolls against family members or close friends.