PDA

View Full Version : Old Ways OOC IV

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Roland St. Jude
2010-09-12, 04:37 PM
This is the OoC thread for Old Ways, a BECMI/Rules Cyclopedia game. In the interest of clarity and in case we have some newer PbP players, I'll give the basic PbP and game-specific guidelines.

Less than a generation ago, Duke Stefan Karameikos traded his ancestral Thyatian lands for this vast expanse of untamed but resource rich territory. While the new Duchy of Karameikos has been quite prosperous, the land is only nominally under the Duke's control. Pockets of native Traladarians continue to live on their ancestral homelands within the Duchy, but that is the least of the Duke's problems. The dark forests and rolling hills hide bands of hostile humanoids, monsters of legend, and unknown secrets. Recent expeditions have uncovered ancient ruins and considerable subterranean activity. Still, much is unknown about this land. In thirty short years, it has become one of the great nations of the world, and it pays only token fealty to the Empire. ~Athan Chiron, Thyatian Imperial Historian, on the Duchy of Karameikos

"The Thyatians are a decent enough folk, but they fail to respect our traditions or our lands. They rush headlong into perils they do not understand, but who are we to stop them. They've not sought our counsel, nor would they respect it, I suppose. ~Ceroth Caelon, Former Traladarian Clan Elder

"Karameikos? Who would go to Karameikos? That's like I saying, 'I'm going to wander into the wilderness for no good reason.' There's nothing there – no comfort, no big cities, no luxury, no good food nor wine. Just humanoids, superstitious natives, and stupid Thyatian soldiers." ~Dmitri Alzenkov, Glantrian nobleman

"No where else in the Known World is there such opportunity as Karameikos. No where else are there such good and industrious folk. An entire nation of builders, workers, and adventurers. Even our nobles are hard-working and self-made. There's opportunity here for all who want it and wealth as far as the eye can see. Even the secrets of this land hold hidden treasure." ~Lord Bost, Threshold
--------------------------------------------
Recruitment Information - Read this if you want to play. It's important.

I am DMing a BECMI/Rules Cyclopedia game elsewhere and it's going very well. We've managed to capture some of that old-school feel. I'd like to run one here. Players should have either the BECMI texts or the Rules Cyclopedia.

Some aspects of play that I think are important to providing that feel are:

characters start at first level;
characters start young, relatively ignorant about the larger world, and not terribly genre-savvy;
tactical combat is achieved through roleplay not rules
far more is left to DM judgment than in later editions (things like WBL, settlement GP limit, etc.)
players should not expect that the universe operates by RAW. RAW is a guideline by which the game progresses, the DM may fudge, cheat, ignore, or abrogate it at will, though obviously a good DM does so for the greater good;
potentially high lethality for characters;
characters will grow powerful through increasing genre-savvyness and roleplay far more than through rules-mastery;
fast-paced, consistent posting, and,
ultimately, I hope, a stable, steady gaming group.

I hope to get together a group of players interested in a game under these conditions and we'll see what happens. My goal is to create the kind of narrative where characters (and the universe they know) start very small but grow in depth as well as power.

Requirements for Players:
1. Must post 1/day minimum
2. An interest in and willingness to play under the conditions noted above and the rules detailed below.
3. Solid writing ability
4. Good roleplaying ability or an earnest desire to develop such an ability
5. A desire to have fun and make things fun for everyone else.

The classic 16 questions pioneered by Bernard Pivot:

1. What game are you running (D&D, CoC, Palladium, etc.), and if applicable what edition (Original, Classic, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 10th, etc.)?
BECMI/Rules Cyclopedia D&D. Familiarity with the setting is not important.

2. What 'type' or variant of game will it be? When and where will the game be set? The game will be set in a homebrew variant of the Known World, starting in the town of Threshold in the Grand Duchy of Karameikos and expanding outward.

3. How many Players are you looking for? 4-6 but given the likelihood players not keeping up with the fast and strict posting schedule, I will keep a list of alternates. It is my hope to settle on 4-6 players who like the game, can meet the schedule, and are willing to play through any character mortality.

4. What's the gaming medium (OOTS, chat, e-mail etc.)? GitP.

5. What is the characters' starting status (i.e. experience level)? Characters start at Level 1 with zero experience points. Characters roll a d100 for Family Social Status/Wealth.

6. How much gold or other starting funds will the characters begin with? 3d6x10 gp

7. Are there any particular character classes, etc, are permitted? The Basic Classes are permitted as is Mystic.

8. What races, subraces, species, etc. are allowed for your game? Humans are permitted and may be Traladarian or Thytian. Elf, Dwarf, and Halfling are permitted race/classes.

9. By what method should Players generate their attributes/ability scores and Hit Points? By the book. 3d6 six times. They fall in this order: Str, Int, Wis, Dex, Con, Cha. Re-roll is allowed when you have two Ability Score rolls under 6.

Points may be moved from one score to another with these conditions:
1. The prime requisite goes up 1 point for each 2 points that another ability score goes down. If a character has two prime requisites, both can be raised (the cost must be paid separately for each point to each prime req.)
2. Constitution and Charisma points cannot be raised or lowered.
3. Dexterity cannot be lowered (but it may be raised for a thief or halfling character).
4. No score can be lowered below 9. If it is already 10 or less, it cannot be lowered.

Take heed of the Prime Requisites and Minimum Ability Scores.

Players are advised to roll first and select a class second.

10. Does your game use alignment? What are your restrictions, if so? Yes. Characters must be Lawful or Neutral. Characters must be loyal to the party/fellow PCs. Intra-party conflict should be kept to a minimum. Personality conflicts and differences of opinion are expected and dramatically useful. Thieving from the party, opposing its goals, and attacking one another are not useful. Hogging the spotlight and melodrama are likewise not helpful

11. Do you allow multi-classing, or have any particular rules in regards to it? No and no.

12. Will you be doing all of the die rolling during the course of the game? Will die rolls be altered, or left to the honor system? Character creation rolls should be made in this thread. Players' die rolls during play will be done by players in the IC thread (under a spoiler tag). Players who would prefer to let the DM roll or who are uncertain whether to roll can state their bonuses in the spoiler and the DM will roll. DM rolls, including secret rolls for the PCs, will be done by the DM out of sight of players. Obviously, Players should never alter dice rolls, cheat on modifiers, etc. Old school justice for such violations will be meted out.

13. Are there any homebrewed rules or optional/variant rules that your Players should know about? We will use the following optional rules:

Weapon Mastery
Skills
Non-Lethal Combat
Group Initiative
Keeping Characters Alive (modified) (0 hp = unconscious; Character must make save vs. Death Ray at the end of the round, any time more damage is taken, and then at the end of each subsequent turn (10 minutes); Failure = death).

House Rules/Interpretations Added During Play:

Natural Healing is 2 hp/day
A character may use a Healing Skill check on a character dropped below zero hp in an attempt to bring them up to above zero hp. If successful, the injured character does not fall unconscious and does not need to make a Save vs. Death Ray.
Firing into melee is resolved this way. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=15652584&postcount=135)
Natural 20 die roll on attacks usually equal max damage.

14. Is a character background required? If so, how big? Are you looking for anything in particular (i.e. the backgrounds all ending up with
the characters in the same city)? A written character background demonstrates writing quality, use of the PbP format, sense of old school tone, and some investment. I don't need a novel. A short biography and/or a couple vignettes of the character are helpful. Of course, more details and characterization will come out in play.

All characters must be young locals of Threshold or recent immigrants to the city. One conceit of this game is that the characters are relatively unworldly and inexperienced, please work with that. All characters must have some positive relationship (though it need not be family or close friendship) with at least two other characters. You can work out this detail after being selected. If you want to all be part of an already existing (though new) adventuring company, that's fine, too.

15. Does your game involve a lot of hack&slash, puzzle solving, roleplaying, or a combination of the above? I have high expectations for roleplaying, even during combat, and XP will be awarded for what I regard as useful characterization and helpful interaction with others. I expect a significant amount of combat. It is my intention to run combat without map, handling things by description, and being a bit loose about the tactical details. Some adventures might present puzzles in their design or there may be puzzles in the plot, but explicit puzzles will probably be relatively few.

16. Are your Players restricted to particular rulebooks and supplements, or will you be allowing access to non-standard material? What sources can Players use for their characters? Yes. Use the Rules Cyclopedia, if you have it, otherwise use the Mentzer Basic book to make your character. Older B/X books or the Dark Dungeons retro-clone might also be useful alternatives, though I'll be running things by the RC/BECMI.

Plus,
17. What is the expected pace of this game? Players are required to post 1/day minimum. From the time of my DM post, players have 24 hours to post their next action. Failure to do so will result in a DM selected (in)action for the character. Time away with warning is understandable, but failure to post timely on a repeated basis will result in removal from the game - possibly in a lethal manner for the character.

I welcome additional questions and look forward to putting a group together.

EDIT:
Active character list:
Frivolous - Brandon Bor (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=18059635&postcount=3) - Fighter
Matthew -Nathros (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=18059635&postcount=4) - Dwarf
Nevaera - Ashala Bost (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=18059637&postcount=5) - Fighter
Koren n'Rhys - Mycah Deshiel (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=18059635&postcount=6) - Thief
Kish - Aditi (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=18059640&postcount=7) - Thief
Gwendol - Athos the frail (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=18059675&postcount=8) -Magic User

PCs on hiatus
Lyceios - Stefan Reinhardt (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=12836001#post12836001) - Cleric

Former PCs
ArchDruid - Penelope (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=18059635&postcount=9)
MeanMrsMustard - Alanna Nightengale (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=15257672&postcount=7) - Cleric
Battlemage - Dural Arkenvir (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=15349397&postcount=43) - Magic User
Tsunamiatunzen1 - Artanis Tu'el Tassadar (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=14100852) - Elf
thirdkingdom -
Algernon "Algie" Blackthorn (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=14660387) - Magic User
Altair the Vexed - Alastor Talsarios (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=14100848) - Magic User
jmbrown - Jeanne By The River (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=9400643&postcount=3) - Elf
Stengir - Gregaros - Thief
TruorTupnm - Sid "The Sneak" Aimes - Thief
strangefate - Orthon Zinthalos - Magic User
sbwilson - Petrillia - Magic User
Rebel Rogue - Stefan - Cleric

Roland St. Jude
2010-09-14, 11:28 AM
Format for IC Posts:

Character Name

"Character speech, often further differentiated by being colored text, preferably a color different from those of other characters in the game," the characters other actions are written as part of the paragraph, as if in a novel. Character thoughts are written in the same character color and italicized.

For telepathic communication, put wavy brackets around the though {Can you hear me now?}

I encourage you to include in your IC post:
1. character actions, typically in the third-person and present tense. Try to phrase things in terms of what your character does but not the result (so, "Rath charges the shambling undead drawing his blade as he moves and unleashes his full fury on the abomination," but not "Rath charges the shambling undead drawing his blade as he moves and slices into the abomination." Leave room for potential failure in your description. Likewise when describing an action with variable success (when casting cure light wounds you can infuse an ally with healing power, but you shouldn't describe that as fully healing the ally).
2. Character comments (things actually said aloud)
3. Character thoughts (these are the explicit verbatim thoughts of the character)
4. Narrative that fleshes out the character intentions, motivations, background experiences, etc. These are the things that make for a good story and good explanation of the characters. The best PbP games that I've played have had a goodly amount of this kind of narrative.

Separating by paragraphs at conversation breaks or at logical action breaks is a good idea.

Put the mechanics behind your actions in a spoiler labeled OOC:

HP: 3 AC: 6 Spells in effect: Invisibility

After the status bar above, explain your action in game terms with appropriate rolls etc. Use the forum roller. You may explain and roll for alternate actions, if it seems helpful. 1d20+2

If you leave out a roll that I determine you'll need, I'll refer to your character sheet and make the appropriate roll myself. Keep your character sheet up-to-date at all times, as I'll be referring to it for things related to your character.

If you have skills or background that are relevant to something you're trying to do, post that in the Spoiler box and I'll take it into account.

Rolling Rules

For most actions that require rolls, you'll do so yourself in the IC thread under your Spoiler tab. If you forget a roll or need to confirm a critical, you can do that in the OOC thread. You should also roll your character creation rolls here in the OOC thread.

I will make all NPC rolls out of sight and simply announce results in the IC thread in narrative form.

I will make certain secret PC rolls out of sight (such as whether you hear something).

I will probably make initiative checks and saving throws for PCs to keep things moving.

Obviously, do not attempt to edit rolls once made or otherwise cheat on rolls.

Prior OOC Threads
Old Ways OOC III (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?284118)
Old Ways OOC II (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?257445)
Old Ways OOC I (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?169679)

Frivolous
2010-09-18, 03:51 PM
Brandon Bor
Lawful Thyatian Male Fighter
Level 5, XP 30,531
Speech Color: Blue

Description: A short but stocky broad-faced farm boy with seal-brown hair, blue eyes, and big capable hands. He often has a dreamy expression on his face and colored ink on his fingers. Height is 5 feet 7 inches and weight is 170 pounds. He has to shave every couple of days to control his whiskers.

By the time he reaches 3rd level, Brandon looks comfortable in plate mail. He is used to spending much of the day and fighting for his life in the heavy armor.
Strength 14
Intelligence 9
Wisdom 13
Dexterity 10
Constitution 11
Charisma 14

Hit Points: 23 (up from 16 at 4th level)
Armor Class: 3 (-1 with shield)
Base Thac0: 17
Movement: 60' / 20' / 60'

Weapons:
Short Bow: Thac0 17; Damage 1d6; Range 50/100/150
Sword: Thac0 16; Damage 1d8+1
Hand Axe: Thac0 16; Damage 1d6+1 ; Range 10/20/30
Dagger +1: Thac0 15; Damage 1d4+2; Range 10/20/30
Oil Flask: Thac0 17; Damage 1d8; Range 10/20/30

Saving Throws:
Death Ray/Poison 10, Magic Wands 11, Paralysis/Petrification 12, Breath Weapon 13, Spells 14.

Weapon Mastery: Short Bow, Hand Axe, Dagger, Sword
Skills: Art (Drawing and Painting), Muscle, Profession (Farmer), Riding
Languages: Common, Lawful

Possessions:

Money:
Platinum:
Gold: 873 as of 05/03/2013. 13 is on Bran's person. 860 of that is kept at the Bor manor.
Electrum: 100
Silver:
Copper:
Other: Fanged metal amulet (healing potion was used on Artanis)
Encumbrance: 780

Equipment:
Enormous warhorse, so far unnamed (worth 350 gp)

Plate Mail, 60 gp, 500 cn
Shield of Courage +3 (immune to fear effects)(borrowed from Natalya Bor), 100 cn
Short Bow plus Quivers with 30 arrows,25 gp + 5 gp + 20 gp, 30 cn (bought new arrows after reaching 3rd level)
Quiver with 10 silver-tipped arrows (50 gp, bought after reaching 3rd level)
Sword, 10 gp, 60 cn
Dagger, 3 gp, 10 cn
Silver Dagger 30 gp, 10 cn (bought after reaching 3rd level)
Dagger+1 (as of 06/01/2013)

Miscellaneous equipment: 80 cn

7 Flasks of Oil (bought 5 more flasks after reaching 3rd level)

Waterskin, 1 gp
Backpack, 5 gp
Large sack, 2 gp
Rope 50 feet, 1 gp
Flint and steel, 3 gp
Garlic, 5 gp
Wolfsbane (1 bunch), 10 gp

Iron Rations - 2 weeks, 30 gp (bought more rations after reaching 3rd level)
1 quart of wine, 1 gp
12 torches, 2 gp (bought more after reaching 3rd level)

3 doses each of herbs for treating poison or disease and to bring calm.
Tapestry of black dragon, trolls and giants woven by Blazzan and that once belonged to Thyatian noble Arcturo Lucius Nicosian.

Background: Family Social Status: 81
Brandon is the second to the last child of the wealthy farmer Boris Bor. His mother is Natalya Bor, once a fighter before she retired to marry Boris. His family all worked hard on the farm. Even as a small boy, Brandon did chores. He did heavier work as he grew older and filled out, becoming the burly young man he is today.

Seeing as he has three elder brothers and four sisters, he did not expect to inherit much in the way of wealth. Thus, he practiced his weapon skills in hopes of becoming an adventurer and becoming a Lord.

Brandon was going to set off on his own wearing only chain mail, but his father gave him a suit of plate mail as a going away present.

Brandon practices art as a hobby. He is not very good at it, but his family still sees fit to display some of his paintings in their manor.

Matthew
2010-09-20, 05:20 PM
Name: Nathros

Race: Dwarf

Alignment: Lawful

Description:

Nathros is young, of tan complexion, blue eyed and auburn haired. Like most of his kindred, he has a thick beard and wears his hair long, is strong of arm and steadfast of will, but unlike them he is unusually tall, as well as agile and quick, even for a youth. A somewhat difficult life and inherently introverted demeanour has made him socially awkward, often quiet, but prone to fits of anger if he feels himself slighted or overlooked.

History:

Coming from a numerous but poor clan, Nathros was denied the opportunity to join the priesthood, a vocation to which others thought him naturally well suited, and was seemingly destined for a rather unremarkable life. His days spent alone roaming the hills and mountains did Nathros little good, and his subsequent attempt to find purpose in service as a temple soldier did not bring him the peace of mind he desired. Eventually, he determined to see more of the world for himself, and to that end took ship for Karameikos, hoping to serve there as a mercenary or perhaps find more lucrative ventures that would stir his spirit and provide him with a clear sense of his worth, purpose, and place in the world.

Speech: Green

Level: Five

Experience: 28,597 (30,026.85)

Attributes:

Strength 14 (+1)
Dexterity 14 (+1)
Constitution 9 (+0)
Intelligence 9 (+0)
Wisdom 15 (+1)
Charisma 8 (−1)

Saving Throws:

Death Ray/Poison 6
Magic Wands 7
Paralysis/Petrification 8
Breath Weapon 10
Spells 9

Hit Points: 16

Armour Class: 4(−2)

THAC0: 17(16)

Movement Speed: 60(20)

Weapons:

Short Bow: THAC0 17(16); Damage 1d6+1 (50/100/150)
Pole Axe +3: THAC0 17(13); Damage 1d10+4
Spear: THAC0 17(16); Damage 1d6+1 (20/40/60)
Hand Axe: THAC0 17(16); Damage 1d6+1 (10/20/30)
Short Sword: THAC0 17(16); Damage 1d6+1
Dagger +1: THAC0 17(15); Damage 1d4+2 (10/20/30)

Weapon Choices: As Dwarf.

Skills: Stealth (Hills and Mountains 70%), Nature Lore (Hills and Mountains 45%), Survival (Hills and Mountains 45%), and Tracking (45%).

Languages: Common, Lawful, Dwarf, Gnome, Goblin, and Kobold.

Abilities: Lance Charge, Set Spear, Infravision (60'), and Detection.

Family Social Status: Struggling.

Possessions:

Plain Clothes, 5 SP, 20 CN
Plain Belts, 4 SP, 10 CN
Belt Pouch, 5 SP, 2 CN
Plain Boots, 1 GP, 10 CN
Long Cloak, 1 GP, 15 CN
Coins: 2 GP, 6 SP

Pole Axe +3, 120 GP, CN
Shield, 10 GP, 100 CN
Short Sword, 7 GP, 30 CN
Hand Axe, 4 GP, 30 CN
Dagger +1, ? GP, 10 CN
Banded Mail +4 ? GP, ? CN
Encumbrance: ? CN

Back Pack, 5 GP, 20 CN (Capacity 400 CN)
Seven Days Standard Rations, 5 GP, 200 CN
Water Skin, 1 GP, 30 CN
Encumbrance: 250 CN (270 w/clothes)

Potion of Strength/Heroism

Encumbrance: 8 + 790 + 270 = 1,068

+ 50 GP
+ Shield (10 GP)
+ 50 GP
+ Plated Mail Armour (60 GP)
+ 50 GP

On Wagon

Short Bow
Twenty-Four Arrows
Spear, 3 GP, 30 CN
47 GP
100 EP
6 CP

Stored

Plated Mail Armour, 60 GP, 500 CN
Mail Armour, 40 GP, 400 CN
Dagger, 3 GP, 10 CN

Nevaera
2011-11-11, 02:19 PM
Ashala Bost
Female Human
Alignment: Lawful
Appearance: 5'6", 135lbs, 18 years old (soon to be 19), Light Olive Skin, Dark Green Eyes, Bobcut (longer at front) Light Brown Hair (Golden Bronze / Dark Golden Blonde).
Level 5: 29328 XP
Speech Color: Olive

Hit Points: 22/23 (3+1, 6+1, 4+1, 2+1, 6+1; 26 -3 Perm.; = 23)
Armor Class: -1[-4] (+3 Plate Mail + Dex. Mod. [+ Shield +2 vs. 1st Att./Rnd. from Skilled in Sword])
Base Thac0: 17
Movement: 90'/30'/90' (With weapons, armor, and Bag of Holding)
Encumbrance: under 700 cn

Stats:
Strength 11
Intelligence 10
Wisdom 9
Dexterity 13 (Mod. +1)
Constitution 14 (Mod. +1)
Charisma 11

Saving Throws:
Death Ray/Poison: 10,
Magic Wands: 11,
Paralysis/Turn to Stone: 12,
Breath Attack: 13,
Rod/Staff/Spell: 14.

Weapons:
Magic Shield of Petra: At great cost, can heal mortal wounds, sense danger, etc...
Short Bow: Thac0 15; Damage 1d6; Range 50/100/150
Magic Sword "Trollbane": Thac0 13; Damage 1d12
Spear: Thac0 16 [15 Thrown]; Damage 1d6; Range 20/40/60
Burning Oil: Thac0 16 [Thrown]; Damage 1d8; Range 10/30/50
Magic Dagger: Thac0 17 [16 Thrown]; Damage 1d4+1?; Range 10/30/50?

Weapon Choices:
Bow (short), Sword (normal), Spear, Lance.

Enhanced Weapon Skill:
Sword (normal).Deflect(1) means that in addition to your normal attack(s) each round, you can attempt to deflect one melee or thrown weapon attack each round by making a Save vs. Death Ray.

Disarm is a special attack you can do (instead of your normal attack). You roll for your attack as normal, if you are successful, you force a Dexterity check by the opponent, which if failed means he's disarmed.
Skill Choices:
Acrobatics 13, Alertness 13, Riding (Horse) 13, Healing 10.

(Starting Gold: 130g, Reward Gold: 100g, Loot Gold: 231g - 25g at temple, - 250g for Training, + 1293g from Fangs' Ship, - 45g for armor for hirelings, -277g for Warhorse, + 600g for hobgoblin mission.)

Equipment:
"Trollbane" longsword [Magical +2, w/ +3 vs. regenerating creatures](60cn)
Spear (30cn) 3gp
Short Bow (20cn) 25gp
10 arrows (5cn) 5gp
Old Magic Dagger (tucked into armored boot)
Shield, 1 bonus to AC (100cn) 10gp
Plate Mail, 7 bonus to AC (500cn) 60gp [I think it was Jemaine who now wears this]
Plate Mail (+3 Comfort), 10 bonus to AC (500cn)
Warhorse w/ Saddle + Tack and Saddlebags (**) 277g

BAG of HOLDING:Undistributed Treasure
(U) = Unidentified Effect

Coins: 100e (50g) + 20g(paralyzed crater orc)[1297 -18 for horse rental, - 25 for Merlinda, -320 reward to hired help, + 2405gp from loot sales, -3000* to pay party = 339 - 795 + 2000e that's been divided (paid 250g to Ash, 400g to eight main party members, 360e(180g) for draft horses and cart, 240e(120g) to Penny and hirelings, 100e(50g) left). Party still owes Ash 206g. Party owes Neela 240pp=1200g.]

Unorganized:
He (gnoll leader, first dark cave @ "temple") has a Sash with Gold Buckle, a large sack at his waist with 100 gold pieces, a ruby, a diamond, a potion engraved with the Traladaran symbol for "forever," and a dozen arrows bound with a leather cord.

Dark priest's mail armor? (x2)
A fine steel shield, a well-balanced spear (Mycah carries this), and a sack.
A shield, thin dagger, and small sack.
A small coin pouch tied to his belt contains a three gems - green, orange, and black.
Dark Priest's wand-stick OF HEALING (Penny carries this).
a fair number of scattered copper pieces
and a pair of blue sapphires

Of the five swords (one of which is very fine),
five spears,
five daggers,
five spider symbols,
four chain mail suits,
one suit of leather armor,
one potion,
one wand, (of passageway opening?)
one small spider brooch,
and a cubic wooden box about a half-foot wide (Athos and Mycah working on inspecting).

From end of Temple: The dead clerics have a relative treasure trove amongst them:
four potions, four scrolls, two wands, a mace, a warhammer, and two shields.
One is also wearing banded mail under his robes.
An egg which is a bit heavier and sturdier than an actual chicken egg.
A leather pouch holds a dozen red gems.
Three potions, a scroll labelled "protection from elementals," and an ancient looking spear.

Weapons:
Axe from Minotaur.

Armor:

Jewelry:
gold ring with a large onyx gemstone (locked at Lord Bost's)
delicate lady’s ring gold clear stone (locked at Lord Bost's - worth 1500-3000g as a pair)
Silver and gold bracelet (from paralyzed orc at crater - Aditi wears it, Brandon "gave" it to her?)

Scrolls:

Wands:
Wand of paralyzation (4 charges left) (Athos has this)

Potions:
Potion of Heroism (for Ash if needed - works well with magic sword)
[S]Potion of Undead Control - Ash is using it in the fight with the spider diety/daughter. Not sure how long it lasts.
Potion of Stone Giant Control - pinkish in a battered bottle
2 Holy Water Flasks (Ash will give one to Aditi and one to Nathros)

Miscellaneous:
Snake Skin Cape
Snake Skin Mask
fine clothing
Viper's documents (copy)
sack of dried juniper berries
Wyvern parts
Gold Bar from Minotaur (400 coins worth)
Silver Bar from Minotaur (400 coins worth)
Backpack (20cn) 5gp [This is in the Bag of Holding usually.]-Rope 50' (50cn) 1gp
-Waterskin (30cn) 1gp
-Oil, Burning x 1 (10cn) 14g
-Rations (200cn) 5gp (second pack of rations)
-Normal Sword (60cn) 10gp
-Cloak, long (**) 1gp
-Bandages (**) 1gp
-3.5 weeks of Iron Rations (250cn)
1633g worth left (190p locked up at Lord Bost's, 177g and 600e(300g) on person, [206gp worth loaned to party,])
Alanna's leftover things:
Alanna's Holy Symbol (Penny carries in memory)
Bedroll
Platemail and shield (Penny wears and owns)
Healer's Wooden Box (Penny has and owns):
Gem that grants Cure Serious Wounds 1/day (used on Nathros for today, I believe)
[S]Two Potions of Antidote (type 10) [used on Ash at temple?]
Two Potions of Cure Serious Wounds (one of which Mycah is now carrying)
Two jars of Ointment of Soothing
Two bandages
2308 gp, 7 cp
Extra travelling supplies: [in Bag of Holding when possible]
-100' Rope (100cn)1gp
-6 Torches (120cn)1gp
-2 Weeks preserved rations for party [13ppl] (1820cn)390gp cost
-1 Week unpreserved rations for party [13ppl] (2600cn)65gp *party supplied their own rations on the first week*
-2 10' Wooden Poles (200cn)2gp
-3 Tents, 3/4 people each (*cn)?gp
-4 Oil Flasks (40cn)2gp ea. (Mycah has 3, one is recovered from being unused)
-2 Handsize Steel Mirrors (10cn)10gp (Returned to bag from crater tent attack)
-Sturdy Pot and Tripod (100cn?)1gp
-Supplies to skin and harvest a carcass (50cn?)*gp
-3 Riding Horses and trappings for Hirelings to ride (*)315gp (All horses left with Brett and Jemaine)

Description:

Ash has a golden bronze bob-cut, dark green eyes, light olive skin, and light freckles across her cheeks which bridge over her nose. She now has armor that is enchanted plate mail and is designed to suit the female form. It is not fitted, but it doesn't look manly or androgynous like her first set of armor.

Her cloak is rust colored and she carries a standard pack across her back, complete with shield, bow, arrows, spear, and a sword at her side. To the common sort, it would seem a bit much for one to carry, but to an adventurer, it's no burden when the lives of you and your companions are on the line.

When nothing particular is said, she usually keeps a focused expression on her face.
Bio:

1Her father's name is Lord Amund Bost, older brother to Lord Jokkum Bost. Ashala Bost has recently arrived in Karameikos to join in her uncle's efforts to secure the keep and assist those under his employ. She seeks to prove herself and practice that which she has learned while making a name for herself and honoring her father's name. She does not readily divulge information regarding her family connections as she puts a high standard on herself to never tarnish their names by relation. Upon "making it" in the world, she will "inherit" her last name again. Or so was her goal. Since she's been working for her uncle, it's not been easy to guise her identity at all.

She has a sister, Henna, a sixteen year old studious young woman of great beauty. Not much of a fighter, though.

Ashala is nineteen years old with a passion for skill in battle. As a youth, she'd practice sword-play with the boys, archery by herself, and spears and lances with the men as she got older. She even learned to aim a lance upon horseback - not an easy feat. She wished the battle tactics classes would sink in better and she could remember the lessons they taught her, but she was a girl more suited to a hands on approach, rather than just reading things out of a textbook like her sister would.

None the less, her father was proud of both of them, just in different ways. She did well enough in her healing classes at the temple, perhaps because they let her practice so much and sometimes she'd assist in treating some of the more hearty injuries as well. Her hands were nimble and her eyes keen. Some lesser folk thought she'd make an excellent thief or pirate, but it would be a considered a disgrace among her people to choose such a life for herself. She would be ousted from the family for certain. Her personal opinion on the matter was only to not disappoint them as she searches for her place in the world. Of course, at this time, Ashala has proved to be a promising descendant of the Bost line as she journeyed off to the lands of Karameikos.2A little more experienced and a little more open-minded, Ash returned to Lord Bost after a successful mission to lead workers to inhabit and care for the Keep that the companions set out to secure.

She tries to find her place among her comrades as a worthy leader while still hoping to lose the false respect that her name governs over her peers.3After completing the task with her companions of clearing the caves of undead, a carrion crawler, and the goons from a gang called the Fangs, Ash recognizes the the value of vigilance for her comrades' sake.

Her colder and masculine front have begun to make way for a more protective and self sacrificing nature.3.5A successful attack was made against the Fangs at their hideout, a ship called the River Rose. None of her companions died, though for some it came close. Though there is much to be learned and understood from those close calls and the battles they faced, Ash considers this a true victory.

She looks forward to continuing her sword training and hopes to one day be worthy of knighting. For now, she plans to take it one day at a time.4Ash has lost the first life under her command. She keeps a strong front, but it cuts her deep inside. She was so close, yet so useless and unassertive in Algernon's time of need. She wonders if she'll make such a mistake again soon, or if she'll be lucky for a while. She accepts this is a danger they all risk and know full well, but so far she's tried very hard to keep between her allies and death. She had not anticipated or imagined so much power could spout from such a foe. There is still much good she believes her and her group can accomplish, however. Perhaps a little rest and simple guard duty will get everyone back on their feet and eager for the next mission after the caravan leaves. Perhaps they'll even gain another lead...4.5Armed with new team members and a dire quest to perhaps save the known world from despicable plots and ancient evils, Ash has set out once more to lead her Rangers.

After an unexpected victory over wild, berzerker, mountain men and a diplomatic arrangement with the dark mining dwarves, it seemed her luck was changing and that she once again might be able to keep her team safe from harm.
Then came the wyverns. She charged the first one to distract it and it proved far more dangerous and capable of bypassing her armor than she had expected. However, she resisted it's poisonous sting, perhaps even developed some immunity to it... but it wasn't enough. Her team rushed up to aid her, and she was grateful, but she feared for the ones left in the back. Who was watching them?
The second wyvern was too quick and snatched up Miranda before there was a moment to react and, without armor, she was helpless in defense.
There were three wyverns altogether. None of them returned to their nests.

With the next loss of a comrade's life fresh in her mind once more, she made a vow that she would not forget the risk that lead to Mira's sacrifice. Ash intends to add Mira's name to the legends of the Companions' adventures and the mission... if she survives.

Since then, there has been a troll, a dangerous band of serpent men, signs of abnormally large creatures, and orcs along with strange sounds like eerie horns in the night.

The splitting of the party to venture into the crater - and the others to stay with the horses - makes Ash nervous, but there is little else to do in this situation.

With a little luck and a lot of vigilance, perhaps they'll see it through and be able to start to return home in just a few more days.

Koren n'Rhys
2011-11-17, 10:44 PM
Mycah Deshiel
Neutral Male Human (Traladaran) Thief

Description:

Mycah is a young man of 16 years. Although young, his tanned, rough skin shows him to be a man who spends his time in the outdoors. He is small and wiry, just 5' 4" and 160 lbs, with mousy brown hair but strikingly green eyes. Good-natured, he get along well with his companions and is rarely seen without a smile playing upon his lips.

Level: 5
Experience: 16,392 [Next Level: 20,000 (+5% Bonus)]
Speech Color: Orange

Hit Points: 7
Armor Class: 5 (Custom Leather + Dex)
Base Thac0: 17 (16 Missile)
Wrestling Rating: 9
Movement: 90'/30'/90'
Encumbrance: 848 cn

Stats:
Strength: 9
Intelligence: 10
Wisdom: 8 (-1)
Dexterity: 13 (+1)
Constitution: 8 (-1)
Charisma: 10

Saving Throws:
Death Ray/Poison: 11, Magic Wands: 12, Paralysis/Turn to Stone: 11, Breath Attack: 14, Rod/Staff/Spell: 13

Languages:
Common, Neutral

Skills:
Acrobatics: 13, Hunting: 10, Nature Lore (Forest): 10, Snares: 10, Quick Draw: 13

Class Abilities:
Open Locks: 35%, Find Traps: 30%, Remove Traps: 30%, Climb Walls: 91%, Move Silently: 40%, Hide in Shadows: 28%, Pick Pockets: 40%, Hear Noise: 50%
Read any normal writing or language: 80%
Backstab: +4 To Hit, x2 Damage

Weapons:
Dagger (Basic): Thac0: 17 (16 thrown), Damage: 1d4, Range: 10/20/30
Short Bow (Basic): Thac0: 16, Damage: 1d6, Range: 50/100/150
Sword, Normal (Basic): Thac0: 17, damage: 1d8
Staff (Unskilled): Thac0: 17, Damage: 1d6 halved

Possessions:

On Person:
Leather Armor (Lizardskin - AC6) - 200cn
Cloak, Long - 0cn when worn
Short Bow & Quiver of Arrows (20) - 20cn
Silver-tipped Arrows (3) - 6cn
Daggers (2) - 20cn
Dagger +1 (1) - 10cn
Sword, Normal - 60cn
Staff - 40cn
ENC: 356

In Backpack (400cn Cap): - 20cn
Iron Rations (2 days) - 20cn
Waterskin (2) - 10cn
Torches (6) - 120cn
Tinder Box - 5cn
Small Hammer - 10cn
Iron Spikes (12) - 60cn
Rope, 50' - 50cn
Hand Axe - 30cn
Belt Pouch w/ 50gp - 52cn
Holy water (2) - 2cn
Thieves Tools (Std) - 10 cn
ENC: 389

In Belt Pouch (50cn Cap.): - 2cn
Thieves Tools (Fine)- 10cn
Coins-
GP: 18
SP: 15
CP: 7
ENC: 52

Animals:
Fine Riding Horse w/ Tack, Saddle and Saddlebags
AC:7, Move: 240, HD: 2, Att: 2 Hooves (1d4/1d4)
In Saddlebags(Cap 800cn, Enc 100+cap):
Small Sack (200cn Cap.): - 1cn
Iron Rations (5 days) - 50cn
100 electrum coins (value 50gp)
ENC: 101

Additional Treasure: (Stored at Oakheart)
253 GP
Leather Armor (extra set)

TOTAL ENCUMBRANCE: 848

Background:

Initial Family/Social Status: Struggling

Mycah is a young man who had the responsibilities of adulthood thrust upon him too early in life. He was raised among the foresters and lumbermen of Lord Bost's work camps where his mother Katerine was a cook and his father a lumberman. His father, Kevv, died in an accident when Mycah was just 11, and the lad began working to earn his keep not long after.

Taken in by the men of the camp as a communal son, he gradually learned the ways of the forests and is now most at home alone among the trees. His work as a scout taught him to fend for himself in the wild and move among the tree branches as if born to the work.

While content with his life for the most part, Mycah has wondered what life is like in the larger world and watched for a chance to find out.

Other Notes:

Accommodations in Threshold: Room at the Nut, after Nathros suggested it.

"Oakheart" Mycah's Home in the Woods:

Mrs. Bost takes Mycah on a morning ride up the coast road north of town. When they reach Lake Windrush, she points out the Baron's home, Tarnskeep off to the west, but turns east across the dam-top bridge and pays a toll to the keeper, a representative of the fishing village. Mycah's keen eye spots the exchange, and either the tool is exorbitant or she has paid for some extra service.

She continues across the bridge but then eschews the only apparent rode, into the fishing village ahead, and cuts south/southeast into the woods. Mycah's experience in the woods in general serves him well in keeping track of their position. No trail exists to be followed and the woods are quite dense. It might cross the scout's mind to wonder why Lord Bost has never harvested these trees. They arrive at a spot near the island's middle. "There," Mrs. Bor says, and points to a spot ahead. Mycah doesn't see it at first, but then he spies it. A well-hidden house.

Up close, Mycah can see that it's a very sturdy house, larger than many of the homes in town, but cleverly situated to be obscured from all directions. (On this map, start at the southernmost hex with a tree, up two more hexes, then northwest on hex. It's at the top line of that hex.)

She tells you it was the home of an old friend, "Dmitri built this house himself, but settling down in Threshold was not for him. Probably settling down anywhere, actually. It is yours now. I'll leave you with the key and let you explore."

Mycah will likely not see everything on this first visit, but some features are apparent. The entire house is fortress solid and the front door has a built in lock of exceptional quality. There is a large sitting room with a fireplace and several smaller rooms, one furnished as bedroom and another as sort of workshop with carving tools, fletching tools, woodworking tools, and so forth. The windows in the house can be shuttered from inside and outside. A trap door leads to the attic, which features arrow slits (and murderholes, though Mycah may not recognize them as such) into the house below. Another is a trap door under the bed leads to a lower level, which features a two-cell prison and a slew of locks, chains, manacles, thieves tools, rock chisels, and so forth. A small locked door leads to a small tunnel, which Mycah will eventually learn leads out to the edge of the forest near the beach on the southeast side of the island. A small boat is tied to the landward side of a large oak near the tunnels exit, apparently Dmitri's. Finally, the house backs up to a large oak tree, and a truly devoted effort by Mycah will reveal a false panel inside the house, along the back wall, that allows passage inside the oak tree. It has apparently been partially hollowed out without killing the tree, a trick of elves perhaps, and a ladder carved (or magicked?) into the tree allows one to climb the inside of the tree most of it's height. There are a couple hidden rooms at various heights, almost like the levels of a tower, and arrow slights and spy holes throughout.

LAST EDIT: 9-17-13

Kish
2013-05-14, 11:52 AM
Updated.

Aditi
Female Lawful Thief
5'7'', 180 LB, brown hair, blue eyes
Level 5, 15400 XP
Speech color: Violet

Strength 9
Intelligence 8 (-1, only knows Common and doesn't write well)
Wisdom 8 (-1)
Dexterity 10 (no XP bonus or penalty)
Constitution 16 (+2)
Charisma 10

Hit Points: 22
Armor Class: 6
Base THAC0: 19
Movement: 90'/30'/90' (with backpack), 120'/40'/120' (without backpack)
Background: 44 (Struggling)

Saving Throws
Death Ray/Poison: 13, Magic Wands: 14, Paralysis/Turn to Stone: 13, Breath Attack: 16, Rod/Staff/Spell: 15.

Class Abilities
Open Locks: 35%, Find Traps: 30%, Remove Traps: 30%, Climb Walls: 91%, Move Silently: 40%, Hide in Shadows: 28%, Pick Pockets: 40%, Hear Noise: 50%.

Skills
Danger Sense, Detect Deception, Endurance, Healing. Basic proficiency: Normal Sword, Long Bow, and Dagger.

Equipment
Worn: Normal sword, dagger +1, +2 vs. dragonkind, long bow, quiver of arrows, leather armor +1, boots.
In backpack: Mace, lantern, iron rations (1 week), 2 flasks of oil, thieves' tools, potion of defense +4.
Riding horse, saddle.
Encumbrance: 545+one potion, 365 without backpack. (I'm not sure how much potions weigh.)

Money: 5 GP.

Bio: Aditi was born in a village near the Castellan Keep. When she was fifteen years old, an adventurer who had just killed a dragon came to town. After that, not all her father's grim warnings about most adventurers dying quickly could dissuade her from her resolve to become an adventurer. She is primarily motivated by wealth, but not for its own sake, rather for what she hopes to do with it, for the world in general and her family in particular. Her parents are still alive, and she has two younger siblings.

She dislikes the term "thief," and never expects to use her pickpocketing abilities outside of training exercises. Her mother advised her on what to purchase to begin her career (she couldn't find room for the iron spikes or the rope). Young, idealistic, and naive, she started out understanding the risks and costs of being an adventurer only in the abstract.

When she was eighteen, the Gnomish Caravan came through her village, and she took the opportunity to join it as a guard. Traveling with them, she participated in a few fights with goblins and human bandits, even once claiming a magical dagger from a bugbear who was leading a party of goblin raiders. Killing no longer bothers her the way it did when she first killed a goblin, but with the Caravan, she hasn't been in much danger, or seen a great deal of excitement or opportunity.

As the Caravan approaches Threshold, Aditi considers that perhaps, there, she'll be able to find a group of adventurers she can join.

Gwendol
2013-08-30, 02:51 AM
Name: Athos the frail
Class: Magic User

Alignment: Neutral

Description:

Athos is a frail young man of poor constitution, but a bright mind. Despite his physical shortcomings he has a positive and optimistic outlook on life. Dressed in a simple, but well made and clean robe he considers himself ready to venture forth in this world, armed only with his wits and his mostly empty spell-book.

History:

Hailing from a family of masons, Athos was from an early age deemed to frail to carry on the business, and was instead sent to assist a local scribe. Despite being nearly killed by illnesses while growing up, which left him frail, and suffering from fits of dry cough, he learned to read and write well, and showing aptitude for the intellectual endeavours of magic he was eventually offered the place as a Wizard's apprentice (Lorentus the Brown). Having passed the examinations of the apprentice magic user, Athos is now eager to prove himself in the real world.

Speech: Red
Level: Five

Experience: 23114 (40.000) 5% bonus

Attributes:

Strength 6 (-1)
Dexterity 8 (-1)
Constitution 5 (-2)
Intelligence 14 (+1)
Wisdom 10 (+0)
Charisma 11 (+0)

Saving Throws:

Death Ray/Poison 13
Magic Wands 14
Paralysis/Petrification 13
Breath Weapon 16
Spells 15

Hit Points: 5 (-2/level)

Armour Class: 9

THAC0: 19

Movement Speed:

Weapons: dagger, sling

Weapon Choices:
Dagger basic 20 (18 for +2 weapon) 1d4+2 10/20/30
Sling skilled 18 1d6 40/80/160 stun s/m (AC 1/2)

Skills:
Alchemy
Alternate magics
Knowledge: Local
Healing +1
Magical engineering

Languages: Common, Neutral, Orc

Abilities:

Family Social Status: Struggling.

Possessions:

Work in progress.
Spell book
Backpack (containing the spell book)
Dagger of returning +2 (around waist)
Sling + ammo
Writing utensils
Iron rations (1 week)
Wolfsbane
Lantern
3 flasks of oil
Waterskin
ring of waterwalking (left hand)
Spider brooch (scarab of protection) (throat)
wand of paralysis (wand pocket in sleeve)
wand of metal detection (wand pocket in sleeve) 13 charges
wand of illusions 4 charges

48 gp - the cost of writing utensils
4170 gp

Spells:

Spells/level: 2/2/1

Level 1
Read magic
Sleep
Protection from evil
Level 2
Web
Invisibility
Level 3
?

Roland St. Jude
2014-09-04, 08:59 PM
I took the IC description as far as I felt comfortable based on the last set of posts. PCs' "turn" again!

Gwendol
2014-09-05, 03:56 AM
Roland, just for my understanding: we haven't received XP since leaving the village (where Athos joined)? I've looked through the OOC pages, but could easily have missed a page or two.

Roland St. Jude
2014-09-05, 07:25 AM
Roland, just for my understanding: we haven't received XP since leaving the village (where Athos joined)? I've looked through the OOC pages, but could easily have missed a page or two.That is correct.

Gwendol
2014-09-05, 08:34 AM
Good, I know I've been zoning out at times and so wanted to make sure.

Nevaera
2014-09-05, 09:04 AM
Also, is it correct - based on your second OOC IV post - that we are no longer to use Present tense, but rather Past tense?

Roland St. Jude
2014-09-05, 09:34 AM
Use present. That's left over from the original posting when I intended to use past tense like my other games. I'll change that.

Nevaera
2014-09-05, 09:50 AM
Fewf, okay good. I like present tense. ^_^

Koren n'Rhys
2014-09-05, 12:00 PM
Agreed. Feels much more immersive and interactive that way.

Archdruid
2014-09-06, 01:12 PM
Ooh, spiffy new thread! Nice, nice. As for replying to previous posts:

By the way, Archdruid: May I ask what spells does Penny has ready? I'm kind of nervous about the necromancer. Our last battle with him was a draw at best.

Luckily for us (now that you've joined the game), cleric spells are the best for fighting other casters.
I could have sworn that I'd posted this with her character sheet!

She currently has the following prepared spells (and no expended slots, to my knowledge):

First Level
Second Level

Cure Light Wounds*
Hold Person*

Cure Light Wounds*
Silence (15' radius)

Protection from Evil

Speaking of actions, sorry for the delay; work's been killer on my sleep and attention. Penny is go!

Archdruid
2014-09-06, 01:27 PM
OH MY GOD. I'M SO SORRY, NATHROS. ;-;

[roll0] points of damage to be inflicted by a failed Healing roll?

Frivolous
2014-09-06, 01:32 PM
Eh, not the first time that's happened. He'll just need healing, is all.

As I recall, Bran was the last victim of Healing disaster.

Roland St. Jude
2014-09-06, 02:33 PM
She currently has the following prepared spells (and no expended slots, to my knowledge)...Minor corrections:

1) Penny should have two first level and two second level spells
2) She's expended all her spells for the day

Sorry, I should have clarified that when I sent you the initial info. :smallredface:

Archdruid
2014-09-06, 02:39 PM
Ooh, sorry. I thought the extra casting of cure light wounds meant it was an extra first spell slot meant only for CLW :o

And as for having no spells left, that's quite the bummer, but (hopefully) not too big of one!

Roland St. Jude
2014-09-06, 03:00 PM
Ooh, sorry. I thought the extra casting of cure light wounds meant it was an extra first spell slot meant only for CLW :o

And as for having no spells left, that's quite the bummer, but (hopefully) not too big of one!Oh yeah, that's right! I forgot about that. :smallredface: She'll have that available in the morning.

Frivolous
2014-09-06, 03:32 PM
Mycah examines the murals. The spider seems hardy and tough, but it is only attacking a pig, after all, so perhaps it is not a fierce fighter. The shadow actually seems insubstantial and causes one to wonder how to hit a ghost. The other two images are intimidating to say the least. Both are presented in a manner that suggests invincibility and overwhelming power. The thinner of the two figures seems to be wielding both a weapon and arcane power, while the last, the crowned one, seems threatening and dauntless despite wielding nothing but an intense stare.

Roland, did you really mean Mycah examined the murals, or did you mean Bran?

If you meant Mycah, did Bran get anything useful out of his Art roll? I think it was a success.

Roland St. Jude
2014-09-06, 05:11 PM
Roland, did you really mean Mycah examined the murals, or did you mean Bran?

If you meant Mycah, did Bran get anything useful out of his Art roll? I think it was a success.Oops, I forgot Bran's art roll results. I'll add it now.

Frivolous
2014-09-06, 09:33 PM
Thank you, Roland. :smallsmile:

Gwendol
2014-09-08, 02:33 AM
Can't seem to get the rolls inside the spoiler tags right, so here it goes:

Healing roll to determine nature of blood on altar vs DC15: [roll0]

Roland St. Jude
2014-09-08, 10:09 AM
Can't seem to get the rolls inside the spoiler tags right, so here it goes:

Healing roll to determine nature of blood on altar vs DC15: [roll0]

Athos attacks! [roll=Atk]1d20[roll]

Should give you this:
Athos attacks! [roll0]

What is it, specifically that isn't working? If there's a technical problem, I should report it to Rawhide.

Nevaera
2014-09-08, 11:47 AM
OH MY GOD. I'M SO SORRY, NATHROS. ;-;

[roll0] points of damage to be inflicted by a failed Healing roll?

Athos has already addressed Nathros' injuries and made his skill check. There's no reason for Penny to attempt first aid on anyone with a heal skill check. You can't treat the same wounds multiple times and hope for better results. Retcon that out maybe? Nathros or Aditi will have an extra plus 2 HP and the other won't. So... no injury to Nathros and no worries? :smallsmile:

Gwendol
2014-09-09, 01:08 AM
Roland, the depressions in the altar: are they consistent with drainage to collect the blood in the altar "sink"?

Gwendol
2014-09-09, 01:11 AM
Athos attacks! [roll=Atk]1d20[roll]

Should give you this:
Athos attacks! [roll0]

What is it, specifically that isn't working? If there's a technical problem, I should report it to Rawhide.

Inside the spoiler tags it says Roll0.

I'll try once more before reporting it as an error.

Matthew
2014-09-09, 06:49 AM
Athos has already addressed Nathros' injuries and made his skill check. There's no reason for Penny to attempt first aid on anyone with a heal skill check. You can't treat the same wounds multiple times and hope for better results. Retcon that out maybe? Nathros or Aditi will have an extra plus 2 HP and the other won't. So... no injury to Nathros and no worries? :smallsmile:

It is fine either way. Just one of the risks of using the healing check.

Roland St. Jude
2014-09-09, 09:39 AM

I'll try once more before reporting it as an error.My only thoughts about that are, you can't quote a roll and you can't preview you pay with a roll in it.

If you go to edit a post after you've rolled, it'll show [roll0], but add long add you don't touch that text when editing, it'looks still show your roll properly.

Roland St. Jude
2014-09-09, 09:39 AM

I'll try once more before reporting it as an error.My only thoughts about that are, you can't quote a roll and you can't preview your post with a roll in it.

If you go to edit a post after you've rolled, it'll show [roll0], but add long add you don't touch that text when editing, it'looks still show your roll properly.

Nevaera
2014-09-09, 10:17 AM
Hahahah, Brandon is so funny.
It makes sense that he can't quite figure out that it's symmetrical and identical because of magic - since he's a fighter.
I can't remember his intelligence score off hand, but I'm sure it wasn't as high as his wisdom. (wisdom being what told him to stop talking shortly after his comment :smalltongue: )
Anyways, good job of that. ^_^

Nevaera
2014-09-09, 10:53 AM
(Roland) You're inbox is full. XD

I was wondering if you were aware of the dilemma regarding multiple heal checks made on Nathros? Penny's player is new, so I'm sure she'd appreciate a little help there since she didn't know how that worked yet (only one heal check per character every fresh set of injuries). Thus, Nathros is likely not injured by Penelope's efforts, I would think, since Athos already dressed the wounds. Athos has the most skill at it and this is why he is the one we go to for non-magical healing when we're not pressed for time. ^_^

Roland St. Jude
2014-09-09, 01:38 PM
Cleaned out my inbox (a little), so hopefully messages can come through now.

Yeah, let's retcon out Penny's botched heal check and proceed on. These seems to be a recurring problem post-combat, so in the future, let's put the onus on the healers to specifically state who they are going to heal and on the injured parties to keep track of when they've been mundane healed.

But for now, no damage to Nathros and onward!

Nevaera
2014-09-09, 10:58 PM
Sounds good to me! ^_^

Gwendol
2014-09-12, 07:31 AM
Just a heads up: I'm travelling next week, which means delays in posting. Especially Monday-Tuesday, and Friday-Saturday.
The following week will be partly travel (Thursday through Saturday).

Frivolous
2014-09-12, 11:08 AM
Have a safe trip, Gwendol. :smallsmile:

Frivolous
2014-09-12, 11:17 AM
Bah. That 19 is definitely a fail.

Gwendol
2014-09-13, 10:45 AM
Thanks! It's my first to Taiwan.

Frivolous
2014-09-13, 10:51 AM
Oh, congrats. I haven't been there in a while, but it's the only other country I've been to.

I wonder if Taipei is still full of motorcycle riders.

Matthew
2014-09-13, 11:51 AM
Taiwan is quite nice, and cheap to boot! Have a good time, and enjoy the locale cuisine!

Roland St. Jude
2014-09-14, 11:46 PM
I have PMed ArchDruid about posting. Penny has plenty of insight that may help the party decide what to do about the altar. If she doesn't post in the next 12-18 hours, I'll go ahead and NPC Penny for a round. In the meantime, feel free to post any other exploration or non-altar related activity you want to.

Matthew
2014-09-15, 01:01 AM
I was thinking we could do with a cliff notes version of our adventures up to this point, as memories are fading as the years go by and it would be useful for new players.

Mining Camp
Ruined Keep
Thieves Guild
Necromancer
Wilderness
Travelling
Temple of the Spider

Frivolous
2014-09-15, 01:08 AM
Yeah. Especially NPC names.

Roland St. Jude
2014-09-15, 09:27 AM
I'm not sure exactly how you want to parcel it out, but here's a slight correction/expansion of Matthew's list. Perhaps someone would like to summarize each in a paragraph or few lines?
Adventures:
Old Mill/Mining Camp & Tunnels below
Ruined Keep in the Woods
Necromancer's Hill West of Threshold
Vipers Hideout Boat in Threshold
Wilderness (Threshold to Verge via Mountains)
Travelling (Verge to Temple Crater via hilly grassland/Snake Priest domain)
Crater and Guard Camp above
Temple of the Spider

I have a concordance of NPCs, perhaps someone should be the Keeper of the Lore for the party and fill in who these people are:
Threshold
Patriarch Baron Sherlane Halaran
Lady Aleena Halaran
Lord Jokkum Bost
Natalya Bor
Mr. Bor
Guildmaster Marco
Bryant Geldro
Milos
Montague Summers
Councilman Boris Takish
Marie Takish
Anton Barbu
Ivan Barbau
Jarok
Merlinda Starling
Delcar
Murks
Johann Dotir
Eratosthenes
Hakon and Ilsleif
Councilman Andre Andrev
Alx
Father Miller Graham
Marat
Brother Cowlishaw
Mr. Pottage
Old Man Gor & Sons
Cowlishaw
Mary LeLorre
Arcturo Lucius Nicosian
Glaurung the Fiery Scourge

Party NPCs
Bret
Jemaine
Murray
Neela
Miranda (Deceased in the Verge Pass via wyverns)

Threshold/Verge Mountains
Dwarves

Verge
Retameron Antonic
Halia Antonic
Olag the Hunter
Jake Alefist

Other
Ederick

Archdruid
2014-09-16, 08:13 AM
I apologize for my regretful absence, all. Life has taken an unexpected turn for the worse, and until further notice, I simply can't commit to any games, with this lack of time. I'm equally as sorry, because I really, really wanted to continue with this game, to see where it could take us. I apologize, and hope that you'd accept my company again in the future. Again, I apologize, and wish you all the best. ;n;

Until we can meet again, I remain yours in spirit.

Roland St. Jude
2014-09-16, 08:50 AM
I apologize for my regretful absence, all. Life has taken an unexpected turn for the worse, and until further notice, I simply can't commit to any games, with this lack of time. I'm equally as sorry, because I really, really wanted to continue with this game, to see where it could take us. I apologize, and hope that you'd accept my company again in the future. Again, I apologize, and wish you all the best. ;n;

Until we can meet again, I remain yours in spirit.I'm sorry to hear that! Certainly check back in when you are able to do so.

Nevaera
2014-09-16, 03:31 PM
I feel like I've missed a lot. I've gotten sick.

Cool to see stuff summed up, I bet that'll help us out.

Aww, bummer, Archdruid. Wish you the best.

I don't know when I'll put up the next IC post, but perhaps I can catch up soon and at least mention OOC what Ash will be up to so I don't hold everyone up.

Take care, everyone. ^_^

---

There we go. Got an IC post up. :smallbiggrin:

Roland St. Jude
2014-09-16, 03:47 PM
Get well soon!

Nevaera
2014-09-16, 03:52 PM
Thanks, I'll certainly be trying to. ^_^
---
PS: This bit has been really fun, btw. ( Lots of RP again. :D )
I've enjoyed seeing our NPC's and PC's grow and, while cautious, take necessary risks that have lead to the groups' general success so far.
Thanks for playing fun and interesting characters, everyone. ^_^

Roland St. Jude
2014-09-16, 10:54 PM
I didn't forget to respond to your actions by the way, I just wanted to get the NPC actions in alongside yours. I'll put a new DM OOC up tomorrow sometime. Feel free to keep being specific about your actions/searches/etc.

Nevaera
2014-09-22, 10:48 AM
Alright, not feeling sick anymore - yay! But car died. :( Still gotta sort that one out. But the boat I was selling finally sold yesterday! :D
Talk about a roller-coaster ride... :P

I'll try to get the next post up by the end of tomorrow. Take care all!

Koren n'Rhys
2014-09-22, 12:18 PM
Gah! Good luck with all that. Sometimes Real Life just won't let up.

You had a boat? I didn't realize Canada had liquid water for that sort of thing. Course, maybe that's why it was for sale! :smalltongue:

Nevaera
2014-09-22, 12:37 PM
Hahaha, awesome.
Yeah, we have got loads and loads of liquid-state water. Lakes, rivers, bays, ... lots of lakes. "Great" lakes even. ;) That stuff doesn't tend to freeze over in the winter either (cause it's always moving and it has lots of salt in it if it's connected to the ocean water). The little rivers and streams freeze up in winter though. Right now, where I am, we have the golden leaves of Autumn and it's perfect out! :D
Probably the shortest "season" of the year (lasts about 2 weeks here), but Autumn is my favourite one.

oop, gtg. Take care!

Gwendol
2014-09-23, 06:11 AM
Athos is not convinced the mechanism is the other way around: the platform is the key, or handle, and the pictures are the doors, but he stays silent on the matter until he's investigated some more.

I'm in Sweden and here the weather just got colder (today). Was wearing shorts and t-shirt over the weekend, but that seems to have come to an end what with temperatures just above freezing this morning.

Nevaera
2014-09-23, 10:12 AM
Yeah, I'm sure there's tons of possibilities. Ash figures a hollower sound from the disc and it's unblemished surface indicate a passageway underneath and the worn away bits at the Mural indicate regular interaction, thus perhaps a secret trick to unlocking the exit. It'd be preferable to digging through a wall of dirt in any case - especially since it's unlikely that the dirt was put there today as a spell 'cause that would just serve to bury the enemy in their own homemade tomb. :P Prooooobably not a cave in either, I'm thinking.

---

If I wanted, I'm sure I could wear shorts and a T-shirt today. XD
But it was really cold not long ago and our neighbouring province got a bunch of snow that was done dumping before it got to us. :D Otherwise, I think we'd have had snow already. >.> Usually it doesn't get here 'til around Halloween or sometimes a month after if the weather is weird that year.

Nevaera
2014-09-25, 01:34 PM
... and nooooow the car's broke down. :smallannoyed:
Shouldn't likely stop my posts though, so no worries on that front. :smallbiggrin:

Frivolous
2014-09-25, 01:54 PM
Sorry about the car, Nev. :smallsigh:

Nevaera
2014-09-25, 05:21 PM
Eh, so it goes. Hopefully it's not too expensive to fix. :\

Frivolous
2014-09-26, 12:40 AM
It's raining hard and there's lightning, and I need to leave the house, so I won't be able to post until later.

Nevaera
2014-09-26, 10:10 AM
Eeek, hope you turned off your computer for the storm. (...though your power likely doesn't short out as often as ours - we share an electrical grid thing with a factory-type place. XD )

Nevaera
2014-09-29, 03:50 PM
Oops, other than the stuff said in my IC post, Ash will go back to helping Murray and the others push on the Mural that budged before. Gonna give it the ol' heave ho!

Roland St. Jude
2014-09-29, 04:22 PM
I have Murray, Ash, and Mycah speaking for themselves to push on the mural. Any other PC want in or is Penny going to step up at Mycah's direction?

I'll let you sort out the shield situation.

Gwendol
2014-09-30, 04:14 AM
I've added Athos' actions wrt pushing and shield holding.

Roland St. Jude
2014-10-01, 06:35 PM
I'll get a new IC up in the next 24 hours.

Nevaera
2014-10-02, 09:29 AM
Ouch... Str sacrifice for the lose. :smallyuk:

Int check, DC 10: [roll0]

... Can I still be a Fighter at 8 Str? :P

Kish
2014-10-02, 09:31 AM
[roll0]This is Aditi's Int check.

Koren n'Rhys
2014-10-02, 09:34 AM
Here's Mycah's STR Check (vs. INT 10)
[roll0]

Gwendol
2014-10-02, 09:41 AM
Check vs INT (14): [roll0]

Gwendol
2014-10-02, 09:43 AM
Is this a loss or a penalty, and can it be restored? Shield of Petra maybe?

Nevaera
2014-10-02, 09:47 AM
I just hope it's temporary. Ugh.
Tricky villains! I hope they haven't offered both wealth and magic already. But I hope even more that WE don't do that somehow next! :O
Just what Ash was afraid of, though she expressed it earlier toward the "wooden disc" cause she thought it might actually be the seal.

Frivolous
2014-10-02, 11:40 AM
I've never had to do an Intelligence check before. I suspect that succeeding means that we realize the loss relates to the 'strength' part of the poem on the altar.

Ability check: [roll0]

Roland St. Jude
2014-10-02, 12:01 PM
An INT check is like any other ability check. Roll under your ability score for success.

You have no way to know whether it is temporary or permanent.

I do owe Nevaera a PM about the shield. Off-hand, I don't recall the power list.

Frivolous
2014-10-02, 03:57 PM
Hmm. I might have considered the party using the herbs Bran bought from the merchants, but if there was no saving throw, I doubt they'll help much.

Gwendol
2014-10-03, 06:30 AM
Roll for healing knowledge DC 15 [roll0]

Roland St. Jude
2014-10-03, 09:34 AM
Hmm. I might have considered the party using the herbs Bran bought from the merchants, but if there was no saving throw, I doubt they'll help much.

Roll for healing knowledge DC 15 [roll0]Brandon and Athos haven't heard of anything like this. It instantly affects four people at once with no other symptoms and does only one thing, saps strength. Seems like magic.

Nevaera
2014-10-03, 11:12 AM
Brandon and Athos haven't heard of anything like this. It instantly affects four people at once with no other symptoms and does only one thing, saps strength. Seems like magic.

Didn't Athos succeed his Int check though? He got 13 which was below his Int score.
Just on the check we all made, not the healing one he rolled last.

Kish
2014-10-03, 11:16 AM
Yes, and so he realized (as everyone but Brandon did) that we just completed one of the requested sacrifices.

Roland St. Jude
2014-10-03, 01:48 PM
I was just responding to the two things that I quoted about healing.

Nevaera
2014-10-03, 08:05 PM
Ohhhhh, gotchya. Sorry. X)

Matthew
2014-10-04, 08:06 AM
Sorry, guys. I am having trouble keeping up with this game, between work and the baby my time is increasingly limited.

Roland St. Jude
2014-10-04, 08:11 AM
Sorry, guys. I am having trouble keeping up with this game, between work and the baby my time is increasingly limited.Congratulations on the baby. They certainly do take time.

I'm happy to NPC Nathros during turns when you can't check in, but I understand if a hiatus is needed. As you're one of the original members, I'm willing to accommodate whatever you'd like participation-wise.

Frivolous
2014-10-04, 08:33 AM
Sorry, guys. I am having trouble keeping up with this game, between work and the baby my time is increasingly limited.

New baby, you mean? Congratulations! :smallbiggrin:

Matthew
2014-10-04, 08:38 AM
Did I not tell you guys? God, I am tired. We had our first baby ten months ago! Just the one so far! Here is a recent one of us back in Britain during the summer: :smallbiggrin:

https://scontent-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfp1/v/t1.0-9/10352277_10203034650090661_7857859941988640124_n.j pg?oh=b6a05918dc12cc50579d093961a4c3a4&oe=5486F02F

Frivolous
2014-10-04, 08:56 AM
Awesome picture, Matthew. And yes, this is the first I've heard of a baby. :smallsmile:

Koren n'Rhys
2014-10-04, 01:13 PM
Congratulations! Enjoy the years ahead, they sure do fly by. My oldest is a senior in high school this year. It sneaks up on you.

Roland St. Jude
2014-10-04, 10:12 PM
Yeah, great picture! I think this is the first I've heard of a baby, but then a lot of people I know have been having babies, including some other long-time Playgrounders, so it's been hard to keep track!

Gwendol
2014-10-06, 09:44 AM
Lovely family!

On the topic of the game, Roland, could you clarify your description of the chamber/dead end at the end of the passageway:

It slopes down steeply as it heads directly away from the temple ending fifty feet or so away in a landing or dead-end. If the temple room was once at ground level, this passageway would have lead to the next level below it. No other exits or side passages can be seen, only the passage ahead and back through the yet-open mural.

Is it a landing or a dead end? What passage ahead are you talking about?

Roland St. Jude
2014-10-06, 12:08 PM
Lovely family!

On the topic of the game, Roland, could you clarify your description of the chamber/dead end at the end of the passageway:

Is it a landing or a dead end? What passage ahead are you talking about?There's only one passageway, the hall/tunnel you've entered through the mural opening. The torchlight extends to the end of the hall and it's unclear without further exploration whether the hall ends in a landing, that perhaps turns and goes down more, or a dead end. From where Mycah is standing with the torch, it could be either.

Nevaera
2014-10-06, 02:47 PM
Matthew:

Congrats! :D (Yeah, awesome picture.)
And your wife's very pretty. (You can tell her I said so. XD )

Kids are wonderful and exhausting. Make sure you get a sitter every now and then, hm? :P
Take care. :smallsmile:

Gwendol
2014-10-07, 07:33 AM
Kids are wonderful and exhausting. Make sure you get a sitter every now and then, hm? :P
Take care. :smallsmile:

Yeah, gearing up for our yearly (?) date-night! We're clue-less in that department...

Nevaera
2014-10-07, 04:25 PM
XD Have fun!

Frivolous
2014-10-08, 12:02 AM
Just so we're clear, the "behind the mural hallway" takes you fifty feet away from the temple room, turns almost 180 degrees, and heads back toward the temple room. It steadily descends a total of about twenty feet over that distance. The open archway at the bottom is almost directly under the mural opening they came through, just a little to the north and twenty-some feet below. That means that the room beyond the arch lies under the temple room above.

Whether your character can recognize and visualize these last couple sentences is completely up to you.

Thanks, Roland. I understand it.

Nevaera
2014-10-08, 09:44 AM
I'm sure he mainly put that in there for me. XD I was having trouble sorting it out before.

Matthew
2014-10-12, 03:38 AM
Thanks for the kind words, all!

Gwendol
2014-10-15, 02:26 AM
Roland, for my understanding is Neela an NPC (henchman) magic user?

Roland St. Jude
2014-10-15, 10:26 AM
Roland, for my understanding is Neela an NPC (henchman) magic user?This edition uses the term "retainer" and suggests the term "hireling" is also synonymous. But, yes, Neela is an NPC hired by the party in Threshold during the Gnomish Caravan visit. She's from Darokin, traveled to do business with the Caravan, and was one of the (three?) applicants for the job.

Roland St. Jude
2014-10-15, 12:09 PM
Okay, so it seems like the consensus plan is to rest. Let's have the watch plans and I'll check for random encounters. Mu-ha-ha-ha!

Frivolous
2014-10-15, 12:10 PM
We're paying Neela a full share of gold for the privilege of having her adventure with us.

We also kind of owe her money since we didn't bring a lot of coin with us. The coin we used to bribe the Serpent Lord came from her.

I find it rather embarrassing, actually, though in truth it was logical to leave most of our gold at home. Not like we were going to pass by any shops in the wilderness.

Nevaera
2014-10-15, 08:43 PM
Indeed.
I felt the same. But I thought it better not to be left with nothing in the case that we were beaten and/or robbed. We still have two very valuable rings to sell to someone wealthy - perhaps up to 5000g if sold as a pair, should we find the right buyer.

Gwendol
2014-10-16, 03:34 AM
This edition uses the term "retainer" and suggests the term "hireling" is also synonymous. But, yes, Neela is an NPC hired by the party in Threshold during the Gnomish Caravan visit. She's from Darokin, traveled to do business with the Caravan, and was one of the (three?) applicants for the job.

Ok thanks.

Nevaera
2014-10-17, 09:23 PM
So far as I can recall, these are the spells that might be at our disposal, but something I'm still not fully informed of is how many times in a day these can be cast.

---Athos---
[lvl 1: x2/day. lvl: 2 x1/day ??]
[1] Read Magic
[1] Sleep x2
[1] Magic Missile
[2] Web x1
[2] Protection from Evil (Or maybe this is better than web? Web might catch a falling ally or still protect a retreat against undead and the like to some extent, though it can just be burned.)

[Any other spells?]

---Neela---
[lvl 1: x2/day. lvl 2: x1/day ??]
[1] Read Magic
[1] Read Languages (Might be useful, but haven't needed it so far, I think - in here)
[1] Analyze (what's this now?)
[1] Sleep x2
[1] Magic Missile
[2] Detect Evil
[2] Invisibility x1

---Penelope "Penny"---
[1] x2 CLW / prot.fr.evil/rem.fear also have merit (but it's hard to predict the likeliness)
[2] x1 Recommend: Hold Person (disables a potentially catastrophic enemy - large/caster type) / Bless (gives EVERYONE a chance to hit more often which may come in reeeally handy and also make up for our strength loss) / Silence (can be put on an area for safety against spells cast in the area)

First Level:
Cure Light Wounds
Detect Evil
Detect Magic
Light
Protection from Evil
Purify Food and Water
Remove Fear
Resist Cold

Second Level:
Bless
Find Traps
Hold Person
Know Alignment
Resist Fire
Silence 15' Radius
Snake Charm
Speak with Animal

Nevaera
2014-10-19, 07:38 PM
I'm always forgetting this stuff. How many HP do we get from resting again?
Was it our level plus our con mod, or just our level, or just a standard 2hp, or 1d3, or something else altogether. XD
Whatever it is, we should all update our character sheets accordingly. ^_^

OOC, anyone have any preferences toward where they are placed in the marching order (for any particular reason)?
Marching order (unless otherwise preferred):
- Nathros and Brandon
- Ash and Aditi
- Athos and Penny
- Murray and Neela
- Mycah

Ash's reasoning for the arrangement:
Ash is a damage sponge and a resilient target - hopefully she can add to damage if there's stuff to attack - plus she has some tricks and things in her bag. Brandon with him cause he has good defense, is still fairly strong, he's quite hearty and healthy atm, ... (and he called shotgun XD ). [however, for all their strengths, these two warriors will have difficulty against spells and poisons and such. - should we try an anti-venom thing still?]
Nathros is not fully healed (and he's probably around 10hp), but his darkvision, strength and reach weapon would be of great help in case he notices something or something attacks that has to be damaged hard and fast. Aditi is tough and can fire arrows past the front line.
Athos has the torch for light and is weak of constitution, and obviously has some very useful magic that might be needed. Penny near by is ready and willing to take part in melee or use her sling and stones (I think) and she's the healer, so she's best in the middle in case of a back attack or further need of front line fighting types.
Murray is reliable and well armored, plus he is quite strong - excellent for rear guard. Neela is a tougher caster and resourceful should her aid be required.
Mycah is invisible and quite sneaky so he can trail the party to look and listen for signs of shadowing plus he's also resourceful and quick thinking in a pinch if a decision must be made.

Roland St. Jude
2014-10-20, 12:24 AM
I'm always forgetting this stuff. How many HP do we get from resting again?
Was it our level plus our con mod, or just our level, or just a standard 2hp, or 1d3, or something else altogether. XD
Whatever it is, we should all update our character sheets accordingly. ^_^Each player can choose to roll the 1d3 or take 2 hp. (Obviously, decide first and then roll, if applicable.)

Frivolous
2014-10-20, 12:30 AM
Bran will take the 2 HP option.

Kish
2014-10-20, 07:24 AM
So will Aditi.

Nevaera
2014-10-20, 01:22 PM
Right. I think I'll roll. XD

[roll0]

Koren n'Rhys
2014-10-20, 03:18 PM
Well crap. I just found out I need to be on the road for work the next couple of days. On top of busy evenings this week, that effectively means I'm out of commission until Thursday now. Just puppet Mycah as needed so that I'm not holding up progress. Sorry everyone!

Frivolous
2014-10-20, 03:22 PM
Travel safely, Koren. Good journey to you.

Roland St. Jude
2014-10-20, 06:47 PM
Safe travels and I'll keep things moving along.

Roland St. Jude
2014-10-21, 06:49 PM
Friv, you may want to revise your last IC post. So far, the path only travels around the southern edge of the room. To get to the center, below where Petra's shield was above, one would have to hack through underbrush to get there.

Frivolous
2014-10-21, 11:58 PM
Oh I see. Thanks. Yes, I will revise.

Nevaera
2014-10-24, 10:29 AM
I think that sometimes Ash just hates it when she's right.
XP

Koren n'Rhys
2014-10-24, 01:00 PM
Indeed. Well, if nothing else, Ash should hear Mycah bumbling through the underbrush like a bull in a china shop. This is why I try not to do any dice rolling until a DM makes me. I usually crash and burn on preemptive rolls. <sigh>

Nevaera
2014-10-24, 09:52 PM
Heheh XD
Yeah, pretty big whiff factor in BECMI at lower levels.
But it's fun to try. ^_^
And super fun when it pays off. :D

Gwendol
2014-10-26, 02:27 PM
Kids are out of school next week, so I'm taking the family on a well-deserved vacation. I might be slow, or non-existent depending on the amount of WiFi we have.

Frivolous
2014-10-27, 10:21 AM
Have a safe and enjoyable trip with your fam, Gwendol. :smallsmile:

Nevaera
2014-11-03, 05:29 AM
Sorry for my absence. I was solidly sick over the weekend. I'll try to get my IC up soon if I can.

Koren n'Rhys
2014-11-03, 10:19 AM
:smallfrown: Hope you're feeling better!

Nevaera
2014-11-03, 04:13 PM
Thanks. ^_^ Much better today, even on as little sleep as I got. I even got to go to work! :D (Yes. There is probably something wrong with me as I look forward to my job atm... I'm sure it's just the excitement of having this new aspect to my life atm. It'll likely wear off in time. :smalltongue: )

Koren n'Rhys
2014-11-04, 04:43 PM
Let's see if we can roll better this time...

Move Silently (40%): (1d100)[99]
Nope. :smallmad:
Not QUITE a critical fail. Gah!

Gwendol
2014-11-05, 03:07 AM
Have a safe and enjoyable trip with your fam, Gwendol. :smallsmile:

We got back yesterday, and had a great time! Tried surfing for the first time and managed to catch quite a few waves, yet still needs more practice before I manage to hold my balance standing up (was either prone or kneeling or squatting on the board).

Nevaera
2014-11-05, 03:17 AM
Welcome back! :D

---

Oops, forgot to roll alertness dc 13:
[roll0]

Gwendol
2014-11-05, 08:11 AM
Thanks!

Oh yes, perception: DC 10 [roll0]

Matthew
2014-11-08, 11:19 AM
Nathros has a wisdom bonus of +1, so he actually passed his saving throw, assuming no other modifiers are in play.

Frivolous
2014-11-08, 11:53 AM
Nathros has a wisdom bonus of +1, so he actually passed his saving throw, assuming no other modifiers are in play.

That would be excellent.

By the way, just a reminder: Bran's magical shield can be appropriated for use while he is Held.

Nevaera
2014-11-10, 07:11 PM
Sorry for taking so long to reply. I always forget to check on weekends. >.< (unless I'm really bored and happen to remember. XP )

I wonder if Penny can cure Hold Person (if she is successful in resisting it herself)... *shrugs in ignorance* XD

Nevaera
2014-11-10, 07:16 PM
Oops, I should have elaborated in my IC:

Ash is currently trying to get a little bit of distance between her and the group in case another spell is aimed at her - so that less will be affected based on proximity.
She's also actively looking for Ederick or a lone caster of some kind. She hopes Mycah is on their trail already too. She'd intend to provide him front-line support should he choose to reveal himself by attacking.

Alertness DC 13: [roll0]

Gwendol
2014-11-11, 11:00 AM
Hm, here's hoping we can get a bead on this spell-slinging fellow sooner rather than later...

Matthew
2014-11-12, 10:03 AM
Roland, did you count the +1 modifier for Nathros' wisdom, or was there a penalty to the roll?

Roland St. Jude
2014-11-12, 11:49 AM
Roland, did you count the +1 modifier for Nathros' wisdom, or was there a penalty to the roll?Nathros made his save adjust accordingly.

I think I was looking at the wrong chart. Sorry.

Nevaera
2014-11-12, 02:29 PM
Did I not make my save? I thought I have to roll high vs. saves, not low like with ability/skill checks.

(rolled 16)

Roland St. Jude
2014-11-12, 03:30 PM
Did I not make my save? I thought I have to roll high vs. saves, not low like with ability/skill checks.

(rolled 16)Aww, man. I really messed that up. Yes. It is roll high for saves, and yes Ash did make her save.

I'll go clean up the IC now. :redface:

Gwendol
2014-11-12, 03:46 PM
Ok, so that will likely change my recent action as well. Let us know when you're done, and I'll edit accordingly.

Roland St. Jude
2014-11-12, 04:42 PM
I'm done now.

Gwendol
2014-11-13, 02:27 AM
It still says:
These two clap Brandon and Ash on the shoulders and each feels a penetrating pain, even through the paralysis.
and
Brandon, Ash, Nathros paralyzed

Also, does Ash and Nathros get to act as I and Mycah have been allowed to?

Nevaera
2014-11-13, 11:06 AM
Yes, I think I'll wait for the above to be clarified as well before I make my post. XD

If Ash CAN act that same round like Athos, Mycah, etc... could, then I had mentioned what Ash was doing in the previous IC post already.
She'd have shouted some things and dodged into the bushes before the enemy had revealed themselves. Not sure if they'd still have been able to lay any -2 DMG through a touch attack or not.

I guess maybe I should have rolled an acrobatics to see if I succeeded in the tumble.
I'll do that here in case it would apply. She also succeeded at her alertness roll - to whatever end. :/

Acrobatics DC 13: [roll0]

Roland St. Jude
2014-11-13, 04:38 PM
Okay, let's do this. Ash moves to the bushes and Nathros attacks (DM rolled, a miss). Otherwise, all the events of the post occurred as described. I'm not going to bother editing the prior posts any more, let's just move forward.

The priests still rush forward to deliver attacks, which they rolled exceptionally well for, and wouldn't have had any trouble following Ash to her spot in the bushes.

That does spread the two foes out of range for Athos' wand attack to catch both of them.

Let's get a last round action from Mycah and Athos, and then we'll start the next round with the foes acting first.

Gwendol
2014-11-14, 08:10 AM
Ok, thanks! I'll aim for one of them then (the one clapping Bran, obviously).

Roland St. Jude
2014-11-14, 10:24 PM
DM action for Mycah. I would have had him attack, but I didn't want to be the one to break his invisibility. So I compromised and just moved him into place.

PCs' turn.

Koren n'Rhys
2014-11-20, 01:22 PM
Sorry! Back now...

Nevaera
2014-11-20, 01:38 PM
I know I automatically hit him as long as he's paralyzed; I don't know whether stabbing him in the back increases the resulting damage or not. [roll0], doubled if it's a backstab.
I would think it does - realistically, you should be able to aim for any vital location available with zero resistance. The "Thief" class is presumed to know where those are thus adding the double damage where anyone else attacking a paralyzed opponent will just hit normal (without fear of missing).
But just as well, there might be different rules in BECMI.

Koren n'Rhys
2014-11-20, 02:34 PM
Roland - Have you said what the actual STR loss was from opening the door? I see Nevaera is adjusting her attack and damage rolls - or at least putting the note in.

I did NOT account for that in my post - my first combat roll in a long time. But if it's even a -1 to STR, then he's now at a -1 to-hit and dam on melee attacks going forward.

Nevaera
2014-11-20, 06:37 PM
Should be -3 to STR, I think it was. >.<

Kish
2014-11-20, 09:48 PM
Oh jeez, I just realized I forgot to take that into account too when I switched from bow to dagger.

Sorry, Roland. You should give your priests two hit points each back (or possibly her attack on the unparalyzed priest would have missed outright); each of Aditi's rolls would have been one point lower.

Roland St. Jude
2014-11-20, 10:23 PM
Okay:

1. There's no rules for interaction between backstabbing and paralyzation, so I assume its per normal, autohit and backstab damage.
2. - 3 STR; it's in the spoiler of the relevant stone mural moving post.
3. Hrm, yes, with that adjustment it's a miss. We'll turn it into a zero-damage strike blocked by his armor. The narrative still works, surprisingly, so I'll leave it.

Koren n'Rhys
2014-11-21, 02:04 PM
Well, that's not very nice. :smallannoyed:
Luckily a 6 (!) STR is still only a -1 modifier in combat. Much more of a hindrance for skill and ability checks.

Frivolous
2014-11-21, 02:14 PM
Well, that's not very nice. :smallannoyed:
Luckily a 6 (!) STR is still only a -1 modifier in combat. Much more of a hindrance for skill and ability checks.

Beware of 6-year-olds bearing swords. Because they will kill you! :smallsmile:

Roland St. Jude
2014-11-22, 09:53 PM
I'm traveling this week so DM posts might be delayed a bit.

Frivolous
2014-11-22, 10:11 PM
Okay. Safe journeys, Roland.

Gwendol
2014-11-24, 10:29 AM
Ok, Godspeed.

Gwendol
2014-11-27, 07:45 AM
I'm delaying action to see if we can get the group going, or shed some more light on our situation. I have no enemies in sight to attack at the moment.

Koren n'Rhys
2014-11-27, 09:14 AM
Happy Thanksgiving to all my fellow American gamers!

Koren n'Rhys
2014-11-28, 09:24 AM
We're headed out of town for the rest of the weekend to visit family, so likely no online time for me. Back in the saddle on Monday. Stay safe out there if you brave the Black Friday sales!

Nevaera
2014-11-28, 04:31 PM
Happy Thanksgiving to those celebrating this weekend. ^_^
We had ours all out of the way weeks ago. XP

Hope my IC post helps things along if Roland's back already. Sorry it was so late.

I was thinking about possible acronyms with our character names - one to incorporate all of ours currently present and I got BANANA PM ... like "banana past morning" or PM BANANA like "personal message banana". XD

Roland St. Jude
2014-12-03, 10:19 PM
Let's go bananas.

By which I mean, anyone else want in on the IC before I move things along?

Gwendol
2014-12-04, 03:22 AM
Nope, I'm all set!

Frivolous
2014-12-04, 12:02 PM
Go ahead, Roland.

Frivolous
2014-12-05, 01:10 PM
Just FYI, Bran is short but stocky and somewhat overweight. :smallsmile: He's probably the heaviest PC in the party.

Frivolous
2014-12-11, 08:59 AM
Roland, is the poultice still "working" or has it "expired" from being made a day ago?

Roland St. Jude
2014-12-11, 06:54 PM
Roland, is the poultice still "working" or has it "expired" from being made a day ago?Definitely expired.

Frivolous
2014-12-12, 12:17 AM
Drat. Oh well. It would have been hard to predict in advance when we'd meet a giant poisonous spider in this bizarre location.

Gwendol
2014-12-12, 02:35 AM
Ouch. Well, let's hope it doesn't last long then. Athos will be ready to do some bandaging once we're reasonably safe.

EDIT: The magic dagger I got, is it still stuck in the dead spider, or did it return?

Roland St. Jude
2014-12-12, 02:49 AM
It stuck. Not a returning dagger, I'm afraid.

Gwendol
2014-12-12, 03:11 AM
It is returning, but only on a miss. I dug up the rules and checked (Ch. 16, miscellaneous magic weapons).

Koren n'Rhys
2014-12-12, 09:11 AM
Two Nat 20s in a row! Woot!

Now you need one for Ash, Nevaera, cause Mycah won't take this well if she dies on him.

Frivolous
2014-12-12, 12:18 PM
Nah, we still have the antidote originally from Alanna and the herbs to make the poultice.

Of course, it would be best if Ash did make the saving throw, so we don't have to use any of them.

Nevaera
2014-12-12, 03:20 PM
I am sooooooo sorry. I had a lot going on and the thread just completely slipped my mind. XO

I'll try to catch up as soon as I can, likely before tomorrow. I skimmed OOC and I need to make a roll for something? Here's a d20 roll in case it helps somewhere.

[roll0]

---

Ooh, nice hit! :O That would hit AC -5, I think. Not sure if a 20 counts as an auto success, but I don't think this could possibly miss. XD

"Mycah, Thief, Lvl 5
AC: 5 HP: 4/7

Attack (Bow): (1d20+1)[21] Thac0 16"

Nevaera
2014-12-16, 02:15 PM
Dratt, two 1's in a row! XD

Frivolous
2014-12-16, 02:16 PM
If it's all right, I'll forebear posting for Bran until the paralysis wears off.

Roland, please let me know if you still want a post from me every round.

Koren n'Rhys
2014-12-16, 02:25 PM
Darn it, there goes my hot streak of Nat 20s. Looks like a miss this time. :smallamused:

Roland St. Jude
2014-12-18, 10:37 PM
If it's all right, I'll forebear posting for Bran until the paralysis wears off. That's sensible.

Frivolous
2014-12-19, 12:04 AM
That's sensible.

Thank you; I was running out of different ways to post that Bran wants to do something but can't. :smallsmile:

Gwendol
2014-12-19, 03:13 AM
Looks like I'm hogging the bad rolls again. Go get him!

Nevaera
2014-12-19, 03:51 PM
Oooh, yay, another Murray for us to do battle along side! ;D

...Current Physical Layout
Aditi, Spider, Murray
Nathros, Ash, Murray
Mycah, Athos

Penny
Brandon
Neela

Frivolous
2014-12-19, 04:11 PM
Nev, I don't think your attack roll makes sense. +6 bonus?

Roland St. Jude
2014-12-19, 07:36 PM
Uh-oh, you've discovered Murray is actually Multiplex!

Matthew
2014-12-20, 06:57 AM
Sorry all. Our household has been afflicted with severe winter colds, meaning our little boy has been off nursery all week, and so the game fell by the wayside!

Frivolous
2014-12-20, 11:33 AM
Sorry all. Our household has been afflicted with severe winter colds, meaning our little boy has been off nursery all week, and so the game fell by the wayside!

Poor fellow. Hope your son and the rest of you get better soon, Matthew.

Koren n'Rhys
2014-12-20, 01:59 PM
Sick kids are never fun, and even worse when you're sick yourself. Get everyone healthy for Christmas!

Roland St. Jude
2014-12-20, 11:40 PM
Matthew, sorry to hear that! Hope you're all happy and healthy now.

Nevaera
2014-12-21, 12:02 AM
Frivolous:
"Nev, I don't think your attack roll makes sense. +6 bonus?"
Oh, it makes sense to me - I used to put the actual THAC0 and just roll the d20 solo, but it seemed to mess it up a bit for Roland sometimes and I think most ppl do it this way anyways.
She's got fighter THAC0 (17), she's got a magic sword (15), she's trained in Sword (14), AND she's trained EXTRA in Sword (13, the week we spent in town - after the bandit ship thing or something), but she suffered from the loss of Strength (14). It's all added up on my character sheet at the beginning of this thread anyways, if that helps.

Roland St. Jude:
"Uh-oh, you've discovered Murray is actually Multiplex!"XD

Matthew:
"Sorry all. Our household has been afflicted with severe winter colds, meaning our little boy has been off nursery all week, and so the game fell by the wayside!"Hope everyone starts feeling better soon.

Matthew
2014-12-21, 07:42 AM
Thanks! We are all feeling a lot better today.

Gwendol
2014-12-21, 03:21 PM
Hi all,
Going north for the holiday and hoping to get some skiing done, as well as the usual celebrations. I might be a bit absent.

Koren n'Rhys
2014-12-21, 05:19 PM
Enjoy the holidays away, Merry Christmas!

Nevaera
2014-12-22, 11:22 PM
Merry Christmas, everyone!
I know I'm early, but I just couldn't wait! On the one hand, I still have a little more present assembling to do, but on the other... I can't wait until it's happening and we can give all the presents to our girl and maybe we can play games or sing songs or something - ooh, and the appetizers and stuff, woot! :smalltongue:

Hope you all have a fabulous holiday season and travel safe if you're travelling. There's some major slippery spots up in parts of Canada and likely upper U.S. too. Especially Alaska, but I'm sure they're used to it. :smallwink:

*hugs for everyone! Sure, even the buskers and such.* :smallbiggrin:

Koren n'Rhys
2014-12-27, 11:37 AM
Hope everyone is having a great Christmas so far! I'm headed out of town for the weekend, so won't be online again until Monday.

Frivolous
2014-12-29, 10:39 AM
Kish: If I haven't mentioned it before, I'm a HUGE fan of Bujold's Vorkosigan.

Unfortunately, I live in the wrong place to meet her. Oh well.

Kish
2014-12-29, 10:42 AM
Cool. Me too (as if you couldn't tell). I've never met her in person either.

Nevaera
2014-12-29, 11:11 AM
Yeah, I like the quotes in your signature, though I'm admittedly unfamiliar with their source.
:smallsmile:

Matthew
2015-01-01, 01:45 AM
A Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you all!

I have to recalculate Nathros' hit points at some point, as I think the current numbers refer to a pre healing point.

Nevaera
2015-01-01, 03:03 PM
Nathros
8/14 hp "yesterday"
+2(from sleeping, maybe?)=10/14
-6 (damage) = 4/14 ?

But I wasn't super liberal with my keeping track lately, so there could have been a heal check made "today", or something, that I wasn't aware of.

Does that help at all?

---

Happy New Years!!!! :D

Nevaera
2015-01-02, 03:37 PM
Yeah, so there's that to keep things interesting. Your play, Nevaera!

Bwahaa! Fun stuff. Honestly, wasn't sure if Ash/someone might end up crossed off by the end of the battle, but then the paralysis wand saved the day along with some lucky rolls and hits. woot! Might as well squeeze in some excitement in case something tragic might happen, yeah? :smalltongue:

Frivolous
2015-01-03, 11:43 PM
Roland: Please let me know when Bran gets free of the paralyzation.

Also, since Athos is or is going to be using the Heal skill on the wounded, Bran took some damage earlier, just before he got paralyzed.

Matthew
2015-01-04, 01:54 AM
Yeah, there was a lot of confusion during the gnoll encounter when Nathros was assigned fire damage. I *think* he started the encounter with 10 hit points, then:

Round ?: Took 2 fire damage
Round 4: Took 4 damage from one hit
Round 5: Took 3 damage from two hits
Round ?: Healed 7 damage (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=17851689&postcount=1322) from Penny
Round ?: Took 2 damage from one hit (mentioned in OoC thread)
After Combat: Healed 2 damage from Athos
Rested: Healed 2 damage

So ... his hit point total at the beginning of the spider encounter was 10.

Nevaera
2015-01-04, 11:09 AM
That sounds good to me, Matthew. ^_^

---

He quickly goes through pockets and folds in the priestly robes, before tending to the wounded.
Did you want to make your rolls in the OOC?

while trying to get 15 or lower, right? ( Cause you're character Int. is 15, I think. ) I'll suggest this for the healing...
Put a bunch of rolls set up and put everyone's names that needs healing beside each set of rolls.

Like:
Ash 1d20
Nathros 1d20
Mycah 1d20
Aditi? 1d20
Murray 1d20
Brandon 1d20
Penny 1d20
Neela? 1d20

=
+2 hp (if between 1-15 is rolled) /
+0 hp (if between 16-19 is rolled) /
-2 hp if 20 is rolled
I'm not sure anymore, but I think Athos might take a slight penalty to trying to do a heal check on himself. If so, I can make a roll as Ash to help with that, though I'd have to roll lower than a 10.

Frivolous
2015-01-06, 12:42 AM
Roland: Is Bran still paralyzed or held?

Roland St. Jude
2015-01-06, 12:43 PM
Roland: Is Bran still paralyzed or held?Yes. He was the victim of a hold person spell, which keeps him that way for about 90 minutes. I imagine that we'll narrate up to that in the next couple rounds of posting.

Frivolous
2015-01-07, 12:11 PM
Yes. He was the victim of a hold person spell, which keeps him that way for about 90 minutes. I imagine that we'll narrate up to that in the next couple rounds of posting.

That's terrible.

I envision being held is a lot like watching a movie at a cinema and not being able to leave or even turn your head until the end.

And I imagine Bran's impulse upon regaining motor control would be the same as if he were a captive audience at that movie: He'd want to pee.

Roland St. Jude
2015-01-07, 02:04 PM
Healing rolls, if applicable:

[roll0] Aditi [roll1]
[roll2] Ash [roll3]
[roll4] Athos [roll5]
[roll6] Brandon [roll7]
[roll8] Murray [roll9]
[roll10] Mycah [roll11]
[roll12] Nathros [roll13]
[roll14] Penny [roll15]

Frivolous
2015-01-07, 02:07 PM
Cool; what's the target number on those, please?

Nevaera
2015-01-07, 03:14 PM
And I imagine Bran's impulse upon regaining motor control would be the same as if he were a captive audience at that movie: He'd want to pee.

Hahahaha

---

Thank you Roland.

And the roll to beat (equal or lower) was 15 (from Athos).

Heal - (1d20)[20] Aditi hp - (1d3)[2]
Heal - (1d20)[3] Ash hp - (1d3)[2]
Heal - (1d20)[18] Athos hp - (1d3)[1]
Heal - (1d20)[12] Brandon hp - (1d3)[1]
Heal - (1d20)[2] Murray hp - (1d3)[2]
Heal - (1d20)[16] Mycah hp - (1d3)[3]
Heal - (1d20)[14] Nathros hp - (1d3)[2]
Heal - (1d20)[7] Penny hp - (1d3)[3]

That means Aditi gets nothing (or needs more healing?)
Ash gets 2.
Athos gets nothing (though I thought there was a penalty to his efforts to heal himself, so it'd be better if Ash gave it a try?).
Brandon gets 1.
Murray gets 2.
Mycah gets nothing (so close!).
Nathros gets 2 (thank goodness).
and Penny gets 3.

Now, if any character has under 5 or 6 HP at the end of this and looks wounded, they might want to consider a heal spell. If someone goes down from a hard hit that makes them have to roll a save because of the amount of damage they took beyond what they have, (if that's a thing in BECMI) then they'd have better odds if they aren't almost dead to begin with. I'm tired. I don't want to go look up the rule on that. XD
On a side, don't we usually default to 2HP +/- when dealing with HP rather than rolling? (unless the player themselves decides to make the roll)

Roland St. Jude
2015-01-07, 05:56 PM
That means Aditi gets nothing (or needs more healing?)Yeah, a 20 is a botch, which actually inflicts that much damage. I don't actually recall whether she needed any healing, but if so, ouch.

On a side, don't we usually default to 2HP +/- when dealing with HP rather than rolling? (unless the player themselves decides to make the roll)We do offer that choice for hp recovered by sleeping (by house rule). I think we always roll for the heal checks, but I could be misremebering.

Kish
2015-01-07, 06:11 PM
Aditi was at 12/16 before we rested. If she recovered 2 HP overnight, then she was at 14/16 and...is now back down to 12/16.

Nevaera
2015-01-07, 07:28 PM
Yeah, I think we always take 2 unless player rolls (for anything 1d3 heal/injury related).

XD Good thing Aditi is a healthful lass. ;P

If there's penalties to Heal checks for a player to make for their own character, then here's a roll for healing Athos from Ash.

[roll0] Must be 10 or less to help.

Nevaera
2015-01-07, 07:29 PM
... well then.

---

Well shoot. I suppose we will need to spend a CLW on Mycah as he is still at 4/7 hp. One good shot will likely drop him.
Yeah, likely either way, but more likely a smaller hit will do him in without a spell heal. I hope we have a few at our disposal at least, rather than just a couple.
I hope Mycah is the only one with hit points that low too.

If no one else takes any damage today, we might be able to heal up a little with the remaining spells before resting for a refresh. It's only been a couple hours or so this day though. I guess when Bran thaws, it'll be nearing 3hrs or so.

Heh, at the rate we lose healers, we might want to try getting those heal spells used sooner rather than later though. XP

Well - time to take down the ol' Christmas tree... Ukranian Christmas was yesterday, so I let it stay up extra. When you can celebrate an extra holiday, I say go for it. XD

Nevaera
2015-01-12, 03:24 PM
Anyone have any thoughts on what to do with Mister Stiffly and Mister Stiffly? Like what to ask them when they unfreeze and such.
Guess we shouldn't travel anywhere while Brandon is also paralyzed. XD

Gwendol
2015-01-14, 03:00 AM
Athos isn't wounded, so no need to roll. He can't take a hit anyway ;-)

Yeah, Athos has a 14 INT, and +1 from advanced skill.

Here's my roll for alchemy (poulstice): [roll0]

Gwendol
2015-01-14, 06:57 AM
Short of a casting of Identify, what can we use to divine the nature of the wand?

Frivolous
2015-01-14, 11:53 AM
Nev: I don't think Bran is free to move yet. Marching order that includes him may be a bit premature.

Also, did anyone cast Cure Light Wounds or better on Nathros? He's very badly damaged, after all.

Short of a casting of Identify, what can we use to divine the nature of the wand?

Convince its former owner to reveal its nature and the activation word.

Other than that, Identify is the only method I know of.

Nevaera
2015-01-14, 03:57 PM
Athos isn't wounded, so no need to roll. He can't take a hit anyway ;-)Oh, thank goodness. :smallbiggrin:

Nev: I don't think Bran is free to move yet. Marching order that includes him may be a bit premature.I agree. I'm sure I hadn't planned one out yet.
I don't know what our plan is until after we have Brandon moving on his own again anyways. :smalltongue:

Also, did anyone cast Cure Light Wounds or better on Nathros? He's very badly damaged, after all. I know he gets 2 HP back and he only has 14 total. He's doing as good/bad as most of the rest of us, so we'll save that spell for later or maybe on Mycah cause he's at 4 HP only and he'll go down like ship with an iceberg in the hull if he's hit by most anything. :smalleek:

Convince its former owner to reveal its nature and the activation word.
Other than that, Identify is the only method I know of.Sounds sound to me. I hope we can find a way to get those dark priest guys to cooperate on that.

I am not sure, but if you can discern what the activation word is by any markings on the wand or some other way, then I think you can just point it at the appropriate target (item/place/being) and say the activation word - then find out what it did. Probably have to be a caster of the right type already though and it's probably not recommendable anyways. :smallwink:

Gwendol
2015-01-15, 02:48 AM
Is anyone brave enough to search the spiders lair?

Nevaera
2015-01-15, 05:24 PM
With an anti-venom poultice applied, Ash would risk it (though they still do significant damage when they hit).
Is there a layer? I've only read the information once so far and I'm prone to missing or miss-interpreting on my first read-through.
:smallbiggrin:

Koren n'Rhys
2015-01-16, 10:12 AM
Mycah and Aditi are already on it.

Frivolous
2015-01-18, 12:51 PM
Roland: Before I forget, did the party find unholy symbols on the Spider clerics?

I ask because they'll lose a lot of their power (and danger) if we take away the symbols. Plus we might want to destroy them or take them as souvenirs or something.

Let me know if the above questions should have been asked IC. If yes, Bran will do so once he has his cuttings and spooky fruit.

Roland St. Jude
2015-01-18, 06:18 PM
No. But also, both are still wearing their armor, clothes, and whatever is underneath.

Frivolous
2015-01-18, 11:54 PM
Okay. Well, as soon as you indicate Bran's got his fruit and cuttings, I know what his next actions will be. :smallsmile:

Nevaera
2015-01-21, 09:39 AM
Crazy week at work - might be catching a cold - super tired. XD
Not sure when I'll have both time and energy to sort out a post dedicated to an interrogation. I think we'd benefit greatly with some OOC chat on what we feel we'd like to know from the dark priests and what we think they'll tell us.
I am of the opinion that there is little cooperation to be expected, if any. That we should be clear - short and concise - with our questions and that we should try to keep them to a minimal (1-3 questions) if we want to get anything out of them.

They're not likely going to be any more help than the bandits way back when.
That interrogation was a blast however! :smallbiggrin:
Anyone know/remember how that went? :smallsmile:

Nevaera
2015-01-23, 02:49 PM
Alright - guess Ash'll plan to ask them (her phrasing would allow for "yes/no" responses for the first bit - depending on how cooperative they were):

What motivates them (living/power/afterlife/money...)
How many more are there and of what capabilities (spiders/undead/casters/traps etc...)
How to reach Ederick and any others safely
What are they planning - for what purpose
What reason can they offer that would make us choose to keep them alive (otherwise, why would they be at all helpful? :smalltongue: )
All that sound good to you guys?
Any cool tricks in mind to get them talking? - that is, if we'll let them actually speak...

All I got so far is to be short-winded, intimidating/bold/confident, threaten them, offer to inflict pain on the ally to get the other to talk...
Unless they care more of themselves. Will more likely offer a swift and somewhat painless death, seeing as torture is not something Ash is either keen on, nor has she done it before. Though, she's totally fine with using suggestive words with no commitment - just implying things.
"Who knows if it'll be a perilous journey returning... perhaps we'll need to bring something to sacrifice to the large animals or to the viper lords."
That kind of thing. Stuff that implies they might suffer at the hands of other crazy folks out there ...
- actually -
Perhaps their forced servitude as a trade for safe passage - might "work out a deal" like that as opposed to being "capped" right here, heh.
Gosh, this is partly why I didn't want to do the interrogating. XD ...and maybe threaten to use their yet to be undead bodies against their former goals (once they have been killed swiftly and turned by their former allies). But that last one is kinda severe and ideally not on the table anyways.

Koren n'Rhys
2015-01-23, 04:05 PM
Good luck withe the interrogation - hope it's effective.

Roland: I will be heading out of town and gone all next week for work. Even if the hotel has wifi, I don't expect to have time to get online enough to bother with. You'll need to puppet Mycah and keep him out of trouble for me.

Nevaera
2015-01-23, 05:31 PM
Invisibility would help with that. :smallwink:
Hehehe

Nevaera
2015-01-26, 09:35 AM
Koren n'Rhys
Re: Old Ways OOC IV

Good luck withe the interrogation - hope it's effective.

And thanks. ^_^ I hope it goes well too. I think I've got it going in the right direction. :smallsmile: (Probably should have taken a tad more time warming them up though, maybe - to grant a false sense of security in the less consequential questions being asked. Meh. :smallbiggrin: I suppose it doesn't hurt that everyone was just saying "I consider their lives forfeit either way" and such. I'd find that pretty darn intimidating, myself, hehe. )

Kish
2015-01-29, 09:15 PM
I'm guessing neither of those names means anything to us.

Frivolous
2015-01-29, 10:52 PM
We've never heard of Hutaakans before. Traldar slaves sounds like Traladarans.

Roland St. Jude
2015-01-31, 01:35 AM
Sorry for all the NPC narrative. That historical information was supposed to come from a PC (Alanna) but she didn't make it this far.

Frivolous
2015-02-03, 12:07 PM
Wb, Korin! Lucky you got a vacation. :smallsmile:

Koren n'Rhys
2015-02-03, 02:57 PM
Thanks - no vacation though. A fun-filled 60 hr workweek away from home. Glad to be back in my own bed at night!

Frivolous
2015-02-04, 12:33 AM
Ouch. Sorry to hear that about the 60 hours.

Roland St. Jude
2015-02-24, 12:37 PM
Hey all, are we still doing this or have we ground to a halt? :smalleek:

Kish
2015-02-24, 12:40 PM
I believe we're waiting in ambush for the priests' relief.

Frivolous
2015-02-24, 12:58 PM
Sorry, Roland, I didn't notice the sudden gap.

Stand by for my post.

Nevaera
2015-02-26, 05:25 PM
Lots of sick and stuff going around here, sorry it took so long for me to weigh in again. >.<

---

Matthew, would you like Nathros to get the HP or would you not really care/mind if Ashala got them? She's down quite a few total, which is one of her really good assets to contribute to the party (soaking up attacks with her armor and, if need be, her HP as well). But I don't remember how low Nathros' are - if he's got under 7, he should probably get the heal spell.

Frivolous
2015-02-27, 03:42 PM
Roland: Since presumably the 2 clerics turned to face Bran when he attacked, would that permit Aditi to perform a backstab next round, or does she need to do it this surprise round to backstab at all?

Roland St. Jude
2015-02-27, 08:12 PM
Lots of sick and stuff going around here, sorry it took so long for me to weigh in again. >.<Wishing you all wellness and good luck!

Roland: Since presumably the 2 clerics turned to face Bran when he attacked, would that permit Aditi to perform a backstab next round, or does she need to do it this surprise round to backstab at all?In this edition, the thief must "sneak up on the victim completely unnoticed" to backstab. Just being in the foes field of vision is enough to prevent that.

Matthew
2015-03-01, 05:31 AM
If we rested, then Nathros has 8/14 hit points, so +7 would be a waste.

Gwendol
2015-03-02, 03:19 AM
Did we rest long enough for Athos to recover spells?

Nevaera
2015-03-02, 09:31 AM
Lots of sick and stuff going around here, sorry it took so long for me to weigh in again. >.<
Wishing you all wellness and good luck!
Thank you. We're all mostly better now. ^_^

---

Doesn't Athos have some leftover Sleep spells from the day before? (I don't think he used two just on the spider and priest encounter and that's all we did the last day after waking.)
Plus, I think mages need time to prepare spells in the morning, but that could maybe just be my 3.5 influence carrying over. XD

On the +2 HP from sleeping topic, I think we've only got to the beginning of the night, so there'd not be any healing progress from sleeping yet, I think. Pretty sure Brandon and Aditi took up first watch.

---

Let's kick some "Hun-y-Bun!" :smallwink: :smallbiggrin:

---

PS: I love how clear the spoiler info. was last round, Roland. I was glad to have the fun flavour text while not being confused after due to the explanation. :smallsmile:

Nevaera
2015-03-06, 09:00 AM
... - Deeper than the darkest night, only Nathros has experienced darkness so complete, but this darkness is plainly magical, unpenetrable by infravision. It engulfs every member of the party. - ...

I think we had a darkness spell cast on us back at the Serpent Lord(s), come to think of it. :smallbiggrin:

Nevaera
2015-03-06, 09:48 AM
Forgot to roll my alertness. XP

Alertness DC13: [roll0]

Also, her pre-spoiler post stuff should look like this:

ASH

Upon the darkness washing over the party, Ash instantly crouches and keeps her shield raised ahead of her. If attacked by a bludgeoning weapon or if she hears the whispers of a an enemy's spell near her, she retaliates to meet the source with force. Her voice is likely distinct and familiar to the party, should they hear her words. "They've got us in a blind bottleneck - careful!" she references a tactical term without immediately realizing. She cautiously presses ahead a bit, believing it more likely the only direction available. She believes they'd probably not cast the spell much on themselves, but more on the party to break coordination and stifle the attack.

Ash creeps forward (with intent to travel into the dark tunnel in pursuit of the evading dark-priests) - wary of who/what she might bump into - and ready to attack if the enemy is identifiable through the sounds and clues she encounters. She's relying heavily on her sense of touch and hearing while making an effort to avoid a trap if one is possibly triggered by her. She notes if her feet encounter a variation in terrain or if her sides touch a wall, if she bumps into a person (how much noise/impact she makes against them), and the echoes of motion in any direction from her.

She wonders what the cost might be to counter this magic darkness if Petra's shield could lend her aid there - is it my soul, my years of life, the blood of my enemy, all my fortune, or perhaps memories? What's the cost? How can I know if it's worth it to try?

Nevaera
2015-03-06, 06:13 PM
Oh crud - that's what I get for posting in a hurry before work again. >.<

I remember my attack roll was 8+6 = 14
and my DMG was 4 (-1 cause of strength penalty?)

But I could reroll if that's preferred. I'm such a knob. I thought I hadn't rolled yet and tried to add the alertness roll in after and then somehow pooched it. Then I thought I could just hit the <back> button to undo the dumbness, but of course that didn't turn out, so - Oops. X)

Roland St. Jude
2015-03-06, 07:18 PM
I believe you. No need to re-roll. But it probably doesn't matter. Moving cautiously forward, it's unlikely Ash reaches anything attackable this round.

I was in a PbP once that I still think of dice rolling practice. It was fairly high-level with lots of dice rolling, and editing posts after the dice were rolled was part of the set-up. I think we rolled and then edited in some additional math the roller couldn't handle and edited our text to better describe the result, if we knew it. Anyway, just about the time we all got the hang of doing that without mucking up the rolls, it ended suddenly. :smallsigh: But at least we all gained some mastery of the dice roller code. :smallsmile:

Frivolous
2015-03-09, 11:38 AM
May I ask for clarification on who went into the darkness and is still there, and who stayed on the garden side or returned?

My theory and Bran's theory is that it's best to go one by one or at most two by two, to avoid running and fighting other PCs while in the darkness.

But sound travels fairly well, so if we can just get vocal confirmation that they've reached the other side, there's less chance for friendly stab.

Koren n'Rhys
2015-03-09, 12:21 PM
Mycah backed out and is on Bran's side for now.

For what it's worth, I think based on what was described, Nevaera has the right idea. A push through, and likely only those two on the (immediate) other side. Not sure about tying ourselves together though, so Frivolous may have the best idea there. In the PCs experience, the magical darkness will be a limited area - whether Continual or not - so they'd know to just get through it and out the other side, especially with confirmation it has a limited area on our side at least. As injured as they are, I doubt the priests are actually in the darkness.

Nevaera
2015-03-09, 04:42 PM
Thanks. :smallsmile:
No tying intended - just holding the rope or something to get a quick caravan(train) going. :smallbiggrin:
Agreed. Perhaps the rope is not required - hand on shoulder or some such might be more efficient/fast.

There should be an oil flask or two in the bag of holding and there would be a small ember-burning campfire or some such for light over the night. Perhaps some torches could be utilized by the mages or something.
Of course there's no need to use the oil if we can just use magic and stuff.
It's also possible there's more than just a couple priests on the other side - I forget what the prisoners had mentioned, but these two were just sent to relieve our captives of duty, not to hold the fort on the other end - this is probably a much bigger fight we are getting into - so maybe some sleep spells and AOE fire-oil will really make the difference. No worries about the greenery this time, in any case. XD

Nevaera
2015-03-10, 08:40 AM
Just to be noted - Aditi should now have the bag of holding in her possession. :smallsmile:

Gwendol
2015-03-11, 04:24 AM
Yeah, Athos is looking to be close enough to the front to launch a spell or two.

Frivolous
2015-03-14, 04:30 PM
In case anyone is wondering, Bran checked to see if his money is still there, in case the Shadow took it or something.

Roland St. Jude
2015-03-15, 01:29 AM
For this round's post, Aditi should describe how far forward she's willing to press. She can reach the archway with a normal movement or get in the room at a run.

Everyone else should decide where in this "there and back" hallway they'd like to be. The group is presently about 30' from the shadow mural entrance with about 20' left before the turn. And, obviously, it's 50' from that turn back to the archway on the level below.

Movement, preparation, ordering (everyone's currently in a bunch), etc. Whatever you want to do while Aditi scouts ahead.