PDA

View Full Version : Hill Country IC [D&D 5e]

Eulalios
2014-09-03, 09:47 PM
Eastward from Calimport, up along the Calim River, the coastal desert merges into rugged scrubland, from which an upward sloping grassland continues northeastward into foothills where rain falls oft enough to raise a sparse forest of pines and other needly trees.

Above the forest are dry mountains, old and smoothed by wind and snowmelt, white capped four months or seven months out of each year.

East along the northern slopes of those old mountains, another forest ranges - the Mir. And beyond the Mir, far inland from the grandeur of Calimport, is the barbaric and backward Hill Country. It is there you're sent to find the tomb of an ancient elven King.

By who are you sent? You don't know, exactly. Within the past weeks, you each have been approached by a middle aged human eunuch fluent in your native language and claiming to represent a wealthy and powerful family. The eunuch's jewelry and opulent yet anonymous garments, along with the letters of credit and introduction and the purse of coin he offered toward traveling costs, substantiate those claims. However, your contact conformed to Calimport's commercial custom in concealment of his contractors' cognomina.

Calimport, 24th Alturiak, Year of the Turret (1360 Harptos): unseasonably warm and typically arid
The night wind from the desert onto the water has dwindled down through dawn to still, cool air. The sun hangs hot, a little bit south of east and low above the sharp lapis lazuli waves of the Shining Sea. In northerly lands this would be winter with snow on the ground. This morning, here, not even dew. The caravanserai reeks of donkeys, camels, spices, grain dust, spilled wine, salt fish, and dozens of lesser mercantile odors. Some might say it's too early to be up. Yet the infrequently-organized caravan, east along the coast then up the Calim River and over the Marching Mountains, toward the Sea of Fallen Stars, is getting underway, and you are meant to be among its dozen dozens of travellers and packbeasts.

First player post (once approved via PM) should be

Marshbloom
Female halfling(light foot) Rogue/2, formerly was a Sailor

You see a small and slight-framed (3'7", 47 lb) female with greenish-blonde hair down to her shoulder blades. Her eyes are large and brown/green shifty in color. Her smile is frequent, and also just a bit shifty. She stands quite still aside from her smile and her restless eyes. Her voice is high-pitched and liquid. She wears, over her traveling clothes, a set of studded leather dyed in dappled marshy colors. Weaponry is draped all over her.

The eunuch leaned forward just a little and lowered his quiet voice to a murmur. Rogues know that murmurs, lacking sibilance, don't carry as far as whispers. "You have stolen in every sook, and you owe money in every ward," he says - in competent Halfling. "It seems like a great time for you to leave town walking."

Combat
Size Small :: base move 25; total load 45#
Sneak Attack (+1d6 dmg), Cunning Action (Dash, Disengage, Hide)
HP 15, AC 15 (Small size studded leather armor 6#)
Rapier (2#) +5 atk, 1d8+3 prc
Shortsword (2#) +5 atk, 1d6+3 prc
Two daggers (2#) +5 atk, 1d4+3 prc, thrown (20/60)
Six darts (3#) +5 atk, 1d4+3 prc, thrown (20/60)
Hand crossbow (3#), +5 atk, 1d6+3 prc, rgd (30/120)
20 c/bow bolts in case (2.5#)

Languages
"Common," Halfling, *Draconic(?)
Thieves' Cant

Trait [roll0] -> I read omens in everything I see.
Ideal [roll1] -> A person's authority rests on their competence.
Bond [roll2] -> Whenever I can, I send my first captain a letter. Once in a long while, I receive a reply.
Flaw [roll3] Criminal -> If there’s a plan, I’ll forget it. If I don’t forget it, I’ll ignore it.

[roll4] -> DEX (+2 halfling) = 16 :: (+3) Acrobatics, Sleight of Hand, Stealth(x2), ST
[roll5] -> CHA (+1 lightfoot) = 10 :: (+0)
[roll6] -> WIS :: (+0) Perception(x2), Animal Handling*
[roll7] -> INT :: (-2) ST
[roll8] -> STR :: (+1) Athletics*
[roll9] -> CON :: (+1)

Expertise: Stealth, Perception
Tools: thieves' tools, a backgammon cloth with dice and pieces
Other skills: *Waterborne vehicles (turtle boats)

-45 -25 -0.6 +5 gp +0.2 -2 -75 -4 -17 -2 -50 -5 -10 -2
Other equipment: Small traveling clothes 2#, a tiny silver icon of a raven on a tarred rope bracelet around her wrist, a dungeoneer's pack 5# + contents 24.5# (bag of holding 15#{first sack 0.5#(Small common clothes 1.5#, Small fancy clothes 3#, a Small warm blanket 1.5#), second sack 0.5#(a mess kit 1#, a flask-and-cup of potent booze 1#, a carefully padded flask of fine red wine 5#), third sack 0.5#(a two person tent 20#), fourth sack 0.5#(30 days Small rations 30#), fifth sack 0.5#(20 torches 20#, 3 flasks of oil 3#, a lamp 1#), sixth sack(3x50 ft hemp rope 30#), seventh sack(a crowbar 5#, a hammer 3#, 10 pitons 2.5#, thieves tools 1#), pouch of 76gp}, a tinderbox 1#, a waterskin 5#, 2 torches 2#, backgammon cloth wrapped around pieces and dice 0.5#).

Demonic Spoon
2014-09-06, 03:15 PM
Harik Stonebeard
Male Hill Dwarf, Druid/1 previously and still an outlander

You see a rugged yet odd-looking hill dwarf (3'7'' and about 120 lbs) with dark gray hair and a beard halfway down his chest. Unlike others of his kind, his hair and beard are unkempt; there's a bit of twig sticking out from his beard that he doesn't quite seem to notice. He walks with a "staff" which looks to just be the gnarled branch of some desert tree, and a handaxe hangs at each hip. Over his traveling clothes are leather armor, a backpack, and some kind of animal pelt wrapped around his waist.

The eunuch smiles and continues despite Harik's initial skepticism. "Your clan still wishes to return to that area, correct? This wealth may be of little use to you, but it would certainly go along way towards moving them there. And maybe after you complete my task, they'll have someone to lead them there."

Combat
Size Medium:: Base move 25; total load 107
HP 12, AC 12, Initiative 1
Quarterstaff: attack +2, 1d8
Throwing axe: Attack +2, 1d6, range 20/60
Cantrips: Thorn Whip, Druidcraft
Spells: Various

Languages: Common, Dwarvish, Druidic,Draconic

Trait: Keeps a detailed catalog of the plants and animals in the areas he passes through.
Ideal: Humanoid societies can thrive, so long as they choose to live with nature
Bond: The clan
Flaw: Very dismissive of many social norms. Once tried to change his name, until he was threatened with expulsion from his clan for it.

Rolls here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=18067741&postcount=2)

STR > 11 :: +0 :: (+2) athletics
DEX > 13 :: +1
CON > 14 +2 hill dwarf = 16 :: +3
INT > 12 :: +1 :: (+3) Nature
WIS > 16 +1 hill dwarf = 17 :: +3 :: (+5)Survival, Medicine
CHA > 7 :: -2

Tools: Brewer's supplies, herbalism kit
Misc proficiencies: Pan flute

Item - Weight (lb)

Yucca tree branch (quarterstaff) - 4
Handaxes x2 - 4

Leather armor - 10
coyote pelt - 1
travelers' clothes - 4
sprig of mistletoe - ~

Backpack - 5
Hunting trap - 25
bedroll - 7
mess kit - 1
tinderbox - 1
torches x10 - 10
days rations 10x - 20
waterskin - 5
50 feet of hempen rope - 10

Herbalism kit - 3
paper, 5 sheets - ~
scroll case - 1
ink pen - ~
Vial - ~

1 gold pieces
9 silver pieces
8 coppers

Ceskay
2014-09-08, 12:48 PM
Kaelyn Olson
Female Human Rogue 1, a disgraced academic
You see a lanky, dark-haired woman with a slender, wiry build dressed in dark leather armor. Her eyes are deep set and peek carefully behind a pair of spectacles sitting atop a long, slender nose. Her mouth is small, her lips thin, and she frequently scratches along her jawline as a nervous habit.

The eunuch approached her after the lecture. The man had stuck out like a sore thumb, being both unique in appearance and one of only a few who had come to hear Kaelyn speak. "You are better than this." he said. "I can sense a great passion for history and the thrill of discovery in your voice. I can offer you the chance to feel that thrill again, and restore your soiled reputation."

Size: Medium Speed: 30ft. Carrying Capacity: 195 pounds
HP: 10, AC: 15, Initiative: +4
Rapier +6 (1d8+4 Piercing)
Shortbow +6 (1d6+4 Piercing) range 80/320
Dagger +6 (1d4+4 Piercing) range 20/60

Class: Rogue
Armor Proficiency: Light
Weapon Proficiencies: Simple weapons, hand crossbows, longswords, rapiers, shortswords
Tool Proficiencies: Thieves' Tools
Saving Throws: Dexterity, Intelligence
Skill Proficiencies: Arcana, Athletics, History, Investigation, Perception, Stealth
Languages: Common, Dwarvish, Elvish, Goblin, Thieves' cant
Equipment: Rapier, shortbow, 20 arrows, Burglar's pack, leather armor, 2 daggers, thieves' tools Bottle of black ink, a quill, a small knife, a letter from a dead colleague, a set of common clothes, 10gp
Expertise: Investigation, Thieves' Tools

STR 13
DEX 18
CON 15
INT 15
WIS 15
CHA 12

Erik Vale
2014-09-10, 12:44 AM
Alex Ghostwalker
Human Male Fighter 1, Noble [Knight]
You see a tall man of athletic build, with long blond hair tide back in a braid, his face clean and clean shaven. He moves around with confidence, and looks to everything with piercing blue eyes... And then a black furred weasel climbs up onto his shoulders, looking around.

"You wan't to be respected by all, you want to be more than just some fifth son of some noble to be forgotten? I promise you that this will be well worth your time."

Size: Medium
Speed: 30ft
AC: 16 [Chain Mail, Disadvantage on Stealth Checks, 10 without]
HP: 12
Longsword: +5/1d8+3 Versatile [1d10]
Longbow: +2/1d8 [150/600], 100 Shots

STR: 16/+3 [15 Base, +1 Human]
DEX: 10/+0 [10 Base]
CON: 14/+2 [14 Base]
INT: 14/+2 [13 Base, +1 Human]
WIS: 8/-1 [8 Base]
CHA: 12/+1 [12 Base]

Background: Knight of Wizard's Reach [Noble Variant, Region of Wizard's Reach]
Evil
Trait: I don't put myself above others due to my station [Humble.]
Ideal: Respect. Respect is everyone's due, as a being, for what they do, for who they are.
Bond: The common folk must see me as a hero.

I secretly believe all others are beneath me.

Languages: Common, Elven, Draconic
Proficiency Bonus: +2
Proficiency: Shields, Light-Heavy Armor, Simple and Martial Weapons
Tools: Chess
Skills: History, Persuasion, Arcarna, Athletics, Animal Handling
Saves: Strength, Constitution

Feats: Ritual Caster [Comprehend Languages, Find Familiar]

Fine Clothes, Signet Ring [A Flaming Sword over a gemstone], Scroll of Pedigree, 10gp [25-Spent], Chain mail, Greatsword, Longbow, 5 Quivers of 100 Arrows, Handaxe(*2), Explorers Kit, Spellbook, 2nd Level Scroll [?], 3 Thunderstones [?]

Spellbook Spells: Find Familiar, Comprehend Languages

Components for Find Familiar [Cast, Infernal Weasel, Ezher'an]
5 Quivers containing 100 Arrows total.

[[Further Background to be sent, character otherwise complete.]]

Eulalios
2014-09-10, 07:58 PM
There is no particular master to this irregular caravan. Unlike the regular mercantile treks that make the ten-day crossing of the Calim Desert to trade in Memnon, this caravan is not well-organized and not under discipline. Nor is it even clear who knows the road to reach the first stop, at the High Bridge over the Calim River, somewhere about five days northeast from the dusty tents and buildings that stretch along the coastal blufftops east of Calimport.

It seems like you should be getting underway any time, just so soon as every leaderless mother's child of you and their damned camel or donkey has agreed that everything's properly packed and that everyone who ought to be leaving, is here. There's a plenty of cursing around you from at least five dozen mouths at any particular moment, and a new mouth every other moment. The sun is crawling up the morning side of the sky, the Shining Sea has taken on its darker blue mid-day color, and it's not going to really get hot in the third ten of Alturiak, but if you keep in the middle of this wild scrum, you'll find yourself sweating and incidentally bruised.

Four would-be travelers take refuge on stools round a low table, under the awning of a tent. The tenant - a half-elf, faintly blue-skinned, blond-bearded, be-ringed in his ears - sits with you, smiling. "So - who are you?" he asks with a fond directness.

Ceskay
2014-09-10, 11:44 PM
A lanky woman in dusty leather armor shifts in her stool uncomfortably. "I'm Kaelyn Olson. And you, sir? Who might you be?"

Demonic Spoon
2014-09-11, 12:06 AM
The dwarf looks up from his backpack, staring blankly at the half-elf for a moment, not sure what to make of him. He seems to lose interest once the human woman responds; he leans down and wipes the sweat from his face with his animal pelt before going back to digging through his belongings.

Eulalios
2014-09-11, 08:18 AM
"I'm a simple seller of refreshments," the man replies. "Pardo is my name. Would you care for a citrus drink? Cold watermelon? A collapsible tent?". Glancing toward his own large tent, he adds, "whatever you forgot, we got: get it here.". He grimaces. "Not a great slogan, but somehow better than fresh tents here, right?"

Demonic Spoon
2014-09-11, 07:22 PM
Without removing his head from his bag, the dwarf responds, curiously, "Mead?"

After a moment, his head pops back up and he looks around at the others, as if he had just realized something important. "Oh, and uh... Harik Stonebeard."

Eulalios
2014-09-12, 07:58 AM
Pardo grins at the scrublands dwarf. "Was it your own tribe that sold me drink made from honey of the djinn-touched desert bees? Only the brave and crazy drink that. You're welcome to some, for a silver coin. Wait a moment I will fetch the open skin ... would anyone else like aught to drink?"

Demonic Spoon
2014-09-12, 01:02 PM
Harik looks up and stares blankly at nothing for a couple seconds, before reaching into a pouch in his backpack and pulling out 5 silver pieces. "One now, four for the road. Uhm, please."

Eulalios
2014-09-12, 01:36 PM
Pardo grins widely. "For that, esteemed sir, you may have both skins." (That's about two gallons of mead). He vanishes into his tent.

While he's in there, a vaguely familiar person walks through the throng to stand at the table - flanked by two massive guards, who have big scimitars at their waists and carry spears with broad ripple-edge blades. "Hello," says the eunuch to all of the PCs. He waves a hand at waist level, and a pair of halflings step around him, holding at shoulder level a chest of pale wood strapped shut with silver bands. They set the chest down on the table with a thump; the inside of the chest makes a slidy jingling noise. "I mentioned traveling money. Here it is. I want you to search the Hill Country, over the Deepwash and east of the Snowflake Mountains. I leave it your choice whether to join with this caravan, or find a quicker more expensive route. I think with the caravan you will be about two or three months on the trail. A ship might be quicker. Have you a map?"

Ceskay
2014-09-12, 07:48 PM
Kaelyn smiled at the vedor. "I'd be most grateful for some watermelon, if you have it." she says, and upon receiving it proceeds to munch happily until the Eunuch arrives.

Looking up at the man, Kaelyn shakes her head. "No, I've not yet had the opportunity to procure a map. I had initially thought to stay with the caravan for safety, but if a boat would carry us to the hills more quickly, it might be worth the expense."

Eulalios
2014-09-12, 09:47 PM
The eunuch smiles, and fingers the trim on his shawl. "Here," he says, gesturing to the tabletop.
http://realmshelps.net/faerun/pix/mt_calimshan.jpg

"We are here, as you know," he says, poking his finger at Calimport. "The tomb that my employers want found, is somewhere ... here." He pokes the upper right corner of the map. "Northeast beyond the Omlarandins, in the hills overlooking the Deepwash. Some backcountry called Erlkazar.

"The chest holds funds to get you there, at least. On the way, keep a journal how you get there. Ask lots of questions, note the dangers, find a safe road. Once there, ask more questions, find the tomb. Be cautious. There are rumors about its guardians. Get back here with your journal and your maps, to Pardo's tent, and let him know to find me for you. You will be well paid."

Demonic Spoon
2014-09-13, 04:02 PM
Harik studies the map carefully. "We could just travel north to the River Ith and get some small boats. Ah...suppose we could take a ship around, but I'd rather be on or very close to dry land."

He looks over to the large chest, and then glances at the halflings. "I don't suppose these two are going to be coming with us to carry our chest of traveling money?"

Eulalios
2014-09-13, 04:37 PM
"No, terribly sorry... it's just so hard to get a matched trio of halflings. Admittedly they aren't a flawless set - their sister Foon is female ... yet I loathe to let them go. So sorry.

"Other questions?"

Eulalios
2014-09-13, 06:07 PM
... He looks over to the large chest ...

Not that large, really. No bigger than his head, but more oblongy. Probably big enough to hold a couple thousand of the small silver coins that are used for common trade.

"Oh, and be careful when you open that," says the eunuch with a cautious nod toward the chest. "You see the latches on the bands? Always wear gloves - sharp edges under there. And, also: there is an inner lid. I have not ever looked at it. Once the bands are unlatched, best open the chest under a cover, a cloak perhaps, and lift the inner lid unseen."

At about this time, Pardo emerges from the tent clutching two bulging gallon wine skins under his left arm, and carrying on his outstretched right hand a thin silver plate of sliced watermelons amid melting ice. "M'lady," he says, curtseying as he presents the plate to Kaelyn. "And sir, your mead," he adds, deftly body-juggling one of the ten pound wine skins to grasp it by its neck and proffer it to Harik. The other he puts on the table. "I'll be back with a clay cup for the sir?" He waits for the dwarfen druid to take the offered skin.

Eulalios
2014-09-17, 09:32 PM
While you are deciding what to do with the small but hefty chest of silver coin, the eunuch bows slightly and walks away, trailed by the twin halflings and the big burly guards. You notice as they turn away, their lower jaws protrude as if they might once have had small orcish tusks.

The caravan eventually is getting going, a few camels already straggling out through the gap of the low brick wall that surrounds the acres-big caravanserai. Instead of turning left and north across the desert, they head straight east along the coastal bluffs. One more follows, then four, then two ... still dozens of camels and horses with their loads being tightened down. It probably will be evening by the time that the last one passes out the gate.

What do you do?