PDA

View Full Version : Any way to erase memories?

ILM
2014-09-04, 09:00 AM
As the title asks. Requirements are: memories are longer than 5 min (can cover weeks) and maximum spell level is 7th (no Programmed Amnesia or Mindrape).

TeslaJr
2014-09-04, 09:04 AM
This (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Modify_Memory) might do what you want, but otherwise Mindrape and Programmed Amnesia are the only ways I know of doing that.

ILM
2014-09-04, 09:32 AM
Like I said, memories are longer than 5 minutes so Modify Memory can't handle them. :/

TeslaJr
2014-09-04, 09:37 AM
Like I said, memories are longer than 5 minutes so Modify Memory can't handle them. :/

Then I think you're SOL, sorry.

EDIT: See if your DM will allow a custom spell that does what you want.

Seclora
2014-09-04, 09:40 AM
Repeated castings of Limited Wish, maybe, if your DM likes you and wants you to succeed.

Personally, I suggest that you perform a Cognitive Reset, or brain surgery.

Miss Disaster
2014-09-04, 11:50 AM
The lowest level spell/power that has a correlation to this theme .... is Alibi. 1st level spell from Exemplars of Evil. It's sort of a more narrow use of the Modify Memory spell.

At lower levels, it's pretty nifty & effective for intrigue/infiltration/urban/stealth missions.

Telonius
2014-09-04, 12:10 PM
You might be able to get away with a Geas/Quest. Task: "If you ever find yourself wandering back to those memories, just repeat this story... (insert desired story here). Keep doing this until you believe that this story is the real memory, and you've forgotten your earlier thoughts."

afroakuma
2014-09-04, 12:58 PM
Depending on why you need it forgotten, you could have some fun with an old favorite of mine, forbidden speech, which prevents them from communicating about a subject forever.

Inevitability
2014-09-04, 01:40 PM
Does your GM want you to succeed? (or: would it move his plot forward?) Or is he lenient with spell use? This can mean a lot.

Also, if you are willing to sell your soul, making a fiendish pact to gain a 9th-level spellslot (fiendish codex) could already get you what you want.

Brookshw
2014-09-04, 01:40 PM
I believe there's a certain river that might help depending on the situation.

Psyren
2014-09-04, 01:49 PM
Force them to use a series of Thought Bottles. This is not perfect but they will forget details.

afroakuma
2014-09-04, 01:58 PM

I'm now picturing a hilarious spell that flips someone upside down, suspends them from a rope tied around the feet, and swings them through a planar rift so that their head dunks into the Styx for a few seconds.

Telonius
2014-09-04, 02:20 PM
Ice Bucket Challenge: Planar Edition! :smallbiggrin:

Phelix-Mu
2014-09-04, 03:07 PM

I once had a small flock of steelwings attack a high-level party along the banks of the Styx in Acheron.

Next session, the party had a small flock of new steelwing allies. Lesson learned.

ILM
2014-09-05, 02:51 AM
The lowest level spell/power that has a correlation to this theme .... is Alibi. 1st level spell from Exemplars of Evil. It's sort of a more narrow use of the Modify Memory spell.

At lower levels, it's pretty nifty & effective for intrigue/infiltration/urban/stealth missions.
I actually stumbled on this spell yesterday. Not going to fix my problem but actually seems really powerful. Instantaneous duration and automatic reshaping of memories to make it seem plausible that the target has already met you recently? I'm sure there has to be a way to abuse that :smallbiggrin:.

Anyway, thanks for the suggestions. I think I'll just try to make a Greater Modify Memory homebrew spell fly (level 6 or 7, same as normal except can affect CL days' worth of memories, taking a corresponding number of minutes to carry out?).

Sith_Happens
2014-09-05, 02:57 AM
I actually stumbled on this spell yesterday. Not going to fix my problem but actually seems really powerful. Instantaneous duration and automatic reshaping of memories to make it seem plausible that the target has already met you recently? I'm sure there has to be a way to abuse that :smallbiggrin:

I recently used it to... establish an alibi for a break-in I performed. Turns out it's good for that kind of thing.:smalltongue:

Ettina
2014-09-05, 06:05 PM

Is it possible to cast it repeatedly on the same person? Say, three casts to eliminate 15 minutes, or 12 casts to get rid of an hour?

You'd need a lot of free time and a pretty good guarantee of beating their Will save repeatedly. (Maybe combine it with Mind Fog (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Mind_Fog). Fail one Will save against Mind Fog and you can be pretty well guaranteed they'll fail all the other Will saves until the effect fades.)

Kraken
2014-09-05, 07:27 PM
As a roudabout solution, what about feeblemind or baleful polymorph? You can turn the subject into a gibbering idiot, or turn them into an animal and put them in a pasture for safekeeping.

2014-09-05, 07:54 PM
I'm now picturing a hilarious spell that flips someone upside down, suspends them from a rope tied around the feet, and swings them through a planar rift so that their head dunks into the Styx for a few seconds.

Great, now everyone else who read your is picturing it too. It's like an earworm, only for forums.

Alent
2014-09-05, 08:24 PM
If you're okay with a Pathfinder spell, here's a low level possibility:

You get a few scrolls or an item of Hidden Knowledge (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/h/hidden-knowledge) (Wiz 2), and you deceive or compulse your victim into using it to transfer the memory/memories in question into a tattoo. They have now forgotten the memories in question, and the tattoos may be dispelled normally to destroy them forever.

After that you just need to do one of the short term mindwipes to make them forget it happened if they were consciously aware of the process.