PDA

View Full Version : Sources of Malevolence (Su) or similar abilities.

SortofANoob
2014-09-05, 05:32 AM
A buddy of mine wants to join our campaign as an Artificer with the ability to possess living creatures as well as Constructs. And he would prefer a way where he didn't have a body of his own, or one that is something like a gaseous or incorporeal form.

Easiest way I saw was to just add the Ghost template on the race of his choice, making sure to pick the Malevolence ability. The DM may allow the Elemental soul that powers golems to count for Malevolence, if not he will just have him take a feat to allow Malevolence to count on Constructs (similar to the Corpse Malevolence feat from Ghostwalk).

However the DM doesn't want to allow the Ghost template, "thats too powerful. I would have to revamp all opponents to deal with a ghost". The only other template that I have seen with Malevolence is the Suel Lich, which he can't qualify for reguardless (even if Artificer alone COULD qualify, we are only at level 10).

Are there any other known creatures, races, and/or templates that have the Malevolence or similar ability (whether it be ghostly, Psionic, or other source)?

Maybe the best way would be for me to write up a homebrew template of a lesser ghost and see if the DM approves. Something like:
-Undead Traits, attack rules, and damage rules are the same as the regular ghost template.
-Manifestation: A lesser ghost can only occupy one plane at a time (unlike how a manifested ghost acts as being on both the Etheral and Material plane). While Manifested on the Material Plane, a lesser ghost reverts back to much of what it was when he was living. He loses his critical/precise-style damage immunity (unless the base creature also had those immunities), but keeps the Undead Type. Also while manifested he loses his incorpreal subtype and gains the augmented subtype for whatever race he had before gaining the template (ie: Undead with the augmented humainoid subtype)
-Loses the resistance to being turned or rebuked.
-Probably alter Rejuvination slightly (making it a longer wait, or a tougher save)
-Drop the Charisma bonus down to +2
-Keep the Skill bonuses.
-Gain no ghostly equipment upon death, but keep the rules for the 2d4 of items that he/she may still use after death (as long as they remain in their place on the material plane)

I also thought about coming up with a homebrew Flaw for ghosts that could be used instead of, or along with, the above "lesser ghost" template. Something like:
-Weak Soul-
Your soul has a harder time manifesting itself in the Material plane.
Requirements: Manifestation (Su)
Benefit: You can only Manifest once per day and you can only remain Manifested for an amount of rounds equal to your natural will save (Base save + Wis mod). Time spent inhabiting a creature or object via the Malevolence ability, Magic Jar spell, or similar condition does not count towards this time, however time resumes normally after exiting the body that you were inhabiting.
Special: Can only be taken at level one OR the first level after you gain the Manifestation ability.

So any other sources for the Malevolence or similar ability, especially if they fit the flavor of what we are looking for AND wouldn't alter the gameplay of your basic fantasy setting not geared towards PC's as ghosts?
Does the above homebrew template and/or Flaw seems like it may balance out things a bit?
Any other input for such a character?...Besides a venerable aged Ghost Dragonwroght Kobold of course. ;)
Keep in mind the character concept is a bit like Alphonse Elric, except that he can freely possess living being and Contructs, as opposed to his soul being attatched to a single person/construct/item.
And yes, I know he can just use Magic Jar scrolls or something, but I don't think it has the right flavor for him, plus it could be annoying (although comical) if the DM decided to never let the intended target to get near the Magic Jar.

Sorry for the length, just trying to be thorough.