PDA

View Full Version : Interrupted move question

ZatriX
2014-09-05, 08:04 AM
Hi all,

It might sound stupid, but here's the situation: a character declares move (30ft) to a specific tile. After having moved 10ft he runs into an invisible wall. Does he still have the remainder of the move and can change his action in the middle of it? Or is he stopped dead in his tracks?

Khedrac
2014-09-05, 08:10 AM
It depends on the DM, but the general rule is that he still has his remaining move left. It's related to the "what happens if a readied action interrupts my attack?" question, where it depends, but usually one can use one's action a different way if the original action is no longer possible.
There are differences such as the character has attempted to move out of their current square, so penalizing them 5' of movement doesn't seem unreasonable.

NOhara24
2014-09-05, 12:57 PM
Hi all,

It might sound stupid, but here's the situation: a character declares move (30ft) to a specific tile. After having moved 10ft he runs into an invisible wall. Does he still have the remainder of the move and can change his action in the middle of it? Or is he stopped dead in his tracks?

I've not come across rules for this; but this is what I would do.

Have the player roll a reflex save to avoid falling on his ass after running into a wall that he couldn't see (Maybe DC 10 or something). If he makes it, he can keep the remainder of his move action. If he fails, he is knocked prone and has to spend a move action next turn getting back up.

Bronk
2014-09-05, 01:39 PM
I think that if the character wasn't actually running and was instead using the slower tactical movement type, they would at most bump into the wall a bit and be able to take the rest of the move if they wanted.

There's a rule for obstacles, which would normally make it twice as hard to get through the square, but in this case the obstacle is insurmountable, so I don't think that would come up (unless they turned and ran into another invisible wall).

ZatriX
2014-09-05, 01:45 PM
Well, technically it's a labyrinth full of invisible walls. He's only just found one of them by running into it :)

Since if was in a forum-based environment, his declared action was "I move 30ft across this empty room to get closer to my enemy".

Bronk
2014-09-05, 02:04 PM
Nifty! Well, maybe if they're not in combat, this wouldn't come up at all if they declare that they're being careful, but if they're under attack you could go with a combination of both of those first two ideas from Khedrac and NOhara24... they sounded pretty reasonable and fun.

master4sword
2014-09-05, 02:05 PM
A similar situation came up during my last session where one of the players walked into an invisible enemy, so I just ruled that the player lost the 5 feet that would have put them in the enemy's space and let them finish their movement elsewhere, as I also haven't found any explicit rules as to what happens when you walk into something invisible.

ZatriX
2014-09-05, 02:18 PM
Nifty! Well, maybe if they're not in combat, this wouldn't come up at all if they declare that they're being careful, but if they're under attack you could go with a combination of both of those first two ideas from Khedrac and NOhara24... they sounded pretty reasonable and fun.

If it wasn't in combat it wouldn't be a problem, yip. Unfortunately there are two very hungry chuuls headed their way (and those pesky things know the labyrinth by heart, so it doesn't slow them down).

A similar situation came up during my last session where one of the players walked into an invisible enemy, so I just ruled that the player lost the 5 feet that would have put them in the enemy's space and let them finish their movement elsewhere, as I also haven't found any explicit rules as to what happens when you walk into something invisible.

Only an issue if he finishes the move in the invisible guy space, otherwise the NPC can voluntarily let him through (sort of like the overrun works).

nedz
2014-09-05, 04:15 PM
The rules are silent on this.

I think it would depend on whether he was expecting an invisible wall — I'm guessing there are several around the maze ?

If he ran into an invisible wall by surprise, then I'd end his move action. This is the shock of discovering that there is an invisible maze here.
If he was feeling carefully for them — then that might mean moving at half speed ?
If he had encountered them before then I'd probably just dock 5' of movement.

ZatriX
2014-09-05, 04:44 PM
The rules are silent on this.

I think it would depend on whether he was expecting an invisible wall — I'm guessing there are several around the maze ?

If he ran into an invisible wall by surprise, then I'd end his move action. This is the shock of discovering that there is an invisible maze here.
If he was feeling carefully for them — then that might mean moving at half speed ?
If he had encountered them before then I'd probably just dock 5' of movement.

It was a surprise yes. A very nasty one, I might add (he-he).

So a house rule then. I think I will stick with 1/2 speed.

atemu1234
2014-09-05, 04:46 PM
I'm fairly certain he can still take the rest of his move action.