PDA

View Full Version : Survival skill DCs

Bellberith
2014-09-03, 08:09 PM
is the DMG foraging/hunting rules out yet? in the PHB it says it has rules for that and i was wondering if any playtest or pre-release basic rules has them.

wondering the difficulty i should set for a player to sustain himself and the party with survival. i know it depends on location but currently they are near the werewoods.

Mr.Moron
2014-09-03, 08:22 PM
Nothing official yet, afaik. Humans are pretty versatile eaters but food density varies. If I was ruling I'd probably be like this:

I'd say for your average fantasy countryside a single person should likely be able to feed themselves no problem about DC 5 or so. If you're procifienct I'm probably not even going to ask for the check, barring special circumstances. Feeding a group (2-3) is much harder and likely a DC 10 or so. Feeding a large group on (4-6) is going to take a lot of luck & skill and is probably in the DC 15 range. This is "Per Forager" so if you've got 2 people feeding 4 that's only a DC 10 each.

This makes some assumptions too. If the land around them is plentiful that's advantage, if it's relatively barren that's disadvantage. If it's winter increase the DCs by 5. In some rare cases like being in totally alien terrain I might halve their profiency bonus or if they've been working that land for decades... double it.

Alefiend
2014-09-03, 09:22 PM
This isn't an answer, but I did notice that Rangers find twice as much food when foraging in favored terrain.

Demonic Spoon
2014-09-03, 10:49 PM
This makes some assumptions too. If the land around them is plentiful that's advantage, if it's relatively barren that's disadvantage. If it's winter increase the DCs by 5. In some rare cases like being in totally alien terrain I might halve their profiency bonus or if they've been working that land for decades... double it.

Presumably a difficult task would be represented by a higher DC, not by advantage/disadvantage.