PDA

View Full Version : Maximum Emotional Nova [3.5]

Vhaidara
2014-09-03, 02:46 PM
Okay, so I had a thought for a character. You know in TV shows when the protagonist basically explodes with power and the ground suddenly cracks under their feat? I want to do that.

Challenge: How many ways can you find to drop buffs on yourself in a single round?

If I were to run this, it would probably be gestalt with Wilder on one side, with a fully Surged buff power dropped.

The other side so far contains Barbarian (Rage) and Wildrunner (the scream is perfect for the flavor of this).

Rules
I would like to have at least 16 BAB on this
If you mention homebrew or third party, declare as such, and cite both source and, if a book, page number
Fluff restrictions (setting, region, race, alignment) can all be ignored. My GMs are awesome like that.
Less MAD obviously is better, but, again, my GMs are awesome, and if I bring them a hideously MAD character with awesome fluff, they'll let me get away with a crazy awesome point buy/rolling method. Or feed me stat items.

Zaq
2014-09-03, 04:08 PM
Barbarian and Wildrunner are a good idea to start. Most Rage-style abilities are free actions, so the more of those you can pile on, the better. Rage, Frenzy, Primal Scream . . . Battle Fury (the Berserk's version, from Deities and Demigods) is a standard action, so that's a no-go. Naturally, you'll enter your Rage after you cast your buffs, but I'm sure you thought of that.

The other side should probably involve a Time Stop, because buffing yourself to high heaven in the blink of everyone else's eyes is pretty much exactly what Time Stop is FOR.

If we go psionic (and use Temporal Acceleration instead of Time Stop), Linked Power is going to be useful, as is Schism (even though Temporal Acceleration explicitly says that Schism doesn't benefit, but it's still one extra buff). I remember the "Getting Wired" Mind's Eye article has rules for linking together psionic tattoos, so that activating the first one in a chain automatically activates the others. I'm pretty sure there's a one-round delay involved, but if we're already in Temporal Acceleration, that's not an issue (and the same goes for Linked Power). Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure that a Metamind using their infinite PP ability can just keep nesting Temporal Accelerations as long as they want to, can't they? I don't think anything prevents you from casting Temporal Acceleration within Temporal Acceleration, so as long as they can augment it enough to get two rounds out of the deal, they can just keep looping TA until they've set up as many buffs as they damn well please.

If we go non-psionic, I think using some of the Mailman's tricks to nest Arcane Fusion and the like might just be what we need. I forget exactly how big that loop can go, but if you want to abuse the action economy, that's one of the strongest ways of doing so.

sleepyphoenixx
2014-09-03, 04:13 PM
War Weaver can pre-cast up to 4 spells of up to 5th level and release them all at once as a move action. Or more and higher level spells if you include Bloodlines, Legacy Champion and Uncanny Trickster. It's pretty much the king of single-round buffing.

Vhaidara
2014-09-03, 05:18 PM
Good, good, this is what I like to see.

I still might include the Berserk. It would be the finisher to my buffs.

I was planning on doing a combination of Psycrystal Containment (whatever the feat that nets you a second focus is) along with Quicken Power.

The Metamind combo is pretty abusive, and probably beyond what I would go for. I only even mentioned psionics because of Wild Surge + Surging Euphoria being pretty perfect for the idea of going beyond your limits.

Chained Tattoos actually sounds really awesome. Are they EPH or CPsi? Are they consumable or 1/day? Either way it still fits, since WBL can be flavored.

War Weaver: I might look into trying to find some way to have a symbiotic cohort with War Weaver levels for that. Fluff it as a little entity within that unleashes his full power in times of stress.

Zaq
2014-09-03, 05:29 PM
Chained tattoos are Mind's Eye, not XPH or CPsi. Here's the article. (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20031225a) Basically, you use the Relay tattoo to link three tattoos together, and they trigger in sequence, one per round (like Linked Power, kinda) when you fire off the first one. You can use the Mental Tap tattoo to get the initial activation down to a swift action. Tattoos normally fade away when you use them, but you can use the Capacitor tattoo to make them semi-permanent (they recharge slowly on their own, and you can use the Transducer tattoo to spend PP to recharge them faster). You've only got a limited number of slots for tattoos, so you can't have hundreds of them, but you can get a pretty good setup going nonetheless. The biggest weakness is that they're still psionic tattoos, so they're still limited to 3rd level powers or lower. But go ahead and read the article—it's interesting stuff.

molten_dragon
2014-09-03, 05:36 PM
You should definitely have 8 levels of factotum on one side. And as many font of inspiration feats as you can fit in. Being able to take an extra 4-5 standard actions the first round of combat will really help do what you're looking for.

You'll want a belt of battle too.