PDA

View Full Version : Spelless spellcaster

kulosle
2014-09-03, 02:44 PM
My friend has an idea for a character. He drew Master of the unseen hand out of a hat as his class. He doesn't particularly like playing spellcasters, he says you either put too much effort into your spells and are op or you don't and you suck. So we had the idea of a character who persists sonorous hum and ocular telekinesis (our gm okayed it, he let's us abuse rules if it makes for an interesting character, within reason) as many times as possible (probably via incantatrix). Then to try and have as few other spells as possible while still having a really high caster level. MofUH doesn't give new spells so that's good, and archmage lets us swap some out for increasing caster level, maybe
hierophant (alternate source spell entry) to up caster level more without getting spells.

so goal, get as high a caster level as possible for more attacks from telekinesis (gm approved going above 4 attacks) while having as few of spells as possible. Build must be able to have multiple sonorous hum/telekinesis persisted. any ideas?

Edit: he must use all 5 levels of MotUH

Telonius
2014-09-03, 02:51 PM
Honestly, my first thought was, " ... so he wants to play a Warlock?"

Otherwise, just have a Wizard with a bunch of blank spellbooks. Each time you level up, write down two new ones, then sell it off to the next Ye Olde Magick Shoppe you come across.

Vhaidara
2014-09-03, 03:07 PM
Marshal dip for Cha to Int based skills will help bump Spellcraft (that's how Icantatrix does free MM, right?)

MilesTiden
2014-09-03, 03:45 PM
... Play a ghost. At will telekinesis. Bam. :smalltongue:

kulosle
2014-09-03, 04:15 PM
Lol while that does work, it's also extremely weak. Trying to make this as good as possible. Marshal costs a caster level, so probably going to get an item to boost spellcraft instead. Ghost can't have multiple telekinesis up at a time, and it's caster level would be low. Mostly just wondering if there are nice things to trade your spells out for, like archmage does.

edit: he has to take all 5 levels of MotUH, noticed i didn't mention that.

1pwny
2014-09-03, 04:30 PM
...Ring of Telekinesis?

It costs 75,000 gp, but you could fluff yourself as having come from a rich family. Or something, ask the DM. But with that, all you need is 8 ranks of Concentration, and then you can go for MotUH right away. And you get infinite at-will telekinesis! Its perfect! Spend the rest of your feats/levels doing whatever you want!

Silva Stormrage
2014-09-03, 04:35 PM
... Play a ghost. At will telekinesis. Bam. :smalltongue:

Savage ghost progression helps with that one as well.

Tvtyrant
2014-09-03, 04:37 PM
Fill every possible slot with telekinesis, mage hand, Unseen servant, etc. Reserves of Strength on Telekinesis breaks the weight limit (only matters after level 15.) Unseen servant horde represents consistent low level Telekinesis, he breaks out the big guns when fighting opponents or breaking walls. Add the Hand line of spells for even more Telekinesis-esque abilities.

Jeff the Green
2014-09-03, 04:43 PM
There are a couple sorcerer ACFs that trade spells per day for combat abilities—it could give him a good backup.

However, I'd instead suggest Cleric. They can get telekinesis through the Avarice domain and cast it multiple times per day with Spontaneous Domain casting ACF. And DMM Persist will work as well as Incantatrix, though you will need to stack Nightsticks or get a few different turning pools (dip Dread Necromancer and Sacred Exorcist while getting the Rebuke Dragons ACF on Cleric). The advantage here is that your abilities naturally lead you to fighting. I'd go Cloistered Cleric 7/Dread Necromancer 1/Master of the Unseen Hand 5/Sacred Exorcist 7. Get your telekineses up, buff, and start wailing on your enemies.

Urpriest
2014-09-03, 04:46 PM
...Ring of Telekinesis?

It costs 75,000 gp, but you could fluff yourself as having come from a rich family. Or something, ask the DM. But with that, all you need is 8 ranks of Concentration, and then you can go for MotUH right away. And you get infinite at-will telekinesis! Its perfect! Spend the rest of your feats/levels doing whatever you want!

Problem is, MotUH comes from Complete Warrior. If you lose your prereqs for it (the ring is dispelled, or you take it off) then you lose the PrC permanently.

1pwny
2014-09-03, 04:49 PM
That's a problem. :smallfrown:

XmonkTad
2014-09-03, 05:00 PM
MotUH has pretty good entry from Wu Jen, but that's pretty spellcast-y. The Gene Gray build is a google search away.

The only telekinesis that I can think of that isn't a spell comes from the ghost. Psionics (strangely) doesn't get you in, don't know of any incarnum/utterances/etc that work.

If your DM is ok with overpowered stuff, why not just give him telekinesis as a supernatural ability that acts like a breath weapon (in terms of cooldown)? Have it cost a level adjustment or some feats or somesuch. But really, this character is not going to win any awards.

Urpriest
2014-09-03, 05:14 PM
Not being a Dragonmark person, I should ask, are there ways to get Telekinesis with Dragonmarks? That generally seems like a good way of getting specific spells on non-casting characters.

kulosle
2014-09-03, 05:32 PM
There are a couple sorcerer ACFs that trade spells per day for combat abilities—it could give him a good backup.

However, I'd instead suggest Cleric. They can get telekinesis through the Avarice domain and cast it multiple times per day with Spontaneous Domain casting ACF. And DMM Persist will work as well as Incantatrix, though you will need to stack Nightsticks or get a few different turning pools (dip Dread Necromancer and Sacred Exorcist while getting the Rebuke Dragons ACF on Cleric). The advantage here is that your abilities naturally lead you to fighting. I'd go Cloistered Cleric 7/Dread Necromancer 1/Master of the Unseen Hand 5/Sacred Exorcist 7. Get your telekineses up, buff, and start wailing on your enemies.

The problem with this is the caster level is really low, which means you don't get as many attacks each round. Sorcerer actually isn't a bad idea, he'd probably like that. Spell shield is an interesting use of spells. much better than arcane strike in my opinion.

We don't literally want no spells, just as few as possible, or have as many of them as possible cast first thing in the morning.

Snowbluff
2014-09-03, 05:55 PM
Gith'yanki can get telekinesis, too.

Also, I strongly suggest dungeon crasher 6 fighter for entry.

questionmark693
2014-09-03, 09:19 PM
There's a prc in either complete mage or complete arcane, its all about being really good at using telekinesis. I don't remember the name and I dont have any books on hand so I cant check, sorry. I just remember seeing it in passing once or twice.

Red Fel
2014-09-03, 10:01 PM
Not being a Dragonmark person, I should ask, are there ways to get Telekinesis with Dragonmarks? That generally seems like a good way of getting specific spells on non-casting characters.

First, obligatory Dragonmark handbook (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=1072.0). Short version? Not really. Even if you could, it would only be one or two uses a day, more with feat or PrC investment, but not at-will.

Jeff the Green
2014-09-03, 11:23 PM
The problem with this is the caster level is really low, which means you don't get as many attacks each round. Sorcerer actually isn't a bad idea, he'd probably like that. Spell shield is an interesting use of spells. much better than arcane strike in my opinion.

We don't literally want no spells, just as few as possible, or have as many of them as possible cast first thing in the morning.

A Stalwart Battle Spell Shield Sorcerer isn't a bad choice, particularly if you don't plan on making melee attacks. Spelldancer rather than Incantatrix might be a good choice, particularly if you can avoid or cure the Constitution damage more easily than you can boost Spellcraft (probable on a sorcerer).