PDA

View Full Version : *Curious* Are there any half-orc prestige classes out there?

Kantolin
2007-03-08, 10:42 PM
I glanced in the Races of Destiny and found two: one for a half-orc Thug, and one that really seems more geared towards half-elves.

Are there any prestige classes for half-orcs? I'd greatly prefer it if they weren't like the Eye of Gruumsh or sommat... but I can't seem to find very many.

Alternately, are there any other half-orc racial substitution levels? The ones in said Races of Destiny seemed mildly interesting, at best.

Half-orcs need more love.

To go list thus far:

Prestige Classes:
War Chieftain (Races of Faerun)
Half-Orc Paragon (Unearthed Arcana)
The two in the Races of Destiny

Affiliation: Bloodfist Tribe (PHB2)

Jade_Tarem
2007-03-09, 12:49 AM
Complete Warrior, Eye of Grumnsh Prestige class comes to mind.

Or maybe that's explicitly for orcs. I bet you could do it with a half orc too.

TheOOB
2007-03-09, 01:16 AM
Well, half-orcs have the orc blood class feature which makes them qualify for any classes orcs qualify for.

Miles Invictus
2007-03-09, 01:17 AM
Are there any prestige classes for half-orcs? I'd greatly prefer it if they weren't like the Eye of Gruumsh or sommat... but I can't seem to find very many.

Complete Warrior, Eye of Grumnsh Prestige class comes to mind.

Quoted for my own personal amusement. :smalltongue:

It's not a prestige class, but the Player's Handbook II has a kick-ass affiliation exclusively for half-orcs. High-ranking members of the Bloodfist Tribe get inherent bonuses to Intelligence and Charisma, as well as Cold Resistance.

cupkeyk
2007-03-09, 01:50 AM
There is a war chieftain prestige class in races of faerun. Let's you use str instead of cha for determining your leadership rating, doubles your followers and lets you give all half orcs in the area around you the rage ability.

purple gelatinous cube o' Doom
2007-03-09, 02:41 AM
the only one I know of that's orc speficicis Eye of Gruumsh.

Hario
2007-03-09, 03:21 AM
There is the Half- Orc Paragon from Unearthed Arcana, That's the only one ringing in my head righ now...

TheOOB
2007-03-09, 03:22 AM
Technically Paragon classes arn't prestige classes.

There might be a few in races of destiny.

Kantolin
2007-03-09, 03:32 AM
Specifically aiming for not the Eye of Gruumsh, and I explicitly have seen the races of destiny, but thanks everyone for responding thus far. :P

There's gotta be a few more out there... I'll accept affiliations and paragon classes, but man.

Speaking of which, what's the general opinion on the racial substitution classes in the RoD? They seem amusing, but not that exciting.

AtomicKitKat
2007-03-09, 04:39 AM
You count as both Human and Orc for the purposes of qualifying for stuff, I think. Might be "DM Option" though.

Jack Mann
2007-03-09, 04:57 AM
No, half-orcs don't count as humans for qualifying for feats or prestige classes. They have to take a special feat to count as human. Orc-blooded tends to be more of a bane than a boon, since it means that orcbane and favored enemy (orc) bonuses count against you. So far as I'm aware, there are no items that are specifically made for orcs, and, as we've seen here, damned few prestige classes. There are so many reasons half-orcs are underpowered.

Kantolin
2007-03-09, 05:04 AM
*Sigh*

Through every book I've seen, there's one orc-only weapon. Requires you to be an evil cleric, in the A&E (So it's 3.0, although it may be in the magic item compendium and thus obselete)

And if the orcs... who tend to be not spellcasters, extremely chaotic, and evil to the point where they tend to quabble with each other, ever made a weapon that only orcs could use, uh... you could use it.

...Yeah, orcblood is a penalty. Oh well, maybe there's more things I haven't noticed, like potentially the races of faerun bit.

BlueWizard
2007-03-09, 06:48 AM
Any of the barbarian type ones work great.

tetsubo
2007-03-09, 08:50 AM
There is a scout type class in Sliver Marshes. I do not exactly remeber what its called, Orc Scout I think, Its been awhile since I have looked at it. All I remeber its one of the few prestige class that sounded worth while for me.

Darrin
2007-03-09, 10:00 AM

There's a couple good ones.

Battle Howler of Gruumsh (DR #311) is a good one for Bard/Barbarian gishes. (Use the Magic-Blooded racial template to boost Cha.)

3.0 material:

Orc Blademaster (DR #299) is interesting (based on a WoW class, I think?) if you're into Bastard Swords and Whirlwind attack.

Orc Scout (Silver Marches p. 144) is... eh.

Orc Warlord (Races of Faerun, p. 184), not familiar with this one, looks like it focuses on buffing the Leadership feat.

There are Half-Orc racial substitutions for Barbarian, Druid, and Paladin (Races of Destiny pp. 159-160).

Kantolin
2007-03-09, 03:32 PM
What is 'DR'? That's not a book I'm familiar with.

I am now aware that Races of Faerun is 3.0... pity. Oh well, I suppose I can convert it without much trouble. Orc Warlord seems pseudo-interesting... sucks to be the good half-orc.

Ooh, well. Looking like homebrew is the way to go. Thanks for the assorted classes, though, I'll look into them when I can access the books.

ampcptlogic
2007-03-09, 03:36 PM
I think DR is supposed to mean Dragon Magazine. Or Dale Reckoning.

Ashlan
2007-03-11, 08:25 AM
There are Menacing Brute and Outcast Champion from Races of Destiny too.

Kantolin
2007-03-11, 03:14 PM
Ah. Sadly, then, I don't have access to that particular source.

And from the looks of things, I suppose I'll have to go with homebrew. Oh well... thanks anyway, all. ^_^ If nothing else, this is a convienient list of what little there is for a half-orc.

Sturmjaeger
2007-03-11, 03:46 PM
There's Duraak'ash from Dragonblooded.