PDA

View Full Version : New Monster: Verdant Force

Druid
2007-03-09, 01:40 AM
Not completely finished yet as the SRD entry for treant seems to be missing a few details. I'll probably be cleaning a few things up over the next few days when I get back to my books. Until then I'd love to hear what people think. This ("http://sales.starcitygames.com/cardsearch.php?singlesearch=Verdant%20Force) is the magic card that gave me the idea.

Verdant Force
Size/Type: Huge plant
Hit Dice: 9d8+54 (94)
Initiative: +0
Speed: 40 ft (8 squares)
Armor Class: 23 (-2 size, +15 natural), touch 7, flat footed 23
Base Attack/Grapple: +6/+24
Attack: Slam +14 melee (3d6+10)
Full Attack: 2 slams +14 melee (3d6+10)
Space/Reach: 15 ft./15 ft.
Special Attacks: Animate trees, double damage against objects, trample 2d6+14, birth saproling
Special Qualities: Damage Reduction 15/slashing, fast healing 5, low light vision, plant traits, vulnerability to fire
Saves: Fort +12, Ref +3, Will +10
Abilities: Str 31, Dex 10, Con 23, Int 12, Wis 20, Cha 14
Skills: Diplomacy +3, Hide -8*, Intimidate +6, Knowledge (nature) +6, Listen +11, Sense Motive +11, Spot +11, Survival +10 (+12 aboveground)
Feats: Improved Sunder, Iron Will, Power Attack, Improved Natural Attack (slam)
Environment: Temperate forests
Organization: Solitary, garden (1 verdant force with 3-5 saprolings) or grove (4-7 verdant forces with 15-20 saprolings)
Challenge Rating: 10
Treasure: Standard
Alignment: Usually neutral good
Advancement: 10-16 HD (Huge); 17-21 HD (Gargantuan)
Level Adjustment: not sure yet, probably high.

Combat
Verdant Forces prefer to watch potential foes carefully before attacking. They often charge suddenly from cover to trample the despoilers of forests. If sorely pressed, they animate trees as reinforcements. Against weaker opponents they are likely to stay hidden while sending waves of saprolings against their foes.

Animate Trees (Sp): A verdant force can animate trees within 180 feet at will, controlling up to two trees at a time. It takes 1 full round for a normal tree to uproot itself. Thereafter it moves at a speed of 10 feet and fights as a treant in all respects. Animated trees lose their ability to move if the verdant force that animated them is incapacitated or moves out of range. The ability is otherwise similar to liveoak (caster level 12th). Animated trees have the same vulnerability to fire that a verdant force has.

Double Damage against Objects (Ex): A verdant force or animated tree that makes a full attack against an object or structure deals double damage.

Trample (Ex): Reflex DC 22 half. The save DC is Strength-based. Skills:

Birth Saproling (Su): Once per round as a free action a verdant force may bring forth a saproling from its own body. The saproling appears fully formed within the verdant force’s square and acts immediately. The saproling is entirely real and doesn’t disappear after a set duration, even if the verdant force that birthed it is destroyed. As long as a the saproling stays within 50 ft of the verdant force that birthed it the saproling receives a +4 bonus to strength, constitution, attack, natural armor, fast healing 5, and damage reduction 10/slashing.

*verdant forces have a +16 racial bonus on Hide checks made in forested areas.

Saproling
Size/Type: Small Plant
Hit Dice: 2d8+2 (13 hp)
Initiative: +0
Speed: 25 ft. (5 squares)
Armor Class: 16 (+1 size, +5 natural), touch 11, flat-footed 16
Base Attack/Grapple: +1/-1
Attack: Slam +4 melee (1d8+2)
Full Attack: 2 slams +4 melee (1d8+2)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Double damage against objects
Special Qualities: Damage reduction 5/slashing, low-light vision, plant traits, vulnerability to fire
Saves: Fort +4, Ref +0, Will +4
Abilities: Str 15, Dex 10, Con 13, Int 10, Wis 12, Cha 8
Skills: coming when I have some more time
Feats: Iron Will
Environment: Temperate forests
Organization: Solitary, grove (4-7) or forest (10-20)
Challenge Rating: 1
Treasure: none
Alignment: Usually neutral good
Advancement: 2-6 HD (Small); 7-10 HD (Medium)
Level Adjustment: you really want to play one of these things?

Coming Later: a stat block for the saproling with the bonuses figured in and possibly some better flavor text.

DraPrime
2007-03-09, 02:31 AM
Not bad. Not bad at all.

Destro_Yersul
2007-03-09, 02:41 AM
Very cool. I remember I had a Force deck once that used Doubling Season and Followed Footsteps to make OMGWTFBBQ tokens. That was fun :smallsmile:. As for your creature, you may want to reduce the treasure it has, speaking from a logical perspective. As the forests protector it's more likely to toss anything it finds than it is to hoard it somewhere.

Szatany
2007-03-09, 03:08 AM
I'd say verdant force's CR is 6, maybe 7.

Haruspex
2007-03-09, 05:13 AM
Awesome. I was a big fan of Green myself.

Orzel
2007-03-09, 11:55 AM
Nic. I like the verdant force.

Saps should only have 1 HD with a negative INT modifier.

Saprolings are the weakest living things that could injure a human. Weaker than a goblin warrior at least.

ajkkjjk52
2007-03-09, 01:43 PM

I'd say more like 8 or 9. 90+ hp, 20+ AC, not to mention the animate trees ability.

Druid
2007-03-09, 03:27 PM
Nic. I like the verdant force.

Saps should only have 1 HD with a negative INT modifier.

Saprolings are the weakest living things that could injure a human. Weaker than a goblin warrior at least.

I may lower the intelligence, but if anything I'll be making the saporlings tougher. I know it's not a perfect representation of the creatures from magic, but I want them to be relevent in a fight between a verdant force and a party of appropriate level.

Well, a treant is CR 8 and this thing is just a buffed up treant with minions so it's CR should be at least 9.