PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Need help for Generalist/Skillmonkey/Weaponmaster(?) build

Pyromancer999
2014-09-03, 11:27 PM
So, I've been recently recruited to a game going on at my college.

So far, the party is this(as we're not allowed to tell each other anything about our characters other than the roles we're supposed to fill):

-Super OP support/healer caster(this guy is great at optimizing, and has a history of doing insane stuff with anything he's given, regardless of restrictions placed on characters).
-Battlefield control caster
-Magical Ranged Guy
-Presuming a Melee combatant/tank here, as the person won't say anything other than "I'mma hit stuff with a stick!" When they're asked about their character's role

I was recruited to be a Generalist/Skillmonkey. It has also been hinted at(and then outright said) that it would be in my best interests to be good at weapons as well, in addition to the fact that he would very much like it if I had at least some Factotum in my build(this part isn't a problem, as I was considering a dip but unsure as to just how much I should have now). This makes me unsure of how to exactly pull off such a build.

Here are the restrictions:
Races: Any, but campaign has pretty much only PHB races excepting Half-orcs, Halflings, and Orcs(which are rare or do not exist), Humans get +2 to any ability score they like in addition to normal abilities, and all other races than the ones mentioned before(excepting halflings, Orcs and their kin) get +1 LA added on, to reflect rarity.

Ability Scores: 32 point buy.

Feats and Classes: Open to all WoTC produced books, excepting those which are campaign setting specific), although Arcane/Divine Magic and Maneuvers are only subsystems allowed.

Wealth: as per the normal wealth of a 5th level adventurer in the WBL chart.

Starting Level: 5

Can anyone give some advice on what would be a good direction to head with this?

Piggy Knowles
2014-09-03, 11:49 PM
I recommend checking out Haberdash the Masked (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?88633-Haberdash-the-Masked-The-3-5-Kitchen-Sink); it seems very similar to what you are looking for.

Were it me, I would probably play a Warblade with Able Learner and a dip into Rogue or Factotum, or something oddball like Rogue 1/Artificer 4 going into Chameleon.

Pyromancer999
2014-09-04, 10:28 AM
A good suggestion, and probably would allow for a good skillmonkey/melee type, but feels like it may neglect the generalist aspect that I'm supposed to do. Wondering if multiclassing into Chameleon later would be good for generalizing, or if it'd be better for me to just stay Factotum when advancing further levels.

Any feat suggestions besides Able Learner? I'm probably going to also take Knowledge Devotion, but not too sure of where to go from there.

Rebel7284
2014-09-04, 10:35 AM
Factotum 8/Warblade 12 is nice.

- Very int focused.
- Two strikes per round.
- Amazing skills.
- Adding INT to jump checks helps some tiger claw maneuvers.
- Adding Factotum level to Concentration checks makes you pass any save 1/day.

There is also nothing wrong with Factotum 19/x1

Requiem_Jeer
2014-09-04, 10:47 AM
I'd suggest going straight Factotum and picking up a stat/feat arrangement suitable to hitting things with pointy bits of metal.

ComaVision
2014-09-04, 10:48 AM
Throwing my vote in for Warblade 2/Factotum 8/Chameleon 10 (or maybe do Warblade a bit later for a higher Initator level but that won't make much difference if you need to have the "weapons master" on line for Level 5).

Obvious feats would be Able Learner and Font of Inspiration, Knowledge Devotion is not a bad choice.

The natural break points for Factotum are 3 for Brains over Brawn, or 8 for Cunning Surge (really worth it)

Talionis
2014-09-04, 02:02 PM
Factotum 1, Incarnate 4. Pick up Winter Mask (Totemist Soulmeld) as a feat and the Able Learner feat. You'll be able to do ridiculous things with Skills. Winter Mask is a good debuff if you hit opponents you can exhaust and fatigue them. Possibly move into Ironsoul Forgemaster (requires Dwarf, but has Adaption that allows for other races) allows you to craft your own weapons and armor and shields. I like Magic of Incarnum and its a good way to do Skillmonkey in a different way.