PDA

View Full Version : Sanctum Spell, StP Erudite, and 9th level spells

TeslaJr
2014-09-04, 01:17 PM
Can Sanctum Spell allow a StP Erudite to learn 9th level spells? It's this line
the spell has an effective spell level 1 lower than normal. All effects dependent on spell level (including save DCs) are calculated according to the adjusted level.

that makes me think it's possible, but I wanted to make sure. To clarify, if a StP Erudite were to go out and find a wizard (that was outside of his sanctuary) that had a Sanctum Time Stop , would the StPE be able to learn Time Stop?

HaikenEdge
2014-09-04, 01:21 PM
Can Sanctum Spell allow a StP Erudite to learn 9th level spells? It's this line

that makes me think it's possible, but I wanted to make sure. To clarify, if a StP Erudite were to go out and find a wizard (that was outside of his sanctuary) that had a Sanctum Time Stop , would the StPE be able to learn Time Stop?

By strict RAW, no, because the spell's actual level hasn't changed.

In reality, the StPE would already have Temporal Acceleration anyways, and would have likely had it since level 13 anyways.

TeslaJr
2014-09-04, 01:54 PM
I just used Time Stop as an example.

Zanos
2014-09-04, 02:06 PM
By strict RAW, no, because the spell's actual level hasn't changed.
Strict RAW says that "All effects dependent on spell level (including save DCs) are calculated according to the adjusted level."

HaikenEdge
2014-09-04, 02:09 PM
Strict RAW says that "All effects dependent on spell level (including save DCs) are calculated according to the adjusted level."

A spell's level, however, is not an effect.

Rebel7284
2014-09-04, 02:22 PM
It's still a 9th level spell prepared in a 9th level slot. When you are actually casting it, it may act as a lower or higher level spell. However, Erudites take the spell from the target's mind as opposed to copy its casting.