PDA

View Full Version : Doctor WHO?

atemu1234
2014-09-04, 03:46 PM
What build would work best for the Doctor on the namesake show? 3.5 or 3e would be preferred, as would first party, but interesting builds using PF or 3rd party materials are OK. No homebrew, please...

Phelix-Mu
2014-09-04, 03:48 PM
This has been done a million times. I believe that Piggy Knowles may have been responsible for a particularly well-received build.

I hosted a thread a while back that did some stuff for the 50th anniversary. Didn't really catch on like I'd hoped, but it pulled together a few links to older stuff.

Nettlekid
2014-09-04, 03:55 PM
People tend to say a lot of Factotum for that "can do a little of everything" style. I would start with that and go into Ardent Dilettante, since that class is all about experiencing new things and desiring to appreciate the beauty of the world, which seems to fit with the Doctor. Also the capstone is that Raise Dead and such don't take a level off when you come back to life, which seems to go perfectly with his regenerations.

Psyren
2014-09-04, 04:54 PM
Expert with a Timelord template (for the self-rez) and his suite of toys. (Blue box, psychic paper, and of course the screwdriver.)

Xerlith
2014-09-04, 05:04 PM
I'd say a Changeling Factotum 20 with high Dex and Int, abysmal Wis and mediocre Charisma.

Graft: Silthilar Heart. Remember, he can be killed when he's regenerating.

Alternatively, Changeling Rogue 2/Artificer 18.
Craft Contingent Spell: True Resurrection.

Doc_Maynot
2014-09-04, 05:15 PM
I built one as part of the antiparty to an evil party. They were just a Psionic Artificer

Piggy Knowles
2014-09-04, 05:43 PM
Here is a build I've suggested elsewhere:

OK, here's my thought:

Half-elf (human heritage per Races of Destiny sidebar), Bard 1/Artificer 2/Factotum 3/Death Delver 10/Ardent Dilettante 4

Flaw: Noncombatant, (any other)

1. Factotum1- Able Learner, Wedded to History, Nymph's Kiss
Inspiration, cunning insight, cunning knowledge, trapfinding
2. Bard1-
Bardic music, bardic knowledge, soothing voice, inspire awe, fascinate
3. Artificer1- Scribe Scroll, Item Familiar
Artificer knowledge, artisan bonus, disable trap, item creation, craft reserve 20
4. Artificer2- Brew Potion
Craft reserve 40
5. Factotum2-
Arcane dilettante (1 spell)
6. Factotum3- Heroic Destiny
Brains over brawn, cunning defense
7. Death Delver1-
Deathsense, rebuke undead
8. Death Delver2-
Deadened soul, spontaneous casting
9. Death Delver3- Fearless Destiny
Death ward 1/day
10. Death Delver4- Diehard
11. Death Delver5-
Fear aura
12. Death Delver6- Healing Devotion
Death ward 2/day
13. Death Delver7-
Cheat death
14. Death Delver8-
Mantle of life
15. Death Delver9- Run
Death ward 3/day
16. Death Delver10-
Nine lives
17. Ardent Dilettante1-
Heightened senses, lore
18. Ardent Dilettante2- Font of Inspiration
Enthrall
19. Ardent Dilettante3-
Joie de vivre
20. Ardent Dilettante4- Font of Inspiration
Sense Link

Item Familiar:
"Sonic Screwdriver" - Heavily invest UMD and maybe Open Lock into this. Enchant it with knock, some fun detection-style spells and possibly mage hand and prestidigitation.

For your own skill ranks, Diplomacy, Bluff, UMD, Perform (technobabble), Perform (stirring speech about the nature of humanity), and a lot of knowledge skills. Maybe some craft here and there, but a permanent item of magecraft would do just as well.

For some interesting abilities...

"No, seriously, stop trying to kill me while I talk at you for a while." - Soothing Voice. Make a diplomacy check to instill calm emotions on an enemy. Because the doctor needs to have room to talk, dangit.

"I'm the Doctor, and you're in the biggest library in the universe. Look me up." - Inspire Awe, fear aura. Suddenly the enemies realized you're actually a terrible Time Lord and that you're about to do something unspeakable to them. A fear aura you can turn on, and you can more or less extend it as long as you keep talking by combining it with Inspire Awe.

Immortal - Wedded to History. You're not only immortal, you're one of a kind. You could have a starring role in every history book ever written...

Sonic Screwdriver - You've got a screwdriver that can open just about anything, operate any magical technological device, move things from afar, cause sparks, etc.

Brains Over Brawn - OK, you're not big and strong. But dang you're smart, and Brains over brawn means you add your Intelligence bonus to all Strength, Dex or Con checks.

Hard to Kill - Dang, you're pretty hard to kill. Death Ward means a lot of things simply don't effect you. Your inspiration points and Heroic Destiny give you even more defenses. And once each day when something DOES actually reduce you to -10 or below HP, Fearless Destiny kicks in and you instead are set at -9 HP. Oh yeah, and then Healing Devotion gives you fast healing.

Many Regenerations - OK, Fearless Destiny has been used for the day, or someone zaps you with a death ray. What now, big man? Oh, nothing much, just scratch off a life from the Doctor's Nine Lives ability. Combine with a Hat of Disguise and a funny accent for a total change. Maybe this time you've got a North accent - plenty of planets have a North!

"Aren't mind melds a Vulcan thing?" - Clairaudience/clairvoyance, sense link and various other spells let you see into the minds, and through the eyes, of others.

Absorbing Damage, Drinking Poison, etc. - Death Delver spells. They're not flashy, but rather are all defensive in nature and let you gain protection from energy, or neutralize poison, or whatever.

Juryrigging - Sometimes the Doctor needs to make items do things they were never intended to do. No problem for you, just use your artificer infusions and your pimped out UMD scores to do just that. Bonus points for the Spell Storing Item infusion to give things really silly powers.

Superhuman Sensation - You've got scent, and all your other senses are heightened.

Joie de vivre - Sometimes you can be down about all the things you've done in your long and storied past, but your lust for life inspires such hope in others. No, seriously, it does - you inspire others as though by a good hope spell.

Run - Trust me. Run.

Also, I believe the Doctor's intelligence would make a lot of sense as the result of several reincarnations. You keep your mental stats but get new physical stats when you reincarnate, so if the Doctor aged to middle age or old age, then reincarnated into a new body, he'd retain the mental stat bonuses but lose the physical penalties. Do that five or six times and you've got a character with some pretty impressive mental scores...

Phelix-Mu
2014-09-04, 05:49 PM
Yeah. That's the build I was talking about. Pretty much /thread.