PDA

View Full Version : Odd question.......

Bellberith
2014-09-04, 01:01 AM
back in the dark ages.... was the concept of a cavity search for prisoners developed yet?

and yes, one of my players wants to smuggle an item into jail inside his pooper.

hymer
2014-09-04, 04:55 AM
May I suggest you treat this abstractly? As in, the player rolls sleight of hand to conceal an object about his person, while the guard opposes with a perception check, and nobody wants to know exactly how these things were accomplished? Mouth, hair, armpit, palming, hidden pockets, etc. are generally much preferable to the rather desperate act of concealing an object in your rectum, and a player going straight for that solution doesn't mean his PC is quite as likely to - the PC may well know better, or at least may learn better long before meeting an interested guard.
That said, I think that almost as far back as humans have had cavities, a strong desire to keep things unseen, and things that could possibly be transported in such a way, there have also been guards, sentinels and similar officials who also realized the implications of these possibilities - and how much humiliation such a search means. In fact, the first cavity search may well predate the first cavity smuggling. Social, personal and religious taboo, physical discomfort, health issues and general squeamishness can be factors pulling in the opposite direction.

TheOOB
2014-09-05, 01:39 AM
Intelligence(Investigation) vs Dexterity(Sleight of Hand) if the guard is actively searching, Wisdom(Perception) vs Dexterity(Sleight of Hand) if he is just looking and it's something that could be found without a search. The details are not necessary thankfully.

Kerilstrasz
2014-09-05, 09:04 AM
At the end, it s all about how much the head of the prison/guards is concerned about safety & what resources has in his disposal ...

Zone of Truth
2nd-level enchantment
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: 60 feet
Components: V, S
Duration: 10 minutes
You create a magical zone that guards against deception
in a 15-foot-radius sphere centered on a point o f your
choice within range. Until the spell ends, a creature
that enters the spell’s area for the first time on a turn
or starts its turn there must make a Charisma saving
throw. On a failed save, a creature can’t speak a
deliberate lie while in the radius. You know whether
each creature succeeds or fails on its saving throw.
An affected creature is aware o f the spell and can thus
avoid answering questions to which it would normally
respond with a lie. Such a creature can be evasive in
its answers as long as it remains within the boundaries
o f the truth.

"Do you,or anyone you know have anything on yourself that even by a longshot you shouldn't have?"
"Do you,or anyone you know plan anything that would be even by longshot illegal?"

So.. the level 3 cleric who is in payroll of the prison administrator or he is the head of the guard can almost every time have the answer (or at least know that something is "fishy" ).
As i said, it is on how much the head of the prison/guards is concerned about safety & what resources has in his disposal

hawklost
2014-09-05, 09:32 AM
At the end, it s all about how much the head of the prison/guards is concerned about safety & what resources has in his disposal ...

Zone of Truth
2nd-level enchantment
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: 60 feet
Components: V, S
Duration: 10 minutes
You create a magical zone that guards against deception
in a 15-foot-radius sphere centered on a point o f your
choice within range. Until the spell ends, a creature
that enters the spell’s area for the first time on a turn
or starts its turn there must make a Charisma saving
throw. On a failed save, a creature can’t speak a
deliberate lie while in the radius. You know whether
each creature succeeds or fails on its saving throw.
An affected creature is aware o f the spell and can thus
avoid answering questions to which it would normally
respond with a lie. Such a creature can be evasive in
its answers as long as it remains within the boundaries
o f the truth.

"Do you,or anyone you know have anything on yourself that even by a longshot you shouldn't have?"
"Do you,or anyone you know plan anything that would be even by longshot illegal?"

So.. the level 3 cleric who is in payroll of the prison administrator or he is the head of the guard can almost every time have the answer (or at least know that something is "fishy" ).
As i said, it is on how much the head of the prison/guards is concerned about safety & what resources has in his disposal

Yes and Yes.

There are problems with your questions.

Yes, I have something that by a longshot could be considered illegal to have. I have long hair, and I have heard that somewhere in a city far away that long hair for guys is illegal. Or I have food in my stomach that I think at some point might have been stolen because it was cheap and good and that seems odd.

Yes, I have plans that by a longshot would be considered illegal. I plan on going skinny dipping with my girl when I get out. I plan on insulting a guard because he is an ass. I plan to talk about prison escapes because I like to bull**** but it could be considered planning an escape. I plan to write an angry letter to the Warden complaining about all the crap you are giving me....

All of those could be considered illegal if you interpret the law in one way or another but none of those are illegal in the way you are meaning.

Kerilstrasz
2014-09-05, 09:49 AM
All of those could be considered illegal if you interpret the law in one way or another but none of those are illegal in the way you are meaning.

ok.. i failed to give a correct example of questions.. you can change them and this will work..

hawklost
2014-09-05, 09:55 AM
ok.. i failed to give a correct example of questions.. you can change them and this will work..

the problem is that the answers just have to be true. "Such a creature can be evasive in its answers as long as it remains within the boundaries of the truth."

That means as long as I only speak truth, I don't actually have to answer your questions. I am not compelled to answer them but if I specifically answers your questions I must speak truth. Another way to get around everything you ask is.

You: Ask any question whatsoever.

Me: Think of a completely different question in my head to ask myself. Answer my own question out loud in response to the mouth noises you made earlier. I am answering 100% truthfully a question, even if you do not get to hear the question.

MustacheFart
2014-09-05, 10:05 AM
the problem is that the answers just have to be true. "Such a creature can be evasive in its answers as long as it remains within the boundaries of the truth."

That means as long as I only speak truth, I don't actually have to answer your questions. I am not compelled to answer them but if I specifically answers your questions I must speak truth. Another way to get around everything you ask is.

You: Ask any question whatsoever.

Me: Think of a completely different question in my head to ask myself. Answer my own question out loud in response to the mouth noises you made earlier. I am answering 100% truthfully a question, even if you do not get to hear the question.

DO NOT USE ZONE OF TRUTH!

I hate that spell. I wish it was never created. I wish they would've gotten rid of it with 5th ed. All it does is kill roleplaying; nothing more.

I agree with the people above, keep it abstract. The player is most likely really wanting to sneak that item in which is why he's requesting such. If you don't mind if he sneaks it in then just give him advantage on the slight of hand roll or the guard disadvantage at finding it. There you go.

Beige
2014-09-05, 11:44 AM
DO NOT USE ZONE OF TRUTH!

I hate that spell. I wish it was never created. I wish they would've gotten rid of it with 5th ed. All it does is kill roleplaying; nothing more.

I agree with the people above, keep it abstract. The player is most likely really wanting to sneak that item in which is why he's requesting such. If you don't mind if he sneaks it in then just give him advantage on the slight of hand roll or the guard disadvantage at finding it. There you go.

I dunno. zone of truth can be fun for roleplaying if you run it like hawklost said. I can't lie, but I don't have to tell the truth :smallsmile:

MustacheFart
2014-09-05, 12:05 PM
I dunno. zone of truth can be fun for roleplaying if you run it like hawklost said. I can't lie, but I don't have to tell the truth :smallsmile:

Yeah, and typically the follow up to being evasive as he suggested is them getting angry that you're not answering the question and it just gets worse from there. There are skills for a reason.

CyberThread
2014-09-05, 03:38 PM
Clench your buttox roll. Add your dex to hide sAid item. Dc 20.

If opposing check beats dc 10 medicine skill cheeck. It counts as a prostate exam giving 10% discount on future medical bills.

rlc
2014-09-05, 03:50 PM
Clench your buttox roll. Add your dex to hide sAid item. Dc 20.

If opposing check beats dc 10 medicine skill cheeck. It counts as a prostate exam giving 10% discount on future medical bills.

I see your colonoscopy check and raise you a fart in your face saving throw

Mr.Moron
2014-09-05, 04:09 PM
...what exactly are they trying to smuggle? I mean depending what it is it could lead to issues (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6M17aG_Po2Y#t=46).

That aside, I can't imagine they'd be looking up the PCs bum. However they'd probably be keeping a close eye on them. Removing it without being seen is the real trick.

CyberThread
2014-09-05, 04:29 PM
Well make a deception check to see if yoy can make fake grunting noise while you use the waste bucket. Then make a stealth cheeck to hide the splash sound.

MustacheFart
2014-09-05, 04:42 PM
Well make a deception check to see if yoy can make fake grunting noise while you use the waste bucket. Then make a stealth cheeck to hide the splash sound.

Wouldn't the splash sound be expected given the act?

CyberThread
2014-09-05, 05:04 PM
Depends if it makes a metal thunk sound. Adjust the dc accordingly

HorridElemental
2014-09-05, 05:56 PM
I use Zone of Truth wen I want the PCs to know a NPC is telling the truth.

Or when a specifically want to make the roleplay about dodging my questions and the better they do the bigger their XP multiplier becomes.

SaintRidley
2014-09-05, 06:17 PM
No, they weren't, as far as we know.

Not that that should stop you from including them should you wish to. D&D has no business pretending to accurately portray the Middle Ages.

MadBear
2014-09-05, 06:25 PM
...what exactly are they trying to smuggle? I mean depending what it is it could lead to issues (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6M17aG_Po2Y#t=46).

That aside, I can't imagine they'd be looking up the PCs bum. However they'd probably be keeping a close eye on them. Removing it without being seen is the real trick.

I clicked on the link.

Why did I click on the link?

I know better.

You never ever click on the link.

Oh Man, Why did I click on the link.......

*shudder*

puremania
2014-09-05, 07:44 PM
http://handsomecitizens.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/pulp_fiction_watch.jpg

Logosloki
2014-09-05, 09:32 PM
I clicked on the link.

I know better.

*shudder*

It is the sounds isn't it? Rejected Family Learning Channel is the best.

Vowtz
2014-09-05, 11:59 PM
I clicked on the link.

I know better.

*shudder*
I'm not happy too.

:smallsigh::smallsigh:

LordVonDerp
2014-09-06, 09:01 AM
whether or not it would exist would depend on whether or not there was a reason for it to exist.
Maybe this guy is the first to try it.

HorridElemental
2014-09-06, 09:33 AM
Every time I see this thread I read it as Ood Question.

Naanomi
2014-09-06, 09:50 AM
At least as far back as Greek literature there were jokes being made about women having extra places to hide things compared to men so... I'd guess the idea of using such hiding places is at least that old historically; probably older.

Kerilstrasz
2014-09-06, 01:32 PM
Every time I see this thread I read it as Ood Question.

when i see this thread "Edward the Odd" comes to mind but i can't remember who that was... for some reason i just remember the name...

Mr.Moron
2014-09-06, 01:56 PM
when i see this thread "Edward the Odd" comes to mind but i can't remember who that was... for some reason i just remember the name...

He was a minor character in the Warcraft lore. Most folks probably remember the name from the baller world-drop epic mace bearing his name in vanilla.

Soras Teva Gee
2014-09-06, 02:01 PM
Did you know that in 3.5 a DC 80 Escape Artist check would allow for "getting through a space when one’s head shouldn’t even be able to fit" so with a really high skill check via use of things like Exemplar....

Anyways as the human(oid) body is as old as dirt I expect people have been trying to hide things in it for exactly that long. Therefore yes the guards might check, use something like a modified animal skin/intestine condom for the squeamish. Materials also used for tradtional condoms include oiled silk paper, linen, horn and tortoise shell.

However the guards may not be so professional as to bother with such matters, but also the prison may be as such that no item you'd be able to contain would be all that helpful. Why put locks on cells when you can barr them with a crossbeam instead?

Naanomi
2014-09-06, 02:37 PM
However the guards may not be so professional as to bother with such matters, but also the prison may be as such that no item you'd be able to contain would be all that helpful. Why put locks on cells when you can bar them with a crossbeam instead?
In a world where Wands exist (and are um... the... 'correct shape'); I would think people would be even *more* careful in searches.

Soras Teva Gee
2014-09-06, 02:46 PM
In a world where Wands exist (and are um... the... 'correct shape'); I would think people would be even *more* careful in searches.

Well 5E is far as we know fleeing the Adventuremart "magical economy" model like it has explosive diarrhea so even knowing that they exist in theory that this particular punk has a magical item much less hidden in a body cavity arguably wouldn't occur to your typical gaoler.

Context is everything of course.