PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Aboleth's Lung - Rule Clarification

Nibbens
2014-09-04, 12:08 PM
So, am I crazy or is this pretty much a 2nd level insta-death spell for anyone hit by this?

Aboleth's Lung
(http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/a/aboleth-s-lung)

I mean, I'm crazy, right? They wouldn't make an oversight this big, would they? I get it, it's supposed to be used on friendly targets - but no where does it say that it can only be used this way. Being 3d level to cast it, it lasts for three hours. I know no one who can hold their breath that long. Used in combat, all of a sudden a person starts suffocating and dies. Even if they succeed on a spell-craft of knowledge Arcane check to identify the spell, they will immediately have to find a large enough body of water to go breath into before they die.

mostlyharmful
2014-09-04, 12:16 PM
If there's a mix up I can't find it, seems to be exactly what you think it is... second level touch save-or-die in most places.... :smallyuk: houserule it to willing only and you/re fine.

Kurald Galain
2014-09-04, 12:34 PM
Yes, it's pretty silly.

There are two caveats, though. First, it's a racial spell (meaning you'll need GM permission, and can't use it in PFS). Second, the average enemy can hold his breath in combat for 10 rounds (which rather limits this spell's usefulness during battle).

Still, pretty silly, and should be a high on any GM's ban list.

MightyPirate
2014-09-04, 01:57 PM
Note that it also has the three things you really don't want on squishy caster type spells. Touch ranged, save allowed, and spell resistance are all bad and as Kurald Galain says it's very slow at killing enemies. If you or your opponent who's now trying to kill you can't finish the job in the 10 rounds it takes to finish them with this spell then something is very wrong. Create Water is a common Orison which can counter this exceedingly rare spell. It's obnoxious in the hands of an npc who can ruin your day even if you win the fight but in a PC's hands this is probably not going to break your typical campaign.

Dorian Gray
2014-09-04, 04:24 PM
I remember that in D&D there is an alchemical substance called aboleth mucus, which acted like a contact poison (but wasn't, so no cure poison)- on a failed save, the victim lost the ability to breathe air for 3 hours.

The save DC was 19. It cost 20 gp.:smalleek:

Perhaps the spell is a homage to that.

Psyren
2014-09-04, 05:00 PM
Yeah it should be willing.

As for touch range, Spectral Hand or Gravewalker Witch could get pretty nasty with this.