PDA

View Full Version : Optimization My 1st 5e character (LvL1 Lock). Step in, take a look, leave your comment..

Kerilstrasz
2014-09-03, 08:49 PM
Melinoe
LvL 1 Warlock
Chaotic Neutral
Half Elf
Sage
Ancient One (Norgannon)
Tome (at 3rd)

StR: 8
DeX: 16
CoN: 14
InT: 10
WiS: 13
ChA: 16

Arcana , History , Deception , Persuasion , Insight , Perception

Melinoe was a reknown researcher among scholar & historian circles. After descovering a tome of obscure ancient knowledge, she adopted strange,almost insane ideas about dark beings which allegedly shared their profane powers with her in exchange of knowledge.
She's concidered a disgraced academic & although she kept a lot of friends, most of her previous colleagues wants nothing to do with her.
Since then, she abandoned her steady job in the royal library & set to explore the world for more knowledge and.. power.

- Eldritch Blast
- Prestidigitation

- Comprehent Languages
- Hex

Awakened Mind

Starting at 1st level, your alien knowledge gives you the ability to touch the minds of other creatures. You can communicate telepathically with any creature you can see within 30 feet o f you. You don't need to share a language with the creature for it to understand your telepathic utterances, but the creature must be able to understand at least one language.

Researcher

When you attempt to learn or recall a piece of lore, if you do not know that information, you often know where and from whom you can obtain it. Usually, this information comes from a library, scriptorium, university, or a sage or other learned person or creature.
Your DM might rule that the knowledge you seek is secreted away in an almost inaccessible place, or that it simply cannot be found. Unearthing the deepest secrets o f the multiverse can require an adventure or even a whole campaign.

I've read every book in the world's greatest libraries, or I like to boast that I have.
There's nothing I like more than a good mystery.

The goal of a life of study is the betterment of oneself.

I sold my soul for knowledge. I hope to do great deeds and win it back.

Unlocking an ancient mystery is worth the price of a civilization.

Just want to share it.. you may comment, you may not..

Thank you for your time :smallwink:

Theodoxus
2014-09-04, 08:21 AM
My buddy has almost the exact character - though he went archfey for flavor. It's very effective. Our party consists of him, a ranged rogue, a druid/monk and me, tanking fighter.

I hope you enjoy your lock :)

Sir_Leorik
2014-09-04, 08:43 AM
Here are a few suggestions.

Most of your proficient skills require Intelligence or Wisdom. Arcana and History are obviously from the Sage background, but I recommend taking a Dexterity based skill like Stealth from Skill Versatility, if you want to have synergy with your 16 Dexterity.

Otherwise it looks like a good build. What spells and Invocations are you planning to take at higher levels?

Kerilstrasz
2014-09-04, 11:14 AM
Most of your proficient skills require Intelligence or Wisdom.

I m aiming for party face role...
If you are familiar with SG-1 series, i had Daniel Jackson in mind (hence the "disgraced academic" in my backround )

What spells and Invocations are you planning to take at higher levels?

haven't work it very far..

Agonizing Blast
Repelling Blast
One with the shadows
Witch Sight
Eldritch Sight
Book of Ancient Secrets

These are just those that i figure to be useful so far.. i may change my mind later

i didn't do a plan yet.. since my dpr will be E.B. mainly, i think i ll go for utility spells like:
invis , fly , dispel, dimension door etc etc

Sir_Leorik
2014-09-04, 11:28 AM
If you are familiar with SG-1 series, i had Daniel Jackson in mind (hence the "disgraced academic" in my backround )

Agonizing Blast
Repelling Blast
One with the shadows
Witch Sight
Eldritch Sight
Book of Ancient Secrets

These are just those that i figure to be useful so far.. i may change my mind later

i didn't do a plan yet.. since my dpr will be E.B. mainly, i think i ll go for utility spells like:

Have you considered swapping Intelligence and Wisdom? That way your Arcana and History scores are higher. Maybe another character in your party, with high Wisdom, could take Insight? Again, these are just suggestions.

My next suggestion: don't take too many Concentration spells. Hex requires concentration, and is one of the best ways to enhance Eldritch Blast (it's what my Archfey Warlock is doing).

MustacheFart
2014-09-04, 11:54 AM

Agonizing Blast
Repelling Blast
One with the shadows
Witch Sight
Eldritch Sight
Book of Ancient Secrets

What does your party make up look like?

Also why the comprehend languages spell if you already have the feature that allows you to telepathically communicate with anything or anyone?

Lastly, I would've chosen Ancient One (Cthulu) over Norgannon just because....it's freaking Cthulu.

Kerilstrasz
2014-09-04, 12:10 PM
Have you considered swapping Intelligence and Wisdom?

Yes i have.. but when it comes down to it, i prefer be more effective as party face. And to be honest it is kinda personal.. i 've "burnt my hide" enough times to know better now that insight is equal if not more useful that persuasion/deception.

What does your party make up look like?

I ll meet the rest group later in this week.. i have no idea :smalltongue:

why the comprehend languages spell if you already have the feature that allows you to telepathically communicate with anything or anyone?

3 reasons:
1: As a "book eater" researcher, by backround she should be able to read anything.
2: As party face i should be able to understand everything people say to me (or whisper about me) in a foreign language
3: How would your common waitress, guard or anyone for that matter react if suddently start hearing voices? Shocked? Terrified? Maybe violated you went into their minds? Not a good conversation starter :smallwink:

Lastly, I would've chosen Ancient One (Cthulu) over Norgannon just because....it's freaking Cthulu.

Well.. i want a non-evil ancient.. and since i'm WoW myth-aholic i prefer to go with Norgannon :smallcool: