PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Help with Runestaves

Bad Wolf
2014-09-04, 05:30 PM
In my current campaign, I'm playing a Chaotic Neutral Sorcerer 6/Heartwarder 2/Shadowcaster 8 gestalt. I've decided to get my character a runestaff. So I'm asking you guys, what would be the best runestaff for my character? Also, my DM is allowing me to use up a mystery of the same level to fuel it.

Current Spell List:

0-Ghost Sound
Unnerving Gaze
Resistance
Arcane Mark
Prestidigitation
Electric Jolt
No Light
Daze

1-Ray of Enfeeblement
Magic Missile
Cheat
True Strike
Color Spray

2-Acid Arrow
Wings of Cover
Alter Self

3-Phantom Horse
Magic Circle Against Evil

4-Wings of Flurry

I have 18300 gp to spend. Thanks for the help :smallsmile:

bjoern
2014-09-04, 05:52 PM
In my current campaign, I'm playing a Chaotic Neutral Sorcerer 6/Heartwarder 2/Shadowcaster 8 gestalt. I've decided to get my character a runestaff. So I'm asking you guys, what would be the best runestaff for my character? Also, my DM is allowing me to use up a mystery of the same level to fuel it.

Current Spell List:

0-Ghost Sound
Unnerving Gaze
Resistance
Arcane Mark
Prestidigitation
Electric Jolt
No Light
Daze

1-Ray of Enfeeblement
Magic Missile
Cheat
True Strike
Color Spray

2-Acid Arrow
Wings of Cover
Alter Arrow

3-Phantom Horse
Magic Circle Against Evil

4-Wings of Cover

I have 18300 gp to spend. Thanks for the help :smallsmile:

I assume you mean Wings of Flurry at level 4.
For a sorcerer the best runestaff spells are the ones that fit one or more of the following criteria:
1. Scale by level (to use your CL)
2. only need to be cast 1/day
3. Have good versatility /utility but don't always need them.

Spells that I like are Mage Armor, Primal Senses, Rope Trick, Alter Self /Polymorph,

With 18,300 to spend I'd do this:

Celerity 3/day : 6400gp
Polymorph 3/day: 3200gp
Black Tentacles 3/day: 3200gp
Orb of Force 3/day: 3200gp
Rope Trick 1/day: 400gp
Alter Self 2/day: 600gp
Invisibility 1/day: 400gp
Glitter dust 2/day: 600gp
Grease 2/day: 150gp
Mage Armor 2/day: 150gp

Total 18,300

You could probably drop Black Tentacles and Orb of Force to 2/day to make some more room for lower level spells that are good.

Runestaves benefit sorcerers more than any other class.

Asrrin
2014-09-04, 06:19 PM
Grab the Ancestral Relic feat and have ALL THE SPELLS!

bjoern
2014-09-04, 06:21 PM
Grab the Ancestral Relic feat and have ALL THE SPELLS!

Yeah. Ancestral relic is a good choice. Never leave loot behind again

Bad Wolf
2014-09-04, 06:29 PM
Thanks for the help, but my character is Chaotic Neutral, and thus can't take Ancestral Relic.

Thanks for your suggestion bjoern. I already have alter self, and I'm a Half-Fey, which means I get Glitterdust as a SLA. But thank you, I'll just switch those two for something else.

bjoern
2014-09-04, 06:36 PM
Thanks for the help, but my character is Chaotic Neutral, and thus can't take Ancestral Relic.

Thanks for your suggestion bjoern. I already have alter self, and I'm a Half-ey, which means I get Glitterdust as a SLA. But thank you, I'll just switch those two for something else.

There's a lot ALOT of good 1st 2nd and 3rd level spells.

Its worth looking into shaving down some uses on the 4th level spells to grab a few lower level ones. Reducing even one level 4 spell from 3/day to 2/day would free up 1600gp. Thats enough for 4- different 2nd level spells 1/day.

For my current character, my rune staff isn't a weapon, its my swiss army knife with a bunch of useful spells 1/day. Stuff not wortha sorcerer wasting a spell know in but still a good spell.

Here's a good list of spells worth checking out
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?104002-3-5e-The-Logic-Ninja-s-Guide-to-Wizards-Being-Batman

Bad Wolf
2014-09-05, 02:22 AM
Thanks for the help.