PDA

View Full Version : Protecting your System?

SixWingedAsura
2014-09-03, 03:45 PM
If this is in the wrong forum, I do apologize, and would ask a moderator to move it.

So, a friend and I have been doing a lot of work on a tabletop system that we believe could be very successful. We've run into a bit of snag though.

From what I've been reading, you cannot copyright a tabletop system. If that's the case, how can one protect one's intellectual property when it comes to making your own system? If you can't, what's stopping people from simply being able to copy everyone else' system and being able to make money off of it?

Segev
2014-09-03, 04:10 PM
You can patent algorithms, and copyright specific text. (I am not a lawyer, do not take this as legal advice. This is just my understanding.)

Basically, the way WotC, say, protects the non-OGL parts of their system is by saying, "The text is copyrighted, and thus cannot be used without our permission." They also trademark the identifiable creature types etc. that they wish to protect (e.g. illithids, beholders).

You can also patent algorithms, and game rules are essentially algorithms for running a game.

This wouldn't stop somebody from making a "homebrew" that was REMARKABLY SIMILAR to yours, but it would have to have identifiable differences.

Brookshw
2014-09-03, 04:15 PM
This is not the correct place for the question. I'd suggest start by researching copyright.gov (http://www.copyright.gov/) and reading through some material by NOLO publishing which specializes in easily accessible legal explanations, much geared towards aspiring authors.

Segev
2014-09-03, 04:22 PM
This is not the correct place for the question. I'd suggest start by researching copyright.gov (http://www.copyright.gov/) and reading through some material by NOLO publishing which specializes in easily accessible legal explanations, much geared towards aspiring authors.

This is probably the best advice. We're not copyright nor patent lawyers around here, so anything we say could be fraught with inaccuracies. You certainly do not want to rely on us for more than general ideas, and even THOSE you want to research thoroughly with actual expert sources.

Brookshw
2014-09-03, 04:27 PM
This is probably the best advice. We're not copyright nor patent lawyers around here, so anything we say could be fraught with inaccuracies. You certainly do not want to rely on us for more than general ideas, and even THOSE you want to research thoroughly with actual expert sources.

*cough* some of us actually are copyright experts *cough*

Also back to the OP, we have multiple copyright communities on linkedin, try posting a question there as another option.

SixWingedAsura
2014-09-03, 04:57 PM
Thanks for the advice guys. I had checked out the government copyright site, but it seemed unclear as to whether or not I could or could not copyright the actual system itself or not. But now that I know that algorithms are copyrightable, I can now worry about getting the cash for the registration fee...and you know, actually writing out what I'll be sending in, XD

Brookshw
2014-09-03, 05:12 PM
Thanks for the advice guys. I had checked out the government copyright site, but it seemed unclear as to whether or not I could or could not copyright the actual system itself or not. But now that I know that algorithms are copyrightable, I can now worry about getting the cash for the registration fee...and you know, actually writing out what I'll be sending in, XD

Ummm.......fees are really low, like, REALLY low. Depending on your registration $30ish low. Even the high end isn't that high.

Mikeavelli
2014-09-03, 05:24 PM
There's a practicing lawyer on Reddit who does AMA's on /r/gamedev answering questions like this from time to time, presumably for the free advertising. Avoiding the direct link because rules.
Edit: Yeah, that's commercial advertising, which they take pretty seriously.

SixWingedAsura
2014-09-03, 06:10 PM
Ummm.......fees are really low, like, REALLY low. Depending on your registration $30ish low. Even the high end isn't that high.

HAHAHAHAHAHAhahaha...

ha...

You underestimate my utter brokeness. :smallbiggrin:

EDIT: Wait, so Mikeavelli, GitP frowns on advertising? If that's the case, you could just PM me the link. If it's Reddit tho', then I'll just slog through Reddit to find him.

LibraryOgre
2014-09-03, 07:58 PM
The Mod Wonder: As mentioned, we (the forum members) can't give legal advice on the forum. There are a number of decent on-line guides to copyright law, of varying validity, out there.