PDA

View Full Version : Old Ways OOC IV

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4

Frivolous
2015-03-15, 11:31 AM
Pardon me for possibly nagging, Roland, but did anyone lose any wealth?

Roland St. Jude
2015-03-15, 03:07 PM
Pardon me for possibly nagging, Roland, but did anyone lose any wealth?
Thanks for reminding me, and no one lost any wealth. Apparently the cost is to open the portal not to walk through it.

Frivolous
2015-03-17, 03:06 PM
Roland, is there any way for a spellcaster to tell if someone is casting real magic or is just a total phony and just pretending?

I mean, presumably someone who is human and wears armor and carries a sword -isn't- a cleric or an elf or a magic-user, but is it possible for a fighter who wields, for example, a mace to masquerade as a cleric?

Roland St. Jude
2015-03-17, 09:38 PM
Roland, is there any way for a spellcaster to tell if someone is casting real magic or is just a total phony and just pretending?

I mean, presumably someone who is human and wears armor and carries a sword -isn't- a cleric or an elf or a magic-user, but is it possible for a fighter who wields, for example, a mace to masquerade as a cleric?One can try. :smallsmile: That's kind of the ethos of this edition. If you have any skills or anything in your background that might help, factor that in, but in general, it's up to DM judgment.

Frivolous
2015-03-18, 12:34 PM
Hmm, thanks, Roland.

By the way, I just now noticed that the Spider clerics we captured did not have any blunt weapons at all. One had a spear, and the other had a dagger.

I am not sure what to infer from that.

Koren n'Rhys
2015-03-18, 02:33 PM
Hm. Good catch, Frivolous. I hadn't noticed that. Interesting indeed, and I don't expect Roland will say a word to enlighten us. :smallsmile:

Nevaera
2015-03-22, 12:39 PM
Huh, good point. But they did have spells. I'm not familiar enough with this editions rules and I'm not currently planning to go research them - I suppose it'd be meta-game-ish of me to do so anyways. XD

Nevaera
2015-03-24, 11:23 PM
Here is my save Vs. spell DC 14: [roll0]

Frivolous
2015-03-25, 03:50 AM
Roland, can Athos catch two clerics with the wand of paralyzation from his current position? He'll probably hit Bran, too, but Bran does not count right now, since he is already held.

Also, I'm figuring the Spider clerics don't follow the usual rules. Not one of them seems to use a blunt weapon. Weird.

Koren n'Rhys
2015-03-25, 07:44 AM
Well crap, that didn't go well.

Roland, since Mycah isn't directly engaged yet, is he able to use his bow for at least one more round, or is he already "in melee" since he's in the doorway? If he needs to switch to his sword, he'll be all but useless due to the strength loss.

Frivolous
2015-03-25, 09:03 AM
It went better than it could have. The spell that forced a save versus Spells without penalty might have been something much nastier than Hold Person. Though I cannot figure out what it was. Not many offensive cleric spells work at a distance.

Koren n'Rhys
2015-03-25, 10:40 AM
True, but that doesn't make this nay easier now. Still facing a number of priests (3, I think, including the boss) plus that hulking warrior. And us missing two fighters now? Ack. Mycah is squishy and not happy. :smallannoyed:

Roland St. Jude
2015-03-26, 12:33 AM
Roland, can Athos catch two clerics with the wand of paralyzation from his current position? He'll probably hit Bran, too, but Bran does not count right now, since he is already held.If he closes to the position where only Brandon and the room ahead is in front of him, the cone is too narrow to catch both. He could aim it left and try to catch the three on that side of the room, but he doesn't know about two of them right now.

Also, I'm figuring the Spider clerics don't follow the usual rules. Not one of them seems to use a blunt weapon. Weird.Chaotics aren't big rule followers. :smallamused:

Roland, since Mycah isn't directly engaged yet, is he able to use his bow for at least one more round, or is he already "in melee" since he's in the doorway? If he needs to switch to his sword, he'll be all but useless due to the strength loss.The priest attacking Brandon is in melee range, so bow would be ineffective. The other targets in the room are still valid bow targets, though.

Kish
2015-03-26, 06:56 AM
(Aditi is invisible, so unfortunately Athos can't take his position into account).
Her position.

Koren n'Rhys
2015-03-26, 08:13 AM
Bleh! My attack rolls are not going well this time... :smalleek:

Matthew
2015-03-27, 10:20 AM
Man, oh man, what a time to roll a one!

Koren n'Rhys
2015-03-27, 11:07 AM
It appears our luck is failing us on this one, doesn't it!

Roland St. Jude
2015-03-28, 11:52 PM
Things do seem on a razor's edge!

Frivolous
2015-03-29, 12:38 AM
Matthew: Nathros needs to save twice. Once versus Cause Fear and once versus Hold Person.

Matthew
2015-03-29, 12:49 AM
I blame you. :smallyuk:

Frivolous
2015-03-29, 12:51 AM
Drat. Yeah, I feel bad now. :smallbiggrin:

Gwendol
2015-03-30, 01:58 AM
Remind me: do saves roll high for success? In that case I may have passed mine. Can I then hope to catch the priest leader (and hopefully a couple of acolytes) in a web? How high is the ceiling in this room?

Koren n'Rhys
2015-03-30, 07:57 AM
Yes, it's roll high, so you passed. At least someone did. This will get very interesting now...

Gwendol
2015-03-30, 08:18 AM
Sooo, I'm the bastion of fortitude holding back the tidal wave of total defeat? I think there are a few NPC's left as well, but no, we're not doing very well at the moment.

Gwendol
2015-04-01, 03:28 AM
Roland, I am waiting for some clarification about the current battlefield to better know what to do next.

Roland St. Jude
2015-04-01, 10:58 AM
The room is fifteen feet deep, twenty-some feet wide, and about twenty feet high. The archway into the room is much like the mural archways above, more like twelve feet tall and several feet wide. The door inside the room, on the wall to the party's left seems similar, for those in a position to see it.

Nevaera
2015-04-01, 04:09 PM
Well, Murray is fine. He ran off in pursuit of Ashala. XP And thank goodness, too. Neither of them had to resist the hold spell.
I'm not sure if Penny and Neela succeeded in their saves or not.
And Aditi is free to roam with a bag full of tricks (bag of holding - many random items within - would require crafty thinking to utilize though).

That leaves Athos - yes. He at least has sleep and web and a wand plus another wand yet to be identified. Maybe he can catch two with a sleep spell - even if it only works on one. Or a web could potentially slow any attempts to harm or slice and dice all the stifflies.
Though, I'd recommend leaving precisely after casting until something can be done about the runaway fighters. :P (they need to return pretty much now XD ).

Hopefully Neela or Penny will fight off the magic and help on the casting front enough to help neutralize the remaining three enemies. Maybe Aditi can use some oil and surprise those guys by bringing on the heat unexpectedly. X)

Gwendol
2015-04-02, 03:44 AM
Ok, web is cast. As I said IC, it is a good idea to torch those caught in it as they take 1-6 damage. Presumably they may also catch fire?

Frivolous
2015-04-02, 12:05 PM
Why torch the webs immediately? Why not play for time?

Frivolous
2015-04-02, 01:14 PM
Roland, may I ask if this game is amenable to PCs attacking or killing each other?

I ask because I am not sure how to react either OOC or IC to Aditi's stated intention to stab Bran.

Kish
2015-04-02, 01:16 PM
OOC, she wasn't serious.

IC, of course, Bran can think she is.

Frivolous
2015-04-02, 01:44 PM
I get paranoid and depressed when I feel threatened.

Nevaera
2015-04-02, 03:04 PM
Why torch the webs immediately? Why not play for time?
I agree. We need to regroup and use the time the Web has bought us before using the flames against them.

OOC, she wasn't serious.

IC, of course, Bran can think she is.

I get paranoid and depressed when I feel threatened.

Yeah, it was like a "If he dies, I'll be bummed. If he lives, I can lecture him later or yell at him for endangering himself and possible everyone else as well." or "If we survive this, I'm gonna give him what-for later, but let's just focus on living for now." That kind of thing. Like the TV shows and movies. "You'd better live so I can kill(punish/yell at) you later" - it's not usually intended as literal. Very much a common paraphrase.
Hope that helps.

---

Roland, Ash was mentioned to be Feared for 2 rounds, right? So that should be done now then? Won't need Petra's shield's help I figure then.

:smallsmile:

Kish
2015-04-02, 03:08 PM
Unfortunately, Roland said two turns. In this edition, a "turn" is ten rounds, meaning that if she doesn't use the shield to dispel the fear she has eighteen rounds of running left.

Frivolous
2015-04-02, 03:22 PM
Web lasts for 48 turns.

Sleep lasts for 4-16 turns.

Kish
2015-04-02, 03:29 PM
Eight hours of web: Possible impending near-total party kill averted, if they stay stuck and we don't free them while they're alive.

Nevaera
2015-04-02, 06:57 PM
Oooh, ouch. Alright, that sounds like it's the only sensible option for her then.
She'll call upon Petra's power to free her from her frightful flee. :P

(thanks for the rules-help ^_^)

Roland St. Jude
2015-04-02, 09:25 PM
Yeah, it was like a "If he dies, I'll be bummed. If he lives, I can lecture him later or yell at him for endangering himself and possible everyone else as well." or "If we survive this, I'm gonna give him what-for later, but let's just focus on living for now." That kind of thing. Like the TV shows and movies. "You'd better live so I can kill(punish/yell at) you later" - it's not usually intended as literal. Very much a common paraphrase.
Hope that helps.Right. "If we get out of this alive, I'm gonna kill you," is a common trope in group adventure media of all kinds. It's not a real threat, even between the most contentious allies. And it's diminished even further by the notion that both parties are probably going to die from whatever the immediate peril is anyway. :smalltongue:

Unfortunately, Roland said two turns. In this edition, a "turn" is ten rounds, meaning that if she doesn't use the shield to dispel the fear she has eighteen rounds of running left.Close. A round is ten seconds. A turn is ten minutes. And, yes, the fear is two turns.

Web lasts for 48 turns.This is true. A human of average Strength will take 20-80 minutes to break free and stronger people/beings less.

Sometimes I think this edition just set durations of things at random. :smallbiggrin:

Nevaera
2015-04-03, 10:45 AM
Right. "If we get out of this alive, I'm gonna kill you," is a common trope in group adventure media of all kinds. It's not a real threat, even between the most contentious allies. And it's diminished even further by the notion that both parties are probably going to die from whatever the immediate peril is anyway. :smalltongue: Exactly. Well said. That last part, I couldn't figure out how to word. XD

Close. A round is ten seconds. A turn is ten minutes. And, yes, the fear is two turns.
[6 Rounds = 1 Minute
Turn = 10 Minutes = 60 Rounds]
10 Seconds = 1 Round
1 Minute = 60 Seconds; 6 Rounds
1 Turn = 10 x Minute(60sec) = 600sec

Rounds in a Turn = 600sec(1turn)/10sec(1round) = 60 Rounds
Rounds in a turn = 60Hoo... So two turns means 20 min or 120 rounds. XD Yikes! Hehe.

Sometimes I think this edition just set durations of things at random. :smallbiggrin: Yeah, no kidding. :smallbiggrin:

Frivolous
2015-04-06, 03:11 PM
As before, I'll wait for Bran to regain mobility before I post IC.

Koren n'Rhys
2015-04-06, 03:32 PM
Me too - I'm following along, but don't have much to offer in this condition. :-)

Gwendol
2015-04-07, 07:00 AM
Ack, sorry for that. I read the turns as being rounds, which is why I suggested what I did. So, yes, let's play for time.

Matthew
2015-04-08, 10:00 AM
Yeah, not much Nathros can do whilst paralysed!

Gwendol
2015-04-14, 01:20 AM
Roland, did the priest flee with my dagger sticking out of him, or did I get lucky and he instinctively pulled it out? :smallwink:

Roland St. Jude
2015-04-14, 08:35 AM
Roland, did the priest flee with my dagger sticking out of him, or did I get lucky and he instinctively pulled it out? :smallwink:He left it for you. :smallsmile:

Frivolous
2015-04-15, 02:37 PM
Hello. May I ask what the status is of the healing gem of Alanna's? Was it used?

If it wasn't used, I humbly request that it be used on Ash.

Nevaera
2015-04-15, 07:01 PM
Oh yeah... I forgot about that. XD Thanks.
Ash is okay for now, but it might be nice to have the top up later, if others don't need it more (which they might).

Koren n'Rhys
2015-04-16, 01:57 PM
I'm still here too, with Mycah dutifully staring off into the middle distance.

Roland St. Jude
2015-04-16, 01:58 PM
Hello. May I ask what the status is of the healing gem of Alanna's? Was it used?

If it wasn't used, I humbly request that it be used on Ash.Keeping track of time underground, especially with a group that doesn't observer normal "days" is quite a challenge. :smallsmile:

The recent rest was not long enough to allow anyone to reset their spells, but the gem actually did reset unbeknownst to all. Recalling that it was used, Penny is unlikely to try it again unless someone goes down. It is also the only remaining magical healing the party has as far as I know.

Nevaera
2015-04-16, 04:15 PM
Plus one or two healing potions for emergencies. ^_^

Roland St. Jude
2015-04-19, 12:17 AM
New IC the next 24 hours.

Frivolous
2015-04-19, 12:55 AM
Already? Time flies.

Gwendol
2015-04-21, 06:23 AM
Did Aditi peek through the open door?

Nevaera
2015-04-21, 01:34 PM
I didn't miss a link to the new IC or anything, did I?

Koren n'Rhys
2015-04-21, 01:36 PM
I don't think so, we've just slowed to a crawl...

Frivolous
2015-04-21, 01:48 PM
Are we waiting on anyone? I think most of the PCs are paralyzed.

Koren n'Rhys
2015-04-21, 01:51 PM
Yeah, I think only Ash, Athos and Aditi - the A Team - are up and mobile, among the PCs at least. That did not go as well as hoped, but at least we are still alive.

Nevaera
2015-04-21, 02:01 PM
For now. ^_^

XD

Roland St. Jude
2015-04-21, 09:13 PM
We're not quite in combat rounds anymore but what's ever beyond those doors may well come after you. But go ahead and take actions in short bursts until something comes up.

Also you're only a few minutes into the ninety minutes that hold person lasts.

Gwendol
2015-04-22, 01:22 AM
BECMI rules are hard core...

Flipping through the rules I came to realize the THAC0 for a 3rd level MU is actually 19 (and not 20). My sheet has been updated to reflect that.

Frivolous
2015-04-26, 01:40 AM
Priest, badly wounded and freed from his bondage, retreats through the door to the left (from the party's vantage point).

Roland, to confirm, the one who got away was not the senior priest, but one of the lesser, younger ones?

Or was he the most senior priest, who cast a spell on Brandon?

I ask in this case because 'senior' might be only a relative description, not an absolute one.

Ash is unable to locate the original prisoners. They are not with the rest of the party and seemed to have slipped away during the combat.

Oh crap. :smallsmile:

Nevaera
2015-04-26, 10:51 AM
XD
Yup, just what Ash was afraid of.
Okay, new plan - we kill them after we get the info we need. :smallbiggrin:
Course, that's a tad evil... :P

Maybe some of us can go after them - maybe Petra's Shield will help free the frozen?
Oooh! That gives me an idea.

Roland St. Jude
2015-04-26, 05:27 PM
Roland, to confirm, the one who got away was not the senior priest, but one of the lesser, younger ones?

Or was he the most senior priest, who cast a spell on Brandon?The two priests who arrived to relieve the (former) prisoners fled back through the tunnel and escaped. The last priest to flee was the priest who cast the spell on Ash. He was also one of the two priests to cast spells on the charging Brandon. This was the leader-y looking priest in post #488.

I ask in this case because 'senior' might be only a relative description, not an absolute one.Correct. The latest IC description is relative, among those the party has killed and are looking over now. And, of course, it's all guesswork by the party members.

Matthew
2015-04-27, 11:05 PM
Being a paralysed in a play-by-post game is akin to a two or three week holiday from events! :smallbiggrin:

Koren n'Rhys
2015-04-28, 07:34 AM
Being a paralysed in a play-by-post game is akin to a two or three week holiday from events! :smallbiggrin:
Yes, unfortunately that seems to be the case. Now we know how Frivolous has felt lately!

Nevaera
2015-04-28, 09:28 AM
XD
Yeah, brutal, right?
I thought before - "Oh crap, I'm fleeing - maybe it won't last long... Hoo! Narrowly avoided paralyzation that time! Yikes!"

I guess it'll be up to Ash to sacrifice more on behalf of her allies and friends to free them in a timely manner. We're in big trouble with so many active and aware enemies out there. :smalltongue:

---

When the spoiler in Roland's posts were made, I guess I interpreted them wrong cause it left me under the impression that all enemies would be mentioned in them - spelled ones, fled ones, and mobile ones alike. I didn't acknowledge them properly from week to week updates, I think, and lost track of them a bunch. :smalleek:

---

I will try to get a nice little IC post up in within 40 hours if needed. Hopefully our situation improves some.

Gwendol
2015-04-29, 07:24 AM
Remind me of how looking for traps work in BECMI: I guess only thieves have a listed proficiency?
In case an insight roll can help: Int roll [roll0]

Koren n'Rhys
2015-04-29, 08:29 AM
Brandon has held the Shield of Petra before, and strapped to his arm, he is reminded of its powers. He is aware that it could restore his movement, so that he could better protect the others. Like Ash before him, he is also vaguely aware that there is some price to be paid for that freedom, but whatever it is seems worthwhile to be a help and not a burden.

Frivolous,
Maybe it's just my reading of this, but it seems to me that Roland is trying to subtly tell you to use the shield so that we can get people freed and the game moving again. It might be something you can strap to each persons arm and we can all use it. Just a thought.

Kish
2015-04-29, 08:54 AM
Roland, can we have a clarification on whether you're saying "USE THE SHIELD, FRIVOLOUS" or saying "Brandon knows he can use the shield to dispel the paralysis and that there will be a price for doing so, do as you see fit"?

Koren n'Rhys
2015-04-29, 09:15 AM
I based my assumption on "whatever it is [the cost] seems worthwhile... and not a burden"

Roland St. Jude
2015-04-29, 10:31 AM
Frivolous,
Maybe it's just my reading of this, but it seems to me that Roland is trying to subtly tell you to use the shield so that we can get people freed and the game moving again. It might be something you can strap to each persons arm and we can all use it. Just a thought.

Roland, can we have a clarification on whether you're saying "USE THE SHIELD, FRIVOLOUS" or saying "Brandon knows he can use the shield to dispel the paralysis and that there will be a price for doing so, do as you see fit"?

I based my assumption on "whatever it is [the cost] seems worthwhile... and not a burden"That's just Brandon's impression from the shield. It echoes the message Ash got. The shield can help at a cost, and while it doesn't specify what it is, it suggests to the bearer that protecting others is worth the cost.

I'm not communicating any desire for particular PC actions. I'm also not saying you can just pass the shield around or what would happen, though you can try. :smallamused:

Frivolous
2015-04-29, 11:04 PM
Chances are good that even if there were a reason to use the Shield right now, and even if every paralyzed PC were willing to bear the cost of doing so...

The Shield might not let its Immunity power be used more than once a day, let alone 4x a day, which is what it could take to free everyone from paralysis.

Nevaera
2015-04-30, 09:20 AM
Eh, I never thought a time capsule would be a thing, but yet here we are. XD

I think it's the type of magic item that - since there's a cost to using it - will allow it's spell-type abilities to be used for protection of others as many times as the wielder at the time might choose to martyr themselves for.

But normal magic items would be crazy broken to allow such a thing, I'd think.

Koren n'Rhys
2015-05-04, 08:18 AM
Heh. Looks like a box to me! A nice one too! :smallamused:

Roland St. Jude
2015-05-04, 12:38 PM
I think it's the type of magic item that - since there's a cost to using it - will allow it's spell-type abilities to be used for protection of others as many times as the wielder at the time might choose to martyr themselves for.Yeah, it's an artifact, so it plays by different rules. :smallamused: We'll have more talks about it the more you wield/use it. :smallwink:

Gwendol
2015-05-05, 07:21 AM
Still not opening it myself!

Nevaera
2015-05-05, 08:51 AM
Still not opening it myself!
I assume you must be talking about the box and not Petra's Shield, which was the topic Roland was quoting me about, yeah? :smallsmile:

Koren n'Rhys
2015-05-05, 10:27 AM
Don't worry, Mycah will open it. Step off, Ash. :smallcool:

Roland St. Jude
2015-05-05, 01:44 PM
Don't forget to stow/distribute the loot in post #534 (like Ash's offering up the sword in post #543, which Murray will take if no PC does). And don't open the box! Muahaha!

Nevaera
2015-05-05, 02:03 PM
Oh, right, thanks for the reminder.
It's been a bit hectic lately here, so I've been a bit distracted and not as thorough as I used to try to be.

Gwendol
2015-05-07, 01:53 AM
Talking about the box.

Nevaera
2015-05-08, 09:33 AM
Talking about the box.

Right. *thumbs up*

Koren n'Rhys
2015-05-22, 07:43 AM
Just to be clear, we are all gathered near the FIRST door. Bran was just asking if Mycah hears anything. That's how I took at anyway. We haven't moved down the hall to the second door yet.

Gwendol
2015-05-22, 08:40 AM
Sorry, travelling abroad over the weekend. Back monday evening.

Matthew
2015-05-25, 10:24 AM
Sorry guys, mad busy and no updates appearing in my mail box! Will try to catch up on events!

Frivolous
2015-05-25, 12:51 PM
Very glad to see you again, Matthew. Hope you're well.

Nevaera
2015-05-25, 08:10 PM
Oh, my bad. Thought we were keeping our distance from one another so that we don't all get caught in the same spell attacks. Also, I thought Aditi and Ash already scouted the first door on the party's left (with the room having been described). So I figured the other door being listened too would be the one across from it which should still be closed.
I'm not feeling up to re-reading it all right now though.
Unfortunately, there's been two deaths in the family this month and their funerals are both this week - kinda tired - not going to spend much time online right now, I figure. :/

Take care, all. Hope your summers go nicely. :)

Kish
2015-05-25, 08:17 PM
Oh ouch. I hope you're doing better soon.

Frivolous
2015-05-26, 01:28 AM
Condolences and sympathies, Nev.

Nevaera
2015-05-26, 08:40 AM
Thanks guys. :]

Gwendol
2015-05-26, 10:32 AM
Back. Had a good trip, but short and intense.

Roland St. Jude
2015-05-26, 12:22 PM
My sympathies, Nevaera. Welcome back, Nathros and Gwendol.

I'll get a new IC up in the next day or so and we can get this thing moving along a bit. I'll admit I'm lagging.

Frivolous
2015-05-29, 01:54 AM
This is a reminder to myself to post later.

Nevaera
2015-05-29, 01:58 PM
Perfect. Thanks for all the quick posting, guys. ^_^

Frivolous
2015-06-02, 01:28 AM
Roland - It's been a long time since I last asked this question, so I apologize for forgetting the answer:

Can Bran drop the flask of oil, draw his sword, and attack in the same (surprise) round, or not?

Frivolous
2015-06-05, 04:11 PM
By the way, if it's assumed that Bran is not close enough to attack in the surprise round, please feel free to postpone his sword attack to next round or something.

Gah, he was carrying a flask of oil, too, wasn't he? Sorry, sorry. :smallfrown: I'm reading something right now and my mind is somewhere else.

Nevaera
2015-06-05, 07:28 PM
OOC: Friv, I read this as we HAVE moved down to the second door. First room was empty...

By the way, wasn't there another passageway as well? A third option I thought... perhaps I've been confused this whole time. XD

Roland St. Jude
2015-06-07, 11:38 AM
Roland - It's been a long time since I last asked this question, so I apologize for forgetting the answer:

Can Bran drop the flask of oil, draw his sword, and attack in the same (surprise) round, or not?In the surprise round, no, but in a normal round, if there was no movement, yes.

By the way, wasn't there another passageway as well? A third option I thought... perhaps I've been confused this whole time. XDThere is another doorway, well actually an open arch, on the opposite side of the hall (and between) these two closed doors.

Nevaera
2015-06-07, 08:33 PM
Cool, that's what I had thought. yay. X)
---
Here's Ash's Save Roll vs. Poison so I know right away how to post her actions when I get to post later.
Save Vs. Poison DC 10: [roll0]
---
Edit: Crap! Below 10 is bad in this case, I'm sure of it. So Ash is poisoned and fated to die within a round if no one can heal her in time. XD Ouch.

Roland St. Jude
2015-06-07, 08:48 PM
Cool, that's what I had thought. yay. X)
---
Here's Ash's Save Roll vs. Poison so I know right away how to post her actions when I get to post later.
Save Vs. Poison DC 10: [roll0]
---
Edit: Crap! Below 10 is bad in this case, I'm sure of it. So Ash is poisoned and fated to die within a round if no one can heal her in time. XD Ouch.Ash feels no immediate effects of the poison but is aware she's been poisoned. This is not the same poison previously encountered.

Frivolous
2015-06-08, 02:09 AM
I'm a bit late here, so I'll post later.

Edit: Never mind, no need. Still same round.

Nevaera
2015-06-08, 08:41 PM
Ash feels no immediate effects of the poison but is aware she's been poisoned. This is not the same poison previously encountered.

Should I fix my IC post to match that?

Roland St. Jude
2015-06-08, 10:41 PM
Should I fix my IC post to match that?Yeah, just omit the stuff after the ellipses and it should be fine.

Nevaera
2015-06-12, 02:09 PM
Anyone out there? Posting seems really slow lately. :smallfrown:
I'm getting sick again, but I'm surviving.

Hope everyone is having a good summer. Went to my very first real Karaoke night with the girls last month - such a blast! :D
Also, I'll be going on a short camping trip with my 6-yr-old and other family for the last weekend of the month. Super excited, but haven't put any preparation into it at all yet. :smallbiggrin:
So I'll be unable to post during that time. Hopefully Ash will still be alive by then so I can keep posting after though. :smalltongue:

Take care everyone. ^_^

Frivolous
2015-06-12, 03:00 PM
I'm still here.

Nevaera
2015-06-13, 08:44 AM
^_^

Frivolous
2015-06-17, 01:57 PM
Sigh. The GitP dice roller really hates me lately. :smallyuk:

Nevaera
2015-06-17, 02:13 PM
Heh, yeah, same here. X/

Kish
2015-06-22, 03:51 PM
Let's see if I'm done contributing to this fight, eh? [roll0]

That's a yes. So close.

Nevaera
2015-06-23, 07:52 AM
Friv. - if Bran got a low number on a save, that's a failure, right? But low on a skill is good. I'm really tired and just got up, but I think that he's been poisoned. >.< Maybe the shield can fix him?

Koren n'Rhys
2015-06-23, 08:41 AM
Damn it! I think I must be seeing post notifications on my phone and then not remembering to log into the site when I'm back at my desk. And then since I haven't logged in again, I don't get another notification and completely forget to check in. So sorry!

Nevaera
2015-06-23, 02:33 PM
I think it's all good. ^_^

And a reminder - I'll be gone this weekend, but that's only for three days, so I probably won't be needed. If a post is needed on behalf of Ash, I am okay with her using the shield to save someone (particularly from anything that would cause death if left undealt with).

Also, can a sleep spell work on creatures too? Like snakes? Ash is immune at the moment. :) She's also not paralyzed - I checked. :D
The more we fight the poison from the snakes, the more likely we'll be pooched later so the sooner it ends the better, I figure.
I recommend Athos try his sleep spell on that whole area when there's snakes, caster, and Ash in the mix. We can always wake our companions if one of us falls to the slumber too. ;)

If Bran is poisoned, Ash will step in and ask of the shield that he be healed from it. She'll chop years off her life by the time we're done this temple, heheh. But "live today to die not today" sounds pretty good still, I figure. XD

Koren n'Rhys
2015-06-23, 02:55 PM
Hmm. Was Ash just cutting years from her lifespan or aging as she does all that? Not sure if Mycah will still be after her if she's all old and crusty. :smallbiggrin:

Enjoy your camping trip with the kiddies. If only my weekend was going to be so relaxing. My oldest girl is graduating from high school (Valedictorian!) and ready for one summer of sloth and debauchery before she heads to Boston for college in the fall. Northeastern University - Chemical Engineering, 5 yr Bachelors & Masters program, Pre-Law minor. The psychotic girl wants to go into Intellectual Property law for some big corporation.

So, family in town, graduation Sat AM, grad party all afternoon. Then hop on a train that night for a 12 hr ride to Chicago with my younger daughter to get her settled into her summer school program at the Chicago Art Institute studying photography. Then right back on the train Sun night for the 12 hrs home. I am going to take Monday off of work though. I think I'll need it - I'm tired already.

Nevaera
2015-06-24, 08:19 PM
Hahaha. XD
Luckily, the lifespan was shortened from the end, not the beginning, so she'll be looking great still when she goes. :smallwink::smallbiggrin:

So long as those girls are doing what they love/want (and being smart + safe + nice).
My mom's in photography and has an art hobby business on the side. I have a bunch of her canvases in my living room. Good stuff. ^_^

Heh, yeah, that does sound more exhausting. Definitely take the Monday off, yup.
I've got at least 4 more hours of cleaning and prep to do before I go, plus the usual chores and dinners, but once I'm on that bus - it's smooth sailing.
I hope it's not actually like sailing - might feel carsick. :smalleek:

All the best to you all. :smallsmile:

Koren n'Rhys
2015-07-01, 01:19 PM
Hahaha. XD
Luckily, the lifespan was shortened from the end, not the beginning, so she'll be looking great still when she goes. :smallwink::smallbiggrin:
That is what's important! :smallwink:

Well, the Chicago trip was every bit as exhausting as I expected. Delayed, uncomfortable, yuck. On the plus side, my daughter is settled into art school and seems to be loving the challenge so far.

Now back to the game...
Mycah can't seem to hit the broad side of a barn lately, so hopefully someone else can do some damage to this guy soon! We need a win!

Frivolous
2015-07-01, 02:10 PM
Koren: That's why I had Bran attack the sleeping snake. The GitP dice roller hates him lately, so I decided to avoid doing anything that had a chance of failing. :smallsmile:

Koren n'Rhys
2015-07-01, 02:20 PM
Ha! Go for the small successes eh? Good plan.

Frivolous
2015-07-13, 02:14 AM
Roland, am I correct in assuming that Bran killed the sleeping snake? Or did he only damage it?

Roland St. Jude
2015-07-13, 12:09 PM
Killed it.

Koren n'Rhys
2015-07-13, 01:54 PM
YES!!

Finally a couple decent attacks! Now to see how much damage this guy can take...

Frivolous
2015-07-13, 03:03 PM
Killed it.

Thank you.

The (only) nice thing about my awful attack rolls lately for Bran is that I know they're not being wasted killing snakes. :smallsmile:

I mean, I figure a 12 isn't going to hit anything. I doubt the cleric is only AC 5.

Nevaera
2015-07-13, 04:36 PM
Actually, I think he does (he's robed, I believe).

Also, if you smack a snake for only 2 dmg, it might live through it and wake - something to consider when you make your next swing. :smallwink:
Mind you, I'm terribly pleased to know one of the three are dead now. :smallbiggrin:

Matthew
2015-07-15, 11:09 AM
Sorry guys, mad busy and no updates appearing in my mail box! Will try to catch up on events!

Kiss of death. I have been working six day weeks the last few months.

Frivolous
2015-07-16, 01:48 AM
Kiss of death. I have been working six day weeks the last few months.

Very sorry to hear that. Gotta be tough in a foreign country and with an infant.

Matthew
2015-07-16, 12:06 PM
Thanks, but not as tough as you might be imagining; this is my fourth year here and my wife is Japanese. As it goes, I chose to work Saturdays teaching English to children to generate some extra income. It is tiring, but otherwise fairly easy. During the week I teach at a university and a secondary school, so I get fairly long holidays (though I am probably going to try and fill them up with more work this year). :smallbiggrin:

Nevaera
2015-07-16, 01:59 PM
Your message box is full. :smallbiggrin:

I would love to teach English there if I could be home here in Canada when I wasn't teaching. I went to a seminar thing about it once, but I couldn't adapt my lifestyle to fit that in. :/
Somebody has to invent convenient, cheap teleportation. ;P

Matthew
2015-07-16, 11:57 PM
Sorry about that. It is not full any more!

Gwendol
2015-07-18, 05:47 PM
Sorry for my quietness as of late, been travelling some and now having some time off work and with the family.

Nevaera
2015-07-18, 09:43 PM
I figure it's all good. ^_^

Also, nice rolls everyone! :D

Frivolous
2015-07-26, 01:04 AM
Roland, is there no longer any space around the cleric for others to gang up and melee on him, or is there still space?

If the answer is Yes, how many more can melee?

If the answer is no, then can Bran drop his sword and at least throw a dagger at the cleric in this round?

Note: If the answer is Yes but only one more can attack, then I humbly recommend Nathros take the spot. His halberd is mightier than Bran's sword.

Roland St. Jude
2015-07-26, 01:18 PM
The cleric hasn't moved (yet). So a few can have at him in melee.

Nevaera
2015-07-27, 03:14 PM
Good job guys, that's 10 more damage to the priest! :D
We need that wand/scepter! >:D

By my count, I think that's around 39 damage so far. That aught to do it, but just to be sure... *smacks him some more*

Roland St. Jude
2015-08-03, 03:50 PM
Who wants to follow the super-creepy bad guy down the dark hallway...:smallamused:

Frivolous
2015-08-03, 05:44 PM
Roland, is there still enough light to see the cleric by at his current position?

I'm gonna delay posting Bran's action a bit, if there is light. Seems most prudent to let our ranged attackers take a shot at him first. If they drop him that way, we can then check for traps or whatever and not go after the cleric blindly.

Roland St. Jude
2015-08-03, 08:01 PM
He is targetable with a penalty. He's moving into darkness but not all the way hidden. Of course, one could charge after him with a light source. :smallsmile:

Frivolous
2015-08-05, 01:51 AM
Hope it is all right that I still delay, given that Ash prolly did 5 points and the range attackers haven't struck yet.

In fact, given how he's bleeding out of his mouth, Ash's 5 points prolly killed him.

Koren n'Rhys
2015-08-08, 10:22 AM
Hey all,
Headed off for a week's vacation, mostly off the grid. Will check back in next Sunday, but it doesn't seem like I'll miss much. We've slowed to a crawl here lately...

Frivolous
2015-08-08, 04:10 PM
A lot of people I know online have gone on vacation recently.

Kish
2015-08-08, 04:13 PM
I am here, but my participation is restricted by my paralysis.

Matthew
2015-08-09, 12:45 PM
What is our status now? I feel like we need a collective update!

Six Player Characters?

Frivolous: Brandon Bor (Fighter)
Matthew: Nathros (Dwarf)
Nevaera: Ashala (Fighter)
Koren n'Rhys: Mycah (Thief)
Kish: Aditi (Thief)
Gwendol: Athos (Magician)

Two Non-Player Characters?

Penny (Cleric)
Neela (Cleric)?

How are our hit points? What spells do we have left? Other magical resources?

Nevaera
2015-08-09, 06:01 PM
Frivolous: Brandon Bor (Fighter) - Hit Points: 8/23
Matthew: Nathros (Dwarf) - Injured.
Nevaera: Ashala (Fighter) - Hit Points: 5/24
Koren n'Rhys: Mycah (Thief) - Hit Points: 7/7
Kish: Aditi (Thief) - Paralyzed, Injured.
Gwendol: Athos (Magician) - out of combat spells?

Three Non-Player Characters + Brett and Jemaine who hold onto our horses and hide at the edge of the jungle-trees.

Penny (Cleric) - out of spells? Injured?
Neela (Magician) - out of combat spells?
+ Murray (Fighter) - Injured?

We have some irrelevant potions and new wands that have yet to be identified. Should have ONE emergency cure-light-wounds potion thing left too. Unless I've miscounted - which is possible.

---

Ash can loot the body if Athos is doing fine patching people up on his own.
Gwendol will have to make some rolls and assign them ahead of time to each of the wounded he intends to treat.
And we have to decide what to do about Aditi and anyone else who might be paralyzed that I've forgotten about - Murray? Neela/Penny? I forget. XD

---

I suppose we could really use a staff of healing. XD
I'll remain random-loot hopeful. :P
I think that kind of staff probably does one heal per person in a day - well, I've encountered such a thing in B/X outside of PbP gaming, anyways.

Frivolous
2015-08-09, 07:45 PM
I for one would like to know how many HP Nathros has.

Considering he may have more HP than most, it might be best if he goes in front until further notice, yes?

Matthew
2015-08-10, 12:34 AM
Nathros has 8/14 hit points remaining. His last roll for hit points was ... disappointing:

Level 1: 4 Hit Points
Level 2: 9 Hit Points
Level 3: 13 Hit Points
Level 4: 14 Hit Points

Nevaera
2015-08-10, 02:38 PM
So same HP as Brandon and worse defense but better damage when an attack is successful.
I wonder if Dwarf's get any kind of racial bonuses besides Darkvision or Within-a-mountain Knowledge. :P I totally don't know. :smallbiggrin:

Roland St. Jude
2015-08-11, 02:48 PM
Is everyone still interested in continuing this? I'm happy to continue on, but I want to make sure everyone else is onboard. This seems like a possible stopping place to mutually decide to let this go without anyone letting everyone else down or continuing out of mere obligation.

We've slipped considerably from our 1/day pace, and I'd like to work towards that goal, even if we don't quite reach it, if we continue.

Thoughts?

Frivolous
2015-08-11, 03:35 PM
I'm still interested. As far as I can tell, I've been posting faithfully.

Roland: If I have not been posting faithfully, please let me know. I've been reading Worm by wildbow, and it's tremendously long and absorbing. Quite distracting to me.

Matthew
2015-08-12, 04:23 AM
I am up for it, but I would also like to see a quicker pace. We should just move on with undeclared actions every day, as often we are just waiting around for somebody to say something inconsequential.

Nevaera
2015-08-12, 08:56 AM
I agree, we should be posting daily and we don't need to wait for people to post. We can always try to mention what we think is most likely they'd do if we need someone to act, otherwise it's probably fine to press on without mention. ^_^
Koren is on vaca this week I think, but I'm sure he'd agree on this vote still.

Kish
2015-08-12, 10:03 AM
I'm still here; I haven't been posting every day only because I've been paralyzed.

Nevaera
2015-08-12, 11:17 AM
I'd like if Ash wasn't always the one to do the de-paralyzing people if at all possible, but if you guys think it's best Aditi be unparalyzed by Ash using the shield, then she can do that again - hopefully the sacrifice will not be a perm. HP loss this time. XD Though I'm not sure there's anything reasonable and better that we could hope for I suppose. Fatigue maybe? :P I dunno how it all works - last time, she unparalyzed several of her companions at the cost of one HP, which was decent.

She's still affected by Immunity which saves her from spells below 3rd level - something like that. And resting would give back all priests their time to restore their spells too, which will allow for far more formidable opponents if we bump into the ones we've already encountered and any they've contacted. Resting would benefit our group immensely, though perhaps not as much as the time lost would be a hindrance. *sigh* Rock - meet Hardplace.

Let me know what you guys figure on getting Kish (and others?) back in the game and on our next course of action, okay? ^_^

Frivolous
2015-08-12, 11:45 AM
I do not suggest or want using the Shield again. Suggest just resting in this room and doing a time-skip.

Kish
2015-08-12, 11:54 AM
Considering our spellcasters are all out of spells and the priest we just fought is dead, I'm not sure why we'd be going on even if that didn't involve feeding someone's lifeforce to the shield. Our former prisoners could be anywhere in this complex by now; running them down is not happening.

Nevaera
2015-08-12, 02:19 PM
Our former prisoners should also be as low on spells as they were when we left them, but given enough time they can recharge those by resting and praying and this time they'll be prepared for us. The other concern was that Ash's immunity buff is still on for a couple hours, then she'll be just as easily feared or frozen or what have you as ever before and I'm sure they wouldn't expect they'd be wasting those spells when pointing them at her - it's an advantage we've already used to help slay this priest before it was too late (she probably did around half his HP in damage during the fight).
---
So summed up downsides of resting up:
- Enemies replenishing spells and more prepared than ever.
- Immunity spell buff expiring.
- Being attacked while resting and not completing the rest period in time.
- Losing element of surprise (might take on large groups rather than a couple enemies at a time).
Summed up benefits I see to resting up:
- Heal from sleep 2 HP each wounded.
- Replenish all caster's spells including heal spells and amulet/medallion healing.
- Identifying wands and such?
- Paralyzed allies all are free to move with no cost to Ash or anyone.
- Possible gang up potency if we are all magically at our best and only encounter 1/2 priests at a time.
- Use bunk beds for a better sleep? (post guards in nearby room also, so we don't get cornered)
---
Downside of pressing on:
- Paying for freedom of movement for paralyzed allies.
- Severely crippled in the spell slinging department.
- No healing except for bandaging.
- No knowledge of the wand(s) we've acquired.
Upside to pressing on:
- Have Immunity spell on Ash.
- Maintain some element of surprise.
- Won't allow enemy spell replenishment.
- Securing the area better to prevent ambushes on us during rest periods.

Frivolous
2015-08-13, 01:45 AM
Roland, does the poison and/or the poultice seem to be doing anything?

Roland St. Jude
2015-08-13, 04:35 PM
Roland, does the poison and/or the poultice seem to be doing anything?

From the IC:

The poultice seems to do its work.

Perhaps our posts crossed in the ether. :smallamused:

Frivolous
2015-08-13, 05:30 PM
Ugh, yeah, sorry for that. I don't know why I didn't see that. :smallredface:

Nevaera
2015-08-15, 11:40 AM
Roland, do you happen to know (off the top of your head) all who were injured in this specific fight or the one before and were not yet treated with bandaging? It might take a bit of searching through the IC to sort it all out otherwise.

Roland St. Jude
2015-08-15, 12:27 PM
Roland, do you happen to know (off the top of your head) all who were injured in this specific fight or the one before and were not yet treated with bandaging? It might take a bit of searching through the IC to sort it all out otherwise.I do not. :smallredface:

Nevaera
2015-08-15, 11:49 PM
How about the NPC's maybe?
I will see if Ash was harmed on my own sometime - I can't remember either. XD

Nevaera
2015-08-18, 07:48 PM
Could we get some rolls from Athos (to have been applied during our bandaging downtime) perhaps?
If need be, I could give it a whirl - hopefully not miscalculating too much.
---
Going to get a couple wisdom teeth pulled on Friday, so not sure how that's going to affect my presence online after. XD

Roland St. Jude
2015-08-18, 11:01 PM
Can I get a decision on whether you want to hole up in one room or two (and if one, which one)? Then, I'll narrate the camp-making and Mycah/Ash's initial exploration.

I don't know who's eligible for a Healing check, but just to speed things along, 14 or lower is a success. You can take 2 hp or roll 1d3 for hp regained.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]
[roll6]
[roll7]
[roll8]

Frivolous
2015-08-19, 01:33 AM
Bran did get damaged recently from the snakebite, so I'll take the 2 HP of healing.

Kish
2015-08-19, 08:03 AM
Someone tried to heal Aditi since she was last injured (and wound up inflicting two more points of damage on her); I'm guessing that means she can't benefit from further Heal checks tonight. She's also not in a position to participate in decisions about what the group does now.

Nevaera
2015-08-19, 08:36 AM
So everyone is at a potential for patching so long as they took damage recently, but for Penny. Sweet. :D Nice rolling Roland!
---
Aww, that sucks for Aditi. :( I remember that. What's she at now for HP?
Ash was certainly attacked in the fight and injured by a snake, so she'll take a flat 2 HP.
---
I think we'll finish up our sleeping plans once Mycah and Ash get back, if we can't figure them out sooner.
Ash liked the idea of flanking enemies with a surprise attack from both sides of the hall, even if one side was discovered. The mural was going to be guarded by the girls (Neela, Ash, Aditi and Penny), all who are somewhat formidable in their own rights - so long as they're not tapped out of magic or HP. Plus Penny might be able to figure out the wand for the mural perhaps.
Ash was also not for putting all their eggs in one basket (one room) as a spell would not be terribly hindered by their numbers, rather it would be limited more by having less of her comrades to cast upon at a time.
Thus, I'm for splitting the resting places.
---
PS: Everyone was in the middle of attempting a rest before the other mural opened and there was fighting. Perhaps a partial rest now would complete that for the fighting types as well as a complete 8hrs all occurring now for the casters' spells?

Nevaera
2015-08-22, 05:02 PM
Ouch. My cheek is so poofy. XD
Hope I can eat again soon. :P
Hopefully the game isn't somehow waiting for me. :\

Matthew
2015-08-23, 10:19 AM
I think we are having an indecisive period, which always happens when we stall on completing an action, such as resting. Really, we just want to check the area is relatively secure and rest, right? Should be pretty much done.

Nevaera
2015-08-23, 02:24 PM
I agree - I'm not sure if Koren has been away again and if any of us were perhaps waiting on him, but I figured that was enough scouting for now. XD
---
I seem to be healing quickly! My cheek swelling is now down to minimal poofy status. :D
I plan to never grow any more wisdom teeth ever again, though I have yet to determine whether the right side shall comply with my wishes. If I must, I'll prefer them to grow in straight and I shall care for them and keep them. ^_^ :smallwink:

Frivolous
2015-08-23, 02:29 PM
Wisdom tooth removal is awful.

Nevaera
2015-08-23, 02:35 PM
Had it done before? How many teeth at a time?

Koren n'Rhys
2015-08-23, 03:08 PM
Glad you're feeling better, Nevaera. Wisdom teeth = no fun.

I haven't run off again - I just don't get online much on the weekends. I'll get over to the IC thread right now.

Frivolous
2015-08-23, 04:53 PM
Me, all at the same time. I lost quite a lot of blood and was quite pale after. Could still walk around, though.

Kish
2015-08-23, 05:06 PM
I had three of mine out at once--three, because the reason I had them out at all was that the first one started hurting badly and needed to come out that day. So I have all four of them out now.

As for discussing what to do next, Aditi contributes ".........."

Nevaera
2015-08-23, 10:15 PM
Yikes. I'm really lucky then.

I was low on blood so really dizzy and tired the first day, but I got lots of rest these last two nights and drank lots of stuff to help me get my blood replenished so feeling pretty spiffy now. :D
Really helped that they were all on one side too. I can chew stuff and that makes me glad. :smallsmile:

---

Hahah, Aditi. XD

Gwendol
2015-08-25, 09:21 AM
Since we're resting I'd like a vote on what spells to prepare:

Available are:
Level 1
Read magic
Sleep
Protection from evil
Level 2
Web

I can prepare 2 level 1 spells and 1 level 2 spell (not much of a choice there).

Koren n'Rhys
2015-08-25, 09:41 AM
Seems like our opponents have been primarily the human priests. No weird monsters or anything. For sheer utility, I'd simply load up on two Sleeps (and Web). More useful than Prot. from Evil, IMO.

Matthew
2015-08-25, 10:25 AM
Seems like a good idea to me.

Nevaera
2015-08-25, 08:04 PM
I suppose the snakes and the priests don't count as evil then... what about the spider immortals?
Is protection from evil able to be cast on a group or solely on an individual?

Probably just two sleep spells and web though, as the others suggested. ^_^

---

I think Neela can finally identify the wands, guys. :D

---

Ash is only at 5 HP and always is the one to take the hit on HP when using the shield for people, so I don't think Bran should jump on the healing spell as they are a limited resource. I think it's better used in a pinch - either that way for both or one for a pinch and one for the lowest HP party member, whoever that be. (Ash is probably at the lowest percentage, but there could be someone out there with only 4 HP for all I know. XD )

Frivolous
2015-08-26, 02:24 AM
As I mentioned before, I think we should rest - at least one time.

We are mostly all badly wounded, and at the current lack of HP, a second period of recuperation seems called for.

Not to mention the weakening curse, which may take longer rest to be rid of.

Gwendol
2015-08-26, 02:36 AM
Yeah, the question was if I'm forced to study read magic to identify the scrolls and writing or not. Can Penny do that instead?

Frivolous
2015-08-26, 04:33 AM
By the way, if we're going to rest a second time, might as well have Neela use the opportunity to cast Invisibility spells on our 2 thieves.

And if Read Magic has no hope of translating the scrolls, might as well not memorize that spell.

But Detect Magic alone will be enough to tell if Read Magic will be useful, right?

Koren n'Rhys
2015-08-26, 09:00 AM
That's a good point - we should pool everything and use a Detect Magic. I think the papers are just in some lost language from when the temple was put into stasis - not magic, so I agree Read Magic likely won't help. We need Read Languages - does anyone know that?

As for healing, unfortunately I think we need to rest as long as need be to get everyone close to healed, using up all the clerics spells, resting & repeating. We're just too badly beat up otherwise.

Nevaera
2015-08-26, 11:45 AM
For starters, I'm so sorry for this crappy post - I hope you don't mind sifting through it to take what information you need. I don't have time or the focus to edit it properly, but I wanted the info. and such to be out there for you all.
---

As I mentioned before, I think we should rest - at least one time.

We are mostly all badly wounded, and at the current lack of HP, a second period of recuperation seems called for...

I am pretty sure the rules don't allow two rests so close together to give any benefits - maybe it'd be different if everyone was under 24hr care perhaps? :(

Oh, perhaps we can take another half a day and then rest up again.

For now, Penny can't waste magic on things the mages can also do as we need her spells for healing and such more than we need more mage-like spells (if she can cast CLW & Hold Person/Bless/Silence/etc..., her magic is better applied doing that than Read Magic sorts of things, right?).

Though, there was a strange/ancient language on the papers before... Read Languages - is it only Neela who has it? She has Analyze[Identify, level 2 spell] as well. If she identifies our wands, she won't have any invisibility to offer, unfortunately. But we could really use some wand assistance at this point, I figure. Crap, they all probably just open the doors and don't do anything else I bet - otherwise the priests would have used them to cast against us. Crap, crap, crap. XD I guess we'll still need to know how to activate them though...
But the next day should be good for an Invisibility spell if we take another day to rest and such.

Okay, yeah, I suppose we could just doddle down here another day (takes us longer to get back to Brett and Jemaine and the horses - hope they're all okay still). That would top us up nicely and be less risky for sure. The element of surprise is no longer something that will be changed based on quick action or delay, I think, at this point. So we can try to get all spiffy again so that we're as strong as a couple of them at least (if their spells are not ready for us, then we'll be even more formidable - if somehow they are still not alerted to us).

If Penny heals up the most wounded just before another rest period again, that should be the most effective. She can use the amulet thing too. That should nearly top us up then, I bet.

Matthew
2015-08-26, 12:40 PM
Casting invisibility on the thieves is a really good idea. We need more information, and that seems like an excellent way to increase our scouting chances.

Frivolous
2015-08-26, 03:55 PM
So we have 2 votes for resting further. Not sure if Nevaera is a yea or nay.

Any more votes?

Nevaera
2015-08-26, 04:41 PM
I think I'm a yea. ^_^

Gwendol
2015-08-27, 03:59 AM
I have no issues with resting a second time. I'll keep my spell selection as before: Sleep, Sleep, Web.

Gwendol
2015-08-27, 04:14 AM
Btw, I asked before what it takes to copy spells, but can't find it in the rules nor in the OOC thread. Could someone please remind me (and give the reference)?

Matthew
2015-08-27, 05:22 AM
I am abstaining, as I do not mind either way. Both courses of action carry risk.

Nevaera
2015-08-27, 06:12 AM
Oh man, silly me. Neela can cast Invis. AND Read Languages on the same day. Woot! So we can has invis. rogues. :D
---

Btw, I asked before what it takes to copy spells, but can't find it in the rules nor in the OOC thread. Could someone please remind me (and give the reference)?

It takes a week or so and you take pretty much all day long to do it, I think it was.

Koren n'Rhys
2015-08-27, 09:28 AM
I have no problem with a second rest.

I am pretty sure the rules don't allow two rests so close together to give any benefits - maybe it'd be different if everyone was under 24hr care perhaps? :(
Not sure about the natural healing, but that's so slow as to be nearly inconsequential. More importantly, the clerics can cast all their healing spells, then rest and rememorize them.

Gwendol
2015-08-27, 10:07 AM
It takes a week or so and you take pretty much all day long to do it, I think it was.

That is my recollection as well.

Nevaera
2015-08-27, 10:16 AM
Just for the spells to be replenished I mean.
I thought they couldn't get them back so close together, but then maybe that was just a house-rule or something. XD

More importantly, the clerics can cast all their healing spells, then rest and rememorize them.
We just have the one now. Out of three. Isn't that awful?! XD
I thought three might be enough, but we lost one so early and even Alanna. :/
Ah well. Too bad it's not like in Age of Empires II where you can use your monk to convert the other factions over (a soldier/worker/etc...). XD Then we could use some of the dark priests for healing and our own gain. :P

---

Ooops, also, everyone who's injured - remember to take back 2 HP for resting, yeah?

Kish
2015-08-27, 10:21 AM
Not a house rule, just a newfangled 3+ edition rule. Probably specifically to prevent the fifteen-minute day.

Speaking of which, Aditi will have concerns about our acting like we're not in the middle of enemy territory by simply camping out here for the next 24 hours, if anyone proposes this idea to her.

Nevaera
2015-08-27, 04:32 PM
Oh, that's right. I played 3.5 so that must be where I got that idea from.
Well, fabulous - let's use up our spells and sleep longer! XD Maybe the RP-ers can get something going if it's slow over the weekend. :P

Roland St. Jude
2015-08-27, 10:12 PM
It takes a week or so and you take pretty much all day long to do it, I think it was.Something very long term like that. I think it was a week per spell level, and yes, it's an all day proposition during that time.

Gwendol
2015-08-28, 01:21 AM
Could you please provide a reference to that rule, because when I read chapter three in the cyclopedia all I find is the time it takes to research spells in order to replace a lost spellbook (a week / spell level). Copying spells to a second spellbook takes a lot less: four spells / day regardless of level. If I have read magic memorized I can read another MU's spellbook like it was my own, and so shouldn't the time of copying the spell be more like making a spellbook copy rather than researching a spell?

EDIT: Also, I'm not in need of healing (luckily since it would likely require a resurrection to bring me back after a hit)

Roland St. Jude
2015-08-28, 02:07 AM
If I remember correctly, by rule, there really isn't a mechanism to copy spells from another caster's book. This edition basically assumes that no caster would allow that. So, there are rules for researching a new spell from scratch, and there are rules for a magic user copying spells he knows to a second book (though I didn't see those in my most recent read through).

So to allow this, which is kind of in between the two, timing and costs, etc. needed to be created to fill the gap.

Nevaera
2015-08-28, 10:59 AM
Okay, let us all tally how many hit points we are down and we'll start from whoever has lost the most in total.
Anyone who can benefit the last 2 HP from sleeping doesn't need extra healing from magic, I figure. :)

Ash is at 9/23 = -14. (+2 from sleeping once more after this = up to 12HP that could be healed today)

Bran is ~12/23 = -11. (+2 from sleeping once more after this = up to ~9HP that could be healed today)

Murray, Penny, Neela... I think they all might be injured. Since those are NPC's, I'll leave their degree of injuries to be sorted by Roland.

If Aditi had been at half HP, she'd be pretty close back up to full by now maybe through resting. (like ~7/15-->13/15 after 1 more sleep)

Nathros should be nearly topped up after one more sleep, by my calculations (though a couple points from the healing gem would finish that off if it can be divvied out in portions like that).

Athos and Mycah are fine and do not need any healing. ^_^
Which is good 'cause they wouldn't take a hard hit and live, though medium/mild should be survivable.

---

So I guess one heal spell each for Ash (maybe the gem if it has to heal all in one go) and Brandon,
then two more to separately go to whichever two require it most out of Murray, Penny, and Neela (perhaps Aditi as well though - not sure).

Kish
2015-08-28, 11:06 AM
Aditi starts the rest period at 4/16. If we rest twice without interruption, that should leave her at 8/16.

Nevaera
2015-08-28, 11:21 AM
Alright, Aditi should definitely get one of the remaining two healing spells then, IMO. ^_^

Frivolous
2015-08-28, 01:00 PM
Bran is at 12 HP, not 11. He was at 8, healed up 2 HP twice, once from Healing and once from rest.

Edit: I figure Ashala should get the priority on the 1st healing spell, and possibly the 2nd one as well.

For the remaining 3rd healing spell, I guess we can roll dice to see who gets it.

Nevaera
2015-08-28, 10:38 PM
Plus the gem of healing, 1x/day, remember. ^_^ So Ash could just get that one and there can be three others to benefit from the spells individually. :D

Frivolous
2015-08-31, 01:33 AM
Still need to decide how the spells and gem use get prioritized. My opinion is posted above. What about yours?

Roland, did the rest do anything to our Strength, or is the curse still in effect?

Roland St. Jude
2015-08-31, 03:01 AM
Oh, I forgot to reply to that IC action. Yes, your Strength has returned. (for all).

Gwendol
2015-08-31, 07:24 AM
If I remember correctly, by rule, there really isn't a mechanism to copy spells from another caster's book. This edition basically assumes that no caster would allow that. So, there are rules for researching a new spell from scratch, and there are rules for a magic user copying spells he knows to a second book (though I didn't see those in my most recent read through).

So to allow this, which is kind of in between the two, timing and costs, etc. needed to be created to fill the gap.

Are you sure? Copying spells from scrolls and other magical items is allowed after casting the spell "read magic". The spell appears to let the caster read the text as if he/she had wrote it. And for a particular text the casting has to be done only once, after which the MU can read the magic freely. This seems to be somewhat at odds with the rules for re-creating ones spell-book if lost, but I suppose it is considered unpractical to rely on repeated castings of read magic to know what spells are in the book, let alone to learn them. On the other hand it allows a MU with a lost or limited spell-book (such as being away, far from ones teacher, and yet learn new spells) to still function as a class and not be a complete drag on the rest of the party.

The lost spell book example is much more than copying spells; it covers research and experimentation as given by the gold cost.

Koren n'Rhys
2015-08-31, 09:08 AM
Oh, I forgot to reply to that IC action. Yes, your Strength has returned. (for all).
YAY! I was really worried that was permanent it's been so long. But I guess that was in real time, not so much in game time.

Nevaera
2015-08-31, 09:38 AM
Still need to decide how the spells and gem use get prioritized. My opinion is posted above. What about yours? ...
1. Ash: Gem Healing
2. Bran: Heal Spell
3. Aditi: Heal Spell
4. Next Most Injured looking ally (Penny/Murray maybe? Or Ash/Bran if still hurt?): Heal Spell right before resting again. (Apparently Penny casts 3 CLW in a day for healing. Woohoo!)

I suggest we get heal totals for the first three results, then assess who remains most injured after that much is complete.

---
Spells = hard. XD

---

YAY! I was really worried that was permanent it's been so long. But I guess that was in real time, not so much in game time.
Yeah, me too! Yeah, guess it was only a couple days in game actually. XD We had one solid rest, one partial rest, then one more really solid rest. But I think it was no more than forty-eight hours total.

Roland St. Jude
2015-08-31, 12:54 PM
4. Next Most Injured looking ally (Penny/Murray maybe? Or Ash/Bran if still hurt?): Heal Spell right before resting again. (Apparently Penny casts 3 CLW in a day for healing. Woohoo!)

I suggest we get heal totals for the first three results, then assess who remains most injured after that much is complete.The numbers are:

Roland St. Jude
2015-08-31, 01:16 PM
Are you sure?Yes, I'm sure. You can call it rule interpretation or a house rule, if you like, but aside from one mention of using spells "found" in RC Chapter 3, it doesn't say how a MU can add those to the spellbook or what it might take or cost. I allow it with restrictions harsher than rewriting a known spell but easier than researching it from scratch.

There isn't really a comprehensive discussion on how spellbooks or learning spells works, so some interpretation or gap-filling is needed. To my reading, the RC suggests that the underlying design plan re: spells is to limit free flow of spells. With that in mind, I've made a judgment on how it should work.

I would also note that in this edition, there's nothing to suggest that a scroll can be copied into a spellbook.

Frivolous
2015-08-31, 01:38 PM
5 more HP of curing would bring Brandon up to full HP, but I think Ashala needs it more.

I suggested before that we rest one more time. I suggest it again, so that we have healing spells to use when we leave the room.

Edit: Also, since Invisibility is permanent until the subject attacks or the spell is dispelled, Neela can cast Invisibility on at least one of our thieves now and then rest again.

Gwendol
2015-08-31, 02:47 PM
I would also note that in this edition, there's nothing to suggest that a scroll can be copied into a spellbook.

While not disputing your ruling, this last bit seems to be contradicted by the rules cyclopedia (page 44?):

Scrolls: One magical treasure sometimes
found in adventures is the magical scroll. Some
scrolls have magic-user spells written upon
them. A magic-user can use the scroll by casting
the spell from it—in which case the written spell
disappears as soon as it is cast. Or, he can transfer
it to his spell book (during this process, the spell
disappears from the scroll), and he will have
gained a new spell.

It doesn't say how long that takes, but I find it hard to believe a treasure will set me back x1000 gold and a couple of weeks?

Roland St. Jude
2015-08-31, 03:09 PM
While not disputing your ruling, this last bit seems to be contradicted by the rules cyclopedia (page 44?):

It doesn't say how long that takes, but I find it hard to believe a treasure will set me back x1000 gold and a couple of weeks?You're right. I retract this comment on scrolls:

I would also note that in this edition, there's nothing to suggest that a scroll can be copied into a spellbook.That it doesn't necessarily mean that the MU knows the spell just because it's in his spellbook, though I suppose that's implied. *shrug* I'd rather not over-complicate things, so I guess we can make that assumption. Perhaps it's a magical benefit of scrolls, being a magic item, not present in others' spellbooks.

Nevaera
2015-08-31, 04:02 PM
5 more HP of curing would bring Brandon up to full HP, but I think Ashala needs it more.

I suggested before that we rest one more time. I suggest it again, so that we have healing spells to use when we leave the room.

Edit: Also, since Invisibility is permanent until the subject attacks or the spell is dispelled, Neela can cast Invisibility on at least one of our thieves now and then rest again.

Ash will be up to 20/23 after resting, Bran should be similar. I say we leave those two be if there's an NPC looking more wounded at this point.
Roland - are Penny/Murray/Neela hurt enough to benefit from a heal where sleeping won't top them up?

We're fully intending to rest up more before heading to the next level, but I think we could explore this level just a little with a back pocket heal spell that will be used right before resting if nothing occurs.
Plus we might as well look for traps with the spell... of Neela's, I think, while Mycah/Aditi is invisible already today. Otherwise it's a waste of spell, right?

Yeah, I totally agree that we'll have Invis. cast on one of the rogues again tonight. (I guess Mycah - Aditi can be invis. next "morning".)

Gwendol
2015-09-01, 01:19 AM
You're right. I retract this comment on scrolls:
That it doesn't necessarily mean that the MU knows the spell just because it's in his spellbook, though I suppose that's implied. *shrug* I'd rather not over-complicate things, so I guess we can make that assumption. Perhaps it's a magical benefit of scrolls, being a magic item, not present in others' spellbooks.

I would agree, seeing that the writing on the scroll vanishes when copied.

Roland St. Jude
2015-09-01, 10:29 PM
Roland - are Penny/Murray/Neela hurt enough to benefit from a heal where sleeping won't top them up?Neela and Penny's wounds are healed by rest. Murray will be -2 hp after the second day of rest.

Kish
2015-09-04, 07:05 AM
Need clarification of a couple things now. We rested once and so Aditi has two hit points back, correct?

Who is invisible? (My posts will be different if it's me than if it's Mycah.)

Roland St. Jude
2015-09-04, 12:17 PM
Need clarification of a couple things now. We rested once and so Aditi has two hit points back, correct?]Yes.

Who is invisible? (My posts will be different if it's me than if it's Mycah.)I believe Ash directed Neela to cast it on Mycah, in an attempt to alternate which thief is invisible.

Nevaera
2015-09-05, 01:12 PM
Yes, that is correct. ^_^

Frivolous
2015-09-05, 01:30 PM
The priest is dragged back into the bunkroom. His lantern and staff can be pried from his clenched hands. He wears chainmail under his robes. Nearby a sword, crossbow, and dagger hang on the wall. A potion sits on small table near the bed. A chest sits at the end of the bed, and the table is littered with papers.

Roland: May I ask if any of the above gear registered as magical?

And did we ever get the potion identified?

Roland St. Jude
2015-09-05, 01:53 PM
Roland: May I ask if any of the above gear registered as magical?

And did we ever get the potion identified?Neela did Analyze on the wand and Read Magic. If Athos did Detect Magic on all this stuff and I missed it, let me know. Otherwise, you still don't know.

Koren n'Rhys
2015-09-08, 08:20 AM
Amazing - Mycah actually succeeded on a skill roll.

Sorry for the delay (again). Last week I lost a couple of days getting my daughter off to college for the first time. :smallfrown: She's settled in at Northeastern Univ in Boston, about 5 hrs from home. All grown up...

Nevaera
2015-09-08, 08:31 AM
;_; Awww! Be strong and hang on. XD She'll want to skype occasionally, right? :D

Koren n'Rhys
2015-09-08, 08:34 AM
Skype? Yeah, right. I'll be lucky if I get a text once in a while. :smallsmile:
We'll try to talk on the weekends and stay in the loop. But, yeah, gonna be a big change with one less in the house.

Nevaera
2015-09-08, 02:14 PM
XD
With my parents (live in same city), I'm lucky if I get to talk on the phone with them more than once a month. :/ :smalltongue: I think it's mainly that our schedules don't align well (dad works and rests when I'm available, mom is out of town when she's not working - that kind of thing). They both have cell phones too - I don't. >.< I've never skyped before either, but I could if I set up a computer camera. :P
I bet it'll be very different with one less person, but I'm sure you'll get used to it in a few weeks/years. :smallwink:
---
Sorry for IC lack of posts lately guys - I'm just not sure on the best course of action, so it's good to see everyone putting their bits in (bits, like money ... 2 bits = $0.25).
:)

Gwendol
2015-09-09, 03:29 AM
Neela did Analyze on the wand and Read Magic. If Athos did Detect Magic on all this stuff and I missed it, let me know. Otherwise, you still don't know.

I don't have detect magic...

Kish
2015-09-09, 09:31 AM
Then we don't know if they're magic. Welcome to OD&D.

Nevaera
2015-09-10, 09:44 AM
Penny or Neela might have Detect Magic if they take it ... :/ But Penny would have taken CLW rather and Neela was busy identifying and such.

Frivolous
2015-09-14, 04:29 PM
I will delay posting a bit so Aditi and maybe Mycah can get their backstab in.

Kish
2015-09-14, 06:26 PM
Got bad news for you there; Aditi is not going to immediately try to backstab him (unless Roland wants to clarify that this is DEFINITELY SOMETHING NO ONE COULD MISTAKE FOR A SITUATION WHERE TALKING MIGHT BE APPROPRIATE--or that the legends of the minotaur state that it kills everyone on sight).

Edited to add: Or indeed if he does; she currently has six hit points (which, in this edition, means six points away from death), and will only go into melee rather than using her bow if it looks a lot more vital than it currently does.

Roland St. Jude
2015-09-14, 10:07 PM
Minotaurs of legend are known for being 7-9" tall, especially strong men with bull heads. They can gore with horns and bite in combat, as well as wielding larger than normal weapons. Minotaur casters are rumored to exist. They are often placed in positions of military command, jailers, and arena combatants (where such things exist).

In this edition's alignment, they are "Chaotic," but not reputed to be particularly heinous or evil, save that they are also rumored to eat humans.

Frivolous
2015-09-15, 01:08 AM
Ouch. I'd forgotten Aditi was so low in HP.

Nevaera
2015-09-15, 09:37 AM
Ash wouldn't want Aditi to go in right away, but remember she got back 5 or 6 HP from the healing - I specifically remember that. There's one heal left cause we never properly assigned it and planned to save it to cast right before we rest again, in case of further injury.
But Ash, Bran, and Aditi all had healing done on them. So Aditi is around 10-12 HP now. ^_^ But since she's invisible and a minotaur is exceptionally tough and strong, it's probably better she be on lookout or try to avoid it's ire for the time being.

Hopefully Ash's suggestions in combat vibe well with the team. ^_^

Kish
2015-09-15, 09:57 AM
I need clarification of the situation. Did we rest once or twice before finding this minotaur? Did someone cast a healing spell on Aditi, or just plan to do so after the next time we rest? I know Mycah is invisible, is Aditi too, or (again) were we planning for her to be after the next time we rest?

Roland St. Jude
2015-09-15, 12:37 PM

I suggest we get heal totals for the first three results, then assess who remains most injured after that much is complete.

The numbers are:

(So, based on these two posts, Aditi recovered 5 hp from one of Penny's spells.

Need clarification of a couple things now. We rested once and so Aditi has two hit points back, correct?

Yes.
And two more from the night's rest.

The party only rested one night, got heal spells, and is exploring, the plan was to rest one more night after checking out this level.

Frivolous
2015-09-15, 12:58 PM
Kish: We rested only once. As far as I know, only Mycah got Invisibility cast on him.

As for healing, Aditi got healed 5 HP. See here: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=19751865&postcount=458

Nevaera
2015-09-15, 06:14 PM
Oh yeah, that's right. I wasn't thinking about which person the invis spell was cast on, but it was supposed to be Mycah only so far. We're between the sleeps (still need one more).

So Aditi has +7 HP from what she used to the other day and she's not invisible. :)

Thanks for the help with that, guys. ^_^

Gwendol
2015-09-17, 02:00 AM
Sorry, got swamped this week (business travel with dodgy internet) and as I got back stuff hit the fan at work. I might be gone another week. Please NPC me as needed.

Matthew
2015-09-17, 02:59 AM
Nathros healed two hit points, right?

Frivolous
2015-09-17, 09:31 AM
Nathros healed two hit points, right?

From resting, yes.

Roland St. Jude
2015-09-18, 02:23 PM
I'm traveling this weekend, which might mean no update until Monday. But we'll see.

Koren n'Rhys
2015-09-18, 02:30 PM
Safe Travels!

Koren n'Rhys
2015-09-21, 09:58 AM
Aaaaannd of COURSE it was a miss. Why do I bother? :smallconfused:

Nevaera
2015-09-24, 01:53 PM
XD
Ah well. He can always go invisible again tomorrow if he'd more rather that than Aditi. :smalltongue:
---
That minotaur would have been really strong and would likely hit often, I figure (high STR aids THAC0), so I guess Ash's armour wasn't helping as much as she'd hope, but it was worth a try. Lucky he didn't hit super hard that round. XD Ash was lucky (being mostly healed before hand didn't hurt either, mind you). :smallwink:

Gwendol
2015-09-24, 05:23 PM
Got things sorted out, so back!

Nevaera
2015-09-24, 05:33 PM
Yay! :D :smallsmile:

Koren n'Rhys
2015-09-25, 08:31 AM
Referring back to OOC post #463, Ash was healed to 20/23, and she only got his the one time for 5 hp right? So, really, she's still at 15/23 and in pretty good shape. Not sure if you really want to use our last CLW on her yet or not.

I was playing up Mycah's reaction more for the RP than a real danger to Ash at this point.

Nevaera
2015-09-25, 08:38 AM
Nah, she's at 13 (10 shy of total) until she sleeps. 20/23 for Ash and Brandon was a calculation to match the next rest period. But with a successful heal from Athos and a good rest, she'll be at 17/23 which could go to 22/23 and give her more staying power as a "tank" for the next day when everyone gets more serious and tries a new level or some such. And the heal spell is for right before bed, whoever needs it most, right? Not for right this second still. :)

I was playing up the situation for RP as well. ^_^

Nevaera
2015-10-03, 11:25 AM
The gold & silver bars and the axe have been added to the bag of holding, noted on my character sheet. ^_^
I appreciate any time that action is taken in character 'cause when the items are clearly described that way, it's easier to know what we're keeping and that we for sure have had them passed off to go into the bag. :D
Woohoo! ... in general. XD

Frivolous
2015-10-04, 01:22 AM
Roland, what about the minotaur's chain mail Bran is examining?

Roland St. Jude
2015-10-04, 01:31 AM
Roland, what about the minotaur's chain mail Bran is examining?oops, I missed that one. Nice, not smelly, but mundane as near as one can tell and bigger than human sized.