PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Full attack with a pistol?

Yael
2014-09-05, 01:19 AM
I am certain that pistols (PF's Ultimate Combat) hold a single bullet, and even with the Rapid Reload (One-handed firearms), you can only shot one bullet per turn. So, when you are full attacking with things like itteratives from your high BAB, or the Rapid Shot feat, what can you do here? Because the need of a move action to recharge and the capacity of one bullet isn't enough, when you are using a single pistol, what happens here? How you do it?
How does it work? Also, a mention to the Musket, same question.

A theory I had is that if you have the Quick Draw feat, you could drop your weapons as a free action, and draw your next weapon ready to fire up to the number of attacks in one turn (i.e. plus one with rapid shot, and plus one because +6/+1 BAB). Does this work?

NotScaryBats
2014-09-05, 01:24 AM
I think the best answer is to buy a revolver by the time you're getting iterative attacks. No chicanery needed.

Yael
2014-09-05, 01:25 AM
I think the best answer is to buy a revolver by the time you're getting iterative attacks. No chicanery needed.

You are maybe right...

Drelua
2014-09-05, 01:25 AM
I'm not too familiar with PF's gun rules, but I believe the answer is alchemical cartidges that reduce the action to reload down one step, stacking with Rapid Reload to get it down to a free action if you have both. The downside is that they're more expensive, and I'm not sure but I think they increase the misfire chance.

Necroticplague
2014-09-05, 01:31 AM
I am certain that pistols (PF's Ultimate Combat) hold a single bullet, and even with the Rapid Reload (One-handed firearms), you can only shot one bullet per turn. So, when you are full attacking with things like itteratives from your high BAB, or the Rapid Shot feat, what can you do here? Because the need of a move action to recharge and the capacity of one bullet isn't enough, when you are using a single pistol, what happens here? How you do it?
How does it work? Also, a mention to the Musket, same question.

A theory I had is that if you have the Quick Draw feat, you could drop your weapons as a free action, and draw your next weapon ready to fire up to the number of attacks in one turn (i.e. plus one with rapid shot, and plus one because +6/+1 BAB). Does this work?

Yes, the trick you list works. Unfortunately, guns are pretty expensive, so it might not be an ideal solution as you increase in level. There's a feat that makes it so you can holster weapons as a free action that helps keep your weapons secure while doing this trick. There's also Alchemical Cartridges (basically, bullets as we know them today), which can turn a mover-action reload into a free action. Unfortunately, these are also pretty expensive, costing 12 GP a shot. So unless you're in a Guns Everywhere campaign, this might be hard to maintain a high rate of fire with.

That's why, at least in my opinion, smiper-type builds that pump all the damage they can out of one shot are more useful, because when you pay for every attack, you want to make it count.

The Insanity
2014-09-05, 08:03 AM
Unfortunately, these are also pretty expensive, costing 12 GP a shot. So unless you're in a Guns Everywhere campaign, this might be hard to maintain a high rate of fire with.
They cost much less if you craft them yourself. You only need 1 rank in Craft (Alchemy) for that. It's still costly though (IIRC, 1 gold per bullet), just not as much.

ShurikVch
2014-09-05, 11:09 AM
Is it necessary to use Pf rules?

Firearms in both Dungeon Master's Guide and article "The Way of the Gun" (Dr#321) are reload as standard action - pistols, musket (even field gun :smallamused: )

Quick Draw -> reload as free action -> Rapid Shot -> full attack!

ericgrau
2014-09-05, 11:31 AM
Quick drawing many pistols is a perfectly reasonable and realistic way to rapid fire. Both rapid shot and TWF can add to that. They are especially nice if you can get touch attacks to overcome the attack roll penalties. But there are plenty of other ways too.

By mid level or sooner the cost of lots of mundane gear is pretty trivial, even special ammo that you never see again. Unless your DM is running low wealth.

Slipperychicken
2014-09-05, 11:36 AM
Gunslingers and others with the Gunsmithing feat craft for 90% off when crafting powder and ammunition, including alchemical/paper cartridges. That lets you craft paper cartriges at 1.2 gold a pop. You can make about 83 per day, since the max os 1000gp/day.

For pistols: Rapid Reload, Paper Cartridges.

For muskets: Rapid Reload, Paper Cartridges, Fast Musket class feature (from the Musket Master archetype).

If you have way too much money, you can get a Pistol of the Infinite Sky, which has infinite shots, reloads automatically for no action, and never misfires.

ShurikVch
2014-09-05, 01:18 PM
Powderhorn (35 gp, 2 lb.)

These sholder-strung horns or leather flasks are filled with 2 pounds of gunpowder. As a firearm requires 1 ounce of gunpowder every time it is reloaded, powderhorns contain enough gunpowder to fire 32 shots from most firearms.
Drawing gunpowder from a powderhorn to reload a weapon is a free action.

Slipperychicken
2014-09-05, 01:25 PM
Powderhorn (35 gp, 2 lb.)

You still need to spend an action to load the bullet. Besides, drawing ammunition has always been a free action taken as part of reloading.