PDA

View Full Version : I Wana Be an Elemental!

Ruethgar
2014-09-04, 09:05 PM
I found this spell (https://www.wizards.com/dnd/article.asp?x=dnd/sb/sb20011109a) and cackled with glee at the poor wording. So with a single level 3 wizard spell you can be an elemental, gaining immunity to poison, sleep, paralysis, stunning, critical hits, flanking and resurrection at the cost of all of your racial abilities and your previously heroic stats. Would this be too powerful/abusable or is the stat and HD loss(you technically lose all class levels since "as detailed below" includes none) a significant enough drawback?

Edit: The Rashemi elemental templates would make the int a bit more viable.

Lightlawbliss
2014-09-04, 09:36 PM
I found this spell (https://www.wizards.com/dnd/article.asp?x=dnd/sb/sb20011109a) and cackled with glee at the poor wording. So with a single level 3 wizard spell you can be an elemental, gaining immunity to poison, sleep, paralysis, stunning, critical hits, flanking and resurrection at the cost of all of your racial abilities and your previously heroic stats. Would this be too powerful/abusable or is the stat and HD loss(you technically lose all class levels since "as detailed below" includes none) a significant enough drawback?

Edit: The Rashemi elemental templates would make the int a bit more viable.

casting a lvl 3 wizard spell to become a tiny elemental sounds like a terrible trade to me, especially since it doesn't have an advancement line (aka, no leveling up). Also, the spell only gives the ability to revert a familiar. It is a great spell if all you want is to spend the rest of your existence as a cr 1/2 tiny elemental (assuming the DM doesn't houserule)

With a box
2014-09-04, 09:54 PM
It don't say that target must be your familier, just not on someone else's familier
You can use it random housecat or sleeping commoner

Ruethgar
2014-09-05, 02:09 AM
A non-dispellable Baleful Polymorph at near half the level.

Khedrac
2014-09-05, 06:43 AM
A non-dispellable Baleful Polymorph at near half the level.
With a 500 xp cost...

That said because it is "Harmless (Will Negates)" unconscious targets won't get a save which they would with Baelful Polymorph...

Flickerdart
2014-09-05, 10:46 AM
With a 500 xp cost...

That said because it is "Harmless (Will Negates)" unconscious targets won't get a save which they would with Baelful Polymorph...
No, that's not how it works.

Unconscious targets are considered willing when a spell can only be used on a willing subject. They are still allowed to save against spells that offer a saving throw. Harmless spells receive no special dispensation regarding this fact; an unconscious creature can still choose whether or not to save against them.

Khedrac
2014-09-05, 10:54 AM
Oops - thanks for that correction...

Ferronach
2014-09-05, 12:07 PM
Druids can become elementals at 16th (iirc) level... they get all the bonuses but none of the down sides as I recall...

Alternatively, you could just get a bedsheet and cut eyeholes in it, cast fireshield (or simmilar) on it and permanence the spell. Cast fly on yourself and act like a fire elemental/flaming ghost for the rest of the campaign XD.

atemu1234
2014-09-05, 04:37 PM
I'm glad someone else noticed that spell, too. I used it slightly differently.

I had a PC whose significant other was dying from a magical disease, and no one could save her. He cast this spell on her and it became the point of his character to level up until he could cast wish and turn her back.

Granted, if he knew a cleric, Cure Disease would've saved her. But the DM said they were too far away from anyone who could cast it to get to in time. So it became a character goal. It turned out... interestingly.