PDA

View Full Version : Ridiculous Idea for a Mount

xkaliburr
2014-09-04, 09:30 PM
OK, so I am trying to figure out how to make something work for a character I play. It is a Paladin, and I want to have a Warhorse who can use weapons. For example, grasping a spear in his tail, and stabbing as he rides by. I saw the feat prehensile tail, but it has too many pre-reqs. Any ideas on how to make my stabby horse idea happen?

If not, are there any enhancements you can add to hooves, like bludgeoning horse shoes or anything of the sort.

WhamBamSam
2014-09-04, 09:44 PM
Warhorses don't qualify for prehensile tail unless you jump through a lot of hoops, as you need a tail attack, not just a tail. The only thing that springs to mind offhand is to have it become a dragonborn and take Dragon Tail.

You probably want a Mouthpick Weapon (Lords of Madness). A creature with a natural bite attack (like a horse) can wield a mouthpick weapon in its mouth, losing the bite, but gaining iterative attacks. They automatically grant proficiency too, so your horse can swing a spiked chain, screw around with a gnomish quickrazor, or spit harpoons if such is your desire. It's a +1 equivalent enhancement.

You could also give your horse an Amulet of Mighty Fists or a Necklace of Natural Attacks to add magical enhancements to its natural attacks.

Red Fel
2014-09-04, 09:51 PM
OK, so I am trying to figure out how to make something work for a character I play. It is a Paladin, and I want to have a Warhorse who can use weapons. For example, grasping a spear in his tail, and stabbing as he rides by. I saw the feat prehensile tail, but it has too many pre-reqs. Any ideas on how to make my stabby horse idea happen?

If not, are there any enhancements you can add to hooves, like bludgeoning horse shoes or anything of the sort.

Obligatory handbook (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=7414). (Hoofbook?)

Pity he doesn't have a bite attack; you could give him a mouthpick weapon.

In any event, Horseshoes of Flame (Savage Species). You can turn that bad boy into a Nightmare. Its hooves light things on fire! Also it flies. Fun, right?

Seriously, though, bite attack, mouthpick weapon. Look into it.

KingSmitty
2014-09-04, 09:57 PM
one spell comes to mind, Arms of Plenty from Lords of Madness but Ed wouldn't be able to wield a sword....

Why not enchant the saddle and have one side of the saddle bags launch fireballs and the other side's saddle bags launch magic missle, im picturing something out of the movie desperado here. Your donkey now has a missile launcher and a minigun :smallcool:

this actually gives me a great idea for my next character build! :smallamused:

xkaliburr
2014-09-04, 10:13 PM
Obligatory handbook (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=7414). (Hoofbook?)

Pity he doesn't have a bite attack; you could give him a mouthpick weapon.

In any event, Horseshoes of Flame (Savage Species). You can turn that bad boy into a Nightmare. Its hooves light things on fire! Also it flies. Fun, right?

Seriously, though, bite attack, mouthpick weapon. Look into it.

Actually, the warhorse does have a bite attack. I am going to look up mouthpick. I would love to have the minimum mentioned next, but I fear the cost on that might be a bit prohibitive for a 9th level character in a low open campaign.

Judge_Worm
2014-09-05, 02:07 AM
Why can't you just ask your DM if you can use a centuar? First gain it as a cohort, then with its permission turn it into the quintessential ba--ss mount. I'm pretty sure the rules don't really allow this, but a DM fiat would, and there is a precident with draconic mounts.

Uncle Pine
2014-09-05, 03:08 AM
Actually, the warhorse does have a bite attack. I am going to look up mouthpick. I would love to have the minimum mentioned next, but I fear the cost on that might be a bit prohibitive for a 9th level character in a low open campaign.

Minimum price for a +1 mouthpick weapon is 8.300 mo. WBL for a 9th level character is 36.000 mo. I say go for a mouthpick heavy crossbow for a ballista-like warhorse!

EDIT: I picture a mouthpick heavy crossbow as some sort of big muzzle that shoots bolts.

Bronk
2014-09-05, 06:49 AM
I second, third, or whatever the mouthpick weapons, but you might want to look into eventually getting the 'Arms of the Naga' and 'Gloves of Man'. Your mouthpick wielding intelligent warhorse could also be using a shield and wielding a large sized longsword in his freaky extra arms, or rear up and grab something with his freaky hoof hands, like that evil deer in Adventure Time.

xkaliburr
2014-09-05, 07:21 AM
I second, third, or whatever the mouthpick weapons, but you might want to look into eventually getting the 'Arms of the Naga' and 'Gloves of Man'. Your mouthpick wielding intelligent warhorse could also be using a shield and wielding a large sized longsword in his freaky extra arms, or rear up and grab something with his freaky hoof hands, like that evil deer in Adventure Time.

OK, I now have the image of a Horse grabbing and holding someone, while a knight on its back just hacks away with a sword.

Fouredged Sword
2014-09-05, 07:47 AM
Buy your horse a fanged mask grants a bite attack to the wearer. A horse can wear a mask. Pair that with a mouthpick weapon and your horse can wield a lance, so you can charge while you charge, and lance while you lance. Something like 20,000 gp all in all though, but still, just items, no other stuff.

Agent 451
2014-09-05, 02:32 PM
Braid blade from Dungeon mag #120 fixed to the tail, maybe?