PDA

View Full Version : Themed campaigns

ewoods
2014-09-04, 11:28 AM
I was hoping to get some opinions on an idea that I had. I run a weekly Pathfinder game at my local game shop and there has been a lot of interest in adding a second weekly game. I don't think I have the time to plan out two full campaigns, but I was thinking of doing some themed mini-series campaigns. 6-8 week campaigns with some kind of twist. For example, there could be a campaign where every player has to play a race of size Tiny or smaller, like rats and hawks. Or a campaign where the whole party has to be all the same class.

So I'm wondering, does this kind of thing sound like fun to anyone else? Any ideas for other potential themes? As the DM, any suggestions for making it enjoyable? I thought since they'd be short campaigns I should start everyone at maybe 8th or 10th level. Any input at all is greatly appreciated.

Kol Korran
2014-09-04, 04:56 PM
Themed mini campaigns sound quite cool actually, but make sure the players know what they are getting to. They require less preparation, and if the idea is interesting enough, it could work quite nicely. I would suggest to start at level 5-6 though, not 8-10. It's called "the sweet spot" for a reason- still vulnerable enough, but with enough options. Levels 8-10 can take more time getting accustomed to, which can be problematic. The main thing in short mini campaigns is that deaths are usually far mroe acceptable and common. Failure should be a real possibility. Up the challenge!

Some ideas for mini campaigns:
- Several kinds of mysteries: You awaken with no memory, but with some curse/ ailment/ magical poison that will kill you in a limited time. Time to find out who you are, and how to stay alive. Or a good old murder mystery.
- Treasure hunt! The party race against some other teams to get to some treasure/ goal first.
- The siege: The PCs are protecting some local (perhaps with the help of some others) from hordes of incoming lesser enemies. Each session is faces one wave, with the waves increasing. Can the fort hold till reinforcements arrive?
- The emperor's court: The players play people on the emperor's court. Put in intrigues, scheming, all around a central goal, such as who will inherit the dying emperor, who will be his next wife, or the fate of some region.
- The heist! The PCs need to get something out of a highly secure location, and just bashing their way though won't do the job. Works nicely for a small thieves' guild for example.

Hope this helps!