PDA

View Full Version : Alacritous Cogitation [Question]

Aximili
2007-03-08, 08:23 PM
Ok, when this feat says "any arcane spell you know", does it mean from a class that actually knows spells (such as a sorceror) or does it mean the spells in the wizards spellbook?

I'm asking cause, as far as I know, wizards don't "know" spells. And since this book actually has a prestige class for wizard/sorceror...

(Alacritous Cogitation is in the Complete Mage)

Hamster_Ninja
2007-03-08, 11:07 PM
Its most likely a spell you have in your spellbook that you can cast (seeing as it can be a wizards bonus feat and requires them to prepare arcane spells)

SpiderBrigade
2007-03-08, 11:15 PM
Yeah, I think that although technically "having in your spellbook" is not the same as "knowing," it is in this case. I mean, come on, a feat called Alacritous Cogitation was NOT designed with sorcerors in mind :smalltongue:

Aximili
2007-03-09, 10:53 AM
So, it actually allows you to cast a potentially infinite variety of spells with that slots. =P

You could have every single utility-spell-not-worth-preparing-every-day in that free slot.

silentknight
2007-03-13, 06:44 PM
I'm thinking that a wizard knows the spells in his spellbook, but doesn't have them all memorized at a certain time. If he didn't know them, he wouldn't be able to cast them, period.

Merlin the Tuna
2007-03-13, 07:03 PM
I'm thinking that a wizard knows the spells in his spellbook, but doesn't have them all memorized at a certain time. If he didn't know them, he wouldn't be able to cast them, period.Nah, that's what Spell Mastery is for. Or rather, what it would be for if it weren't so terrible that no one ever took it.

Aximili
2007-03-13, 07:55 PM
I'm thinking that a wizard knows the spells in his spellbook, but doesn't have them all memorized at a certain time. If he didn't know them, he wouldn't be able to cast them, period.
So, if he loses his spell book, he suddenly doesn't know them or he still knows them eventhough he'll never be able to cast again without a new spellbook?

Raum
2007-03-13, 09:01 PM
Ok, when this feat says "any arcane spell you know", does it mean from a class that actually knows spells (such as a sorceror) or does it mean the spells in the wizards spellbook?No, sorcerers can't take the feat unless they have already taken another feat to allow them to prepare spells. (Check the prerequisite.)

I'm asking cause, as far as I know, wizards don't "know" spells. And since this book actually has a prestige class for wizard/sorceror...Wizards learn spells in two methods: research (including the two per level they research automatically) and by rolling a spellcraft (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/skills/spellcraft.htm) check to learn spells from a scroll or another spell book.

If your wizard is in the habit of "losing" spell books and has this feat, you may want to keep separate lists of "learned" and "available for study". Or possibly house rule "known spells" to be the spells in what ever spell book you study each morning.

Aximili
2007-03-13, 09:26 PM
No, sorcerers can't take the feat unless they have already taken another feat to allow them to prepare spells. (Check the prerequisite.)
Actually, I was thinking of a Wizard/Sorceror. So the spell slot you left open with the wizard could be used to cast sorceror known spells.

That just sounded so much more interesting than simply being able to cast any spell in your spell book without preparing it.:smallbiggrin:

Well, live and learn...

Ramza00
2007-03-13, 09:29 PM
It is the spells in his spellbook. There was a debate similar to this with arcane fusion (which the wizard gets via wyrm wizard or recaster) and what counts as spell knowns for wizards on the co boards a few months back.

Here is the thread
http://boards1.wizards.com/showthread.php?t=732564

Note as a DM I will quickly exercise Rule 0 if somebody in my group tries to pull this trick with arcane fusion.

Aximili
2007-03-13, 10:27 PM
Where do I find Arcane Fusion?

Ramza00
2007-03-13, 10:33 PM
Complete Mage.

Just a warning, with sanctum spell it is theroetically possible to get infinite damage with Arcane Fusion by choosing Arcane Fusion to recast Arcane Fusion in an infinite loop.

Sigh how much I hate sanctum spell :(