PDA

View Full Version : 5e homebrew psuedo-peach/ review requests thread

Gnomes2169
2014-09-03, 02:11 PM
Now then, I think I'm just going to comadere my own thread to use for 5e homebrew review. If anyone has a piece of 5e homebrew they would like to have the community look at, go ahead and post it in here! Just be sure to post a link to the thread or document in your request so that the reviewers can find your class, subclass, maneuver(s), spell(s) or monster(s) more easily, and I'll add the link to the masterpost under the "Reviews requested" header.

As this just contains the links and not the classes themselves, I am hoping that it will be able to stay within the 5e forum. As well, it is an attempt to consolidate the multiple "Criteque my subclass/ class/ fix/ system" threads that pop up in the 5e forum into a single master thread, to keep the forum itself less cluttered (allowing us to keep such threads easy to find but in the Homebrew forum, where they technically belong.)

Current homebrew under revision

Classes

Subclasses
The Kensai (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?369939-Kensai-fighter-subclass-for-great-justice)
The Rune Mage (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?370215-Rune-mage-a-sorcerer-subclass&p=18062153#post18062153)

Spells

Maneuvers

Races/ Subraces

Monsters

Systems/ subsystems (Warning, these will be a bit longer just due to their nature)

Compendiums (A tag for any combinarion of the above, or for cases where the creator made multiple subclasses for a single class in their thread)

CyberThread
2014-09-03, 06:48 PM
That is a ton of bonuses to hit and damage in an edition that is trying to get away from them.

I highly agree with this statement. I will give a deeper look a bit later.

Mr.Moron
2014-09-03, 07:39 PM
It's solid conceptually but the execution feels inelegant. The design is very 3.X with all the incremental bonuses and sub-abiltities with sub-abilties. I'm not sure there is much to salvage in the actual implementation here.

Gnomes2169
2014-09-03, 07:54 PM
I'm actually strongly considering the suggestion to make it Ki based... Say the Kensai gets 1+1/2 of its levels as Ki, and then can draw from a pool of maneuvers, much like a Battlemaster, but with Ki instead? It's one of the suggestions in the main thread, and I happen to like it...

That being said, yes, I believe that most of the features will have to be scrapped. Though Dueling Strike is going to stay around, likely as a maneuver, and so will Avalanche of Blades... In a more nerfed version. Because I like those dangit. :P

CyberThread
2014-09-03, 08:54 PM
Here is my simplification guide:D

Spirit weapon = Warlock pact blade

The weapon styles, nothing wrong with that, it is very similar to the barbarian spirit totem path, that picks wolf,bear,eagle. I would HIGHLY suggest, you use a similar method and get rid of all the fancy names, and stick to three "schools" of combat, that they can pick from. Simplifies it tremendously.

Now that we have worked out presentation, I will work on stats next.

Gnomes2169
2014-09-03, 11:38 PM
Here is my simplification guide:D

Spirit weapon = Warlock pact blade

The weapon styles, nothing wrong with that, it is very similar to the barbarian spirit totem path, that picks wolf,bear,eagle. I would HIGHLY suggest, you use a similar method and get rid of all the fancy names, and stick to three "schools" of combat, that they can pick from. Simplifies it tremendously.

Now that we have worked out presentation, I will work on stats next.

I'd stop there if I were you... I'm sort of doing an overhaul of the system, where I have a monk/ battlemaster hybrid (or a mobile battlemaster that uses Ki instead of superiority dice), soooo... doing math might be a bit premature. XD

Surrealistik
2014-09-04, 01:40 AM
Had a take on the Kensai myself with the Way of the Kensai path in my Monk homebrew:

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?366644-5e-D-amp-D-Surrealistik-s-Monk-Homebrew

At this point I'm considering letting the player choose from the Battle Master maneuvers that include unique custom made ones, instead of having fixed benefits at each feature level.

Gnomes2169
2014-09-04, 02:36 AM
Well, I managed to finish mine... and it looks quite a bit different from yours and the one that I originally had. XD So new feedback?

Gnomes2169
2014-09-05, 11:53 AM
Alright, we ran a few tests woth encounters between the Kensai and the Battlemaster. At all levels, the battlemaster deals a bit more damage and is actually more sustainable than the Kensai... The second thing is a thing that I will be fixing soon. However, they seem to even out at higher levels, and the Kensai eventallu becomes a better controller (while still dealing slightly less damage with most builds) and has a bit more RP impact from Ki Warlord. I still need to fix a few things (like the wording on some maneuvers and ki replenishment) but for the most part everything seems to be functioning.

Now then, I think I'm just going to comadere my own thread to use for 5e homebrew review. If anyone has a piece of 5e homebrew they would like to have the community look at, go ahead and post it in here! Just be sure to post a link to the thread or document in your request so that the reviewers can find your class, subclass, maneuver(s), spell(s) or monster(s) more easily, and I'll add the link to the masterpost under the "Reviews requested" header. ((I'll rename the thread and add this note to the master post, for the record))

And all of that being said, I have made a sorcerer subclass called the Rune Mage (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?370215-Rune-mage-a-sorcerer-subclass&p=18062153#post18062153), and am hoping for some reviews, constructive critiscism, and pointing out of blatantly broken or confusing abilities.