PDA

View Full Version : Original System MajiMonsters - Monster Catching RPG

Yrnes
2014-09-04, 09:20 AM
It’s been quite a while since I’ve actually made a post here (so long, in fact, my old avatar has become a broken jpeg, but thankfully I was able to substitute a sweet PaladinGuy in its place). I used to frequent these forums quite often to discuss strategy, tinker around with homebrew, and clarify rules. Lately I’ve been relegated to much more of a lurker, especially with the new edition of D&D in tow, but these boards and this comic has always had a place in my heart.

That’s why I wanted to introduce MajiMonsters (http://majimonsters.com/) here to start. You see, back in early 2012, my friends and I pondered why there wasn’t a Pokémon RPG (I know there’s a bunch of system mods and adaptations online, but we wanted to know why there wasn’t anything legit out there). So we basically sat down with some dice and paper, and started writing one from the ground up, and have been test-playing and revising it ever since.

Now, two and half years later, the game has grown into its own. What was once something analogous to Pokémon and the characters presented in the genre’s games and stories now has its own lore, its own characters, its own monsters, and its own appeal. We invited others to play, and we made changes based on their feedback. We looked at rpgs we liked and added elements that worked, added elements that were familiar, simplified mechanics that were getting too complex, refined combat and experience, and put everything we could into making the game and character creation process enjoyable. Before we knew it, we were staring at something that was totally unique- something we knew we wanted to share.

MajiMonsters (http://majimonsters.com/) is basically a homebrew that’s gone through all the ropes, and it’s a product we’d like to publish. We’re eyeballing a Kickstarter date in early January, so I realize September is awfully early to start talking about it. But here’s the deal- we’re in this for the long haul, and we know to be successful this has got to be something that appeals to everyone, not just our tastes. So I’m just dropping this link here just to gauge interest. If it’s something you think you’d like to play, or back, I’d encourage you to sign up on the mailing list or join the social networks linked there. If you have ideas, comments, or criticisms you’re more than welcome to share. If you’re not interested, or dislike it, I’m not offended. I know the monster-catching genre isn’t for everyone, and I’m not here to shill anything- but I truly appreciate any feedback you have!

Thanks guys!
Dan

Debihuman
2014-09-04, 11:58 AM
Did you create a brand new game system or is it based on the 3.5 OGL system?

Debby

Yrnes
2014-09-04, 12:42 PM
Did you create a brand new game system or is it based on the 3.5 OGL system?

Debby

The system is unique, but there will be familiar elements in mechanics to established role-players. Most of the game can be played with a handful of d6, but we are using other dice for different uses.

I realize after your reply that there's not much substanstive in terms of gameplay mechanics here... but that's intentional. We're keeping our cards pretty close to our chest until next year. For the time being, I was really just dropping this here for anyone that might be interested in this kind of game genre.

Hope that helps, and thanks for the question!

Dan

Debihuman
2014-09-04, 12:45 PM
Too bad it's not 3.5 OGL. I'm really not interested in unique systems any more. Good luck with your project.