PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Will this work?

Drackstin
2014-09-05, 07:42 AM
So 'm a Sorcerer and i have a crappy familiar, i was wondering if i could find a scroll of this spell (https://www.wizards.com/dnd/article.asp?x=dnd/sb/sb20011109a) to change my Familiar into a earth or wind elemental, since i cant get someone to cast on on my familiar directly. if so, there is a cleric with the wind domain in my group, would she be able to turn destroy/ rebuke command it if i do?, also if she dose, so i get to get a second familiar to take its place? if she controls my tiny wind elemental, dose she then gain the benefit of a familiar?

oh the reason i ask is, im also an evil cleric (heading into True necro) and she is no evil so sometimes i piss her off lol.

nedz
2014-09-05, 07:53 AM
The Improved Familiar feat will get you a Small rather than a Tiny elemental familiar — from level 5.

Fouredged Sword
2014-09-05, 07:56 AM
Yes, a cleric with the wind domain can rebuke your familiar. No, they would have a very hard time controlling it, as it counts as having your HD for determining effects. It would need to have half the clerics HD to be turned. If it was turned, the cleric would be able to give it instructions that it could not refuse by spending a standard action. It would remain your familiar and you would still gain all benefits and drawbacks to having it, but it may not be under your control. Think of it the same way you would if someone cast dominate monster on your familiar.

Drackstin
2014-09-05, 08:17 AM
The Improved Familiar feat will get you a Small rather than a Tiny elemental familiar — from level 5.

well for not wasting a feat i think this is better, but ill keep that in mind. thank you.

Yes, a cleric with the wind domain can rebuke your familiar. No, they would have a very hard time controlling it, as it counts as having your HD for determining effects. It would need to have half the clerics HD to be turned. If it was turned, the cleric would be able to give it instructions that it could not refuse by spending a standard action. It would remain your familiar and you would still gain all benefits and drawbacks to having it, but it may not be under your control. Think of it the same way you would if someone cast dominate monster on your familiar.

So she can turn and destroy my earth elemental, and rebuke command my wind elemental, but if she in controlling it, i still get the +2 initiative. oh she is a very good cleric, high CHR and feat to enhance turn/rebuke, so i have no dought she can make the check.

Fouredged Sword
2014-09-05, 08:34 AM
She could turn it (causing it to flee uncontrollably), and she could rebuke it (causing it to cower), but she will have a hard time CONTROLLING or DESTROYING it. It doesn't matter what your charisma modifier is, nor how high you roll on your turning check. You can only destroy or control creatures with half your CLERIC LEVELS (or other class used to gain turning) or less. Your familiar counts as having the same HD as it's master, so unless you eat a bunch of negative levels, your familiar is safe from being controlled or destroyed.

Now, if he can rebuke it, he can also BOLSTER it, making it much harder for anyone else to turn.

Firest Kathon
2014-09-05, 08:39 AM
oh she is a very good cleric, high CHR and feat to enhance turn/rebuke, so i have no dought she can make the check.
Whether or not she can command your familiar (or any other elemental) is only dependent on her level (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/specialAttacks.htm#destroyingUndead). Her CHA and the feat have no effect on it, so the familiar would only run flee from her.

Drackstin
2014-09-05, 08:53 AM
She could turn it (causing it to flee uncontrollably), and she could rebuke it (causing it to cower), but she will have a hard time CONTROLLING or DESTROYING it. It doesn't matter what your charisma modifier is, nor how high you roll on your turning check. You can only destroy or control creatures with half your CLERIC LEVELS (or other class used to gain turning) or less. Your familiar counts as having the same HD as it's master, so unless you eat a bunch of negative levels, your familiar is safe from being controlled or destroyed.

Now, if he can rebuke it, he can also BOLSTER it, making it much harder for anyone else to turn.

Ahh forgot about that tidbit, thought it still counted as a 1HD monster. and her being able to buff it would be funny. she always makes jokes about building a sharknado spell by mixing summon elemetal and summon monster, this would let her summon fish into it and all of us laugh.

Whether or not she can command your familiar (or any other elemental) is only dependent on her level (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/specialAttacks.htm#destroyingUndead). Her CHA and the feat have no effect on it, so the familiar would only run flee from her.

i forgot that the familiar counts as my HD. so good to know.